2013 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 072016

Car will stall and go into limp mode, yellow wrench appears on left hand display. This has happened twice within the last 3 months, once in the middle lane of a rush hour freeway travelling at 40mph. I was lucky to get across to the shoulder before I lost all momentum. No response when pushing the accelerator, engine shakes badly. Have to restart the car in order to continue travel. All research points to faulty electronic throttle body. Ford service center advisers agree but refuse to perform repair under warranty as there are no codes. The codes get wiped after restarting the engine.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds and attempting to accelerate quickly, the vehicle stalled. The service engine soon warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer; however, the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 032016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. It was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new throttle body. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 52,400.

- Pinson, AL, USA

May 252016

Purchased this vehicle March 29, 2016. Less than 2 months later the vehicle started randomly stalling and going into limp mode and I had to pull over on the busy DC highway with 2 small children in the back which was extremely dangerous. The check engine light and a wrench light came on but it cut off after a restart. Auto zone couldnt read the codes unless the car was malfunctioning at the time which happens randomly. Since the car is still within the powertrain warranty I took it to the Ford dealership and they diagnosed it as P2111 electric throttle body failure. The advisor agreed that this has been a common problem in Ford models and I read that a consumer safety program was started for other Ford models with the exact same problem. The advisor said it is not covered by the powertrain warranty and since there is no recall for this problem with Ford Edges I have to pay $800+ dollars to have it repaired. This is outrageous. Apparently someone has to lose their life before Ford issues a recall on this known issue. I hope the NHTSA steps in before something tragic happens! ive attached a picture showing the lights on the dash after about the 10th time the car stalled.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 132016

While the vehicle was in motion, driving down a state highway, it stopped responding to pressure on the accelerator.a light on the dash advised me to check the manual. I had to pull off the road, turn off the engine, then restart it, which reset the throttle an allowed me to continue home. This process was repeated three times on the interstate on my way to work. I had the same problem in January, when the dealership couldn't find the problem, and sent me home in a faulty vehicle, only to have it delivered to them via tow truck a day later, resulting in them replacing the throttle body. Five months later, I have the same problem, but the car is out of warranty, so they wont replace it. They do, however want to charge me a $120 diagnostic fee, after I told them exactly what the problem was. This has put my life in danger a total of six times, to date. It is a known problem. There should be a recall.

- Webster, FL, USA

Mar 312016

When turning into a drive way at low speeds the power steering gave out and the breaks and gas pedal were not responding and the low oil pressure to engine message came on the dash. I turned the car off and gave it a few minutes, and when I turned it back on and had it towed to a dealer they couldn't find any code nor could they replicate the problem after having for 3 days. I am worried if this happens again and at higher speeds like when on the highway. I have researched that Ford had similar issues with the throttle body on other models and years but not the 2013 Edge. This needs to be addressed.

- Tolland, CT, USA

Nov 112015

Edge 6-cyl

When driving my car the engine will go to idle with no warning. I can be making a turn, accelerating, or just cruising at speed. This has been recalled on most all other Ford vehicles. I could just get it replaced, but the issues is not only the throttle body, its the programming. If it finds an issue with the throttle body it gives up, and stalls. In the recalled Ford with this they have changed the programming so it keeps trying to accelerate, not just give up. With that being said there is no point to change it, it will only happen again after I spend $1000 to fix it. This is very dangerous! the first time I was making a left in to traffic and it cut out, lucky for everyone they had enough time to stop before I got T-boned my 3 lanes of traffic. Ford will not rectify this issue until more people die! please help with an investigation! codes given by obd2 are P2111 and P2112. At the same time. Thank you.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 022015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated without the brake pedal being depressed. The failure occurred on three other occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 142015

Driving Ford Edge 2013 approx. 40 mph on highway when the vehicle came to almost a dead stop. It seemed as if the brakes became fully engaged or the transmission seized. A truck behind us swerved and braked and almost crashed into us. My 2 children and I would have been killed. The vehicle shook violently as it moved about 2 mph. I barely was able to get it over to the right, off the highway. It would not go any further. A red wrench icon lit on the dash. I towed it to midway Ford. Service manager stated the throttle body part is defective and recalled, but resets itself if vehicle is turned off for a while, so if I did not turn off the vehicle, Ford would fix it for free. Since I turned off the vehicle and it reset, I had to pay him $900 to replace it. Since I did not have $900, he advised me to drive the vehicle very slowly on the right side of the road from now on, as a precaution so my children or I do not get injured or killed the next time it happens. If this is Ford's criteria for replacing this life threatening defective part, that it must be in active defect status when arriving at the dealer, then not only has Ford has found a way to beat paying for the 1.6 million vehicles they agreed to recall with this defect, since you can't drive the vehicle at 900 RPM to the dealer, or tow it while running, but Ford is getting rich off the recall (the part is about $185 and takes 15 minutes to replace), and 1.6 million people must pay Ford $900 to fix a recalled defective part.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 202015

I was driving to walmart when the vehicle suddenly dropped from 45mph to less than 3mph and no matter what input was given to the gas pedal the vehicle would not react. The tack was under 900 and on the left side of the dash a warning came up looking like a wrench. Once I pulled over tried to do a vehicle report and the vehicle was unable to do a maintenance check. Shut off engine and restarted the vehicle; no problems restarting the vehicle and no memories of why the engine did what it did (called "limp home status"). there is also no memory within the PCM about the vehicle going into this mode or why.this could be very dangerous if I was on a high way. A quick google search reveals hundreds of complaints of this happening; all with same resolution. The vehicle has no idea why it went into limp home and no memory of that status after restart.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Jul 012015

This incident has happened 4 times in the past month and a half. My car completely shuts off and I have no control over the steering or speed. When I restart my car, it turns on. There haven't been any check engine lights or other notifications until today when it happened for the fourth time and the low oil pressure indicator came on and in the indicator box a wrench is now displayed. The first incident I was pulling out of a parking lot into traffic when it happened. The second incident I was pulling into a parking lot. The third incident I was sitting at a red light attempting to accelerate and the car just shut down and this final incident I was driving approximately 5 mph and in traffic, the car just shut down. In all instances the car started back up but if this had happened in any instance that I was going faster or crossing an intersection, I fear I would be killed or injured. I have seen that there are other owners having the same complaint and I just fear that someone will die from this.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 212015

While coming off an on ramp from one highway to another doing approximately 60 mph my 2013 Ford Edge jerked, a wrench popped up on my dash, and it lost power. The accelerator did not work but the car was still idling. Luckily I was in the far left lane and there was an emergency lane on the left so I was able to coast to a stop. When I put my car in park, turned it off and turned it back on it was like nothing was wrong. The accelerator worked and the wrench was gone. However, this have since happened to be two more times and lower speeds. Both times luckily no one was behind me and when I turned the car back on everything worked. I have seen many other drivers who have had this same issue. It appears to be an issue with the throttle body. There should be a recall. This is extremely dangerous!

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 102015

I was driving my 2013 Ford Edge when I went to stop at a stop sign and the brake pedal was extremely hard to push. The car did not want to stop, it slowed but kept rolling forward while I was stomping on the brakes. It did it again when I was trying to park at a restaurant, the brake pedal was stuck and I kept rolling forward till the pedal gave and sunk to the floor board and the car finally jerked to a stop. After those 2 incidents my husband drove it to the Ford dealership in town, while he was driving it he almost rear ended the vehicle in front of him. The dealer tested the brake booster and it failed. The dealer replaced the brake booster. There were no warning signs that the brakes were going bad, all of a sudden I couldn't stop my car, I'm really cornered that this could happen again and that I may end up in an accident.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Apr 212015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving at 3 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of a vehicle and into the passenger side of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained minor bruises that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto body repair center. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Troy , MI, USA

Feb 272015

Edge 4-cyl

While driving my 2013 Ford Edge lost all power in a turn. The engine shut down, the low oil light came on and I had a hard time steering the car due to the lost of power and the car still in drive. Fortunately no one was behind me or in front of me at the time. Upon reading several forums on this problem I find that I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem as it appears this problem has been happening for years. What does it take to get a recall on this problem, a fatal accident? I'll be taking my car to the dealer since I drive in traffic every day and I can't afford this to happen in that condition, but it sounds like the dealer won't do anything about the problem as per previous posts indicate such.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

May 122014

Edge 4-cyl

At least five separate times, while driving at high rates of speed, my 2013 Ford Edge will begin to hesitate and shudder. The check engine light begins to flash and then the vehicle suddenly loses power. I can barely keep the vehicle going at about 20 miles an hour. I can generally coast to the side of the road or freeway. I have to turn off the vehicle and let it sit for several minutes before I can turn it back on and restore power to drive it. It is still under warranty. I have had the vehicle into the Ford dealer service three times for this problem. They cannot diagnose and replicate the problem. Despite the check engine light being on, the computer is throwing no error messages. This is a very unsafe and scary situation. I refuse to drive the vehicle again. To do so would put myself in danger, my passengers and other drivers in danger. I have applied to Ford Motor Company for a buy back under their "reacquisition program" but was told on January 8, 2015 that the vehicle does not qualify under California lemon law. I was given no explanation or opportunity to discuss this decision with Ford. My problem sounds very similar to what is described in this article, although my Edge is a 4-cylinder with an eco-boost engine.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Apr 262013

Edge 6-cyl

Federal should start investigate on the Edge issues, I have researched on people who own Ford Edge, they have the same problem that I am having now. My 2013 Edge is having a smell rubber or burning when you hard on the gas pedal and will smell burning, that will cause my wife and I have a headache really bad from this smell. I keep took my SUV to the Ford, but they keep telling me they don't see any problem but over 81 people who complain about that issues so I think it is time for federal to take the action! I am consider to hire the lawyer and sue Ford because I believe that Ford do knows but won't admit it.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 282014

Edge 6-cyl

We're keeping smell burning "rubber burning" smell like a fire burn. Transmission fluid was empty and no fluid there with no leaking, I had to pour fluid. Took this to dealership, they seems do not want to help or something like that. They were told me it was fine, didn't see anything wrong which this is not first time that I complain about that. I have decided to read another people who complain about smell issues so I am not only one. It has also not control very well when I was speeding.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 192014

Edge 6-cyl

My wife was driving the 2013 Edge when she stop in a left turn lane. She found the road was clear and stepped on the gas but the car did not go forward. Instead a warning message popped out saying the engine level is too low. Then she turned off the engine and restarted the car. Same thing happened and the car just didn't accelerate. At last she managed to coast the car to the roadside and called me for help. I arrived in about 20 mins, checked the oil level and coolant temp but found nothing wrong. So I restarted the car and this time it could accelerate as usual. After getting home I contacted the Ford roadside assist and had them tow the car to the nearby dealer. There they scanned the car but all tests passed and no code had been recorded. The explanation given by the Ford hotline is that the boa(brake over accelerator) feature reduces engine power during off-idle driving when the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously. I think that doesn't make any sense. I also tried to step on both the brake and gas with one foot but there is no way you can duplicate the problem. This will be really scary if it happens on the freeway. I feel so frustrated by Ford.

- High Point, NC, USA

Dec 242013

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven and approached a stop sign. When driver attempted to apply the brakes, the accelerator was stuck and did not slow down. The vehicle ran through the stop sign, struck a fence and then 2 other vehicles before coming to a stop.

- Dallas, TX, USA