1998 Ford F-150 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford F-150:

1998 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jun 012002

F-150

Tire blewout while traveling the Ohio turnpike. Tread separated from tire.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 032002

F-150 6-cyl

Consumer noticed a bubble in middle of the tire on a 1998, Ford, F150, original equipment, tire size P235/70R16, dot# A308443268. Dealer was not notified at this time. Feel free to provide any further information.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 222001

F-150

While traveling at the speed limit on I-295 in jacksonville Florida a Bridgestone tire mounted on the left rear of my vehicle suffered a blow out. While blow outs do occur, in this instance the tread came completely of the tire prior to a very violent explosion of the tire. This caused extensive damage to my vehicle and loss of control. I have contacted Bridgestone regarding this, and they have chosen to deny, and ignore the problem. The tire had plenty of tread and appeared in good condition. It was being operated at the correct pressure of 44lbs cold. I am extremely worried that Bridgestone may be hideing a problem that good possably cost someone there life. (dot number: 7B73pua189 tiresize: P265/75R16)

- Griffin, GA, USA

Aug 102001

F-150

Over the course of two week the tire got a bulge and started pulling apart

- Clouis, CA, USA

Sep 302001

F-150

Partial tread separation and subsequent blowout. (tiresize: 235/70/R16)

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Sep 302001

F-150

Had a tire blowout while on interstate. Goodyear dealer inspected tire and determined that there was no cuts or punctures that caused the blowout.Goodyear offered a discount on a new tire based on tread wear.Goodyear dealers, however do not have the tire needed. I contacted Goodyear and they said they are on back order and I should just but a used tire to use until tires are available.I don't want to use any used tires and I am now afraid of my other tires on any interstate driving.Goodyear was very uncooperative to try to help me in any way except to say they don't have my particular tire. I would be willing to upgrade to a better tire and install a complete new set if they would consider their discout on the better tires. I feel that I have not been treated fairly as the tire defect was not any fault of mine...can your organization help me in any way? I have some more interstate trips to make and do not feel safe without having new tires installed.nd. (tiresize: P275/60R17)

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 242001

F-150

Tire separated causing damage.contiental refuses to pay claim. (dot number: A308443417 tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 222001

F-150

Firestone, wilderness ht, size 15, P235-70R16 W2081pt257: While traveling at 70mph and without any indication, tires had a blowout. The tire that blew was the left rear tire and tires had just been rotated and aligned.

- Charenton, LA, USA

Jul 292001

F-150

I was driving on a local highway at 70 mph and luckily my sister was driving behind me and noticed my passenger side rear tire going low. I began to merge my truck over to the emergency lane when the tire completely failed and the rear of the truck began to swerve. Once I pulled over and looked at the tire I saw a six inch gash roughly one inch from the raised Firestone letering running horizontal with the seam of the tread. Another gash was observed in the same location smaller in size but on the same seam roughly twelve inches from the six inch gash. Although my tire is not on recall I would like to have my tire inspected by the NHTSA so that if there is a defect in this particular tire a warning can be submitted before other accidents or injuries occur.thank you for your concern, jason kominoth. (dot number: W2081pt238 tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 172001

F-150

Heading in to work on Tuesday, July 17th, I experienced a blowout on the left-rear tire of my Ford F-150 pickup truck. I was the only person in the vehicle at this particular time. I didn't think much of this event until I heard the news today about these tires being investigated by NHTSA. From my observation, this occurrence was due to a vertical rip in the side wall and not directly related tread separation. I'm looking to purchase a replacement set tires this coming weekend for the vehicle. I would like to be updated on the latest investigation status of this model tire and if I should preceed with my current purchase. A timely response would be appreciated. Thank you! (tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Reno, TX, USA

Jun 032001

F-150

Left rear tire failure at a speed of 65mph. Very little traffic on road. The tread completely separated from the left rear tire. Truck veered into the left lane of a 4 lane highway. Tire did not blow. Truck was brought under control and left rear tire was changed. Unable to put fuel in truck due to fuel line being torn out of place and dangling from underneath the truck. Damage was $1400 to left rear section of truck. All tires were replaced at a cost of $630. Continental tire was notified and a claim filed for property damage. Claim no. C-11107. (dot number: A308443387 tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Valparaiso, FL, USA

Jul 052001

F-150

Consumer states there is a thumping noise while driving, tires have been rotated and balanced, also dealer kept the vehilce for one day but could not duplicate the problem, consumer states he knows there is a problem with the tire, he is not requesting four brand new tires but wants the bad tire replaced. (Firestone wilderness ht P235/70R161043)

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 092001

F-150

I was traveling at posted speed limit of 65 mph on South-bound freeway near ashlan avenue in fresno when the problem occurred. Initially, I thought I had hit something in road and it got caught in the undercarriage. There was a violent vibration for approximately 200 feet. I immediately slowed and got in the center lane making my way off the freeway and 3-miles to my place of employment. I got out of the truck, checked for damage and found there was no tread on the tire and my left rear fender was thrashed. I can provide digital photos of the damage caused by the complete separation of the tread from the tire. (dot number: A308443367 tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 141999

F-150

It was about 8:00 am and I had driven less than 10 miles on a paved 2-lane road. The tire didn't seem to blow out, it just disentigrated. I did not have anything in tha back of the truck and the tires were inflated at 35psi. I haven't trusted them since. (tiresize: 235/70R16)

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jul 212001

F-150

I prucahsed my new truck on or about Sept 1998. Since then I have not had but prblems with the Firestone tires. They rode like you were driving down a rocky road I tried rotaing them and keep a close eye on the air pressure of the tires. The two front tires were real bad and I ended up just buying two more from the local Firestone dealer in greenville, ky. I am a ky state police trooper and now when there is something wrong with a tire they felt as if they were out of round but could not convince the Firestone dealer so I just bout two more. I moved the two rear tires up front and put the two new ones on the back. Even with the before the new tires I noticed that the tires did not maintain a constant air presuure in them and recently during the hot weather we have been having here I have to add additional air to the tires. I have contacted Firestone and Ford about this but no one is saying anything. In the comming week I am going to buy me 4 new tires and just get them off I dont trust them if you would like them I would be happy to give them to you for futher tests.

- Powderely, KY, USA

Jun 212001

F-150

While driving 70mph vehicle started to vibrate for a short before a loud bang was heard. Left rear tire had shredded and caused aluminum wheel to be damaged. Had replaced tire with spare. Took tire to retailer, and mechanic could not locate reason for blowout.

- Ivanhoe, CA, USA

Jul 032001

F-150

1st tire separated in April 2001, and 2nd tire blew apart (separated) yesterday (July 3, 2001)on highway. (dot number: W2081pt198 tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 312001

F-150

Tires replaced in 1999 with tires same as original. (tiresize: 16)( dot number: Tire size: 16 )

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Apr 012001

F-150

Mechanic was checking brakes and got his finger caught on a wire coming out of front passenger's tire. In middle of tread steel belts were coming through around entire tire. Consumer had a 1998, Ford, F150 pickup with orginal tires, size P235/70R16, approximate 29,000 miles. Vehicle hasn't hauled any heavy loads. Firestone was contacted, and they stated they had no obligation to replace tires.

- Sheridan, OR, USA

Mar 182001

F-150

I live in the Florida keys where it is pretty warm but where the maximum speed limit is 55mph and mostly much less. There are few high speed (highway) miles on my tires. Having said that, I drove to port orange (daytona beach), Florida to see my father who recently had surgery and on the way home (only 8 miles into the return trip) I suddenly got a vibration in the ride. I was doing the speed limit of 70mph on the interstate I-95. I pulled over and checked my tires and didn't see anything and so assumed the problem was the road. I then drove a short distance and changed lanes but the vibration didn't go away so I kept to a lower speed (around 50) and took the next exit where I pulled into a parking lot and did a detailed examination of my tires. What I found was a raised area on the tread of the front left (driver's side) tire. It was approximately 12 inches long and 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide. It was difficult to detect visually because it was not raised very high but was easy to detect by running my hands around the tread of the entire wheel. I checked all other tires and didn't notice a problem so I located (with the telephonic assistance from my parents) a Firestone dealer back in port orange where I had just come from and drove there. At first the guy in charge told me I would have a 2 hour wait since he had lots of paying customers in front of me but after explaining (rather forcefully) that this was an emergency problem due to a defective product and that I had an 8 hour drive ahead of me that his product had already delayed by at least 1 1/2 hours he finally told me he would get me in the bay in an hour. At first, he was only going to replace the one tire. I insisted they inspect all the tires and it was a good thing I did... they found the tread on the right front was also separating and that it was also dangerous and would need to be replaced which they did. I want the remaining two replaced. (tiresize: P235/70R16)

- Sugarloaf Key, FL, USA