3.3

1999 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford F-150:

1999 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Mar 272009

F-150

On four separate occasions, the vehicle began idling and accelerating roughly for about 2 days. The check engine light would come on after about a day. The problem would stop and the light would go out before I had the chance to take it to a shop. This last time, March 27, 2009 it had been raining for a day or two. I went to start the truck and the engine was idling and accelerating roughly again. Upon taking it to a local repair shop, I was told that the rear two coil packs had failed and that this was a common problem with this model. It was explained to me that the rain run off from the vehicle dripped onto the rear two coil packs and would cause premature failure. The problem started at about 71,000 miles and was repaired at just over 72,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

Mar 072009

F-150

Went outside to start my truck 1999 Ford F-150 5.4L. As soon as I started the truck I heard a loud banging, shut the truck off, open the hood, and a spark plug had blown out the head ripping all the threads out and breaking the coil. So now my $14000 truck is useless. My only options include $3000 for new heads or a heli coil kit which will eventually allow the same problem or worse to occur.

- Woodward, OK, USA

Oct 162004

F-150

The number 3 spark plug blew out of my 1999 F150 while pulling away from a stop light. The aluminum head has only 4 threads holding the plug in place, clearly a design defect. I had both heads removed and had all eight holes repaired...total cost was about $3,000. There was 80,000 miles on the truck at the time. Ford should stand behind their product!

- Winona, MN, USA

Jun 142008

F-150

My 1999 Ford F150 ejected a spark plug - damaging other parts as it ejected - this is a manufacturing defect that needs a recall a fire can easily happen in this situation.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Nov 012007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Spark plug blew out of cylinder head while driving down the highway. The thyreads in the cylinder head were sheared off. This vehicle (1999 Ford F-150, 4.6L engine) has not been fixed due to excessive costs of repair.

- Troutman, NC, USA

Mar 162006

F-150 8-cyl

While driving to work at 5:30 am, a load noise came from the engine compartment. The truck would barely run and required a tow, the dealer ship said that the spark plug had ejected from the engine due to stripped threads in the block. Also I have complained about the truck losing oil and the smell of burned oil on an off since I purchased the truck in 2000. The dealership could never find a problem. The leak is now worse with oil on the garage floor for the past year and the smell of burned oil more often. I suspect the head gasket from reading other reports on the internet.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Dec 062006

Blown head gasket.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Oct 102006

F-150 6-cyl

Truck started missing, sputtering, pinging, running on 3 cylinders. Valve spring broke in engine.

- Union City, CA, USA

Oct 162006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased my '99 Ford F-150 in the spring of '04. At the time of purchase the truck had just over 49,000 miles on it. This past Monday (10/16/06) while pulling out of a local parking lot, the #2 spark plug was ejected out of the right cylinder head, ripping out the threads that the spark plug screws into & destroying the coil pack located directly above. My truck on the day of failure had 81,790 miles on it. That's 18,210 miles short if the trucks first manufactures suggested 100,000 mile tune-up. Ford will not even consider the thought of making this manufacturer's defect right. They simply told me that the head would need to be replaced at my expense and at the cost of $2,800 to $3,000. It's a design flaw!!! the aluminum heads for the 5.4 L engines were engineered with an inadequate number of threads needed to retain the spark plugs. There are only 4 to 5 threads tapped into these heads (approx. 1/4" to 5/16" in length) today is October 19th and I have purchased a repair kit manufactured by dorman products to fix this stripped out spark plug myself. This kit is specifically made by dorman not Ford, to fix this problem of Ford 5.4L engines. It's really sad that Ford has to use the consumers as guinea pigs and then fail so miserably to back their product. I'm hesitant to check the torque of the other seven plugs in fear that they will not withstand the recommended 25 foot pounds of torque required to tighten them up but if I don't then it's russia roulette as to when the next one will blow out and where I will be stranded when it does. I expect Ford to stand behind their product 110%, especially when it is a well known fact by Ford and the consumer that there is an engineering flaw with the design of the 5.4L engines aluminum heads produced between years of 1997 through 2002.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Sep 012006

F-150

I have a 99 F150 with less than 60K miles on it. While driving to work a spark plug blew out. Repair was not able to be done on the head. Head replacement was $3600 engine replacement was $5000. I replaced the engine with the same type of faulty engine... how long until it happens again??

- Mcloud , OK, USA

Aug 012006

F-150 8-cyl

99 Ford F-150 197K miles. Cylinder #3 spark plug blow out. Almost broke fuel rail. No fire heads replaced. Seeking reimbursement from Ford $3150.

- Geneseo, IL, USA

Jul 112006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Oil leak in head gasket due to manafacturing defect. I see many other owners have the same problem. Truck is out of warrenty and repair is very costly. Ford is aware of the problem but is not helping owners.

- Menominee, MI, USA

May 242006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

When I started my vehicle their was a loud popping noise, further investigation showed the #2 cylinder coil was jumping up and down. When I pulled the coil out the spark plug came with it. The aluminum engine head had stripped out the threads that hold the spark plug. Further dealing w/ Ford dealership, as to how to fix the problem, is to replace the head at a cost of $2500 plus.

- Argyle, NY, USA

Apr 142006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My Ford F 150 blew the #3 spark plug out of the head on good Friday. The truck lost power but was still drivable. The event occurred on I 39 North of madison wi. Had I not known what to do it may have resulted in an accident. Cost to fix this failure was 4200 dollars. Dealership replaced the entire cylinder head.

- Thomson, IL, USA

Feb 252006

F-150 8-cyl

Spark plug blew out of engine causing engine head damage. This cost over $3000 to repair and I understand may happen again at any time with any of the 8 spark plugs.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Feb 262006

F-150 10-cyl

While driving my 1999 Ford Triton V-10 powered C-class motorhome in heavy traffic the engine made a loud bang. After the bang it continued to rattle badly and mis-fire. Worked my way across traffic and stopped in a no parking zone for 2 hrs awaiting a tow truck. We were in a fairly un-safe position, as the shoulder was limited and it was on the exit route for the California speedway just after a nascar race. The repair shop has told me that a spark plug blew out of the cylinder head. I'm learning that this is a common occurrence on this model engine.

- Simi Valley , CA, USA

Feb 172005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

1999 Ford F-150 with a 5.4L Triton V8 engine... problem: Blown spark plug after work, while accelerating onto the freeway, the engine made a "pop" noise, and then began to sound like a steam engine. The engine was running rough and loud, thus I pulled over on the side of the road. I was concerned that I may have blown a spark plug (or possibly a valve) and didn't want to set the engine on fire. I was stranded until I could get roadside assistance. Dealer claims that the entire head needs to be replaced for the blown spark plug with a newly designed head. Other options include to retread the blown spark plug. Seems like a design flaw based on the large number of other users w/ the same problem.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 102005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving the truck home, about a mile out after being on the highway, there was a loud bang. The spark plug had been shot out of it's place, per a shop owner. Not sure why it happened yet. It was stated to us that Ford has many complaints of this happening to their trucks. We have a 99 F150 and wondering if there are more such complaints and if so what can we do to push the issue. It could get someone hurt at some point!

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 062005

F-150 8-cyl

Spark plug blew off when I turned my truck on. Ford recommends new engine because apparently it happens often. There is currently no recall for this problem. Truck needs repair.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 092005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have had different two spark plugs blow out of the head at different times. A heli coil was used to fix the problem.

- Camdenton, MO, USA