2001 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 062016

While driving into town at 65 mph the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably I applied my brake and it resumed to 65 for about 2 seconds then accelerated again. I tried the brakes again and they went to the floor. In order to stop I pushed the gear shift into park forcibly. The truck went into a spin and crashed into a concrete barrier..

- Golden Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 122016

There has been no incident as yet but the frame of this vehicle has such extreme corrosion that certified mechanics are reluctant to work on this vehicle since they are concerned about a failure occurring at connection point where the steering and suspension connects to the frame of the vehicle. Their concern is a loss of control of the vehicle if any of the steering or suspension connection points fail due to the severely corroded frame. This is not surface corrosion, the metal is flaked and separated and it is the entire frame of the vehicle. I had just spent $4,000 to replace the entire exhaust system from the exhaust manifold back to the tail pipe and the mechanic is warning me about the safety of the suspension and steering components because of the extreme corrosion. The vehicle only has 77, 000 original miles and has never been in severe weather conditions.

- Washingtonville, NY, USA

Dec 132015

I have a 2001 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 super crew just hit 100000 miles and my frame snapped in half while driving with my wife and four kids in the car was stopped at a light when turn green went to take off and it snapped in half the state I live in it needs to be scraped because they will not inspect a welded frame I am seriously disappointed this needs to be felt with a 11 year old truck frame should not brake like this I have a 89 Ford F-150 N it's frame is is in slit better condition than this I am not happy

- Norwich, NY, USA

Sep 202015

All I know is I was at a neighbors for around 1 1/2 hours and we hear a loud boom. We ran out side and my truck hood was on fire, it burned everything visible on top of the motor and toward the driver firewall. It busted the driver side tire and completely burned everything visible under the hood. The dash components as far as the eye can see are not bad, unknown of internal damage.I'm not sure what caused the problem. I did go to the recall site to see if there may have been something I did find this control switch for speed recall and not sure if it applies to mine.even though it brought it up when I entered my VIN #. I did receive a recall on the gas tank straps but did not replace them they were in great shape. But I did not receive on on this. I do have pictures if you need them. Thanks

- Blaine, KY, USA

Dec 192014

I had my truck in park I proceeded to get into the truck with my right leg on the running board left leg on the ground, I grabbed the steering wheel to pull myself inside of the truck and it popped from park to reverse and proceeded to drag me down the hill in reverse for roughly 45 feet. I tried to get away from it and could not, and it ran over my two legs in the thigh areas. After I was taken to the er.

- Aromas, CA, USA

May 192011

May 19, 2011 at around 4:20 am we were awaken by our neighbors that our truck was on fire. Our 2001 Ford F150 was on fire, an explosion had made a huge hole in the hood on the front of the driver side. The truck had last been driven the morning of May 17, 2011 and had been sitting in our driveway since then. The firemen said the fire was due to electrical wiring. We always kept up with all required maintenance. We had no idea of the problems Ford were having, we now only have one vehicle to get around and the worst part is that it's a 2004 Ford F250 which could also be a recall vehicle. Our income is very tight because my mother is very sick and we are sending money for her medication and expenses, we have no way of getting another vehicle. Our Ford F250 is a diesel and diesel fuel is very high. Someone please help! not sure what we're suppose to do or if Ford will be responsible.

- Fort Worth, Texas, 76110, TX, USA

Aug 012010

Gas tank is leaking and straps are rotted.

- Charlton, MA, USA

May 052011

The truck had been parked with ignition off for 4 hours in the parking lot behind my office. I was inside and heard the horn blow. About a minute later I smelled something burning and thought the building was on fire. I was in panic state running room to room trying to find where the smell was coming from. I then noticed smoke coming in the air vents of the building (my truck was parked less than 3 feet from the air conditioning central unit). I went out the back door and the truck was engulfed in flames. This all happened in 10 minutes or less. Two employees parked next to mine had just left 15 minutes prior to me finding the truck in flames and had noticed nothing. There was a recall a cruise control switch and I had taken it to the dealership to have mine disconnected a few years back. I have no idea what started the fire but apparently it is quite common in Ford F-series trucks around the 2001 year model to spontaneously catch fire even if they have been sitting for a while with the ignition off.

- Corinth, MS, USA

Mar 282010

I was driving down the highway at 70 mph when my Ford F-150 blew out the #3 sparkplug resulting in having to slow way down, fuel vapor filling my cab and a very rough ride. I have taken it to my repair shop where they will attempt to retap the hole, put in a new plug and see if that works. If not, they told me we are looking at having to remove the entire head. I did not realize how common this was with Ford until I researched online today. I also did not realize the severity of continuing to drive it to the shop this morning as I have read that the fuel vapor could ignite while running.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 182009

Fire under the hood of my 2001 Ford F150.

- W.P.B., FL, USA

Jul 162008

Parked truck at approx 8:45pm, 7/15. Found truck completely burned, some plastics still burning, upon waking at approx 6:30am, 7/16. Truck was parked 4 to 5 feed from house. House only slightly damaged; however, it is a miracle house and surrounding trees did not catch fire.

- Pembroke, KY, USA

May 162008

I have a 2001 F-150 Triton 5.4 liter Ford with 85,000 miles on it -- it blew out the number 3 cylinder spark plug stripping the threads and breaking the coil pack. I heard a ticking sound for a few weeks prior and had it checked at a shop and they thought it wasn't a bad problem -- 3 days later it blew out the plug.

- Medford, OR, USA

Dec 162006

F-150 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Ford F-150. On December 16,2006 it caught fire and is now considered a total loss by our insurance company. It has completely burned to the ground. Only the shell of the vehicle and the two flat rear tires are left. The insurance company at this time has not told me the reason this has happened. On Dec. 16th my fiance had driven it into town that morning and returned home and parked it in the yard next to our mobile home. He arrived back at home at about 9:30 am. He took another vehicle down to our neighbors house to do some work on it and about 2:00 pm someone else in our neighborhood came to get him saying his truck was on fire. The fire department said the fire did start in the engine compartment. As a result of the fire our siding on our house was melted and we had a motor home parked in front of it also that had some damage to it. If it was a windy day the flames would have reached the house and it would have burnt to the ground. We have not had any problems with the truck before this had happened. Now that this has happened I have heard of people talking about other truck fires and have found other incidents of this happening while doing research on the internet. This is how I found out about this site and I thought I should report our fire.

- Hernando, FL, USA

Aug 202005

F-150 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Ford F-150 with 82,000 miles on it and I have had problems with the spark plugs on the heads. There is no recall on the heads which I've read in many different websites this seems like a common problem that many 99-03 Ford F-150 owners are going through. Ford Motor Company needs to make a recall and fix this problem soon or else they will lose a lot of customers.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Aug 052005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The odometer of a 2001 F150 Ford supercrew shows intermittently on the instrument cluster. The dealer wants to replace the cluster stating it is required by the state to see the odometer mileage and it may be tied into the vehicle anti-theft device. I was under the impression the the FMVSS had a requirement that the odometer should normally work for the life of the vehicle. Ford does have technical bullitins internally that show they know of the wire cracking problem on the clusters.

- Brighton, VA, USA

Apr 012005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Consumer of a 2001 Ford F150 wants recall notices sent to them instead of their neighbor ( the previous owner of the vehicle). The consumer was not recieving recall letters; recall campaign# 01V082000, 00V396000, 01V227001, 00V348000, 01V095000 and 01V258000.

- Holcombe, WI, USA

Jan 012003

Fax E-mail fm greg johnson (ky) the consumer was concerned of a potential health hazard to occupants in his vehicle in which they inhale white particles that come from the ventilation system.

- Fort Mitchell, KY, USA

Oct 202001

F-150 8-cyl

Fatal accident involving a 2001 Ford svt F-150 pickup. While driving the vehicle entered a curve to the right which resulted in the driver losing control of the vehicle. The vehicle continued to skid uncontrollably until it ran off to the right shoulder, struck a street sign before striking a driveway culvert and vaulting into the air. After the first contact with the ground the vehicle rolled over ejecting both occupants. Neither of the two occupants were wearing a seat belt. Speed may have been a factor in the accident. (nar)

- Union County, GA, USA

Oct 012004

Re: safety Ford F-150. The consumer wanted to thank the manufacturer for sending him a safety brochure.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

Apr 192003

F-150 8-cyl

Lost the plug on the number 3 cylinder on the passenger side. I own 2001 F-150 lightning. I have no mods. The vehicle has 24,300 miles.

- Pearland, TX, USA