2001 Ford F-150 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 202016

F-150

Driver seat belt will not retract or extend belt cannot be buckled. Sometimes if I speed up to around 30 mph belt will release but hard to buckle while driving.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Jul 132016

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While driving 20 mph, the driver and passenger seat belts became unlatched without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 162,000.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 312016

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While driving the vehicle, the seat belt loosened. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 01V227001 (seat belts). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 255,506.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012015

F-150

2 out of 3 of my seat belts will not latch. I contacted Ford and advised them O found a recall online about this. Ford stated recalls are VIN specific. I advised Ford that many people have reported this same issue online and found a recall. Ford refuses to fix it from Ford dealership level to customer relations level. It has been this way since I bought the vehicle unknown how long ago it started.

- Greensboro, FL, USA

Jan 042015

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the front driver side safety belt unlatched as the seat belt warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000....updated 02/08/16

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Sep 152015

F-150

I didn't even know this website existed. Found it in aaa westways magazine. The date and mileage I submitted is not accurate because this event happened on/off about 5-7 years ago. Intermittently the drivers seatbelt will unbuckle by itself while driving. I contacted our local Ford dealer and asked if they knew of any recalls and they stated "no". I definitely feel this is a serious safety issue especially now that my daughters are driving now. Can you please help to get this problem fixed? thank you for your help.

- Monrovia, CA, USA

Jul 192015

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 15 mph over railroad tracks, the seat belt inadvertently loosened. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was not taken in for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 81,635.

- Helena, MT, USA

Mar 012012

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the front driver side seat belt unlatched independently while driving. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 01V227000 (seat belts). The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Lima, OH, USA

Dec 012014

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the driver side seat belt failed to latch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Midlothian , VA, USA

Jan 142012

F-150 8-cyl

While shifting about in the driver's seat to back up and look rearward to guide the vehicle in reverse, the driver's seat belt unexpectedly came unbuckled and began to retract. I thought that I must have been at fault and not properly buckled it even though the normal warning lite and sounds indicating an unbuckled seat belt were not evident. Owners began to "tug" the belt after latching it each time to ensure proper closure and verify buckle engaged. The same events, usually encountered while shifting position in the driver's seat, happened repeatedly even though buckles initial engagement had been test verified by the driver each time. We were obviously concerned that in any accident, that belt might disengage and cause us increased harm as a result. We took to dealership and asked if any recalls or customer complaints had prompted the manufacturer to fix stated issue with safety equipment. Champion Ford (an autonation dealership) in houston on katy freeway stated no known issues or complaints. Being a master certified technician for over 20 years myself, I asked them to contact manufacturer on our behalf ask for assistance to prevent these issues, which was denied by Ford and no assistance provided. I theorized and inspected the mechanisms myself and requested they provide me, at our cost, the driver's side buckle mechanism that bolts to the floor on the inside edge of the driver's seat. I installed the component myself and have not had a single issue subsequent to that installation proving beyond a shadow the buckle mechanism is defective, both in not warning us and physically not engaging 100%. I waited this long to ensure the issue was resolved, and having moved our home, to again locate that replacement part which would be available to NHTSA at no cost, or Ford (at replacement value I paid) for inspection. Part number 1L7Z 7861203 aag.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Jul 022010

F-150 8-cyl

All the seatbelts are broken or want latch.

- Varnville, SC, USA

Oct 242014

F-150

For several months the drivers side seat belt will unlatch while driving. There seems to be no reason for it to unlatch as it will do it at all speeds usually several times a day.

- Indio, CA, USA

Jul 262013

F-150 8-cyl

While driving, the seatbelt clip will release from the catch, causing the belt to retract and become ineffective while in motion. This has happened several times, and under various driving conditions. I can find no reason for this to happen exterior of the installed equipment. My vehicle had the seatbelt retractor replaced after receiving a recall notice several years ago. This appears to not have anything to do with that recall.

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Jan 312002

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the passenger's side seat belt became unbuckled independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be repaired under a manufacturer's recall but no failure was determined. The contact also stated that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jan 072009

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that both the front driver and passenger side seatbelt buckles would unlatch independently. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 01V227001 (seat belts) in 2001. The failure recurred recently. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Lawton, MI, USA

Dec 132006

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the driver and passenger side seat belts would not latch. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer or a mechanic to have the seat belts inspected. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was 142,000.

- Lawton, MI, USA

Nov 012011

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the front driver's seat belt would not attach into its buckle. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the rear windshield was leaking. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and informed the contact that there were no recalls addressing the failures. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Bloomery, WV, USA

Jul 052011

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. While driving approximately 25 mph, the front passenger seat belt buckle released and failed to close in a secured position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the seat belt assembly would need to be replaced due to a defective spring in the seat belt buckle. The vehicle had been previously repaired for the same failure in July of 2003 under NHTSA campaign id number: 01V227001 (seat belts: Front: Buckle assembly). The failure recurred but the part needed for repairs was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Star City, WV, USA

May 012011

F-150 8-cyl

Two of the seat belt buckles in the rear have failed. The literally fell apart and when reassembled, no longer work properly in that they fail to latch. This is a different failure mode than my driver seat buckle that had false latching and was the subject of a recall for some vins (not mine).

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Jan 012010

F-150

When vehicle is moving, sitting idle at a traffic light driver side seat belt unlatches. This is not an every day occurrence but probably several times a month. The vehicle has been owned and used by my family since it was new. Our son used it for a few years until gas became too expensive so then I got it back. He said that on occasion the same thing had happened to him and his girlfriend/now wife sometimes had the seat belt unlatch on the front passenger side. When I called to find out from Ford last summer if there were a recall on the seat belts, I was told no; I was also told that probably I was just not latching it securely. Many times when I think about it, I listen for the click or will actually press the button to unlatch then push it back in to again hear the click. Sometimes even after I have done this, the seat belt quietly unlatches. For a very long time - and the date of the first incident is entirely wrong as I know I've had it happen probably that I can remember back into at least 2007 or 2008. Originally I didn't think about it but did assume I had not securely latched it. Now I know it is the Ford seat belt and not me. Since I finally remembered to write it down, I will be getting it fixed but believe that Ford is at fault, this should be recalled, and I should not be charged. This never happens when braking so far.

- Spanish Fort, AL, USA