2002 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 182008

F-150

My Ford F-150 got on fire because Ford failed to send me a recall letter. I only received a letter in March/08 telling me that the parts to be replaced would be available on may/08.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 202008

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. After the vehicle had been parked for seven or eight hours, it caught fire. The fire inspector stated that the fire originated from the vehicle speed control. The contact stated that he never received a safety recall notice. A fire report was filed. The contact has pictures. The current and failure mileages were 168,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 162008

F-150

On the night of June 16th 2008 just before midnite, I heard an explosion then car horn blaring. I looked outside and saw my 2002 Ford F-150 on fire. Flames were shooting out from the engine through the hole from the explosion on the drivers side. I yelled to my wife, call the fire department my truck is on fire. My truck had been parked in my driveway for over 7 hours. I got home from work at 4:30 parked my truck and was dozing off just before midnite. I never received a recall notice from Ford so was unaware there was a problem until I googled Ford 2002 F-150 fires. Then I kept reading story after story on Consumer Affairs website. Amazing I never heard of this before this.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

May 172008

F-150 6-cyl

My 2002 F150 has started accelerating without warning on it's own. I am a certified mechanic and suggested to the dealer that there may be an issue with the speed control module, they denied any issues of such. My wife experienced this several times and at one time causing her to almost be hit my an oncoming train. Luckily she was smart enough to immediately throw it into neutral and brake, the train came within inches of the truck. Again Ford denies knowing of any suck issues with the acceleration. I believe this is a major safety hazard and should be resolved before someone is killed due to the lack of interest on Ford part.

- Corinth, TX, USA

May 102008

F-150 8-cyl

Our 2002 F-150, caught on fire underneath the hood Saturday 5/10/08 evening after being parked for 45 minutes at out home. We believe it had to do with the Ford recalls out on the speed control switch. It started where the brake fluid is located and burned to the master cylinder.

- Garner, NC, USA

Feb 292008

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Ford's recall about cruise control fires has been on cnn three times in the last few years. I have taken my vehicle to the dealer each time when the first two recalls came out. Each time I was told by the Ford dealer that they did not have the necessary parts to make the repair. I asked them to call me when the parts came in. I phoned phil white Ford on several occasions after that and was always told they still did not have the parts. Now I have a new Ford, same recall. It appears they are still using the defective cruise control part that have been used for the past 6 or so years.

- Payson, AZ, USA

Jun 022007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The dealer repaired the vehicle. Approximately five months later, the vehicle caught fire while parked. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was completely destroyed. A fire report was filed. He notified the manufacturer, but they would not provide any assistance. The fire burned his landscaping and his garden. The current and failure mileages were 84,000.

- Dacutur, GA, USA

Apr 032007

F-150 8-cyl

2002 Ford F150 truck that caught fire customer states that he was told that a factory recall caused the fire* the consumer stated on 4/3/07 he parked the vehicle, shortly thereafter a coworker informed the consumer the truck was on fire. The mechanic informed the consumer there was a recall on the truck that caused the fire. The consumer called Ford Consumer Affairs and informed them of the incident and they stated they would contact him in 7-10 days. Ford stated they sent recall notices and was not liable for fixing the defect.

- Coinjock, NC, USA

Aug 272006

F-150 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150 super cab. The vehicle accelerated without warning. While idle at a red light and with the brake pedal depressed the rpms increased from 800 to over 3000. With the brakes still depressed the vehicle accelerated into an intersection. The contact was required to stand while driving and depressed the brake pedal. Initially, the contact disregarded the incident, and assumed a component within the vehicle was merely jammed. However, on March 12, 2007 the incident recurred, causing the RPM to increase to over 3000. Once again, the contact was required to stand up to depress the brake pedal. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral, the rpms decreased, and the vehicle stopped. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 65900. Update/23/07tr

- Wildwood, NJ, USA

Feb 092007

F-150 8-cyl

2002 Ford F150 supercab burned up in my driveway at 5 am in the morning. The vehicle had not been driven for a day and a half. We were woken up by the car alarm and two loud bangs. The truck was fully engulfed and was on fire next to the house and fence and 2 other cars. Thank goodness the truck wasn't in the garage or parked forward in the driveway. The fence was destroyed and the two vans damaged by flames. The truck was a total loss. Fire department stated that it was a faulty cruise control device. Not driven for almost two days and the cruise control almost killed my family"?" now we are out thousands even with insurance covering part of the loss. Nothing would have replaced the lives of my family had the house gone up. Ford knows this problem is a ticking time bomb and makes very little effort to save lives.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 192006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Drove my 2002 F 150 approximately 25 miles home and parked it. The truck has never given me any problems and wasn't making any noise. About 30 minutes later I noticed a orange fire ball realizing it was my truck. The truck was fully involved within minutes. The entire front end of the truck melted away. The drivers side wheel, hood, and everything connected to the engine block is non existent. This is in addition to the cab which there is nothing left either. I am the second owner of this truck, never received a recall notice in the mail. Im not sure what caused the fire. Fire marshall said it started in the engine compartment.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Nov 222005

F-150 8-cyl

The contact states there is NHTSA recall campaign 05V388000 concerning the vehicle speed control. The parts needed to repair the vehicle were not available at the local dealership. The contact spoke to the manufacturer, who confirmed that the parts were not available at this time.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Sep 212005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact states there is NHTSA recall 05V388000 concerning the vehicle speed control. The parts needed for recall repairs were not available at the local dealership. The contact spoke to the manufacturer, who confirmed the parts were not available at this time.

- Redsprings , NC, USA

Sep 262005

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contact received a recall05V388000 fire in switches could occur. Took vehicle to local dealer, and local dealer had no parts to fix problem. No incident occurred at this time. The dealer said parts would be available sometime in mid October 2005.

- Haysville, KS, USA