3.7

2003 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford F-150:

2003 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Oct 012008

F-150 8-cyl

On 10/1/08 I was coming out of a parking lot and heard a loud popping sound. Loss of power and ran rough. It was almost dark so I could not see what was wrong so I drove it the two miles home, along the side of the road. Next morning I took the truck to holder Ford in lakeport, California and they said I had blown out the rear plug on the passenger side of the engine. They repaired it for $715 and I got it back on Monday 10/6/08. Again on 10/11/08 Saturday the same plug blew out. This time I was in the fast lane of the freeway in san rafael heading for san francisco. The truck lost power and every time I backed off the gas the engine died. I fought with the truck to get it started and keep it running to get it across three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic to an off ramp. When I stopped and raised the hood I saw it was the same plug that was just repaired. I called holder Ford and they said service was closed and there was nothing they could do for me until Monday. I drove the car to a Toyota dealer only to find the Ford dealer had gone out of business there so I called a tow truck and rented a car. I was 150 miles from holder Ford and my towing would only allow 100 miles. Besides this blown spark plug almost causing an accident it cost me $400 for the tow and I don't know how much for a rental car. Now I find out there are only three threads in the head to hold the plugs in, and the heads are aluminum. The truck is a 2003 Ford F150 lightning 5.4 Triton V8 with 70,000 miles.

- Kelseyville, CA, USA

Nov 282006

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

This is the second occurance that I have had a oil seal or gasket on the engine after driving 80 +mile per hour. I had my truck less than three years. I have also noticed it vibrate when reaching the speed mentioned.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Jun 242003

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Just had my 2003 F150 5.4L fixed after the #3 spark plug blew out. New plugs and heads cost me $4000. The heads are the updated version Ford now has. The original were 3 threads, allowing for the plugs to blow out before the 100,000 plug replacement. They now have 7 threads. Ford needs to recall and repay us.

- Belle Plaine, MN, USA

Jul 122004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased an 2003 F-150 stx 4X4 in July of 2003. Less than 1 year later the air conditioner had to be replaced. Stopped working with no noticable problems. In the next 12 months the gear box has been replaced twice, I called our local dealer and told them the transmission was shifting harder than usual. Took it in and they couldn't duplicate or correct the problem. It continued, and less than 6 months goes by and I am sitting at a red light downtown louisville ky and the light turns green I pushed the accelerator and the truck goes backwards! thank god no one was behind me! after 15 minutes I finally get the truck to the side of the street and call Ford roadside asstistance. That was a joke in itself. Finally 4 hours later the truck is towed to our local dealer and they call the next day and say it is the transmission. Duh! I told them that months ago. They "fix" it and it still is not right. I have even taken it to another dealer and I have contacted Ford. The second dealer could not find a problem, so far all I get is, yes, it does shift really hard but we can't get a code to see what is wrong with it! I am still paying for the truck and it is now under the "extended warranty" this is completely wrong! no one should pay $36000 for a truck and have this much go wrong with it! any help would be appreciated.

- Lexington, IN, USA

May 092005

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Own a 2003 Ford F150 with 11,000 miles. There is a heat shield over the muffler that was falling down. Took vehicle to the dealer, and as instructed by Ford, was to remove the heat shield entirely. Feels this is dangerous without the heat shield which is not on the vehicle right now. Dealer ordered a new heat shield because the old one was deteriorating. Ford ordered not to replace the heat shield as per engineering since it was no longer needed. Leaking rear seal, pan and gasket were also replaced.

- Fort Johnson, NY, USA

Oct 192004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving, the vehicle stalled. The consumer was able to restart the vehicle and drove it to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the consumer that the problem could not be duplicated.

- Lake Benton, MN, USA