2004 Ford F-150 body / paint problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012007

Hood paint and roof paint peeling up for the last 7 years. It started with small blistering and what appeared to be just a few knicks on the hood. However it quickly spread and the entire hood as well as roof are in need of a paint job due to rust. I am the original owner and have apps 129000 miles on it.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Aug 012016

The frame under my F150 is rusted through. I only have 81K miles on it and I don't understand why the frame is rusting so badly. It has already cost me 2,400 to have a certified welder replace some of the sections that were rusted out. I know just found another part of the frame that is rusted under the leaf spring. That is now going to cost me another $500.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Mar 172016

Frame rusting out prematurely causing a safety hazard.

- South Barre, VT, USA

Nov 032015

Both rear suicide doors will not open, the latch mechanism is broken and apparently cost over $700 to fix both. In addition I have replaced the wheel bearing on all wheels twice and now another one is going bad. It seems like I never have a period when all the bearings are good.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 122015

The frame of my 2004 F150 is almost completely rotten from the front of the leaf spring all the way up to the drivers door. The bed supports are also rotted completely off making the bed unsafe and unable to use.

- Ware, MA, USA

Jul 222015

During an oil change it was noticed that the left hand front differential mounting bracket appeared to have a crack pursuant with tsb 06-11-12. However upon closer examination it was shown that the damage was more extensive then the "concern of the left hand front differential mounting bracket separating from the frame rail." Mention in the tsb. Instead of the aforementioned mount breaking, a section of the frame approximately 1/4 of an inch around the welds for the differential mount on all sides had separated from the rest of the frame leaving a hole in the frame approximately four inches across.

- Homer, AK, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that there was rust forming on the rear driver and passenger side tire wells. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the entire rear panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,800.

- Tamworth, NH, USA

Nov 072014

F-150 8-cyl

The mirror(s) are full of corrosion and the drivers side mirror fell right off the car while driving.

- Geneseo, NY, USA

Sep 012014

-repair shop-2004 Ford F150 crew cab, frame completely rotted through, frame replacement required. Customer will not have repaired.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Apr 282014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the frame members were extremely corroded. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 109,000.

- Westport, ME, USA

Nov 042004

Vehicle's back window leak noted within 60 days after purchase, resealed by dealer X2-still leaks. Within a period of one year after purchase, three of the four window gear boxes were replaced due to failure. I've noted several complaints about these issues, met other owners who have had these issues fixed under warranty, yet we were required to pay for repair. At highway speeds, 65mph, the vehicle begins to shimmy, vibrate and becomes difficult to maintain control of steering. Vibration makes ride unpleasant and noisy.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Nov 282012

F-150 8-cyl

When driving at relatively low speed, the hood lifted violently. The driver was able to stop the truck safely. The portion of the hood which secures the hood striker gave way, allowing the hood to open so violently that the grille flew off. The hood was properly closed/latched before the incident, and the striker was still in the latch (complete with pieces of aluminum torn off of the hood) after the incident. It appears that galvanic corrosion (steel striker on aluminum hood) likely caused the issue. Since this truck is in a fleet, the remainder of the F-150S of the same body style (MY2008 and older) were checked, 65 of 580 trucks had either cracking or corrosion around the striker bar which may lead to this issue. Note - this is an Ontario, Canada fleet but these issues likely affect us-sold vehicles.

- Mississauga, MI, USA

Jan 312012

F-150 8-cyl

Rust in the rear passenger quarter panel due to a know factory defect of a rubber pad being installed improperly, contacted Ford about the problem, they refuse to repair or assist in any way.

- Limington, ME, USA

Jan 312012

F-150 8-cyl

Rear passenger side quarter panel rust due to rubber panel being improperly installed at factory. Full rust through in the middle of the panel, from the inside out.

- Limington, ME, USA

Aug 102012

F-150 8-cyl

Was driving down the road at approximately 55 mph and the left driver's side window came crashing down. I thought a rock was coming through the window and almost went off the road.

- Three Mile Bay, NY, USA

Mar 242011

F-150 8-cyl

On 25 March 2011, I encountered a loud pop in the door on the driver-side of my 2004 Ford F-150 regular cab truck, and the window disappeared into the door frame. I removed the door panel and discovered that the cable mechanism within the window regulator had failed. Without further delay I turned the truck into my Ford dealer to have the window regulator repaired, and received a repair bill of $301.86 (the regulator alone cost $159.36); the Ford advisor stated that they had the part in stock since the window regulator failure was a common occurrence. I did not inspect the regulator to determine why the cable mechanism had failed. After this incident I visited to determine the extent of the problem, and learned that more than 240 other 2004 Ford truck owners had experienced the exact same problem in one door or the other in their trucks. As might be expected when inferior parts are installed in a vehicle, such as the window regulators in the 2004 Ford trucks, the passenger-side window regulator also failed. In the second instance I determined that a small, cheap piece of molded plastic on the window regulator had failed because of the immense pressure applied to it when the window was being raised. Details of that failure are listed elsewhere on this website.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 252012

F-150 8-cyl

In late-June 2012 a loud clunk/thud/pop/small explosion occurred in the passenger-side door of my 2004 Ford F-150 regular cab truck, while the vehicle was stopped and idling, and the window dropped into the door frame. When I returned home I removed the door panel and discovered that a small piece of molded plastic, 1 1/8" X 1 7/8" (probable cost to Ford about 39 cents) on the window regulator had disintegrated/failed, allowing the regulator cable to release the window. I have found a replacement window regulator on the internet for $70 (Ford charges $175 for the part) and will repair the defective item myself. I notified Ford of the failure of a less-than-quality plastic piece on the regulator and asked for reimbursement. Ford responded: "there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide financial assistance for your current vehicle concern." However, they did add: "recommend that you keep your repair receipts in case Ford initiates a recall or customer satisfaction program in the future based on customer feedback or further engineering review of similar complaints." I see from the large number of complaints on this website by Ford truck owners that I am but one of hundreds who have been affected, and obviously, there will be hundreds more; the odds are very high that the majority of the plastic pieces on Ford truck window regulators will fail sooner or later, and I seriously doubt that the 2004 Ford F-150 truck is the only model year that contains plastic parts in the window regulators. $70 to replace a failed piece of plastic that initially probably cost Ford about 39 cents to produce is a sad commentary on quality.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 202012

F-150 8-cyl

Is anybody doing anything about the Ford window regulator problem. Over the years all of my sons windows have all fallen down. At times leaving the kids with exposure to whoever passes by...this is not safe. Two windows failed on the same day. Tried to call Ford and got no reasonable response...

- Ponca City, OK, USA

Dec 252011

F-150 8-cyl

I am the owner of a 2004 F-150. This is my fifth Ford product on a row, two of them purchased new. Recently the passenger side rear window regulator failed, causing the window to slide down into the door. In December. I purchased a replacement regulator/motor assembly and just finished the installation. When I examined the old unit I found the operating cable incorrectly spooled onto the primary pulley. When the cable overlapped itself the end pulled out of the lifting block. When I was searching for information about the replacement procedure, I came across numerous websites detailing complaints about the failure of F150 window regulators. This leads me to believe that the problem is due to a faulty design and should be addressed by Ford with a redesigned part and a recall to replace existing units. I will be contacting my congressman, about this expensive and annoying defect.websites detailing the issue are listed below: information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Clearlake, CA, USA

Jul 282011

F-150 8-cyl

I was traveling on a main boulevard when all of a sudden the drivers side window slid down with a loud sounding bang. The window did not break. However, what seems to be a spring loaded mechanism, must have broken causing the window to collapse down inside the door. The sound was so loud, it caused a nervous reaction in me which resulted in pulling on the steering wheel to one side. Thankfully, there were no vehicles to that side and I was able to correct my steering to get back into my lane. As if one experience was not sufficient, it happened again 9/1/11. This time on the passenger side door. The same exact experience repeated except that this time I was driving at 75mph on I-25. I expected to find a recall to this dis-functional mechanism. What are the chances of this happening almost back to back within a 6 week period?

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA