2004 Ford F-150 electrical problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 252010

F-150 8-cyl

Was driving home from work and my rear driver's side window dropped to the bottom for no apparent reason. I don't even use the window much. Pulled off door cover and found cable apart and wound and tangled behind motor. Called my buddy to see if he had it happen to his and before I could say anything he said he just came in from cramming a board in his rear widow make it home. They seem to be really poorly made.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Mar 152010

In 2008 I purchased a 2004 Ford F-150 lariat( 4 door). In March of this year ( 2010) the power window mechanism on the front drivers side failed, causing the window to drop into the door panel. The front drivers side passenger door failed in June of this year with the same result. Today, Sept 7, the rear passengers side door window mechanism failed causing the window to drop into the door. I have done some research on the internet and I find the failure of the power window mechanism to be fairly common. This is a definite safety hazard as an unexpected lowering of the window can cause items inside the truck to fly around inside the cab and create a safety hazard to the driver. It would seem that Ford has had an unusual number of this failures and should make the repairs at their cost in order to prevent serious accidents.

- Williamston, SC, USA

Oct 152008

I own a Ford F-150,2004. I had a slight miss in the engine. I took it to my local Ford dealer and he said I needed to replace the plugs, projected cost was $300 to $350, and would take three hours. (it took 8 hours &cost me 496.00) I watched the mechanic for over 4 hours and he broke off 4 plugs in the head, the debris going into the head, he took an air hose and attempted to blow the trash out. I left the Ford dealer and drove approximately 25 miles on the interstate and the truck started jumping, missing, and would not run. I had it taken to a garage and was told I had internal engine problems. I found a used engine with 15,000 mile and had it installed.(it was cheaper than rebuilding the old one)when the engine was removed we found parts of the plug that was twisted off had fell on the valve spring and broken it. I have E-mailed Ford and made numerous calls to them, they have never responded in any way.on the engine that was installed, after 52000 miles I developed a miss in this engine, I took it to another Ford dealer, they replaced three (3) plugs, it took them three& half days to do this at a cost of $360. I was told that Ford had sent a service notice out stating that the plugs should be replaced @50,000 mile. I was also told by the service manager that it was not uncommon to cost over $1000. To replace the plugs, and that Ford had all dealers a special tool to deal with the plugs removal after they broken off. Is this a better idea ?. I now have another miss in the engine but I am reluctant to having it worked. I am so disgusted with Ford that I sold a 2007 F150 king ranch that I owned with only 19,000 miles on it. I can assure you that having spent over $5,000 on this truck that I will never buy another one. I'm also selling my 1969 mach 1 mustang and my 1985 saleen mustang. This irrelevant to my problems, however I just had to mention it. Perhaps you can get this to Ford because they sure don't listen to me. Thank you, sincerely

- Brodnax, VA, USA

Jul 312010

Driving on the freeway my drivers door window starting coming down on its. I looked to see what was going on next thing it came crashing down and all I heard was glass shatter. Not a good thing to happen driving down the freeway.

- San Rafael, NM, USA

Jun 192010

2004, 4.6 Ford Explorer pickup spark plugs break off, can't get them out, causes much damage, cost $$$$ to get repaired that I don't have! there are many many people on website forums who have this same problem. Some even say the Ford dealership they took their truck to couldn't even get the spark plugs out either. Is there a recall?

- Coweta, OK, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150 heritage anti-theft system can cause engine to quit while driving or prevent from starting. During failure the 'theft' light on the dashboard will blink rapidly. Vehicle has completely stopped on interstate highway nearly causing accident due to loss of steering control and braking. Contacted Ford dealer who said I should replace the battery. The battery was replaced and did not correct problem. Had complete electrical system checked and no problems with system.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Apr 142010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150 supercrew 4 door - window motor/cable failure. I started to "roll" the passenger door front window down and immediately the window just dropped all the way inside the door leaving no window available on that door. No window, no protection from the weather, no security, etc. The window would not come up and remained down inside the door. I've read about this as a common problem that looks like a real obvious recall situation. Please make Ford responsible for this failure as it apparently can happen over and over because of inferior parts. This is my first occurence in my 23 months of ownership - thank goodness. There are so many similar reports and I ask that you be fair to the consumers and force Ford to recall these parts with a suitable replacement part. Please treat them equal with Toyota and any other manufacturer. Ford has a bad door cable or mechanism and they should be held responsible for this issue.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 132009

We have a 2004 150 Ford truck with less than 25000 miles and that is guessing since the dash does not work. Also the window has fallen out and last but not least the passenger window will not roll up. Since it is out of warranty they will not repair any of these problems. Have any other complaints come in on this model. Ford says they have no dash and window problems in their truck. We will be out at least $1200 dollars on repairs on a truck with very low mileage.

- La Grange, KY, USA

Oct 032009

Normal driving, dry, clear, daytime. Going thru parking lot 5-8mph, bump and pot holes. My 2004 Ford F150, supercrew cab, died. No power to restart. Towed to local automotive shop. They found a blown maxi 20 amp fuse (#102 in fuse box) replaced it. Two days later, again going up a hill with some wash board ripples in road, truck dies/fuse blown. Tow it home, replace same fuse as before, attempt to start truck, fuse blown again & again. Call Ford motor dealer, they suggest to replace "ignition switch", I do so and new fuse, attempt to start truck, fuse blown again, call Ford dealer, they say to replace "transmission range sensor", I unplug that connector-due to a new part is very costly and you can not return electrical parts. New fuse, attempt to start w/O connection to trs. Fuse blown. So transmission range sensor, not the problem. This is a costly ongoing repair with no satisfaction. (now luckily when the "fuse" blows, I have not been in los angeles rush hour traffic) how ever I was on a very busy up hill grade when the second time it blown the fuse and my family and I were nearly hit several times due to traffic that couldn't see over the hill top, nor would the same direction of traffic from behind slow down. We were lucky, I researched web sites for answers to a fix. I found other individuals with F150 trucks have the same issue. Ford Motor Co. Has no technical service bulletins for this problem, why not" I have spent 5 weeks researching my wires, parts and informational sites and mechanics, very unsuccessful. I heard that Toyota made their PCM so it would malfunction after so many miles, could this be what Ford is doing to collect money for repairs? I am a certified mechanic & smog tech in California, I am lost as far as how to repair this problem, before I pay to tow to a Ford dealer and get reamed on expense for an electrical problem that is probably an easy fix. Can you help" thank you for your valuable time.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Aug 092009

Driver side window fell into door while driving due to power window regulator failure.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Aug 162009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. The contact states while he was in his home. He was informed that his vehicle had caught on fire. He noticed that the flames where coming from under the hood. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The contact did not notice any difference previously. The current and failure mileage is 54900. Updated 09/16/09 updated 09/17/09.

- Carlsvad, NM, USA

Jul 182009

Started in June 2008 with driver's window dropping into door. July 2008 rear driver's side window did same. Now July 18, 2009 rear passenger's window did same. Each time dealer refuses to say that its a problem. Say mine is the only truck doing this. Truck only has 36,000 miles.

- West Berlin, NJ, USA

Jun 042009

F-150 8-cyl

First noticed ticking noise in my 2004 5.4L 3V V8 engine. Oil was at correct level. I went down a road I routinely go, and started hearing a very loud clanking. Spark plug blew out of the hole and now trying to fix. Hopefully wont have to replace the head. Apparently I am not the only owner of this engine with the same problem!! this is just the one cylinder, but I have 7 more! am I going to have to do this with all of them? I had to have it towed to the only people who will try to fix it. Other repair stations say they wouldn't touch it and that they had, or have been threatened by, a lawsuit from the vehicles owner. This has already cost me the replacement of the ignition coil, a an expensive spark plug, and a lot of down time.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Mar 292009

We own a 2004 F150 lariat 4X4 pickup with just over 50K miles on it. In less than 3 months two (2) of the four (4) power windows have dropped without warning. These windows have simply fallen down driving the vehicle without any bumps or accidents preceding them falling. What is worse is that my two year daughter was in car seat yesterday next to the back window that dropped as we were driving. What if some debris from passing traffic or semi trailer had blown by...this would have been a major catastrophe. And all Ford can say is..."sorry, it will cost you $400 to fix." Well, that isn't good enough. Something needs to be done about it. Far too many incidents like this are happening. See the following hyperlink for others with similar problems.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Mar 272009

I have a 2004 Ford F150, with a 5.4L engine. I went to have battery replaced and after replacement the engine would not idle. The repair firm I had taken it to, called champion Ford in sandy, Utah and the technician told them Ford had a service bulletin out saying that the vehicle might not idle and the engine will shut down after the battery has been disconnected and replaced. They had to take my truck over there and the computer had to be reprogrammed. What is a person to do, have the computer reprogrammed every time the battery dies or is replaced? sounds to like Ford should have had a recall to correct the problem. That's a nasty surprise for anyone.

- Sandy, UT, USA

May 312008

The vehicle wrench light came on and the engine quit. Had I been on a freeway, a serious accident might have occurred. I called the warranty service for a wrecker as it was still in warranty. About 40 minutes later, the wrecker arrived and the driver asked me if I had tried to restart the engine. I hadn't, tried, and it started. I researched the internet and found some information including a suggestion to disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Unfortunately, I did that and when I took it to the dealer the following Tuesday they couldn't tell what caused the problem. It happened again on March 25, 2009. Again, I was glad I was on a side street. I will take the truck to the dealer Tuesday even though the warranty has expired as this could be a very serious problem on a highway.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 012007

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact attempted to place the vehicle into reverse and heard a loud noise. Afterwards, the vehicle would only move forward. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the transmission gears failed. The dealer replaced the gear position indicator; however, the vehicle would not start after the repair was made. The contact had to recharge the battery in order to start the vehicle. The vehicle was returned to the dealer and they stated that the alternator failed. The alternator was replaced; however, on June 16, 2008, the vehicle would not start again. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current was mileage 46,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 012007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. While driving 25 mph the engine shut off without warning and he was unable restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the #5 ignition coil caught fire and blew a relay fuse. The failure previously occurred with the #6 ignition coil. The failure mileage was 191,361 and the current mileage was 191,461.

- Weatherford , OK, USA

Jun 182007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Ford F-150 truck new, and I am having electrical problems, which started at approximately15000 miles and have been consistent.. currently, I have 33000 miles on this vehicle. Dealer maintained since new.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 232007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

1. vehicle fail safe light luminated vehicle had half power. 2. vehicle would not start fuse keeps blowing. 3. first occasion dealer serviced vehicle found no mechanical problems. Second occasion dealer had to travel to the vehicle since vehicle was in a parking garage and a tow truck could not get into the garage. Dealer stated they found a leak and siliconed the leak. Drove vehicle 3 times. Third time vehicle would not start. Fuse is blown again vehicle was towed to dealer and is still there.

- Dallas, PA, USA