2004 Ford F-150 electrical problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Aug 012005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150 FX4 supercrew. There is an intermittent buzzing noise inside the cab when the truck is idling in drive. The noise usually happens, at a stop, after drving on the expressway for 20 minutes or more. It sounds like some sort of sensor getting hot possibly overheating. The noise usually goes away after the vehucle cools down. However, during summer driving the frequency of incidents is higher.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Feb 042006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Safety issue, in cab electrical failures. Feb 4th 2006, it rained 1.5 inches. My truck sat in the rain with all the windows up. In the evening I opened the door and drove away. As I had jumped in the truck, I had realized I did not have any dome lights. As I drove away (engine running fine), I realized I did not have any readouts on my instrument cluster and several other things not working. About 10 miles later, I hit a bump in the road and all my non-working items began working. The only side effect was my tripometer quit working. At this time, September 14, 2006 I continue to have this problem. Specifically when it rains or is humid. I currently have driven my truck approx 200 miles in the past 4 days without any of these items working. During these 6 months, I would approximate this issue as 1X per week problem, with the resolution being a hard hit on the dash while I am driving. However, I am at the point now where hitting the dash does not solve the problem. Here is a list of things not working when I have this failure. The air bag light blinks upon start up then stays illuminated. No dome lights no speedometer no tripometer no odometer no tach no fuel no engine temp no operating volts no oil pressue no audible alarm the key is in the ignition no audible alarm when the lights are left on no auto power locks no power windows (therefore stuck in position of last normal operation) no radio no ac no defrost (problem occurs when humidity is high = fogging windows.) I feel I have some safety issues that make this truck unsafe. I am at 50,000 miles warranty, how do I get the mfg to fix correctly, for free.

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Jun 242006

F-150 8-cyl

1) unknown events leading to failure, normal driving, events happened when I first turned on vehicle and during backing up.2) the engine raced out of control and lurched until ignition key was removed (it grabs the gas pedal from the driver like cruise control does) if someone or something is in vehicle's path it or they will be crashed into. Then the vehicle and 8 cylinder runs like its on 4 cyl and the air conditioner doesn't work. 3) taken to Ford dealer coastal Ford in mobile al, they rebooted computer but would not replace computer board, they said just bring it back for reboot if it happens again, diagnostic did not reveal reason for racing engine they were not concerned that if the events happened again an accident could not be prevented or the truck being destroyed which means it could not be taken back for reboot or how to prevent this event.I wanted them to replace the supposedly defective computer board (in my opinion that's the problem) old part still in damages yet but since I professionally bass fish, I could be run over, the truck might race into the water, or someone else and their equipment could be run over and if backing into the garage with a boat the house and boat could be damaged or if the boat trailer has to be dealt with the person behind the truck could be run over. 2004 F150 extended cab V8 engine truck is the vehicle. 6 events over the last 4 months (it just came out of some of its warranties, Ford dealer said the computer was warranted for 8 more years)

- Gautier, MS, USA

Sep 122005

F-150 8-cyl

I have a Ford 2004 F150 about 2 months ago the engine shut off while I was driving. It seem to be happening more often lately.

- Covington , GA, USA

Jul 132005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Consumer stated he has no control gauges, no speedometer, no air bags; the dealership did not want to bother with it. He called again this morning and they said they would get to it when they could. He has not talked to the manufacturer. He noticed it about 2 weeks ago when the ac went out. The consumer said a mechanic had told him Ford was having a lot of problems with the computers in their vehicles.

- Potts Town, PA, USA

Sep 102004

F-150 8-cyl

1) brake system malfunction. It was serviced by friendly Ford but the problem still exist, extreme severe vibration that it shakes the whole truck when you step on the brake pedal. Brake failed to slow down the said vehicle at 65 mph going downhill. The condition is worse than before it was serviced. I beg NHTSA to address the problem to Ford Motor Company before a fatal accident could occur. 2) engine or computer electrical problem? engine losses power and drops to fail safe mode. Totally gutless while coming in to freeway from an offramp or during crossing an intersection. After hours of driving it comes back to normal. I tried different grades of fuels octane it didn't make any diffference it did malfunction in similar way. Very scary and dagerous experience. 3) driver's side power window and rear winshield power window malfunctions. Extreme water intrusion during rain and car wash time. It has harsh mechanical noise inside the door.

- Bullhead, AZ, USA

Feb 252005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving to slow down for a stop the vehicle cuts off. This problem is not a constant problem but only seems to happen every once and awhile. It is hard to steer once the engine is shut off and has been involved in some near accidental collisions. When I contacted a dealer about a week ago and they set me up with the maloy Ford service center with an appointment for March 21 2005 but this problem seems to be very dangerous. When asked to bring it in earlier they refused and said I can park it and leave it and they would get to it Monday. They would not provide a mode of transportation. I have to drive 40 miles a day back and forth to work so I have to deal with this potentially deadly problem till then.

- Jasper, AL, USA

Dec 202004

F-150 8-cyl

The vehicle will emit an electrical smell, that eventually results in the occupants having to exit the vehicle so that they won't get asphyxiate by the smell. The owner took the vehicle to a dealership, who stated that there was no recall, and provided no further assistance.

- Goldenrod, FL, USA

Mar 072005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Intermittently vehicle would stall while making turns, slowing downs or coming to a stop. Vehicle has been to the dealer, and dealer reset the computer. However, the problem recurred.

- Purcell, MO, USA

Jan 012005

2004 F-150 caught on fire as we were driving it, pulling 4-wheeler.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 012004

Upon investigation, finding verified my suspicions that there was a problem in the rear-end. The speedometer also failed.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Dec 212004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My battery light came on the dashboard came on, after a few minutes it went off, a couple of miles later it came back on, then off again. I checked my voltage gauge and it was fine. A couple of miles later I noticed my lights were dimming, I checked my voltage gauge again and it was reading zero. Minutes later all my electronics went out, no headlights, taillights, brake lights, my speedometer went out and everything else on the dash. Then the engine started misfiring and the vehicle shut off. This all happened while I was driving. I lost my power brakes, my power steering and had no lights. I noticed that while I was waiting for a tow truck, me head lights and tail lights were stuck on. They were on only enough to see the element in the light bulb glowing. The key was out of the ignition and the light switch was in the off position. They stayed on for the entire time I was with the vehicle, which was over an hour. The dealership said all they did was charge the battery and found nothing wrong. What caused the battery to lose a charge? they (Ford) could not answer that question and sent me on my way!

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Dec 152004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 F150/5.4 engine quits at low speed. Completely random, may do it several time in one day and than not again for several weeks. I have been involved in several close calls when the vehicle quit at intersections and railroad tracks. Since no odbc codes are ever set, dealer can't seem to find the problem.

- Sabine Pass, TX, USA

Oct 152004

Twice the engine has gone into "fail-safe" or "limp" mode; diagnosed as a "computer" glitch on a brand new 2004, less than 700 miles, Ford F150 pu; once entering the highway; once entering an intersection. When this happens, there is enough power to get you off of the road. Stopping the truck, cutting it off and back on allowed for normal use. Also excessive vibration checked 3 times, was told under investigation; no fix yet. 3 out of 4 new tires were replaced during diagnostics stating that they had "flat" spots on them.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Oct 082004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While applying the brakes coming to a red light at an intersection, all power was lost and driver unable to stop vehicle and crashed into a dump truck. No airbags were deployed, all power was lost. Dealer checked vehicle and said that they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. Very disturbing failure because the dealer could not find anything wrong with the vehicle to fix and that this could happen again at any time.

- New Stanton, PA, USA

Apr 152004

F-150 8-cyl

The emission light came on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and consumer was told that fuel pump was defective. The gauge went out of control. After filling the tank, the gauge read empty. The brake light wiring was inoperative, alignment was out, the vehicle had stuck in park, the right passenger door was inoperative, the speedometer read wrong, and the vehicle would die out.

- Buena Vista, GA, USA

Jun 202004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 /F-150/SC lariot/5.4. A/C ( eatc ) not operating correctly. This vehicle has been to the Ford dealer 5 times and still no resolve. A/C will not cool properly short cycles 6/7 time per minute. The eatc (electronic air temprature control) for the A/C does not operate in Ford specs. As per Ford F-150 ws manuel, page 412-00-4 and states" it is known that a refrigerant pressure of approximately 210 kpa ( 30 psi) will yield a operating temperature of 0 (32). The A/C cycling switch controls system operation in an effort to maintain this temperature." Test results ( in F* ) at 58 / 64 % humidity max cool.( add 8/10* for reg A/C) #1. amb.70*=A/C @44* stable #2. amb.80*=A/C @51* stable #3. amb.90*=A/C @56* and unstable #4. amb.100*=A/C@62* and unstable #5. amb. 110*=A/C @70* and unstable these results were verified and reproduceable on 7 new units for comparison. Ford "hotline " says that as long as the pressures are normal the system is normal and there are no repairs or changes authorized. If this system was working as engineered by Ford specs. These readings would be 8/10* lower and operating correctly with no complaints. Ford has stated " do not return this vehicle unless there is a real problem.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

May 162004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 supercab. I am experiencing two primary problems with the vehicle. First, the vibration and steering wheel "nibble". the vibration is present at nearly all speeds. It feels like the vehicle is rollong over small bumps in the road. Dealer has had vehicle twice and will have it again (3rd time) tomorrow. Claim to be able to fix the problem. The steering wheel "nibble" happens around 75-80mph and did improve slightly with rebalancing the tires. The other problem is with the A/C system. The system is not cooling the cab of the truck when the outside temp is 85 or higher. The condiction is particularly bad when the vehicle is at idle. The dealer says the system is operating at spec. I talked to a friend who has the same vehicle and he says he has the same problem and he is bringing his to the dealer to have it checked. The A/C in my friend's 1997 Ranger cools better than my new F-150.

- Brunswick, GA, USA