2004 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 052004

F-150 8-cyl

Was driving my 2004 Ford F-150 supercab pickup truck (4.6L V8 2wd) at highway speed when I heard a loud bang and scared me enough to nearly lose control of my vehicle. The sound I heard I thought was someone shooting out my drivers side power window when it turns out it just fell into the door because of a faulty power window regulator. Now it will cost me nearly $400 to replace when it is just a plastic clip. Turns out that this is a very common problem with Ford trucks and am shocked that this has not been recalled by the NHTSA since this is a serious safety issue as the doors and windows, as well as the seatbelts, are what keeps the driver and or passengers in the vehicle...I am extremely upset not at the repair cost but that my safety is being compromised at Ford Motor Company's expense with nothing being done about it. Just how many people need to complain about this before it is recalled or are we just waiting for a serious injury or a death for something to happen.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 272008

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact noticed that the paint on the hood and the front end of the vehicle was abnormally chipping. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the failure resulted from when the vehicle was manufactured. The coating of the paint was 10-12 mm. As a result, the thick coating inevitably led to the paint chipping. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure and current mileages were 86,000.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 312008

I own a 2004 F150 supercrew. I purchased the vehicle with 24000 on it, and I also purchased an extended warranty that was suppose to cover the vehicle bumper to bumper. Or, so I was told when I purchased the coverage. In addition to having the rear window repaired twice the side windows also seem to be defective. My first window fell when I only had 37000 on the vehicle. So much for an extended warranty. I still had to pay $100 to cover the deductible. I now have 43000 on my truck and window #2 has broken. I was sitting in a parking lot when we heard a loud bang. I pushed the button to roll down the passenger window and that was it. Window number 2 had broken. It's was 115 degrees, and I had a 40 mile trip home. Not only could my tools and the medical equipment I carry be stolen but, its possible the truck could be stolen as well. I am now not comfortable taking my truck any where. Its very disturbing to pay for a new vehicle and have things like this happen. I have built race cars and trucks, and I have never seen door window regulators fail like this. The window has maybe been used 20 times. I rarely have anyone sitting in the passenger seat. This indicates to me that Ford installed defective window regulators in the newer style F150 trucks. After looking on the internet, I see I am not alone. This problem has happened to many others. It seems to me that this qualifies as a recall or bulletin at the least. You can imagine my anger when I found out that I had to pay for the repair. Not only should this not happen in a new vehicle, now I am not sure I should even take the chance to drive it anywhere for fear it could be stolen. Please know that if anything is stolen out of my truck or the vehicle it self is stolen, because the window has broken, I will alert my insurance carrier of the window situation. I would appreciate an explanation why this is not considered a recall.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 082008

I own a 2004 Ford F150 the windows in my truck have fallen damaging window tint scratching windows the part that holds the window up is made of plastic and the replacements are made of the same materials as oem which causes the same problem to occur again each time the part fails the cost is $160 only from the dealer I have researched this problem on different Ford sites and many Ford F150 owners are having the same problem I don't think this is fair to the consumer to have to keep repairing at their own expense with a replacement part that will fail the same as the original part. I only have 24,000 miles on my truck the lowest of the group of people I have found while researching, of my windows back passenger side* was rarely ever opened so it begs the question why a part would just up and break for no reason. Please help consumers we are not getting any help from Ford. Thank you in advance.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Oct 152005

F-150 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150. The contact stated when turning on the air conditioner was unable to adjust it or turn it off. He stated none of the buttons worked for the air conditioner. This occurred for approximately 15 minutes. The air conditioner finally turned itself off when he turned his headlights on. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. This only happened the one time, on October 15, 2005. Updated 11/30/2005 - this problem occurred once more after Oct 15 an hasn't been repaired. The sliding rear window does not work. The fuel gauge did not indicate the correct amount of fuel after the vehicle was filled up.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Aug 152005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

A chatter/ vibration in the rear- clutches in the rear were replaced. Check engine light came on- replaced the fuel vapor management system. Brake light on roof leaking- light was replaced. Roof of truck rusting- nothing done.

- Myersville, MD, USA

Mar 172005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My 2004 F 150 shakes / vibrates so bad it looks like there are 5 cars following me (when there is only one) in my review mirror. The tires have been balanced @ 3100 miles. Tires replaced @ 3300 miles.vibration damper@ 3200 miles. Now they want to put a split drive shaft on it. How am I going to replace these non standard parts 3 years from now? my wife refuses to ride in it-calls it a death trap!! I've owned the truck for a year now and only have 4400 miles on it. I'm afraid of it to. Will someone please help. My truck is a 2004 standard cab XLT 5.4 litre auto 4X4

- Farmville, VA, USA

Sep 102004

F-150 8-cyl

1) brake system malfunction. It was serviced by friendly Ford but the problem still exist, extreme severe vibration that it shakes the whole truck when you step on the brake pedal. Brake failed to slow down the said vehicle at 65 mph going downhill. The condition is worse than before it was serviced. I beg NHTSA to address the problem to Ford Motor Company before a fatal accident could occur. 2) engine or computer electrical problem? engine losses power and drops to fail safe mode. Totally gutless while coming in to freeway from an offramp or during crossing an intersection. After hours of driving it comes back to normal. I tried different grades of fuels octane it didn't make any diffference it did malfunction in similar way. Very scary and dagerous experience. 3) driver's side power window and rear winshield power window malfunctions. Extreme water intrusion during rain and car wash time. It has harsh mechanical noise inside the door.

- Bullhead, AZ, USA

Jun 172005

Husband driving down interstate ans sees flames comming up behind him between the cab abd the bed. Pulled over and had fire department put out flames. For dealer stated that "something clogged the breather tube which ignited the fire" twin toddlers were strapped into the carseats in the back of the cab..

- Bradenton, FL, USA

May 272005

F-150 8-cyl

Problem occured on 5/27/05 while vehicle was parked in the driveway. After opening and shutting the door, the back glass shattered. No previous problems with vehicle. The vehicle was taken to dealership, who reported that the glass was not under warranty. La West is the manufacturer and were supposed to send a glass but has not done so yet.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Mar 302004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

An excruciating high pitch noise is produced from the dashboard area of my 2004 F150 heritage at speeds between 20-40mph. The noise produces an earache equal to a small migraine after 30 minutes. The dealer has overhauled the transfer case and taken the transmission out to replace bearings but the problem still exists. Dealer has stated that they hear the noise but doesn't know how to fix the problem. My truck has less than 1000 miles on it currently.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA