2004 Ford F-150 steering problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 232008

F-150

I have a 2004 F150 pu I purchased the truck used, supposedly a demo. Driving home the steering locked up I thought maybe a belt after nursing the truck home I looked and the belt was intact I got some info from a mechanic friend he suggested the power steering pump I changed that (the truck is no longer under warranty it only has 52000 miles on it) after checking it out further I noticed it has two different style tierods on it and noticed that both upper ball joints ar bad the truck was a just inspected in Nov. Nothing was said that the was any trouble with anything any way I tried to E mail Ford customer relations center I was told to contact dealer( I had problems with another Ford truck and when I complained about that truck the manger told me I was nuts his service than test drove the truck and stated that there was a problem with the shimmy in the front end of the truck but could not find cause)so I did not talk to this person my point is with only 52,000 miles on it the ball joints should not be bad and should not have to be replaced and with paying 500. A month for a payment I cannot afford to repair the truck on my own(or should not have to) can you help in any way?

- Yorkshire, NY, USA

Mar 172008

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 F150 Triton needed to have steering shaft assembly replaced. Strong burning smell. Difficulty steering. Leaking steering fluid. Part #8L3Z*3B676 was removed and replaced @ C wimerley..49047.

- Dowagiac, MI, USA

Oct 262005

F-150 8-cyl

Terrific vibrations/shimmies at speeds from 55-70 mph. Steering wheel shakes and vibrations felt through out the vehicle. Have had vehicle in to Ford for warranty repair 6 times. The vehicle is at the dealer right now and has been there 3 days. (10/17-10/18-10/19 and who know how much longer.) when it vibrates and shakes we have to slow down and pull off the freeway. This has been ongoing since the vehicle had only 8,000 miles on it and it only has 20,500 on it now. The incidence of vibrating/shaking is getting more and more frequent.--this vehicle is not safe in this condition.

- Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Aug 062007

F-150 8-cyl

I have owned the truck for approx. 7 weeks. During the test drive I noticed a vibration starting around 55 mph. The truck had 41000 miles on it. The dealer agreed to balance the tires. After balancing the problem still occurred. It gets severe around 70-74 mph with steering wheel vibrations. I will be taking the truck into the shop for the 45000 mile service within two weeks and will be talking to the service dept.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Oct 042006

F-150

I have just left my dealer with some disappointing news. The vibration I am encountering with my 04 F150 is due to the wheel hubs being engineered out of acceptable tolerance. That is to say the issue has been fixed for the 05 and 06 models. It has been explained to me that the wheels and hubs must be "indexed" for the bottom basemant price of $396. This process will have to be done everytime you move or replace a tire. Ford has indicated to me that this is the only fix for the steering wheel vibration and that the consumers are financially responsible for this process although it is their engineering foul up. It was also indicated that they would do the indexing for a reduced amount as long as I purchase my tires and my rotations from them! luckily my dealer has enough good sense to do this process (one that should by the way never have to be done) for free. Of the 26 vehichles I ahve owned, I have never and I mean never had to or heard of indexing the wheels and hubs in order to get my car to quit shaking!!! you can reference this information from the Ford Motor Company technical service bulletin #06-12-02

- Irving, TX, USA

Jun 202004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased my Ford F-150 as a demo in 2004. The truck has been back to the dealership at least 5 times for a vibration over 60 miles/hr. The truck now has just over 46,000 miles and I just put the 4th set of tires on the truck. The dealership states there is nothing they can do. I have read many online forums about the same complaints with this Ford truck. Two weeks ago I spent over $1000 dollars on tires and alignment, the vibration is still present. My next step is to file for the lemon law.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Jan 242006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Regarding 2004 Ford F150 4X4 pickup: Several months ago I experienced steering problems. Our local dealer fixed a problem with the front brakes. He stated that they have had a number of 2004 4X4 pickups with the same problem, though there has been no recall. Last week the vehicle crashed, which resulted in serious injuries (multiple head fractures) to my wife, and the vehicle being totaled. I was driving on a straight two-lane country road, up a slight graded. Suddenly the vehicle turned sharply to the left. It made a 180 degree turn, and skidded sideways (over the center crown) across the road and broadsided a power pole. The pole struck the passenger-side door, effectively caving it in and causing the injuries. Days later I inspected the vehicle. I noticed (and photographed) that the left front wheel was resting against the brake caliper housing. There was no damage evident to explain this. I did observe that the right front wheel had a clearance between it and the right brake housing. Note that there is no collision damage to the left side or front portion of the truck. The fact that the vehicle seemed to pivot on the left front wheel would be consistent with the brake suddenly grabbing.

- Surry, ME, USA

Nov 012005

F-150 8-cyl

The consumer lost control of the truck when driving at 20 mph and hit a lamp post. The steering bolt joint came off and the wheel turned to the right, hitting first the curb then the post. The wheel reached the right one pointing to the right, and the left one pointing to the left. The post was not damaged, but the truck was lightly damage due to the low speed. Updated 12/07/05.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 022005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 F150 super crew 4X4 with vibration and tension changes in steering wheel. Have taken to two different dealerships multiple times each without resolution. Tires have been rotated and balanced numerous times, road force tested, damper kit installed, drive shart re-indexed, tried new tires but made problem worse. Also told by dealership to drive it for awhile and see if it goes away.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Jun 102005

F-150 8-cyl

2004 F150 XLT severe driveline vibration between 40-60 mph. This vibration is more pronounced when towing or hauling a heavy load. This vehicle has been to back to the dealer 9 times in the last eight months for this condition. Three sets of tires and two sets of wheels have been on this truck, road force tire balancing has been tried several times with no apparent correction for this condition in sight.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 022004

F-150 8-cyl

Steering wheel vibrates at speed range 60-75 mph. So far all attempts at repair by Ford dealership have failed. Last attempt was to road force balance tires. Truck has approximately 8000 miles

- Perkinston, MS, USA

Jan 012005

F-150

While driving in heavy traffic the steering wheel locked up and the vehicle veered to the right. The engine light had come on another occasion.

- Casco, ME, USA

Jul 202004

F-150 8-cyl

Steering wheel vibration at 65 to 70 mph. Followed tsb 4-25-8 which did not resolve the problem. Ford dealers have been unable to fix the vibration issue. Experiencing excessive tire wear, Ford has extended tire warranty to 36,000 miles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 252004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Hood appears to be loose enough to fly off vehicle at highway speeds. Weak hinges. Steering wheel vibration/nibble at any speed.

- Mccalla, AL, USA

Jan 012004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle vibration and very noticeable steering wheel shimmy/nibble at highway speeds above 45 mph. Bad vibration when braking. In February 2004, beginning at approximately 3000 miles, I had vehicle checked/serviced several times by Ford dealership service department. Was told to keep driving it until it gets broken in (suggested about 12-15,000 miles). Diagnoses ranged from warped brake rotors to "tires slipping on the rims." Vehicle now has 31,000miles and the problem still has not been resolved.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 052004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle has extreme vibration at 60 miles per hour causing the steering to shake making the ability to control the vehicle difficult. The consumer has taken the vehicle to the dealer for repair for a total of 6 times, but the cause is undetermined.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 152004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 F-150 supercrew, from day one I have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel between 55-70 mph, I have had it in for service now four times in 3 months. Dealership indicated that it was "road force" bad tires. After replacement vibration still existed.

- Rogers, MN, USA

Aug 052004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Purchase a brand new 2004 Ford F150 XLT supercrew 4X4. Vehicle had steering wheel vibration. I was assured by the sales and service staff that it was a wheel balance issue. If they could not fix it they would give me a new truck. The truck has been back to the shop 6 times for this vibration problem and numerous parts have been replaced. The truck has spent several weeks at the dealership for this problem. After meeting with the Ford field service engineer he told me that this was a "characteristic of these trucks" and they cannot fix it because nothing is wrong with it. All this after they replaced the drive shaft, all the wheels, tires, added a steering damper, replaced front hub, hunter road forced the truck at least 3 times and the vibration is still there at highway speeds. Very annoying, uncomfortable to drive and completely unacceptable for a brand new vehicle. The dealership misrepresented themselves by telling me it was a wheel balance issue. Now, Ford is in breach of contract for not fixing the problem under the factory warranty. I gave them a fair chance to do the right thing and stand by their word and replace the vehicle with one that does not have the vibration. They did not. Now I want them to buy the vehicle back and pay all of the associated costs involved with dealing with this issue and ownership.

- Linden, VA, USA

Jul 102004

F-150 8-cyl

Vibrating/oscillating steering problem between 60-70mph. Had it serviced 4 times with no resolution. Rotors have been replaced. Nibble has been replaced. Tires have be replaced with better brand (nitto 404S, P275-55R-20). Had stock and good year gtii's prior). Tires have been road forced balanced many times with little impact.

- Van Alstyne, TX, USA

Jun 092004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 F-150 scab 4X4, steering wheel vabration at 50 + mph, dealer has attempted to repair this 7 times with no results, truck has been at dealer from May 20th to date unsafe to drive due to vibrations, dealer has replaced the tires 3 times, steering rack 2 times, numorus tire ballances, drive shaft. Asking Ford to replace the truck, but all of the trucks on the dealer lot have the same problem in some degree.

- Westminster, MD, USA