2004 Ford F-150 suspension problems

suspension problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 172016

Frame rusting out prematurely causing a safety hazard.

- South Barre, VT, USA

Feb 202016

Lower control arm mount is broken, mount is welded to the frame, I just noticed it on 2-20-2016 while replacing my front shocks.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Dec 072015

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle began to veer to the driver side. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the coil spring needed to be replaced. It was unknown if the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Potstown, PA, USA

Jan 012012

Original owner of 2004 Ford F150 FX4. From stop the rear end will vibrate as I accelerate. It's been doing it for quite a while. I believe it started around 40000 miles. I only have 54000 on it currently. So it has been like this for at least 3 or 4 years. It sounds like this is a pretty common issue. Does should definitely fix this known issue.

- Ponca City, OK, USA

Mar 102015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Ford heritage 4X4 and the frame is literally rusting away on or about the 10th of March the bracket that holds the rear driver side leaf spring rotted away and punched through the bottom of my bed. I was only going 30 when it happened so everyone was safe. I also had to replace the trailer hitch last year because the frame was so rotted away. I stopped at a stop sign and when I went to go I saw my trailer just go up and slam back down on the ground. Luckily I was not going 65 mph otherwise I would have had a accident. The back of the frame now is paper thin. Ford should do a recall on these frames. I have owned many Ford and never had rust this bad.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Dec 272014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Bought a 2004 Ford F-150 from a neighbor recently. Front end was drooping. Went to put a "leveling kit" on it and found both front coil springs broke in the same place. This can't be a coincidence. Can't really afford new springs right now but looks like a manufacture defect. Thanks.

- Jackson, OH, USA

Sep 292014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I took my truck to a garage to have the oil changed. While up on the rack the rust was noticed by my mechanic who said it would not pass inspection better have it fixed. I contacted a professional who came to my house and looked at it with the bed off. Upon his inspection he found it was unrepairable there was not enough original metal left to weld to. I have contacted Ford customer relationship center only to be told there is no warranty, no recall, sorry for your luck and got hung up on. While researching online I have discovered that Ford has a recall on 2004 escapes for this very same reason "the frames are rusting out" it would make sense to me that there must have been a bad batch of metal used in the building of these frames. I would like to know if any more 2004 vehicles from Ford have reported similar problems and what can we do about this?

- Chicora, PA, USA

Oct 132014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

A New York state inspection revealed two broken springs on front end of 2004 Ford F150. The cost to replace is not cheap and after researching online, seems to be a common problem with this vehicle. Ford Motor Company should recall these vehicles based on safety issue. I hope others will document this problem to help resolve this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 012014

-repair shop-2004 Ford F150 crew cab, frame completely rotted through, frame replacement required. Customer will not have repaired.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Sep 232014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I took my truck in for state inspection and was told that both front coil springs were broken. They explained that the coating applied to the springs actually caused rust and made them fail. I consider this to be a manufacturing and safety defect but was informed by the dealer and Ford that they would not consider any help toward the $400 bill to replace them. I don't feel that a consumer should have to pay for a structural design flaw that could have caused an accident. Internet research shows this to be a common problem.

- Middletown, PA, USA

Aug 012014

F-150 8-cyl

Front coil springs both broke in same place.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 152004

F-150 8-cyl

Im sure of the exact date originally bought my truck in 2004 brand new with 60 miles on it I had it less than a week and they replaced the tires and told me it was because they were egg shaped. And this is why it shook or vibrated at 55/70 mph it went away for awhile. Then I kept routine oil and tire rotations and balancing on it but the vibration kept coming back. The rear brakes were replace on the truck with less than 30,000 miles cost me a fortune which are supposed to last until 150,000. The shocks, struts, brakes, and rotors and bearings were all replaces twice now first for vibration in 2007/2008 spent thousands didn't work replaced tires and rims went away for about six month then came back again every time we rotate the tires the vibration goes away for like a day or two then comes back in 2010 I had to replace the rear brake and emergency brake and bearings and seals for a second time because they locked up in 2011 I have replaced the brakes, shocks, rotors and struts, because of vibration guess what didn't work now were looking at tires and rims again and Ford tells me that my rear seals and bearings need replaced for leakage and the possible shaking is my drive shaft I bought a 30,000 truck that I have put 10,000 grand in just estimating oh and they just fixed the recall for the airbag harness and tell me the airbag light is flashing but it isn't covered in the recall and it wasn't flashing when I dropped it off. I have two Ford I have a Ford escape I bought at the same dealer in 2005 that they kept a revolving door for in service because of all its problems and everyone tells me it should have been replaced I will never buy another Ford again now I know why people joke about the fix or repair daily.

- Mosinee, WI, USA

Jun 282013

F-150 8-cyl

We have always taken our truck to the Ford dealer for regular service. Took it to a 3rd party mechanic to have brakes done and they showed us that both front coil springs were broken, completely severed and had been that way for quite a while evident by rust and corrosion at breaking point. After reading the other complaints on here this seems to be a common defect in this make and model and year. I am doing separate complaints regarding the spark plugs and exhaust manifold issues.

- Dover, DE, USA

Apr 122014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. The contact stated that both front suspension springs were broken. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Fort Recovery, OH, USA

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced, the technician discovered that both front coil springs were fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Jan 012009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that there was a recurring failure of the hub and calipers as well as the front and rear axle sporadically becoming fractured. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 79,000.

- North Versailles , PA, USA

Oct 052013

F-150 8-cyl

On preparing to change the brake pads, I noticed the front left coil spring has snapped. After checking on line and my local Ford dealership, it seems this is not uncommon on 2004 Ford F150 vehicles, and it indicates that Ford is not prepared to assist customers, even though they realize this is a manufacturing defect. Photograph available if needed. The Ford dealership advises they need to replace both front road springs at a cost of $575, but the shock absorbers might need replacing also which would be additional monies. A broken road spring on the front can severely effect the handling and safety of the driver and others on the road, and I believe Ford should do something about it.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA

Nov 042004

Vehicle's back window leak noted within 60 days after purchase, resealed by dealer X2-still leaks. Within a period of one year after purchase, three of the four window gear boxes were replaced due to failure. I've noted several complaints about these issues, met other owners who have had these issues fixed under warranty, yet we were required to pay for repair. At highway speeds, 65mph, the vehicle begins to shimmy, vibrate and becomes difficult to maintain control of steering. Vibration makes ride unpleasant and noisy.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Jul 292013

Brought truck in for service due to hit pulling to the right and seemed to be sitting low. When the dealership removed front wheels it was discovered the both front coil springs had been broken. Both springs were broken diagonal at the base where it sits in the strut. Was told that the springs needed to be replaced in order for a proper alignment to be completed. Further research online shows that this is a very common issue in the Ford F-150. Truck has never been taken off road or driven hard. Truck is taken well care of.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Apr 022013

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being service for regular maintenance, the dealer diagnosed that the rear axle needed to be replaced due to a design flaw. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,938.

- Gladstone , MO, USA