2004 Ford F-150 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 152005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Rear brakes applied without prompting truck vibrated wildly causing loss of control. Result right rear emergency brake cable detached from seat, rear brakes burnt down to 33 mm. Brake rotors out of true. Tires wearing irregularly.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 232005

The front steering on my 2004 Ford F-150 truck will start to wobble after slowing down from highway travel. It acts like the wheels are out of balance. However, I just had the tires rotated and balanced because of this, but it did not help. The vehicle has 23,000 miles. Another person I know is experiencing the same problems with his 2004 Ford F-150 with 17,000 miles.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Oct 212004

While driving the consumer felt vibrations coming from the front and rear of the vehicle. In the first week of driving the vehicle the consumer detected a vibration in the front and rear of the vehicle. All four tires wore out around the outer edges. The consumer paid cash for a new vehicle and expected new tires. The consumer was refused a new set of tires.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Dec 242004

F-150 4WD

While driving at highway speed my left front tire came off. The tires were rotated and torqued 5,000 miles ago. The truck was towed to a Ford dealer who dismissed us and told us that its our problem because we rotated and torqued the wheels. I talked to a relative who is an asst. Plant mgr. For Ford and he said that this happens quite often and that there might be some issues with the material that is used as the final coating on these stems and nuts which cause theme to come loose. We declined to have the dealership fix the truck and took it elsewhere for a second opinion. The dealership wanted to charge approximately $1,700 to fix the problem. The second opinion told us that only a few things needed to be repaired. Stems and bolts were replaced and the rest of the wheels were checked for $211! pleases check into this for me. I wouldn't ask for your help if I really felt that this was our problem. Thank you, nancy jowiski

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Jan 012005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I currently own a 2004 F150 FX4 supercrew. The truck has a bad vibration between (60-65 mph) which in turn causes the bed to shake. The dealership balanced the tires and replaced the driveshaft, and now they are ordering a counter balance which will be installed under the right rear of the truck. The dealer is also looking into the possibility of a problem with the Goodyear Wrangler tires which have 1 ply of nylon in the tread--the tires seem to be real bad in cold weather. I voiced my concerns about the bed shaking and how you can take your fist and hit the rear bumper of the truck and the bed will shake repeatedly. According to a Ford technician--"this is a characteristic of this truck". this "characteristic" makes this vehicle unstable on rough roads. Personally I believe Ford should save its name and correct the problem. I am still working with my dealer, but things are not looking good.

- Century , FL, USA

Oct 062004

F-150 8-cyl

Vibrations throughout the chassis at speeds between 50-60 mph. Vehicle is at dealership for 3rd time for same problem. So far just road force balance of tires, and both front tires replaced. Problem first noticed with less than 700 miles on vehicle, the day after delivery of vehicle.ui

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Oct 152004

Twice the engine has gone into "fail-safe" or "limp" mode; diagnosed as a "computer" glitch on a brand new 2004, less than 700 miles, Ford F150 pu; once entering the highway; once entering an intersection. When this happens, there is enough power to get you off of the road. Stopping the truck, cutting it off and back on allowed for normal use. Also excessive vibration checked 3 times, was told under investigation; no fix yet. 3 out of 4 new tires were replaced during diagnostics stating that they had "flat" spots on them.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Aug 192004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 F150 and am having the same problem as most others here. I have a bad vibration that was starting at 42 mph and is now happening at all speeds all the time. The dealer has rebalanced the tires, put on a vibration damper and also has replaced all 4 tires and wheels as a set all to no avail. The dealer I bought the truck from has been going out of their way to try to help me, but like me they are getting very frustrated as Ford is not doing much if anything to try to fix it. I am now going to be seeing a Ford engineer on Sept 20th about the problem. So far nothing has been done to fix it. Fords engineer says it is a characteristic of the tires and that I should live with it. I don't think so. I have been to my dealer 5 times for this problem.

- Alden, NY, USA

Jul 142004

Severe steering wheel shake at 50 mph plus. Roush tejon F150 supercrew. 20" roush wheels with 20" bfg all terrain ta tires. Dealer has tried to balance 2 times. Ntb cannot balance. Local shop at my expense cannot balance. Dealer is not test driving to verify repair is correct and complete.

- Granite City, IL, USA

May 282004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Tailgate straps are the same length, but when you put pressure on the tailgate, only the LH tailgate strap supports the tailgate. The truck has vibration and steering wheel nibble problems. They have balanced the tires 4 times, replaced the tires. The fse from Ford took the vehicle for a ride and said it needs a new driveshaft. The brake dust is a big problem. You need to wash the wheels daily. Ford now has updated pads. I hope they replace them under warranty. Two of the rotors are also grooved. The truck has 3000 miles on it. It has been in 5+ times now! the ac unit only had 22 ounces of fliud in it. It is supposed to have 30+. my air was verified to be 8-10 degrees warmer than spec. The gas door (spring) broke. The paint on the hood is flawed. It didn't get fully sprayed on the right front of the hood. Both sides of the rear diff. Are wet. Something is leaking. The seatbelt stitching is coming apart.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jun 022004

While performing schedule maintenance service, the dealership noticed that the front tires were wearing prematurely in the center, and rotated them. The tires wear is inconsistent with the air pressure.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 202003

Dealership indicated that the tires were improperly made from the factory which did not allow them to be balanced, and they shimmied while driving.

- Waterloo, NY, USA

Dec 062004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Ford 150 4 wheel drive crewcab. Living in Oregon we have snow during the winter. When I attempted to purchase chains for this vehicle I was told they would not fit. When I contacted Ford customer relations I was told I should have read page 276 of the owners manuel prior to purchase so I know own a $41,000 4 wheel vehicle that can not be driven in the snow. Fords attitude was so what!

- Florence, OR, USA