8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 31)

Nov 182009

F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x 5.4L

My wife was actually driving my truck that day. SHE was coming through a work zone and just all the sudden driver side window started moveing down.U no it would be raining at that time and it wouldnt come back up.

- , Oneida, TN, USA

Jun 152010

F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x 5.4L

Getting to be a habit need recall...............FORD listen to your consumer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Oneida, TN, USA

Jun 272010

F-150 5.4L

This is the forth window that has failed. All four hve fallen into the door over a two year period.The repair on all four is pushing 2000.00. Three repaired at dealership one at independent repair shop. (they knew exacty what the problem was) The cheap plastic clipe holding the regulator in place breaks due to the heat of the sun. I say that due to it happening to me four times all during he summer months.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 142010

F-150 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up

Hi all. Not much more to say than has already been said. If anyone is interested in fixing it themselves, I wrote a tutorial with lots of photos that might help:

Honestly, Ford really has no obligation to fix for trucks not under warranty, which includes mine. I can't really blame them for that. The only blame I can really assign Ford is not fixing it until 2009, even when they knew about the problem. That was a really bad call. Good luck everybody.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 222010

F-150 LD 5.4L 3v Sohc

This is the third different window this has happened and each time it has cost me $485 to replace through the dealership. You can only order the parts through the dealership and it's still costly, so you are are better off having them doing. I am waiting for the fourth and final window regulator assembly to fail. Ford does not consider this a recall item, so I am looking at an additional estimated $2K on top of what I paid for this truck. I don't understand why Ford will not step up and take action. I found this info from a Ford Forum where apparently I am not the only one. There seems to be quiet a few people out there with the sames problem. THIS IS THE LAST FORD I OWN AND WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN!

- , Deer Park, TX, USA

Jun 022009

F-150 Lariat V8

This was the first of two complaints filed for the same issue. My driver side window issued a loud pop and then slowly sunk out of view into the door. I took it to my non-Ford mechanic and it was fixed for $540. Based on what I read here, I think I got taken. One other thing to note, the mechanic pointed to a 2004 Expedition being repaired in the bay next to mine and he said that they had experienced two windows falling within a week of each other. So, this issue may be shared with the Expedition.

I am also filing a second claimant now for my passenger side window that just fell this morning. The truck is at the local Ford dealership - regulator replacement is the prescribed action for $498. ARRGGGHHH!

Please file your complaints here (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm). Ford needs to own up to this obvious quality issue and fix it!

- , Magnolia, TX, USA

Jun 232010

F-150 XLT 5.2L V8

Stopped at light and heard very loud pop on passenger side. Sounded like rock hit door. About 30 minutes of driving later I rolled down passenger window and there it stayed. Would not roll back up. Opened door up myself and found window regulator cable snapped, but the motor still good. Entire system had to be removed from door with window taped up to hold it up inside of door. Regulator not available except from dealer at about 200.00. However, there is now a part number for this part at the aftermarket part suppliers which means that that part will be available soon (couple of months???) I will probably buy part and install myself. Pain doing in 95 degree heat of Florida sun but better than paying another $200. to dealer just to install!

- , Holly Hill, FL, USA

Jun 222010

F-150 5.4L

Have replaced both front window regulators, did not purchase from ford, ordered from company over the net. Not much of a problem to repair yourself, have to be careful removing door panel. Now here is the problem, the right rear door window regulator needs to be replaced company previously used do not carry rear regulators. Have contacted several other companies, same results, need help locating place to purchase rear window regulator. Have previously contacted Ford regarding problem, no results, cussed local Ford dealer no results.

- , Graham, TX, USA

Dec 022009

F-150

After reading all of these complaints, I will go to Ford and Tell Them That I have heard ALL my window grinding at one or another time, so they will replace all regulators before the other windows drop. My driver side window had fallen when I was in my apartment and a kind neighbor thought I had forgotten to roll up my window! DAMN

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 092010

F-150 5.4L

This is my second window to break, this time it's the driver's side back seat, last year it was the passenger side rear. The part (regulator) cost approx. $125 at the Ford Stealership and I found an individual that'll repair it for $100. Oh, and I need to mention, my rear slider quit working so long ago I forgot about it. Never had it fixed. I'm wondering if the replacement part is as defective as what was originally installed?

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 172010

F-150 Lariat V8

This was the second of two complaints filed for the same issue. In the first complaint filed almost a year ago, my driver side window issued a loud pop and then slowly sunk out of view into the door. I took it to my non-Ford mechanic and it was fixed for $540. Based on what I read here, I think I got taken. One other thing to note, the mechanic pointed to a 2004 Expedition being repaired in the bay next to mine and he said that they had experienced two windows falling within a week of each other. So, this issue may be shared with the Expedition.

I am filing this (my second) claim now for my passenger side window that just fell this morning. The truck is at the local Ford dealership - regulator replacement is the prescribed action for $498. ARRGGGHHH!

- , Magnolia, TX, USA

Jan 012010

F-150 4.6L V8

This is the 3rd window regulator in this truck to fail! It is expected that over time a power window motor will fail. The problem is that in most cars the motor and regulator is based on an "X" brace and geared regulator. Ford went with an electric motor with a sorry plastic spool that winds a cable. If the cable breaks (Common) or if the grooves on the spool wear (common) the cable binds and breaks. THEN THE !@# WINDOW FALLS INTO THE DOOR! It gives no notice, pops, falls and leaves you, your truck and all of your belongings exposed swinging in the breeze. The Ford part is $200, finally there is an aftermarket replacement for $100. I bought one and it was even sorrier than the OEM, so you about have to pay the price. I do the work myself, but I'M sure it would cost another $200 to have it fixed. $400 times 4 windows times is $1600!!!! This is a problem FORD!

- , Kerrville, TX, USA

Jun 082010

F-150 5.4L V6

I have had my 2004 F-150 for 4 years now and this is the third time my electric window regulator has failed (twice on driver's side and once on passenger side). My truck is currently in the shop for the latest incident, but the prior 2 failures cost me right around $350. I'm think about opening a seperate bank account titled "window regulator repair" and just transfer $30 a month into it.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 302009

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I have a 4 door supercrew and 3 of 4 windows have broke on there own not the glass but you roll them down and the never come back up. you have to replace the whole window motor regulater and the frame because the steel cable gets kinked up on its own and snaps or kinks up so bad it can not be reused. this is around a 300 dollar fix so im about 900 into it.I have had so many people tell me they have had one or two go out im the first with three that I know of. I dont know it this is a design flaw by Ford or the supplier to Ford that makes the window regulator but I do know there has been no recall and that you cannot buy the parts you need except at ford parts dealers only

- , Irving, TX, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

his is the second window I have had gone bad. First one was under warranty at about 16000 miles. Now I am at about 49000 and my rear driver's side motor has gone out. I have a Supercrew Cab.

- , Delan, FL, USA

May 302010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I was pretty surprised to see my 2004 F-150 FX4 truck this morning with the drivers side window down.. (My truck has under 12,500 miles on it because I built it to be a show truck) I did happen to take it out for a drive yesterday and I thought- A) When did I put the window down? and B) How could I have been so thoughtless as to not put the window up after parking it? Well, as I investigated things further I realized that the window somehow had fallen inside the door and wasn't about to come back up. The point of the story is, is that I took the door apart and removed the motor and track assembly and found that nothing was physically broken but the cable was wound up and kinked around the motor cable pully and I am assuming that I will have to replace everything. After seeing all of these complaints for the same issue- WHAT THE HELL FORD, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A WIDE SPREAD PROBLEM THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE A SILENT RECALL TO FIX. (A silent recall is when a recall notification is sent to dealers to fix a specific problem on vehicles if a customer happens to come there for a problem relating to the silent recall notification- what that means is that they won't issue a wide spread recall for the specified problem but they will fix the problem free of charge if you have this certain problem..

- , Pinckney, MI, USA

Apr 102010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Well not quite a year since my driver's side window fell, my passenger side window fell today. Such a BIG pain in the a$$. Dealership wants $400+ to fix it, small body shops want $220. Gonna try to rig it myself with vise grips to hold it up like I did the other one until I can get them fixed. Tried to contact Ford about this problem before about having a recall, but I just get the run around. Even filed a complaint with the BBB, but they wouldn't help me either. I will find the parts on ebay and attempt to fix it myself. Ford really dropped the ball when they made these. I'm very disappointed and SERIOUSLY doubt I will EVER buy another Ford.......

- , Farmington, MO, USA

Mar 302010

F-150 5.4L

I have had my truck for 5 years, and it is a good truck. No problems except for the electric window regulator. I just had a second one go out. The first one was the drivers front about 1.5 years ago (truck was 4.5 years old) stuck in the down position. New regulator at the dealer cost for part and labor $329. Just recently the second window, same problem. New regulator and parts, $380. Overall, this has been a good truck, but the window regulator issue should be a recall after looking on this site at how many people are having this problem! Just my 02 cents._

- , Newbury Park, CA, USA

Jan 152010

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

I have had both my rear regulators go out. I heard that signature pop that scared the heck out of be as it sounded like a big pebble hitting my car. Then I saw how the window started to roll down by itself. I cannot even find that parts for it anywhere so I have the window repair lock the rear windows and unplug the regulator. THESE NEED TO BE FIXED. NOT EVEN THE DEALER HAS THESE PARTS! WTF!!!!!!

- , West Covina, CA, USA

Feb 002010

F-150 XLT V8

This was the first of 3 windows that have gone bad on me! I dont remember the date exactly, but I had to manually push up my passenger side, back seat window. I have a supercrew. I finally got fed up and put some heavy duty cardboard inside the door to hold the window up. before that it would slowly work its way down as I drove anywhere.

- , Donna, TX, USA