8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 31)

Sep 032010

F-150 5.4L

Same problem as others, loud pop then the window just comes down into the door well. On vacation on holiday so no repair on the road here, just temporary fix to get us home. Window repair guy used vise grips to hold window up. did file a complaint with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation.

- , Umatilla, OR, USA

Aug 302010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

This is window #4 to have this issue....thank God I don't have anymore windows.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 212010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I developed a respect for Ford when, during the recent economic downturn, Ford was the only car maker not taking bail-out money. When it was time to upgrade my 92 Toyota 4x4, I saw this 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCab Lariat edition and bought it...my first Ford. I've owned it 3-months and after parking it in the driveway for 2-days, I jumped in to find the front passenger window in the down position. The window regulator had failed, dropping the window down into the door. I might have understood if the door were being opened and closed or the window was being raised or lowered but that was not the case. Fortunately, it did not happen while traveling 70 mph down the interstate or while my wife was sitting next to it and it was discovered before I left for vacation and just before a severe thunderstorm hit.

My local Ford dealer confirmed my diagnosis and presented me with a $458.00 repair bill. I had a 90-day temp. warranty from the Lexus dealer where I bought the vehicle but it doesn't cover window regulators so...I'm out the cash. I asked two Ford service advisors if they had heard of any problems with Ford window regulators and they both said "No". One advisor went so far as to say he had never seen one fail on a Ford. It's all over the internet but they have never heard of it? Clearly this is either an engineering problem or a quality problem. The later is tough to imagine from a company who's advertising tag line was "Quality is Job #1" or "Quality neither Toyota or Honda can match" so...it must be an engineering issue worthy of a recall.

I recommend Ford replace the fragile plastic parts with metal for durability. The cost is minimal and Ford will get more mileage out of happy customers. Afterall, when I park and lock my vehicle, I don't expect the windows to fall down.

- , Sheperdsville, KY, USA

Aug 162010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

FORD should step up and fix this problem obviously this has happened

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Feb 052010

F-150 V8

My seventy three year old mother has a 2004 F150, no joke. Twice the windows have fallen down during her long distance trips to Indiana. Both times it has scared the living heck out of her. She is tired of this issue and wishes someone would let Ford know. I've told they do, they just don't care. Where is NHTSA, do they not see a problem, or is it falling on deaf ears there also? I can see why Ford ignores the problem, but NHTSA???

- , Cherryville, NC, USA

Aug 112010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Thought I would add my voice to the numerous others related to the regulator issue. 2nd time it's happened (rear passenger 2 years ago, passenger window today), will fix myself this time, $250 the first go around. Ford really needs to step up to the plate.

- , Chelsea, AL, USA

Aug 062010

F-150 5.4L V8

Driver's side window fell down into the door while driving from simply rolling the window up. It cost $373.60 to fix the Window Regulator Assembly. Ford would not pay for the repair even though they are aware of the issue. Research on the internet proves this to be a fairly common problem with F-150's. Will there ever be a recall?

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jul 302010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I work out of town and come back after 3 days to find that sometime while gone that my window had fallen down leaving my truck open to the elements and anybody that wanted in. I then called a window repair shop and was told this was a common problem for fords and they could only fix it in another town at their shop and it had to be done during the week and not on weekends which I'm only able to do.So I am currently waiting on the rain to stop so I can attempt to repair it myself since the ford dealer closed in my area.

- , Madison, NC, USA

Aug 062010

F-150 Lariat

We've replaced our 2 front window regulators or motors (?) and now within one weeks time, both of my back windows have fallen down into the door panel. I don't think I should have to pay for this to have it fixed.. Anyone know if it's something that I can get Ford to pay for now that its happened to all 4 windows?? WTH?

- , Ijamsville, MD, USA

Apr 022010

F-150 Crew Cab 5.4L

The F-150 Crew Cab has four doors. All of the doors now have had the window regulator replace. Ironically, they've all crapped out within 90 days of one another. Some of the windows are used every day such as the driver's window and some have only been used once or twice over the years such as the window directly behind the driver. Having now replaced every regulator at a price of around $250 each/installed, you might say I'm suspecting planned obsolescence. Extremely disappointed in Ford.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 202010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V6

Fourth Window!!!!! count it #4 last complaint was (#146) i think... no need in dwelling on how it happened... other than Wam.. it fell... wires get notted up....

If you want to save a little money buy part yourself.. and not from dealership.

Rear R 57,578 $409.00 Front L 68,268 $400.00 Front R 65,329 $400.00 Rear L 73,263 $300.00

Part #6L3Z1627001AA Total $1,509.00

- , Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 242010

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I guess that I am lucky that my window regulator has lasted as long as it has. I took the door apart and tried to get the window back up but unfortunately it will not go all the way. So as I wait for the replacement part to arrive I have to deal with rain storms that we are having. What a pain. I used to own a 74 Ford Gran Torino which had so many window problems that I swore off buying Fords but after 30 years I thought that Ford surely had figured out how to make a window work. What I didn't know was that they had a new window design but this one is worse than what I dealt with many years ago. Maybe in another 30 years I will try another Ford if they are still in business.

- , Olathe, KS, USA

Jul 272010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph, accidentally hit my rear driver side window button. Window did go down but then had a loud pop/bang and now the window will not go up. Once at home I manually pushed the window up (do to rain) but the window will not stay up it continues to slide down.

- , Farmington, AR, USA

Jul 172010

F-150

Well this is our SECOND issue with our Ford we bought less then 2 years ago. First we had the whole cam sensor BS issue. couple grand later that got fixed and now this. Driving with the kids today just rolled the window up and heard a loud snap and the window fell into the door. At this point I would never and will never buy a ford again....EVER They need to man up, grow a pair and fix what is defective.

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Dec 172009

F-150 Supercrew 4.0L

I too have the Ford F-150 Supercrew, and it was my front driver side window that fell...JUST AS I WAS GOING INTO A CARWASH!!! I am fixing it myself. Of course my truck had just gone out of warranty, so couldn't use that, and they wanted to charge me $450 to fix it on top of the $375 for the part. I found the part at O'Reilly's for $97. and I am doing the work myself with the help of online instructions.

I think Ford SHOULD be recalling these regulators and fixing the window issues for free....

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 162010

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

My second window regulator to fail (my vehicle still has under 37,000 miles on it). The first failure (passenger side) happened while driving and scared the bejesus out of me, not to mention my 80 year old uncle)!

The other day, my driver's side window decided to fall in the door. I was not around when it happened, but inside at my workplace. Luckily no thieves managed to take my open window as an invitation to snoop around. Luckily it had not yet been rained on (there was a BIG thunderstorm later that night).

Being as I had fixed the first window regulator myself, it wasn't too big a deal for me to open up the door panel, slide up the window, and temporarily put a Vise-Grip in my door frame to keep the window rolled up while I wait for my part to arrive from the internet (www.tascafordparts.com seems to have a pretty decent price on the regulators, I recommend them if you can wait a few days for shipping). I will say that at least Ford must use fairly decent window glass since neither of my windows have shattered.

All in all, this is just a very frustrating problem that the Ford Motor Co. needs to own up to. I absolutely love my truck, but the fact that the windows on this vehicle can just randomly disappear into the door is almost comical, and definitely NOT "Built Ford Tough". Luckily, I have only a regular cab pickup so luckily I won't have any rear windows to replace. I'm hoping that with new window regulators on each window that I don't find myself posting here again.

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Jul 122010

F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x 5.4L

This is getting to be a habit, this is the THIRD WINDOW MOTOR and REGULATOR on my truck and Im not the only one that is having the same trouble with problem!!!!!!!! This should be address by FORD and RECALLED. Made up, and re- bursted people who has done been through replacing 3, one more I will have done every door. Don't make alot of since the back windows haven't been rolled down 100 times I bet...........DESIGN SCREW-UP

- , Oneida, TN, USA

Jul 012010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

My truck windows on my 2004 FX4 f-150 just completely stopped working,all 4 of my windows wont work.I did replace my buttons switch to roll down and raise my windows thinking that may be the cause,of course it wasn't,next i was told it could be the fuse or breaker .There is a weird thing going on with my truck and that is sometimes i will push the switch to lower my window and it will work but then stops right away.

Does anybody have a solution for this?also is there any kind of recall going on about this issue?Please feel free to contact me at mgdrob@hotmail.com or 559-730-1622 my name is Robert,i would love to hear the solution to this problem.

- , Visalia, CA, USA

Jul 072010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

dont drive truck much now. bought work car, keep truck clean and nice. never owned a ford till this one thought ford would be a good change. every chevrolet i had was crap so i wanted something different. never buy chevy again, after reading bout these problems probably ford either. i will have it fixed but anything else its gone and no more fords. if ford knows of problem they should fix.

- , Odenville, AL, USA

Jun 232010

F-150

This is definitive factory defect,some cheep plastic parts must broke because of the temperature,2 week apart bolt window fell in to the door.OK is 2004 truck,I can understand is not new, the strange part is 2 window the same week.I am no expert I open one of the doors an the cable still intact so must be some cheep plastic parts,I went to a window repair shop,they tell me to repair 2 window will cost $ 1100.00 this sound right ?

Thanks,