8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 31)

Sep 012009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I have discovered that the problem with the windows failing in the F150 pickups is basically the 2004/2005 models and as best described, a designed to fail item. The parts are proprietary and usually fail more than once and after warranty ends. I have been a Ford owner and as far as a new vehicle purchase it would always have been a Ford until this issue with my pick up. The only foreign or other makers have been used vehicles for various reasons. But I will probably not buy another Ford after this and the automatic transmission problem. That started slipping with on 30k miles and at 47k has started slipping again. Dealership repair shops are a ripoff these days. The window though is absurd. Packing tape will not even keep the window up. It seems that random power burst pull the window down but no power from the switches enable you to raise the window. After seeing blogs about the problem and how pervasive the problem seems to be, I expected a recall. But according to the local dealer, it is not even on the radar of Ford or the part supplier to recall. This is a ripoff situation. Well, Ford got me this time but not again. I thought the Continental tires that came on the vehicle that wore out in 29k miles was bad enough. But with the window problem and transmission, I don't think I can justify buying another one. I was a lifelong Ford owner I thought. I have to consider a Toyota now. Any suggestions out there from anyone? Forget Government Motors or Dodging taxpayers, I will not buy those.

- , Mount Holly, NC, USA

Jan 272010

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

Both driver side window and passenger window (both front windows) on two separate occasions I simply rolled down the window to talk to someone on the outside of my vehicle (as I have every other time) and the window got about 3/4 down and I heard an odd thump tried to roll it up and I heard a god awful grinding noise that I thought for sure was my window had shattered. Then the second time, (my driver side) I rolled down my window again to talk to someone and again heard the same thmp this time no grinding noise, but I have temporarily fixed both windows by jerry rigging it so the stay up and then I unhooked the switch so it cant happen again until I can afford the $800+ to fix both of them...........oh how fun..........thanks FORD for another great vehicle and not being there for your HUNDREDS of customers with this same problem WOW don't you think it may be a manufacturers defect if it has happened all to the same year same vehicle all explained and sounds exactl the same................go figure.

- , Norwich, CT, USA

Jul 232009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I REALLY THINK THAT THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY PISSED OFF FORD OWNER

- , Kountze, TX, USA

Jan 112010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I too have a 2004 Ford F-150 and it's passenger door window has stopped working. If there are this many issues with the window, Ford should be issuing a recall on this repair. I don't know whether the parts are available online or not. I am going to try to fix it myself, but am not sure if I can get the parts. If I can't I'll wedge the window in place and live with it stuck. But I will surely think twice before I buy a Ford again. This shouldn't be a problem.

- , Akron, OH, USA

Jan 152009

F-150 Lariet 5.4L V8

I got this truck nov. 06 we have replaced regulators 3 times since and the damn thing is out again....have not got it fixed yet my warranty is up so its gonna cost alot more than a deductible this time..so why is there no recall on this stupid part if so many people are having problems??? Up for any ideas or ways to fix this problem without spending an arm and 2 legs for it....transmission slips too. and my gas truck sounds like a diesel imagine that ...looking for a good fix money is tight ...

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Jan 152010

F-150

Driving down the road, thump - window falls down in door... it was 30 degrees and on a Saturday afternoon with rain forecast that night and all day Sunday. I've liked this truck until now but from what I've read on this site about the lack of concern from Ford about a problem this widespread, I'll be less likely to be a repeat customer of Ford products.

- , Stanford, KY, USA

Jan 022010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V6

Same as previous Complaints posted. This is my 3rd widow regulator to fail on my 2004 F-150 Lariat. (1St 57k), (2nd 65k), (3rd 68k) I Iove my truck... but today, the Front Passenger Window.... WHAM!!! fell inside the bottom of the door. My previous invoices for the (Front Left window) and (Rear Right window) each totaled just over $400.00 In my last complaint I mentioned that i expected the others to fail.. AND IT DID... so I have one left to fail and replace. Now, I have no alternative but to file a small claims.

- , Beaumont, TX, USA

Nov 032009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Sounds like i am just adding fuel to the fire. I have had more problems out of this truck in 10k miles than i have ever had in all of my vehicles

- , Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Dec 122009

F-150 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab 5.4L Triton V8

Started to Canton Georgia for the "Wreaths Across America Ceremony" at the Veterans Cemetery when I encountered some heavy traffic........didn't know if it was an accident or what, but I let the Drivers side window down to signal doing a u turn to go a different route.......when I tried to get the window back up the motor just buzzed......now it's stuck in the down position and rain is coming in.......checked on line and discovered that this is a fairly common problem.......hundreds of complaints about the regulators going bad, but again.....Ford isn't doing anything about it.........and Once Again, I'm beginning to realize that Ford isn't built so TOUGH after all.....and my next truck will definitely be a Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab.......no more Ford's for this family......the Expedition my wife drives will be the first to go, then the F150......anyone interested?

Tom

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 032009

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Why won't Ford publish a fix on their dime? What is causing the regulators to go bad?

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Dec 082009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

It is obvious based on all of the complaint that Ford has a problem with the window cables/regulators. I was driving home in a cold rain last night and the driver side window suddenly dropped down inside the door cavity. I made a conscious decision to buy a Ford, although I did test drive the Toyota Tundra.what a mistake that was. I will be writing Ford and the BBB.I'll be back to inform of any response.

- , Troutman, NC, USA

Nov 102009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

The drivers window has gone twice, the passenger side only once. I should be grateful !!!! The first two were under warranty, the last time, no. I went to Ford with my paperwork from the previous two fixes, but this was a NEW problem, they said, and could only be fixed with a new motor, along with the 80 bucks for diagnosis. Total fix, 480 !!! I declined Fords offer to fix my trucks window for 5% of what I paid for the truck....just didn't seem right. BUT........driving to work at 2 AM at 35 degrees with a cool breeze roaring down my neck I wonder if it might be worth it. It is a matter of principle, and I really want to fix it myself before I sell the truck and start driving something NOT made by Ford. I recently donated a 200,000 mile Infinity that not once had a window fall or fail....by that mileage on the Ford I should expect 9 more failures !!!!

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 022009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I read most of the complaints. When you guys get to window number 5 then you have real reasons to beef. Three window regulators broke while still in the warranty range. Window 4 and 5 have made me a little apprehensive to pay for a job that would start the cycle all over again. Those of you who have investigated the problem yourself came to realize that the little plastic wedge they used to hold that heavy window up was done specifically on purpose to have something to repair. I'm no engineer but I also know that you cant hold a five gallon bucket full of liquid with a bakery string. I've become quite the expert, I now carry a tool that they use for tile pickup or carrying glass in my vehicle, should another window break. If you suction the air out and place it at the bottom of the window it will hold your window in place. It works so well that I've had it on one window for a couple of months. I'm actually waiting for someone to make a replacement piece for that chinzy piece of crap they want to sell you the whole regulator for $150. When the actual part thats broken is only the plastic piece that should go for maybe $5.

Now that you all know this, hopefully your as mad as I am. If you think that Ford couldnt sell you the plastic piece seperately look at it and realize its a seperate part. Do you still think this wasnt a ploy to extract hard earned cash from your pocket. Oh yeah happy Holidays.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Nov 272009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Sitting in Wal Mart parking lot and heard a LOUD bang in/on driver's door, thought someone had thrown some thing at the truck!

From reading complaints all over the 'net,,, this seems to be a big enough problem for Ford to "graciously" take care of.

- , St. Charles, IA, USA

Nov 192009

F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up

I'm in the process of replace the problem myself. I included some pictures to start. First remove the screws at the bottom of the door plastic. Remove the speaker trim and the speaker. Now remove the window power button console and unplug the harness. Remove the door opening handle screws and the one below it. To remove the door plastic PUSH UP from the bottom. DO NOT pull out. See the pictures for the details on how the plastic is attached to the door. Remove the plastic sheeting. Now you can get to the window parts. Fornow I pushed my window back up and tied it in place. I'll try to post more with pictures on how to finish the repair. Rod

- , Rye, CO, USA

Nov 232009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Just like the other 300 plus people out there, my rear passenger side window fell into the door driving home from work. When I pressed the button to roll it up, it made an awful grinding noise. I suddenly had the strange sensation of $100 bills being sucked out the window at 80 mph.

Of course the warranty has expired so I will fix it myself to make sure the job is done right the first time. Ford sucks, Chevy is owned by the government and who in there right mind would buy a Chrysler? It sounds like the next vehicle will have to be foreign.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 102009

F-150 Lariat 5.3L

This is the third window regulator that has been replaced.

- , Burleson, TX, USA

Aug 122008

F-150 XLT Triton 4.6L

I have to add my voice now that I see how many people are experiencing the same problem. Both of my front windows have now fallen into the abyss. I've pried them out of hell and they are being held up by the grace of clear packing tape! This is my work vehicle and I'm humiliated, but my wife and four kids come first, so I muck on, hoping my customers won't notice the clear tape. But they do, and bless their hearts, they keep offering to help me fix it! I have the best customers, and they deserve my loyalty, but I'm beginning to wonder if the same is true for my Car Company. I have a 67 ford f 150 in my driveway if that tells you anything. My father was the original owner. I have been bragging on Ford for not taking bail out money, but now I can see where they are getting their extra money from SELLING CRAPPY WINDOW REGULATORS to their loyal customers! Ford, get on this!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 012009

F-150 Lariat 4.8L

I have this f150 lariat and last month the back window fell. I opened the inside of the door and the motor had unwound the cable which causes the window to drop. The motor will have to be replaced. A week ago the right back window also fell. Now I have two broken windows. It will cost at least 130.00 for each motor and then it will cost anywhere from 80 to 150 for each window. Ford will not cover this and I have read hundreds of complaints about the same problem. There should be a recall from ford. I have had 2 fords and I would not consider one again.

- , Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 072009

F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L

Same as everyone ... freakin window just comes down without touching it ... then you pay $425 to get your environmentally controlled cab back ... what a piece of crap ... we hardly drive this vehicle and this is 2nd major item to fail. The 1st item was some major "computer" component that failed at 27000 miles. We liked our 1st truck but this one will drive us to get rid of as fast as possible before the rest of the windows cause us to pay our another $1000.

- , Houston, TX, USA