1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 31)

Jul 092007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Problem 1. passengar side window wouldn't roll up had to have the motor changed. What a rip off.

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Nov 212009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Ok after reading many post I see I am not the only one with the window aggravation. About 2 years ago my passengar side window went out NOW my driver side went out. What a frickin joke that Ford won't recall this as it's obviously a problem. I'm hoping by doing it myself it won't cost the $450.00 it did the first time. We'll see.

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Nov 182009

F-150 Lariat V8

2 months ago I paid $525 to have one window repaired, 2 weeks ago the second window fell inside the door and it is being held up with blue tape right now, yesterday the third fell inside the door! I am at my wits end and this is going to end up costing me over $1500! Ford should cover the expense, there are too many other owners with the same problem!

- , St George, UT, USA

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Rear window regulator bit the dust just a few days ago. This is the third window to do so within a one year period. Really a pain in the ass. First time it was the passenger side window breaking when we were leaving Lake Havasu City in 113 degree temperature. Had to partially disassemble door panel to manually pick up window and tape in place. $400.00 later, good as new. A few months later, drivers side goes same scenario although temperature outside wasn't as bad. Driving down the freeway doing 70 MPH wasn't pleasant though. Another $400.00 and good to go. Now the rear passenger window regulator breaks and I have a decision to make, pay another $400.00 or try and fix myself. I hear parts run about $150.00 from dealer if lucky. You think Ford would make a part that would last more than four years.

- , Menifee, CA, USA

Nov 162009

F-150 FX4 5.4L

My husband was driving our son to the busstop. He went to roll the wondow down and it made a crazy loud noise and fell about 6 inches. He was able to get out of the truck and push the window up by hand. SO today, about 2 weeks after this happened, the window started to slip down while I was driving home from work. I got home and pushed it back up and went in the house. 25 minutes later we get in the truck to leave and my husband says "where is the window?" The darn window is in the door now! SO instead of taking the family somewhere tonight, we all got to go to the dealership and find out that it is ging to cost us 400 dollars and they can do it tomorrow. Who has 400 dollars before christmas in this economy! I am SO ticked!

I live 30 minutes + from work, and now I HAVE to get it fixed before I drive on the highway (at 0630) to work again.

- , St Augustine, FL, USA

Nov 112009

F-150 Lariat 5.3L

This is a nice truck with the exception of the window regulators. I have had to replace 3 so far. I expect the fourth to occur anytime. Should be a recall. When I wrote to Ford, I was told it is not a safety hazzard. Try 60MPH on the highway and your window drops into the door and tell me it's not unsafe.

- , Burleson, TX, USA

Nov 092009

same as every one else. My rear window went dropped into door never to return. There are so many complaints about this problem ford should have a recall on these trucks. Cost me $350 of money that i can not afford to loose in these times.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

May 282009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

This was the second window to slide down into the door, one day later a third window broke. Ford still refuses to classify these faulty regulators as a recall. Another $800 dollars down the drain. Last time I purchase a ford.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012009

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 and this is the 2nd window regulator that has failed - both the driver's side and passenger's side. The latest one failed this weekend while my wife was pulling a horse trailer. The window abruptly fell out of its supporting bracket and sounded like someone shot at the car. My wife almost swerved.

At $450 x 2 = $900 for window regulators you can be sure I WON'T be buying another ford truck after this one.

My grandfather worked at Ford for 30 years and this was my first Ford vehicle and my first American car. Huh.

- , Ramona, CA, USA

F-150 LS

This is the third window that has fallen down in my 2004 F150...I have spent $500 so far to have two of the windows fixed....I really wish Ford will have a recall on this!!!

- , Hope Hull, AL, USA

Aug 212008

F-150 Lariat 4.6L

I don't have much to add. My complaint is like everyone else. They need to recall and fix their crappy design. The 3 tabs broke on regulator. They wanted $180 just for the part. I told them to stick it. I emailed ford and complained and they said it was out of warranty and their was nothing they could do. Great customer service. Thanks ford. I put 3 screws in it and fixed it. Bottom line, first and LAST ford product I will own.

- , Savannah, TN, USA

Oct 012008

F-150 Crewcab 5.4L

So this is just ridiculous. I have had three of my four window regulators go out. It started with the left rear window falling about a year ago. Due to the economic times and the lack of time to deal with it, I just brushed it off. That was just over a year ago. About in February of this year my front passenger side regulator also went out, with the window falling to the ground. Once again the lack of time and money, I have wedged a 2X4 into the doors to prop the windows up. Now, on Halloween, the drivers door window collapsed and is now sitting in the door. What a piece of crap. I cant believe that there are this many complaints about the regulators and nothing has been done about it. This is an obvious problem and the people at Ford need to take it into consideration and fix the problem. I have been a Ford man since I was a wee lad, now I am looking to greener pastures on the other side.

- , Leona Valley, CA, USA

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Just like everyone else. The window fell into the door. Yep 04 F150 It's like time release breakage! Good One Ford! Ford Tuff?

So I don't have a garage, It was 15 degrees last night, my other car is a MG and it is in the shop. I have a motorcycle, brrrrrrr. Crap!!!!!

I will be another to send in a complaint to the NHTSA.

- , Flagstaff, AZ, USA

May 122009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Came out from work one day and rear window was down, attempted to raise but all I got was a grinding noise. Took to dealer to repair, cost was @ $400.00. Three weeks later I had two more windows fall down into the door. Another $800.00 right as I was about to pay off the truck. Ford refuses to classify this problem as a recall, I'm just waiting for the last window to break.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 222009

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up

I bought a 2004 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 truck last October. When I took it home from the dealer, I rolled down the passenger-side rear window and it just dropped inside the door. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. I thought it was just a random incident or that it just came off the track and no big deal. Well, a couple days ago (now that I've had it for 1 year and no warranty) I picked up my kids from school and as we were driving home the driver-side rear window (the other one this time) fell down inside the door. I had no warning, didn't hit any button, and suddenly wondered where the wind was coming from. At first I thought my kids rolled it down but hey didn't. I tried to roll it up with the power control button on my arm-rest and nothing happened. All I heard was a grinding sound and remembered what happened the first time around and went "awww great!" This is the second window in a year and after researching heavily online I discovered I'm not alone. I am dumbfounded as to how this issue with Ford Window Regulator/Motors and Cable/Pulley Assemblies has not forced a RECALL!!! How is this possible with all of the complaints posted with NHTSA and online forums? I have been told this isn't a recall issue because it doesn't affect emissions or safety, but if that's the case, how is this not a safety/security issue??? I'm lucky that my window didn't shatter and hit me or, more importantly, my children! Not only that, but what if this had caused an accident? Nobody should be driving down the road, hear a loud clunk, freak out, and swerve off the road! Not a safety issue? Seriously? And what about this being a security issue? How in the hell do I keep my window up and lock my truck while I'm shopping for groceries or something? Not only could someone steal something inside but they could steal my truck! If this isn't a security issue then why do I have remote locks/alarm? Something has to be done about this! I don't have $400 to throw away in this economy! Thanks to this website I filed my complaint with NHTSA, confirmation #10289767, and suggest you all do the same. Here's some info: This site for filing a complaint. (you will need your VIN) This site to follow up your complaint with an email demanding a recall

1-800-392-3673 This is the number for Ford Customer Care. Let 'em know how ya feel.....

In my particular situation I'm not too sure if my regulator is bad but as a result, the cable and cable-winder are FUBAR. As you can see the winder that holds the cable is completely stripped out and when I took everything apart I had to cut the cable due to the rat's-nest. What a way to spend football/baseball Sunday huh? lol...I took the door panel apart, had to suspend the window with rope while I pulled out the window slide and assembly, take this crap apart, and then reinstalled window into slide and wedged 2x4's to hold window up. Needless to say, my driver-side rear window is permanently shut and I am not paying a dime to fix it.

I have owned Ford's my whole life and this is my 5th truck. Thanks alot FORD! Fix your SH*%!!! This power window cable/slide/pulley/motor assembly is total CRAP. I am gonna sell my truck and buy a Toyota. I've had it.

- , Menifee, CA, USA

Oct 172009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Went to get into my truck noticed my rear window was down, thought maybe my daughter had left it down but when I went to roll it up I could hear the motor and the window wasn't going up. Husband thought maybe it was off track so he took the door panel off and noticed cables. Did a search and saw this is a common thing with Fords windows. Called Ford dealership to see what the part was going cost was told 149 and some change, that is almost 600.00 dollars to replace all the windows for the parts alone. Called Ford customer service was told they haven't heard of any issues with the windows.

2 years ago noticed my back seat would get wet when it would rain assumed it was the seal around the window took it to Ford and was told it was the 3rd brake light that was leaking and it so happened that my warranty was out due to the date not the mileage so I had to spend 150.00 to have them replace the seal around the brake light.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Sep 152009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Same as everyone else. Washing my truck and noticed my rear passenger window was down. Thought to myself that seemed odd as I knew I didn't put it down. Wouldn't go back up. $425 later (new regulator) and all is well. Didn't think to Google and see how common this issue appears to be. Love my Ford truck so I'll deal with it but it does seem like Ford created a crappy product.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 042009

F-150 Lariate 5.4L V8

The rear Drivers side window popped and fell down. I took the regulator out and found the plastic parts broken that hold the cable to one side. I have been looking for parts and can't find any which means Ford is cornering the market to charge high prices for inferior products. I am very disappointed in Ford (I have always liked them before) and after reading the complaints, I wonder when the next window will fail. Also the rear sliding window has only worked about 3 times since I bought the truck.

- , Carlsbad, NM, USA

Oct 242009

F-150 XLT Tritan V8

Third window to fall.... Yes THIRD.... None under warranty. This has got to be fixed by FORD. I will not ever, ever, ever buy another Ford because of this. Not only will I be in for over $1,500 to fix all of the windows that have broken, the dealer Sucks and never has the parts and has to order them in. The trucks look great, drive great, and have pitiful parts in them. No wonder our car industry has been in trouble. Why buy American that won't last.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 012009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

My 2004 F 150 drivers window was down, when reaching my destination I rolled up the window. Once up, a funny noise and now the motor will just run, window wont go up or down, but I can make it go down if I push it down by hand and like wise to put it up. Then to top it all off, doesn't the passenger side start to act up today WTF!!, rolls down when it wants to and would hardly go back up, time for Ford to swallow their pride and take care of their loyal customers!!! Not all of us are making the money that the big wigs from Ford are and can blow $300+ to fix our vehicles like its petty cash. So how bout it Ford, take care of us, and make this a recall action.

- , Clayville, NY, USA