1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 26 of 31)

Aug 022008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I called Ford about the driver's window dropping and reminded them that I had purchased 3 new Ford/Mercury vehicles in the past 5 years. I also told them I was in the market for a new 2009 F-150 and wasn't happy about wanting to be charged $275+ for the repair to my 2004. Ford called the dealership and made arrangements to have the repair done at a cost of $75 total to me. Ford saved me $200 on the repair which made me quite happy but I'm concerned what will happen when the next window breaks.

- , Webster, NY, USA

Aug 282008

F-150 LT 4.2L

click to see larger images

window does not roll up window does not roll up window does not roll up

I wrote this letter in part to Ford Motor Company. If you want them to hear your complaint cut and past this address below. I hope it will do you good.

To the Corporate Monkeys at Ford:

I dislike cursing and hearing vulgar language with over 120,000 words in the English language. To curse is a feeble attempt at a punning mind to express one self forcefully. But sometimes just the opposite is true so listen up you mother f*rs. You have failed miserably your loyal customers with the 2004 Ford 150 window assembly. I was put in the care of my father�s truck with 20,811 miles while he was out of state, it was not driven and this truck was put in storage, then when he comes back and gets in his truck both windows fall into the door within 5 seconds of each other. I get accuses of destroying his vehicle and loose his trust, I'm a 44 years old (like I deserve this.)

I end up loosing a day of work; take the door panels off, windows out, the widow assembly�s off, drive 80miles to dealership (roundtrip). Pay $105.00 for the passenger side and (your fed up price of 33% more for the drivers side $154.00). It�s now back together but it gets better. All of this because of a 5 cent piece of plastic clamp that you refuse to change to a metal piece or sale by itself and make the cable hole bigger thru the clamp. Tell me? for what reason did I need to purchase a new motor and gearing assembly when just removing 3 screws I could of reused it. Oh yea what a fix you came up with. So f*** you, and your mother, and especially your company. FORD

NOTE: If your not great with tools do NOT Replace this yourself. But know this FORD will Charge you 1.5 Book hours for this repair. BUT it will only take 15 to 20 min. I learned something today. I always owned a Ford since 1981 and still have one, but NEVER AGAIN.

- , Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Aug 232008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Well, guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else, Driver Side Window, made the crunching noise when I rolled it up and when I went to roll it down, it just fell, very LOUD NOISE, thought the window broke. When I took it to a Window Repair Shop, they said the cable probably broke and the ENTIRE DOOR MECHANISM would have to be replaced! THIS IS RIDICULOUS TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Aug 252008

With all this I'm hearing about multiple windows just "sliding down", it actually makes me feel a little grateful that I'm just on my first window. Maybe by the time I'm on my 2nd or 3rd, Ford will man up and do something about it or maybe they'll just go bankrupt and let Toyota and Honda take over the whole planet. I look like an idiot rolling down the street with my driver side window down not to mention the big inconvenience. I can put up with a leak that comes through my roof area where by back window was not sealed correctly and still not act like a big baby but this takes the cake. I'm real disappointed with Ford right now especially when I see my black plastic exterior pieces on my Sport Side have almost faded to white (must be global warming huh?). I've always enjoyed Ford but in this case - FORD - Furious Over Ridiculous Design - Sums it up for me! I've boycotted McDonald's, Tyson chicken, and Ford's next if they don't watch it.

- , Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 072008

F-150 Crew ?

Driver's door window dropped down when truck was being parked at work. Window wasn't even being used on drive to work. Read the first 10 of the 109 complaints logged on about SAME problem. Called Bartow Ford and they said to save receipts for repairs...IN CASE there is ever a recall on it. So, I googled any CLASS ACTION ATTORNEYS to see if anyone can get a recall started or a class action suit started. Found one in Ft Myers & left email info, waiting to hear back from them. They are: Associates and Bruce Scheiner, if anyone is interested in emailing them too (the more the merrier). I also included in my email, so they can see for themselves how many people are having issues...and told them that so far the 2004's have 109 complaints (at this time). SOME attorney somewhere should jump on the chance to go after a major car company. We DO love our Fords but not the service. Let's see what we can shake up other owners!! This problem is rough. We have the window propped up with a piece of PVC pipe and 2 towels. Can't figure out how to fix ourselves. Took 2 people to get the window back up from inside the door. We need to get this problem brought out into the consumer world, not just the truck owners!!!

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 202008

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Well, I just left a complaint on here a few weeks ago about window number 3 falling, still haven't gotten that one fixed and today window number 4 fell. Lovely! That now makes a perfect 100% of my windows that have fallen. I came home and printed every single problem listed here regarding the windows falling....47 pages worth..and took it to the ford dealership. They weren't interested. They said it's too much of a pain to up-channel these problems to Ford and the only way they would have a recall is if enough people called and complained. I got the number from them..1-800-392-FORD....and called. But after navigating through their system I got a message that said their customer service is closed due to the tropical storm. I love Ford. This is sooooo much fun.

- , St. George, UT, USA

Aug 202008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Today, I finally had the 4th window motor/gear fail. Thankfully the other 3 failed under warranty, but when I asked if they would fix the 4th one when the 3rd one broke, they refused. I had heard there was a class action lawsuit for poor manufacturing, but don't know much more. Hope that happens soon. I still love the truck, but all 4 windows at 4 different times, come on.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 062008

F-150 Lariat SuperCrew V8

Well, add me to the list for this defective part. My truck is now 4 years old and has only 19,000 miles on it (but outside of Fords crappy 3/36000 factory warranty). I keep this truck in my garage and really baby it (not the low miles). Now of course, I wish I had driven it the full 36000 miles before the warranty expired. I called my local Ford dealer and got a quote of $365 to fix the part. The service rep was VERY familiar with the problem. I was pretty upset that this part would fail so early in the trucks life so I called Ford to see if they would help cover the cost of fixing this since my miles were so low. They took about 5 days to think about it and then called me back and said, 'no way'. So I told them that I thought is was pretty short sighted for them not to stand by their product in light of the low miles on it and the cost of driving away a customer for life. They could care less. I guess my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra. Ford Quality is a joke!

- , Stuart, FL, USA

Aug 132008

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

This is by far the number 1 complaint on this vehicle based on the data from this sight. Ford needs to recall / fix at no cost to owner.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jul 092008

F-150 5.4L

This happened while my wife was driving the truck--rolled window down and when attempting to roll it back up, it just slipped down inside the door. Pushing the up-down button just emits a whining noise - I'd love to try and fix it myself, but am not sure if I'd be successful and don't exactly know how to disassemble the door panel to do it. It really makes it bad, because we can't park the truck at the store for fear someone will burglarize it. Can't park it outside, because it might rain or some cat will get in there and urinate. Really annoying. I'm trying to dig myself out of credit card debt, and have been making progress for two years, but I don't have $300 or $400 to put toward this problem right now.

- , Georgetown, TX, USA

Aug 122008

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I am also having this same problem. While driving (windows up) the passenger window fell for no reason. It will not go back up and makes funny noises when I try to roll it up. I am surprised this is not recalled after seeing all these responses. This is a major pain especially because it is summer time and has been raining almost every afternoon. I'll dig into it and try to fix it myself. I am not going to pay all that $$$ if I can help it. I love Ford but comon guys.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jul 162008

F-150 XLT 4.8L

Well this is the 4th window to drop. I was out of town in Mexicali and like all the others I rolled down the window a bit and it started falling. Luckily my cousin held the window up, because its was 118 degrees outside. I taped the window to hold it up. My brother also has an 04 F-150 his window also dropped. We both don't have the money right now to fix the problem. And from seeing how much it cost to repair, I think this window will be out of service until I trade this crap in. hopeful Ford will recall this problem, but from reading all these blogs seems like they are not willing to work with anyone. "BUILT FORD TUFF" MY ASS!!

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 162008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This time it was the drivers side window. The same thing happened again. All of a sudden the window dropped and would not go back up. I live 30 miles from the dealership one way. Gas is expensive. Out of warranty by the years part, not miles.

Had to pay over $350.00.

- , Eufaula, AL, USA

Sep 222007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

When you have to go in for one window they should go ahead a replace all windows this was my first of 3 windows. None are the same window. I know based on this the other will happen in a matter of time.

- , Eufaula, AL, USA

Jul 252008

F-150 XL V8

Well, yesterday I parked my truck at my house with the windows rolled up half ways. Later that day, we got in the truck and the first thing I wanted to do, was to roll up the window to turn on the a/c 'cause it was so humid and hot outside. Well, as soon as I pushed the up button, a loud noise was heard and then a crushing sound. It was the window that never came back up. Immediately thought it was the window motor and every time we pressed the up/down button, we heard the crushing sound.

It was getting dark, so we had to leave the truck parked outside with the window down all night. The next morning, my husband investigated what was going on with this window. We searched the problem in the internet and were surprised as to how many people had the same problem. We printed out instructions on how to remove the door panel to see if the window motor or regulator were the problem; as that is, what seemed to be wrong with everyone owing a '04 F-150. Well, the first thing my husband noticed was that the cables were all jammed and the pulley was much damaged. We want to fix it ourselves since it is expensive to get it done at the dealership.

Now, I'm very frustrated since this is the vehicle we rely on for road trips and almost everything else. We live across the border to Mexico and it's not safe to even park a truck with the windows up, so having a window break or just fall down is a big NO, NO! How am I supposed to feel comfortable after reading that many people have all windows come down/break and that the problem continues even after the window has been fixed (with a new window regulator and motor)? It is ridiculous and do hope that these problems are investigated and recalled. It is obviously a factory/manufacturer's problem, should not be ours! >:(

- , Del Rio, TX, USA

Jul 222008

F-150 Super Crew Fx 4 5,4 V8

Well i really think ford need to do a recall on this and get something done and take care of there customers. they built tough but i believe built wrong describes this more then anything. also there are no retainers on the cable system in door and they have scratched and left marks on the windows from times of windows working. So maybe ford will come through and do the right thing otherwise we just suffer without the conveniences and die of heat or get soaked by the rain and snow or the bill. help me out here please. also does anyone know where to get the picture of manual of assembly of cables motors and regulators to look into myself thanks guys :) looking for help and info :)

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jul 262008

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

This is the 2nd window to fall in our truck, it's been covered with a $50 deductible under the extended warranty, but soon the warranty will be up and I'm worried it will keep happening. Otherwise the truck is great, but I can't see this not being a recall. A friend with the same truck had to replace three of his windows he now traded in the truck and bought a new Tundra....

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Apr 122008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Ford crew cab drivers side window made crunching noise then slide down inside door. It left me unable to secure any items in the truck during a fishing trip. It was also very hot on the way home. Contacted Ford about the serious security problem this causes. Ford basically stated they could not do anything about it.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 102008

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

well i would tell everyone my story but its the same as the other 94 on here. Big surprise, huh? This is my 3rd window to do this. I was planning on purchasing an '09 f-150. I think i'll pass.

- , St. George, UT, USA

Aug 092008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the second power window to fall out due to the faulty window regulator used in their F-150's. I contacted Ford and the dealership who offered no help or assistance. Ford is aware of this problem but is unwilling to remedy the situation, hopefully there will be a class action lawsuit. The parts guy at the local Ford dealership stated the sell a ton of these units (window regulators) and constantly reorder them to keep them in stock. This is the second window within a year that has done this. I am now waiting for the remaining two windows to fall out (crew cab).THANKS ALOT FORD!!! I will no longer buy Ford products and hopefully can sell the truck before the other two windows fall out.

- , Orlando, FL, USA