8.8

$1,333.00

2. all major differential components replaced (2 reports)
  3. replace all bearings in the rear axle (2 reports)
  4. use American made timken bearings (1 reports)
2005 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Apr 042012

F-150 LX 5.4L

I have driven this truck like a little old lady only to have the rear end turn to crap for me.64000 miles and I have to replace the rear differential.In the neighborhood of $2800 bucks for new parts. I am 54 years old and can remember running the crap out of our farm trucks. Change the oil add gas and drive like you stole it No Worries. Looks like Ford will never sell me another vehicle.Maybe Ford should have taken some of the Government money an hired some people that can build a Tough Truck.. Well I guess as soon as you get your truck paid for unload it before it eats you alive in repair bills. Lesson learned .Looks like GM gets the next sale. Happy wrenchin 150 owners.

- , Marysville, OH, USA

Sep 152011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Tritan

I looked under the truck today because it just didn't seem right when I was out running errands in it today. I noticed the cover on the differential was wet. I told my husband about it when I got home and he crawled under it to take a closer look. The bottom half of the cover was soaked with oil and he about put his finger right through it! Going to have to try and fix it tomorrow. I could hardly believe it was almost rusted through.

- , Portland, IN, USA

Aug 012009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Premature bearing failure is not surprising! Substandard bearings used and tolerances are definitely too tight and has caused the failure! I never thought I would say, that Japanese bearings would have been a better part! Ford has laughed about this and has told me about all of the premature failures. I find it offensive, that Ford keeps all of these parts in stock, due to the outrageous amount of customers that are entering the service department with the same issues, and that have been denied any type of warranty. Also the bad window regulator that I replace and they managed to have 26 of the driver window regulators in stock.(Parts guy did not even look up the part number, and went right to the shelf and grabbed it). How about the right front axle boot that has broke!(4x4) This truck spends most of it's life in my garage in Southern California and has never left the pavement! 100,000 mile warranty on fuel injectors that have failed and Ford has no answer for preventing premature failure. Vaccuum line recall to prevent booster failure! (This is a problem that has existed since 1997). COME ON FORD! FIX YOUR PROBLEMS! Ford Motor Company looks for loyalty, but shows non towards thier customers!!!!!!!!!

Randy Branch

- , Temecula, CA, USA

Aug 012009

F-150 5.4L V8

I purchased My Ford F-150 brand new and my rear differential has gone out 2 times, This is bulls#t. The first time it went out it was repaired by the Ford Dealer through warranty. One year and 2 months later its goes out and of course warranty is gone and Ford will not fix it because they only warranty their work for one year.Has anyone had this problem more than once? I have always purchased Ford Vehicles but this is definitely my last. Toyota appears to be more reliable.

- , Indio, CA, USA

Nov 052008

F-150 XLT 504

I SERVICED TRUCK ACCORDING TO FORD SPECIFICATIONS. BUT HAD GRINDING NOISES COMING FROM REAR AXLE. ONLY THING THAT HELPED ME IS THAT IM A HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC AND REPLACED ALL THE BEARINGS MYSELF. AT 60000 MILE THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. I ALSO DRIVE 1965 INTERNATIONAL SCOUT THAT HAS NEVER HAD ANYTHING BUT THE OIL CHANGED IN THE REAR AXLE. WHATS UP WITH THAT? FORD AND TIMKIN BEARING BETTER COME UP WITH BETTER SPECS. FOR THIS APPLICATION.

- , Clifton, CO, USA

Feb 232008

F-150 XLT Lariat 5.4L

I just wanted to add my vehicle to the list of complaints about the differential. Mine makes noise and has made noise for quite some time. I thought it might be the tires or rotors. I found out today that it was coming directly from the rear differential. I took it to the Ford dealer I bought the vehicle from, and the only answer I got was to bring it in for a half day so they could find out what the problem might be. It would cost me 90.00 to hook it up to a machine so they can tell me what it is. Based on the complaints I have heard, I am pretty sure this is the same thing. The noise sounds like metal running on metal. It gets louder the faster I go, and let off the gas. I believe this should be something Ford should pay to fix. If I have to pay for it, I'm definitely not using Ford.

- , Keizer, OR, USA

Aug 292007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Very dismayed. As soon as my warranty expired problems have started popping up. The latest is this whopper, "rear differential failure". Started hearing a large and growing whining noise eminating from the rear axle. Dealer wants $1,600 to overhaul the whole unit. At a quandry as to what to do. Part of me wants to find a reputable mechanic besides Ford to give my money too. I think this is terrible that it is not covered under warranty. If I had the resources I would sue them just because of their attitude about the whole matter.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Apr 122007

F-150 Lariat 5.4 TRITON

I really don't know what to say except all auto makers need to QUIT MAKING AND BUYING F'ING CHEAP ASS PARTS and go back to good ole days when sh*t lasted a while. NEED BETTER QUALITY PARTS PERIOD.

- , Garner, NC, USA

Feb 242007

F-150 LX 5.4L V8

THE DRIVE SHAFT IN MY TRUCK HAS CLUNKED AND JERKED AT TAKE OFF SINCE ABOUT 500 MILES. I HAVE HAD IT AT THE DEALER MULTI OCCASIONS TO NO AVAIL. THEY FIRST TOLD ME IT WAS NORMAL THEN THEY GREASED THE NON GREASABLE JOINTS IN IT A FEW TIMES IT ALWAYS STOPPED FOR ABOUT A MONTH THEN STARTED BACK AGAIN. I HAVE ASKED THEM TO PUT A NEW DRIVE SHAFT IN AND THEY REFUSE NOW THEY WANT TO CHECK THE YOKE AND I AM TIRED OF THE TEMPORARY FIX SITUATION SO I AM GOING TO TRADE IT FOR A TOYOTA TUNDRA.

- , Salem, WV, USA

Jan 112007

F-150 5.4L V8

Very disappointed with this issue! Only 51K miles on my vehicle, out of warranty and stuck with this kind of repair bill!

This is a known problem with Ford Motor Company, as they have even issues a TSB on the problem (# 05-23-3, issued November 28, 2005) entitled "Drivetrain - Rear Differential Whine/Hum Noise". Ford has even put together a kit of parts needed to fix this problem (P/N's 5L3Z-4209-A through F). If anyone else on this website has had to repair their Ford truck for similar reasons, I would like to hear from you. Please contact me using the comment link below with details.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada