2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 092015

I purchased my 2005 Ford F-150 right out of the show in 2005 and first began have jerking issues 6 month later a mechanic then told me that it was related to the fuel injectors. Since that time I had to replace the transmission twice in 2008, a timing chain and bent rods in 2014 and currently another timing bent rods and debri from the oil pan. All caused from the initial faulty fuel injector issues continuing from less than one year after the original purchase in 2005. I've sent over $9500 in mechanic cost to date.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Mar 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Jul 062013

Spark plug blew out of the engine causing damage and requiring engine replacement.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

May 232015

Driving on interstate doing 70 mph (in fast lane) when truck stopped/stalled and I guess from research went into "limp mode". I was unable to press the gas pedal, it just shook three times each of which slowed it down incredibly, the check engine light was on and a wrench showed up, but the radio still worked. While trying to pull over almost wrecked (memorial day weekend and I was in fast lane). Finally able to pull over to side of road hysterical, shut off and waited a minute and it started. Drove rest of way home miles* with check engine light on and ABS light on. I am scared to death to drive again. Not fun having a vehicle stall/quit whatever on interstate in rush hour traffic.

- Baxter, TN, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated before rapidly accelerating without warning. The failure persisted and would cause the engine to misfire. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the spark plug, ignition coil, and the number five coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Apr 192015

Upon starting my car that morning it backfired and white smoke exited from the exhaust which it has never done before. Once idling I put the truck in reverse with my foot on the brake and my truck rolled down the driveway. I had to depress my brakes with significant force to get it to stop. Upon checking the engine later there is no vacuum detected at the power brake assist. There is a recall on other Ford trucks of this year and model with the same issues that mine was exhibiting. Upon calling Ford they said that my VIN # was not associated with this recall. Go figure!

- Amelia, OH, USA

Mar 262015

This engine is prone to engine failure due to cam phasers on 5.4 motor on a Ford F150 cam phasers resulting in engine failure with the 5.4 motor ##

- Bowie, MD, USA

Mar 092015

Spark plugs blowing out

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would shake and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Mar 022015

2005 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle tune-up issues. The consumer stated no one can tell him the estimated cost of a tune-up because the spark plugs can break off when being removed and can cost several hundred or even thousands if the cylinder head has to be removed to deal with the broken plug(s).

- Greenleaf, WI, USA

Jul 312014

Exhaust manifold on the Ford' 5.4L engine apparently were not engineered correctly. I have heard of many that have leaked and had to be replaced. I worry about the possibility of fire. I have contacted Ford Motor Co. Multiple times however they declined any help with there replacement on my truck. It seems to be a very common problem from what I've heard and see online. Should Ford have a recall on these manifolds?

- Butte, MT, USA

Feb 102015

We have had our 2005 F-150 king ranch for about 10 years now. Today (Feb 10,2015), my wife and our one year babe were heading to the post office the truck displayed a message reading "engine failsafe mode". the truck lost all power, no steering, and it stall on the highway going about 65 mph. Luckily, she said there were vehicles behind her and she pulled it over with no steering and the engine dead. My wife then sat on the highway for about 10 minutes and tried to start the vehicle, which started and there were no "engine failsafe mode" on display anymore. Know with-in the last year our truck has had the check engine light and the ABS light has come on and off every other month. I have checked the fuses and had replace a few but at time it is not the fuse. I've had the interior dim in and out and at times it does not work at all. By reading the F150.net forum found out the a wire that splits into two wires was corroded on the passenger side floor board, it seems that condensation or water come in and stays in that pocket were that wiring harness goes thru. I am now terrified that truck will shut off on the highway again with my family and I in it. This seems to be a life threating problem. I have read thru some forums and it seems that people have called the Ford dealership and the service department claimed they have never heard of this problem, but can work on it if they bring it in. But that Ford claim that they fix the problem and the people says that the problem still exist. Hope some one can help or assist us in fixing this issue not just for our family but for others too. Sincerely airborne paratrooper! aatw!

- Sanford, NC, USA

Nov 142014

Bought a 2005 F150 Triton V8 5.4L new in 2005. I have now experienced a cam phase problem which will cost appx 2500 to repair. Talking to my mechanic he said that it was no promise to fix the issue, because theese motors are known for this issue. Was told it would be easier to put another motor in so I wouldn't haft to worry about, if it would fix the problem. My brother has a 2008 Ford with the same motor and had the same problem, but his motor after having the cam phaser's replaced blew up and had to replace the motor. After reserching and talking to several ase qualified mechanics they all said that theres an issue with the 5.4 liter Triton motor. Upon calling Ford Motor Company as I well figured would happen they said that they would'nt help with the cost and that there was nor recall. Consumers should be able to get more than 100,000 miles out of a vehicle they buy. If Ford wants to keep customers happy they should adress theproblem and the goverment should be mor vigalant in assuring the consumer is protected from companies whose produt dosen;T meet standards. I would like to see the goverment to look at all complaints through a survey on this motor to find a solution for the consumer.

- Pickrell, NE, USA

Dec 182014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the engine misfire and the check engine warning light illuminated. The problem recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the spark plug was fractured and that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jan 152015

Spark plug blew out of head.

- Friendsville, TN, USA

Mar 142011

2005 F150 goes into "fail safe mode" and shuts down while driving. It only occurred once per year starting at 65,000 miles, but now happens every 3-4 weeks at 114,000 miles. Once the engine shuts down, I put the transmission into neutral while coasting and it restarts easily. The engine light illuminates for 3-4 days and then turns off. In researching the issue, it seems to be a rather common problem with this vehicle and is usually caused by a faulty throttle body. Ford states that they are aware of the problem.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jan 122015

I own the above mention vehicle, there was no disclosure to me at the time of purchase of a very serious design flaw with the spark plugs that could and likley will break off in the engine during replacement and the extreme cost in changing these plugs around 900 to 1000 dollars if no plugs break off and even more in the plugs do break off or heads have to removeed to extract the plugs even worse pieces of prshell could fall into the engine cycndler and cause engine damage to around 8000 dollars now that I aware of the extreme cost 3 or 4 times the amount for routine maintence of changeing spark plugs in these Ford vehicles Ford is no help at all saying its not a safety issue I cant help it the design flaw with these long 2 piece plugs is so serious and the price gougeing of the consumer for the cost to change spark plugs is so exspenive and so bad I strongley feel that the federal gov should step inno the matter and help the consumers out and not allow Ford to get by with this extreme bad design flaw and the outragious cost they are chargeing and the fed gov should force Ford to recall all affected vehicles and mandate that Ford eat the cost of changeing these sark plugs and put in the newly develpoed plugs that are not prone to become seized to the engine and Ford shall do so at no cost to the consumer safety or not it is just unbeleivable they can get by with such a serious design flaw with such a high expence to the consumer for something that is surposed to be routine

- Eden, NC, USA

Nov 212014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled and the engine failure system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted after multiple attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Aurora, NY, USA

Nov 032014

Over the past 5 years I have had my truck go into fail safe mode. My truck will flash fail safe and I will lose all power to the vehicle. I'm able to coast to a stop. I have been able to re start my vehicle and continue driving.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 242014

Front end collision into the rear of another truck. Whole front end damaged through radiator, hood, headlights, bumpers etc. Airbag never deployed and upon return of vehicle after repairs, I am now getting a code 42 that the sensor is bad and after research find out there is a recall on this but for the opposite reason but also now understand there are corrosion issues with the connection of the sensor also. Hope this helps. Please advise what to do, will Ford fix this whole problem and replace with a new sensor and the wire chaffing problem? thank you in advance!

- Las Vegas , NV, USA