1.7

hardy worth mentioning

2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152010

F-150

The 5.4L engine installed in the Ford F150 has nothing but a bad reputation for costing consumers thousands and never being able to fully fix the issue without replacing the entire engine. The vehicle cuts out of power, shakes vigorously, misfires and is dangerous on highways, hills, or any roadway for that matter. Our personal experience almost got us rear ended by a semi truck with our children in the vehicle because we could not get it to move without losing power and shaking and jerking! there have been several thousand complaints filed on this engine I'm sure, judging by the forums, websites, car complaint sites etc. Meanwhile, we took our truck into a Ford dealership and were told that they get hundreds of people who bring these vehicles in and spend thousands to replace the cam phasers just to have the same issue the next month! by the time you are able to fix the problem you've put out more money than the vehicle is worth at that point! get these engines recalled and get them off the roads. They're unsafe for drivers, families and others on the roadways!

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 012007

F-150

First off I want to say that I work for Ford and I am very disappointed that the first of the two issue I have hasn't been recalled and I'm not 100% sure about the dates that these problems occurred on. My truck has sounded like it has a diesel engine in it since I bought it brad new in 2005 and after talking to some guys at work I find out that it is caused by cam phasers that are in the 2004-07 5.4litre engines and if these fail you have to get a new motor which I was told just a couple of months ago would be $8900 which is absolutely crazy. If you look them up online you will see that this is a huge and costly problem. My second issue is I have had my rearend rebuilt twice since I have owned this vehicle. The first time was before it was out of it 36,000 mile factory warranty, the second time was before it was out of the 100,000 extended warranty that I purchased so luckily those two times did not cost me anything but now it needs it again and the mechanic tell me it could cost $5000 so with the motor issue and the rearend issue I could possibly spend $14,000 in repairs which again is crazy when you spent close to $50,000 on the vehicle to begin with.

- Independence, MO, USA

Nov 152013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while idling at a light, he heard a knocking noise from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the cam phasers and lifters needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 282014

F-150

I purchases a used 2005 Ford F150 about 5 months ago. Today, Feb 28, 2014, I was leaving my neighborhood and my trucks display flashed an message reading "engine failsafe mode". my truck lost all power, no steering and died. Luckily I was on surface streets and pulled it over with no power steering and engine dead. The mechanics cannot find the cause and the engine will start but continues to turn off and the vehicle's computer shuts down. Online I read of this happening on the freeway at 65 mph. Iam now terrified that my truck will shut off on the freeway with my children in the truck with me. This seems to be a life threatening problem. I called a Ford dealership and the service dept claimed they never heard of this but can work on it if I bring it in. What is my recourse? thank you.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 182013

F-150

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road to restart it. Once restarted, the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but was unable to provide a remedy. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Williamsville, IL, USA

Jan 152014

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving to town when engine started making a sound like a large compressor, stopped truck, could feel air coming from the top of the head by intake manifold, took to a garage where I was informed that the plug came out of the #2 cylinder and busted the coil pak. I know this has happened to many F150 truck owners, I know of 3 locally, and have found many more complaints with the same problem. Ford should recall, this problem.

- Lexa, AR, USA

Apr 162013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle would sound as if it was equipped with a diesel engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the spark plugs, coils, pulley and serpentine belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the remedy failed to correct the failure. The dealer then stated that the camshaft phaser was defective and as a result, the engine would possibly need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 120,000. Updated 02/11/14

- Franklin, MA, USA

Oct 162012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a loud knocking sound coming from the motor. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 215,000. Updated 1/14/14

- Story City, IA, USA

Nov 132012

F-150 8-cyl

After the truck passed 76000 I started to notice a tick/knock in the engine. I brought it to Ford and they told me this was normal noise for these engines, to me this was no normal. Now the tick/knock/rattle has become worse and I have been told by Ford I would need a new engine. This is a very very common situation with the 2004-2008 5.4L 3V engines. What us Ford owners would like is a recall on the cam phasers and vct solenoids. Ford has redesigned both of these parts so they know this was causing big issues with owners of the mentioned make/model/year Ford. I do not know how a company, an american company, can get away with selling vehicles where the internal parts of the engine, and american made engine, go faulty before the odometer hit's 100,000 miles. There are normal wear and tear replaceable parts on every car, but when internal engine components fail with a vehicle that is just 7 years old that is not acceptable!

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Sep 282013

F-150 8-cyl

This would be the second time a spark plug has popped out of the engine on my 2005 Ford F-150 with the 4.6 liter V8 engine it. The first spark plug popped out in August 2011 and now it has happened again in September 2013. I have heard that I am not the only person this is happened to. This seems to be a recurring problem in not only the 4.6 liter V-8 but the 5.4 liter V-8 and the 6.8 liter V-10. With this problem happening over and over again why hasn't Ford done anything about it. Fordproblems.com suggests that Ford insists the problem is due to improper torquing of new plugs or any number of other reasons. However many people have had the original factory spark plugs eject from the engine, which indicates there is a defect with the engine & cylinder head design. The repair is relatively easy - do not be fooled by a dealer offering to repair the issue for $700 or more. An inexpensive helicoil kit will do the trick. Also, we do not recommend simply re-tapping the spark plug threads because the threads are probably too damaged already & the spark plug may just blow out again causing more damage. Spark plug ejection is dangerous because fuel vapor starts coming out the spark plug hole, which is clearly a serious safety issue. The fuel vapor can be ignited by the loose spark plug and in fact there have been a small number of cases reported of engine fires due to spark plug ejection/blowout. I as well as other Ford owners would like the NHTSA to look into and force a recall order to Ford Motor Company to get these issue fixed, repair, and remembers all affected by this issue.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Aug 132013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Aug 152013

F-150 8-cyl

I took my vehicle in for a service engine light issue. I was told I need new spark plugs. The issue is hundreds of 2004 -2008 Ford F-150 5.4 liter engine have faulty spark plugs that break off in the head creating additional expense. The prices are between 500- 1000 to change out spark plugs. The faulty design of the plugs created this issue and Ford had not addressed this problem. Please, research this issue and help consumers with this problem. Lisle designed a tool to extract the broken plugs model # 65600 it is for the years 2004-2008 Ford 5.4 liter engines. Many dealers are aware of this problem and just charge additional monies to the customer because of faulity part design. Please, help.

- Anthem, AZ, USA

Feb 092012

F-150

When you accelerate at 40 to 50mph the engine struggles to pick up speed like it is not getting fuel. It has also stalled several times at various speeds causing me to put it in neutral while still rolling, or come to a stop, turn the key completely off and then restart.took the vehicle to the Ford dealer and to be told it was the cam phasers which will cost about $2,900 to fix were the problem. He also said the worst decision Ford ever made was using the 5.4 Triton V8 from 2005-2008. You would think if a manager of a Ford mechanic shop tells you this, I am not the only one having this problem. It also has a constant ticking noise in the engine which I was told is the tensioner for the timing chain. The truck currently has 138,000 miles.

- Bay St. Louis, MS, USA

Jul 022013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 20 mph and decelerating, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the engine had failed. The timing chain, and oil pump were replaced but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 175,412. Updated 12/23/13

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jun 102013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate in a jerking motion. There was no prior warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that one spark plug fractured. An appointment was scheduled for the vehicle to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 128,542.

- Southeast Lacey, WA, USA

May 102006

F-150 8-cyl

Constant ticking noise from engine, sounds like a diesel engine, remains ticking the entire time./ when applying brakes either on a hard stop or rolling over traction in road, grinding feeling in pedal and noise and will not stop immediately.-----was told by dealership that the "ticking" was typical for Ford and the brakes was part of the antilock system, I do not think so.

- Cherry Valley, CA, USA

Feb 122013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F150. The contact stated that he heard a ticking sound from the engine that caused the vehicle to exhibit an abnormal sound, similar to brewing coffee. The contact performed online research and determined that the failure was caused by the cam phasers. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 34,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 072013

F-150 8-cyl

2005ford F-150 4.6 Triton V8 spark plug ejected blowing out coil while driving. This resulting in a stripped head and needing to replace the engine. With research on the web seems this is a common problem with this model engine with many complaints that Ford will not acknowledge.

- Nederland, TX, USA

Jan 312013

F-150

Spark plug blew out of head. Called Ford no recall. Can see why so many SUV, trucks, ect. Have this problem. Ford should have paid. Went truck shopping got a new Dodge.

- Glen Lyon, PA, USA

Jan 022006

F-150

The coil packs and plugs have been changed on different times and the vehicle still has the same problems. Ford has to find a better solution to fix these ongoing issues so the customer does not have to keep paying all this money for the same problems over and over again. Engine lost power on several occasions and shakes when idling. Paint on front of vehicle started peeling off. All service work has been conducted a T a Ford dealership since the vehicle was purchased except for today with (2) more coil packs had to be installed at a local garage. This is apparently a big problem and something has to be done about it or Ford will find good customers going to other vehicle brands.

- Saxe, VA, USA