2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 032016

F-150

While driving 75 on a toll road the engine went into engine fail safe mode, I lost all power and almost wrecked into oncoming traffic trying to get to the shoulder, I went to a mechanic and they replaced the throttle body, 3 days later same thing, I was told this is a common problem on this motor 5.4, why is there not a recall on this ??

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 242016

F-150

5.4 3V Triton. When the truck is at idle at a normal operating temp, it has a horrible knocking noise on the passenger side of the engine. From what I am reading this engine has major problems with the cam phasers and timing components. It sounds like the timing chain is about to fly out of the engine. I hope my truck doesn't give out on me because this is my only transportation to work and cannot afford to have it fixed. I bought a Ford for reliability, but until this is fixed I feel it's unreliable. I have used a full syn oil and the right motorcraft 820S filter. This is a major problem and Ford needs to pay for this and everyone else who has had this problem over and over! recall this Ford!

- Lutz, FL, USA

May 302016

F-150

Truck began ticking very loudly, then began a knocking noise, and now the engine shakes the truck when idling. Cam phasers broke apart causing damage to the timing chain. Sudden loss of power to the engine as well as inability to maintain speed while ascending an incline is frequent. The loss of speed and power has caused us several close-call accidents. Truck will simply not accelerate while pressing the gas pedal. Additionally, it also feels like the truck cannot catch gears while in motion.

- Quantico, VA, USA

May 062016

F-150

I was driving through the country, and something felt odd. At approximately 45 mph, the truck started to shake, (more than normal) and was then vanish after 55 mph. After the next few days, the shaking got worse. My first thought, "I have a misfire on one of my cylinders". on my way home from work my truck through a check engine light. I then proceeded to take it to my dealer because at this point it would barely go over 40 mph. They checked the code and turns out that the truck has a number of problems; that what I have seen on this website are a very common issue with this year and engine type (5.4L V8 tritton). I need new vct solenoids, new camphasers, timing adjustments, and new cam shaft position sensors. To make a long story short, the common problem that happens to this engine, happened yet again. Bad cam phasers. Happened around 138,4xx miles. Not sure if any previous owner replaced this part before or not. But, it seems even if replaced, the problem will still persist in the future. This is in need of recall.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Apr 162013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The stated while driving, there was an abnormal knocking noise coming from the engine. The contact stated he drove the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cam phaser, the bearing and the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was backfiring. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Dec 232015

F-150

I drive a 2005 5.4 Triton and after 110000 miles the engine has died. The mechanic states its the cam phaser and I've seen several websites complaining the same issue.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 252016

F-150

Purchased my vehicle used at the dealership with 85,000. Which is typically a good break-in point for a truck. Well after having the vehicle home for less than a month I've noticed a ticking in the engine. A ticking that I knew little about until further research into these vehicles. Seems that along with thousands of other people in the world I've purchased a Ford lemon. The engines rarely make it past 75,000-100,000. Ford as a whole are aware of this issue and deliberately find ways around having to take the liability on. The only solution to the ticking is 1,500 in repairs of the cam phaser, which in a timely manner melts like butter or replace it with a remanufactured engine only to encounter the same issue. Whether or not this vehicle is over 10 years old this is an issue that needs to be addressed. An engine should be able to last more than 100,000 miles. I have driven this vehicle less than 500 miles and the problem is evident.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Mar 162016

F-150

My truck has a known issue with the 5.4L's cam phasers. The truck makes a very loud noise and shakes. To repair this, it's around $3,000 and also I have a known issue with all 8 coils which had to be replaced for $1,200 and a known misfire. I do not understand why Ford motor is aware of the ongoing issues in this year truck and has not done anything about it. Also if the cam phasers are not replaced the engine will blow!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 202012

F-150

Engine started ticking ended up being cam phasers and needed new motor Ford knows its a well known problem but refuses to stand behind their products.was told it was normal engine wear which I find hard to believe at 100,000miles with recommended maintenance done to vehicle class action lawsuit would be the best for all involved when it comes to this product 7000 dollars to replace motor.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Mar 022016

F-150

Known issue with fuel injectors caused premature engine failure at 45K mi. Too much fuel when compressed and ignited blew the piston apart. Ford replaced engine. 80K miles later similar problems and recommendation is another engine. Two 5.4L engines with less than 130K overall miles is absolutely unacceptable. Web searches say there is current litigation in progress over these 5.4L engines. I'm making a formal complaint that the basis of the lawsuit has merit. Ford has already settled a suit over the spark plugs for these 5.4L but the problems with these engines goes much deeper. I'm thankful my engine failures happened without any additional incident.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 222016

F-150

F-150 began with a ticking noise and turned into a loud knocking noise, vehicle looses power or completely shuts off while driving. Replaced coil packs, and spark plugs (one broke off due to horrible design). Basically, had to take apart the entire engine replacing several parts to still not have a drivable vehicle. Mechanic just informed me there is nothing else to do but replace the entire engine. Thank you Ford I owe about $8000 on this pos. I have already sunk $1200 into the vehicle and will now be looking at over $5000 to replace the engine.

- Citronelle, AL, USA

Feb 142016

F-150

The phasers and tuners are shot internal engine damage it started to make noise while moving

- Blountville, TN, USA

Jul 152015

F-150

I purchased my 2005 F150 with a 5.4L trinitron engine used in 2010. I completed all regular scheduled maintenance using the recommended products, most of it done in Ford dealerships. This 5.4L engine is a poor design and should be recalled. It has numerous problems. I had a safety inspection done at a Ford dealership and it passed even though it had a ticking sound in the engine and I had hesitation and loss of power. Replace spark plugs, I had already replaced the transmission at 98,000 miles! this engine is a piece of junk! Ford needs to stand behind its' "built Ford tough" trucks and make this right. I cant enjoy my truck!!!

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jan 252016

F-150

I purchased my 2005 F150 with a 5.4L trinitron engine new in 2005. I completed all regular scheduled maintenance using the recommended products, most of it done in Ford dealerships. This 5.4L engine is a poor design and should be recalled. It has numerous problems. I had a safety inspection done at a Ford dealership and it passed even though it had a ticking sound in the engine and I had hesitation and loss of power. At that point, I had already replaced the transmission at 62,000 miles! now at 105,000 miles the plastic camphasers broke apart, the timing chain broke and the engine is blown!! that is unacceptable for a Ford truck to last that long and have that many problems. This engine is a piece of junk! Ford needs to stand behind its' "built Ford tough" trucks and make this right. I'll never buy another Ford.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 042015

F-150

The truck has a ticking sound inside the engine. I have had that noise since I bough it. 3 years ago I had it checked out at a Ford dealership and they said it was normal. This year on November 4, I took it again to the Ford dealership and they found the problem. Its a bent rod. The problem is that the extended warranty that I have will not cover itunless the know the cause of it. So Ford is saying its a defected part. Insurance wont cover it and they want me to pay thousands of dollars to repair it!! if its a defected part, don't you think Ford should pay!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 012015

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle lunged forward without warning. The contact stated that when the vehicle was idle, there was a ticking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle consumed excessive oil at an accelerated rate and the vehicle needed an oil change. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 144,500.

- Mansfield, LA, USA

Nov 072015

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving at 70 mph, the vehicle shook. While making a right turn into a parking lot, the vehicle crashed into a median and a curb. The contact sustained injuries to the shoulder, neck, and back, which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. No police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 93,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 232015

F-150

Spark plugs are impossible to be removed/replaced. Went to mechanic to be removed/replaced and was extremely expensive. Must be some defect on Ford's part.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 192015

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving, there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine area and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also indicated that while idle, the vehicle would shake and rattle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine solenoid failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Canton, OH, USA

Oct 202015

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle shook and stalled. The contact restarted the vehicle and was able to drive. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the oil pump was not supplying oil to the top of the engine and the engine would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,200. Updated 1/12/16

- Wantagh, NY, USA