2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 212014

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled and the engine failure system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted after multiple attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Aurora, NY, USA

Nov 032014

F-150

Over the past 5 years I have had my truck go into fail safe mode. My truck will flash fail safe and I will lose all power to the vehicle. I'm able to coast to a stop. I have been able to re start my vehicle and continue driving.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 242014

F-150

Front end collision into the rear of another truck. Whole front end damaged through radiator, hood, headlights, bumpers etc. Airbag never deployed and upon return of vehicle after repairs, I am now getting a code 42 that the sensor is bad and after research find out there is a recall on this but for the opposite reason but also now understand there are corrosion issues with the connection of the sensor also. Hope this helps. Please advise what to do, will Ford fix this whole problem and replace with a new sensor and the wire chaffing problem? thank you in advance!

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Apr 302010

F-150

I have owned my Ford truck for almost 8 years and I have experienced nothing but bad luck with this engine and me and other Ford owners agree that this engine is 1 of the worst engines that Ford has produced and they know it.and are reluctant to do anything about it.and its costing me thousands to replace spark plugs and camphasers.my truck now will stall when put in reverse.it also has a loud ticking noise to it. I know its the camphasers again which I already replace about 4 years ago.this truck is costing me more than its worth.I only have 85000 miles on it.Ford needs to do something about this problem.me and other Ford owners of this model cant keep slamming money into something that is a complete failure from the start.this truck is dangerous and the problem needs solved.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Jul 072010

F-150

Truck shakes vigorously at speeds over 55mph, cannot excel in fast oncoming traffic with children in vehicle! engine cuts out and jerks the whole vehicle. Misfiring. Continuously having to get towing because the vehicle fails to start all together! this could lead to injury, death, accidents not only for the driver/passengers but others on the roads as well. This issue has been brought to attention in the Ford F-150 5.4L engine more than several hundred times and no action has been taken. You can find information all over of people having the same issues, the Ford dealership I took it to told me I would need a new engine or to spend thousands to fix it and they see people back in there within the month of spending grands to fix it. Something needs done about this before people end up dying in these vehicles

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 202014

F-150

The 5.4 liter engines have a design problem that's costing owners a lot of money just to replace the spark plugs. The plugs are twisting off or breaking because the block design allows the plug to extend into a hole that allows carbon buildup around the tip of the plug. When you try to remove the spark plug the bottom of the plug is sealed tight to the head therefore allowing the top of the plug to twist and not the bottom. This is happening to a lot of truck owners and some dealers won't even attempt to replace the plugs. If one breaks, it could cost up to $2000 for the repairs. I have 4 of them broke off. I have ordered the extractor kit but the back two cylinders are going to be hard to repair. I like my Ford truck but since the earlier model Ford were blowing plugs out of the blocks and now we can't get them out without an extractor, to me this is not good engineering. I would like to know what Ford is doing about this extreme cost to its customers. Thank you, randy

- Utica, OH, USA

Sep 032014

F-150

We bought this vehicle new in 2005. Change oil as required and did regular services. Engine started knocking and running rough. Took to dealer who stated cam phasers went out which in turn blew the engine. Dealer states new engine is required on a 9-year old vehicle with less then 140,000. Dealer states cam phasers are very common problem in this engine (5.4L trinitron). Calls to numerous other local Ford dealers reveal numerous engine repairs due to cam phasers in the engine internet research find numerous issues with the cam phasers in this engine causing complete engine failure. Ford refuses to acknowledge the problem. Dealer quote to replace the engine on a 9-year old vehicle was $7150.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 152014

F-150

The vehicle began to smell like raw fuel, particularly at stop signs or intersections. The smell appeared to be coming from the engine bay. Upon disassembly of the intake components of the engine to expose the fuel injection system, it was evident that the fuel rail had begun leaking raw fuel inside the engine bay. The fuel rail developed a speck of corrosion about 2-3mm in diameter on the top surface of the rail. The corrosion evidently penetrated the entire rail and became a pinhole leak. Raw fuel was seen leaking up and out of the pinhole. This happened on the passenger side fuel rail, which is positioned inches away from the high voltage coil pack, and above the exhaust manifold as well. Called Ford customer service hotline and was told there is no recall for it, no extended warranty program, no assistance whatsoever. Ordered a new fuel rail through local Ford dealer for $500 dollars (4 times what a typical fuel rail costs); part has not been shipped, dealer unsure if Ford has any in stock or is even making the part. Truck has been inoperable for over a week with no way to fix it.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Aug 052014

F-150

The number 3 spark plug blew loose. The first time it happened it was just started and idling. It got fixed with a repair kit and then it happened again the next week. It wouldn't be a huge concern but there are multiple things that could happen and cause serious injury and or a fatality.

- Marion, IL, USA

Jul 312014

F-150

Truck went into "limp" mode on start up. Very difficult to get home in traffic. "fix" was new throttle body from flecther Ford. $582.38. Seems to be an ongoing problem with Ford

- Joplin, MO, USA

Aug 012014

F-150

At 58,000 miles engine malfunction due to a broken valve spring. At 101,879 mile started to make a loud rattling at startup and subsided until the engine was warmed up. This continued until I reached 273,000 miles and the engine just stopped due to oil starvation and cam phaser failures. Oil was changed as required through out ownership.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

May 122011

F-150

While at idle my engine started to tick, so I took it to the mechanic and he told me I had a bad lash adjuster, and it was very common for this to happen with the 5,4L 3valve engine, so I went online to see if I could find any info about my issue and it seams that thousand of people are having the same issue, and how Ford will not recall the motors for repair of a major defect to that type of engine, the mechanic told me to drive it until it dies, because the cost will be the same to repair or replace the engine, powertrain.com sells the upgraded engine which corrects the three major issues with this engine, which are, lash adjusters, cam phasers, and the spark plug treads stripping out of the heads, why has Ford been able to hide this for so long.

- Crownsville, MD, USA

Mar 012013

F-150

I was traveling South coming to a intersection when a vehicle traveling North and decided to turn and hit me! he was travel 50 mph. The driver received 2 tickets at crash site also 1 ticket 3 minute before crash. I almost drove 1/3 into his car. No air bag went off in my vehicle. My hips have been hurting ever since crash. Allstate forced me to settle them. I believe if airbag went off my hips would be fine! X-rays show them 1" out of aliment and I need to continually see a chiropractor

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jun 022014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to engine fail safe mode malfunctions causes vehicle to lose all power, brakes and steering. Consumer has different vehicle complaint in artemis. The dealer investigated the complaint, but was unable to identify the cause.

- Linden, NJ, USA

May 292014

F-150 8-cyl

5.4L truck always maintained and serviced at Ford dealerships. It was running perfect until it immediately began idling rough at a stop. No check engine light, we just know our truck. Took it in for a tune-up (replaced spark plugs, etc.) and oil change. Perfect bill of health - couldn't replicate problem. Engine checked out diagnostically- perfect. They suggested it could be an intermittent sticking fuel injector, so we were going to get an additive to add to the fuel tank. Didn't make it that far. Drove it home - 35 miles - got home and engine stalled in driveway. Turned back on, engine died again. Long story short - towed it back to Ford - they were able to replicate the problem - oil pressure drops suddenly (intermittently)- pointing to cam phaser, timing area of engine - end result - need new engine - this one is shot at only 68K miles - estimated cost $7,400 plus tax. Extended warranty expired. Did some internet research, appears to be a common problem. These 5.4L engines are breaking down left and right in these trucks. Don't know what changed. Had a 1999 Expedition with a 5.4L - great vehicle. Contacted Ford customer care - was told to keep all receipts in the event of a recall. An engine should not blow at 68K miles, especially a built Ford tough engine. We've owned Ford since high school and they used to be reliable, long driving vehicles.

- Henry, IL, USA

May 082014

F-150 8-cyl

I bought a 2005 Ford F 150 used not knowing about the engine and rear end problems until I heard the rattle coming from under the hood so I go ask dealer about this problem he said this type engine was from Ford was not good lucky for me they were repairing one it had blown a spark plug out and they were replace parts for the cam he said get rid of the truck or run it till it blows up it has no power it stalls in the most bad places I am afraid I am going to have a wreck and hurt some one Ford needs to recall these engine and fix the rear end problem also I don't have 5 to 8 grand to fix it.

- Union City , TN, USA

Apr 052014

F-150 6-cyl

I had just changed the oil and checked the fluids and had to run some errands up town about a mile and a half up the road the engine started making a knocking noise, I was close enough to the garage I use so I pulled in there to see what was going on the oil pan was on fire oil and what looked like anti freeze was coming out of a hole from what use to be the oil pan or what was left of the pan, the fellow that ran the station told me it had hydro locked and bent a rod and pushed it thru the oil pan, he went on to say he had seen several of the 4.2 do this and it looked like Ford would have done something when they were aware of the problems with the 4.2, I talked to Ford about it and got the run around from them, just couldn't believe it I had never pulled or hauled any heavy objects or mistreated it in any way, don't understand when the powers that be were aware of the problem with this engine the consumer was left holding the bag to a tune of thousands of dollars in repairs, now got to do with out to try and save the money to get it fixed, mostly used the truck to get my wife back and forth to the dr. She has M/S and a heart condition, the poor always catch it if there was anything to Ford they would make it good and the same goes for the NHTSA they know the problem is there just look at the Ford forms, but god always makes a way just have to wait and see what his plan are, alot of folks like us have no family so we take care of or trucks, it sure wasn't abuse that cause the problem.

- Larinburg, NC, USA

Nov 152010

F-150 8-cyl

The 5.4L engine installed in the Ford F150 has nothing but a bad reputation for costing consumers thousands and never being able to fully fix the issue without replacing the entire engine. The vehicle cuts out of power, shakes vigorously, misfires and is dangerous on highways, hills, or any roadway for that matter. Our personal experience almost got us rear ended by a semi truck with our children in the vehicle because we could not get it to move without losing power and shaking and jerking! there have been several thousand complaints filed on this engine I'm sure, judging by the forums, websites, car complaint sites etc. Meanwhile, we took our truck into a Ford dealership and were told that they get hundreds of people who bring these vehicles in and spend thousands to replace the cam phasers just to have the same issue the next month! by the time you are able to fix the problem you've put out more money than the vehicle is worth at that point! get these engines recalled and get them off the roads. They're unsafe for drivers, families and others on the roadways!

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 012007

F-150 8-cyl

First off I want to say that I work for Ford and I am very disappointed that the first of the two issue I have hasn't been recalled and I'm not 100% sure about the dates that these problems occurred on. My truck has sounded like it has a diesel engine in it since I bought it brad new in 2005 and after talking to some guys at work I find out that it is caused by cam phasers that are in the 2004-07 5.4litre engines and if these fail you have to get a new motor which I was told just a couple of months ago would be $8900 which is absolutely crazy. If you look them up online you will see that this is a huge and costly problem. My second issue is I have had my rearend rebuilt twice since I have owned this vehicle. The first time was before it was out of it 36,000 mile factory warranty, the second time was before it was out of the 100,000 extended warranty that I purchased so luckily those two times did not cost me anything but now it needs it again and the mechanic tell me it could cost $5000 so with the motor issue and the rearend issue I could possibly spend $14,000 in repairs which again is crazy when you spent close to $50,000 on the vehicle to begin with.

- Independence, MO, USA

Nov 152013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while idling at a light, he heard a knocking noise from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the cam phasers and lifters needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mobile, AL, USA