7.8

$4,382.00

2. replace defective cam phaser before it blows out motor (17 reports)
  3. replace engine (16 reports)
2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 012013

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L V8

This is another thing that shouldn't go wrong with car. Or if it does, there should be a recall. Pisses me off. My mechanic quoted me $1800+ to repair it.

- , Seville, OH, USA

Jun 132009

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I've been putting up with this annoying ticking sound for about 80K miles. All of the 2005 5.4's that I have seen have this cam phaser problem. One friend said his truck just up and kicked the bucket one day about 4 hours from home. The most annoying part is pulling up to a fast food window and you can't here the clerk speaking over the friggn ticking echoing off the brick building. Ford knows about this and won't do a thing about it. Buying a Dodge from now on.

- , Pinckney, MI, USA

Jun 082016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Hello, I am really upset with FORD because I am not the only persone who have had this problem with their F150. When I start the engine it became a knocking noise, really loud like the one in the video. my car only has 94,000 miles so it shouldnt be a reason to sound like that. I have always give the proper maintanance to my F 150, so I believe it is a problem with the factory. thanks in advance.

- , Calexico, CA, USA

Jul 092015

F-150 5.4L

I have try to fix my 2005 f150 for all most a year how . I have taken it too 2 ford dealer and I'm getting different store from both. The first ford dealership was right here in yuba city ca. The first day they told me I needed a new motor. On day 2 they call me and told me I needed cams at the end of day 2 I call them and they told me that it might be the Vct solenoid. Now this is a dealership that I have had problems with fixing my truck before. Now I have someone take my truck to a dealership in Sacramento ca. And they had it for 3/4 of the day and they tell me that 1 and 7 cylinder coil pack or bad ? Now just 2 week before I had put new spark and coil pack . So I replace the 2 cylinder . I had a auto machine tell me that it is my transmission switch solenoid , so this week I took it in to have it checked &I have had many other auto machine tell me different thing from cam chain guide etc. can someone please tell me or tell me a good mechanic to fix my truck

- , Yuba City, CA, USA

Nov 112015

F-150 5.4L

I bought this truck used at 166,000. I've had ford trucks in the past that exceeded 300,000 miles, so when I bought this I had no doubt it would too. Couple months go by and I have this knocking noise from the passenger side of the engine. Only does it when the engine is at normal operating temp. I did some research and it seems like this is major problem with the 5.4 Triton 3V in 2004 and 2005. This truck runs good and has plenty of power but it sounds horrible like a ratted out school bus. Sounds like slack in the timing chain or the cam phaser is shot. How does a built ford tough truck need major engine work at 166,000 miles?!?! They were all highway miles from the previous owner. I'm reading about people who had this problem at way lower mileage. How is this not recalled??! With the amount of money to get it fixed I might as well replace the whole engine cause the rest of the truck still looks new.I hope Ford reads this and everybody else's complaints on this so we can get this recalled finally. Wish me luck to not get stranded in a beautiful truck with a terrible engine problem cause I cannot afford to fix it!

- , Lutz, FL, USA

Jan 012012

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

started out a rattle like a lifter clicking. got louder and wen't to dealer for tear down of right valve cover. Mechanic came back with cam cover from rear of head and journals were worn and blue. Said I needed a new head, blamed wrong oil? After new head installed they heard a bottom end knock. The trust bearing was gone and crank was moving back and forth. The metal from cam dropped down and tore it up. New motor at $5700 for rebuilt long block. Told me the cam tensioner pads were worn out also. Since this happened i found out the oil pressure gauge is basically an idiot light as it moves to 40lb and stays there regardless of actual pressure. There was no way I could have known the pressure was down due to this gauge. It takes about 60 to 75K for this to happen. Ford would like this to go away offering no help whatsoever. I am hoping a class action will start but I might be too late. After six months the new motor started rattling at start up after sitting for a few days. It was the cam tensioners bleeding down and the chains rattled till pressure came up. The dealer said it was normal and showed me the door. I wen't down the street and bought a Ram with the Hemi and I am thrilled.

- , Grants Pass, OR, USA

May 272016

F-150 Lariet 5.4L V8

A year after I bought my F150 I had the bottom part of the engine rebuilt. Only part of it was covered under the extended warranty. I have just replaced the transmission, spark plugs, coils and catalytic converter on my 2005 F150 Lariat with the 5.4 Triton motor. All within the last 4 months at a cost of about $6,000. Now there is a ticking noise coming from my engine. My mechanic thinks it is the lifers at a cost of about $5,000.. At this point I have replaced all of the major working parts. I will NEVER purchase another Ford vehicle again.

- , Providence, RI, USA

May 202015

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Well as others have posted, the cam phaser on the 5.4 engine is a real problem that needs addressed. It will start with a little clicking, then gets worse through time, and then it will mess with your timing causing low RPM's and when you are pulling a load it has caused the engine to die. I have spoke with Ford, through e-mail, and they told me to file through here, in order to have anything get done about it. This is such an expensive fix for the consumer, since this is a fault of the Engine. It needs to be addressed. If the phaser messes with the timing, it can cause your engine to stop and could cause an accident. Lets fix this before someone gets hurt .. Also reading tons of complaints on this matter, Ford is , and going to be loosing a lot of business on this. Thanks

- , Bonfield, IL, USA

Jan 272016

F-150 FX4 5.4L Trinitron

I bought this 2005 F150 new in 2005. At 62,000 miles I had to replace the transmission! Today, with 105,000 miles my mechanic gave me the news that I now need a new engine at $7000!!! For 10 years I had the truck serviced at the recommended intervals and used the OEM parts. It first started ticking, then knocking, and now the plastic cam phasers fell apart, the timing chain is broke and little plastic segments are all throughout my engine. I called Ford Motor Co and filed a complaint and was told there is no recall and no warranty. After reading all these similar complaints, it seems like it would be foolish to replace the engine with the same defective engine and have it happen all over again somewhere down the road. I will never buy another Ford product in my life! They don't stand behind their failures at all. Now I have a $15,000 piece of junk!

Update from Jan 28, 2016: Until all of us who have experienced this issue have filed a formal complaint on the National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA) website......Ford will not step up and do anything. They will not respond to this or any internet complaint site.....only if we complain formally on NHTSA in mass, will Ford ever be forced to address the issues. So go file a complaint on NHTSA.

Update from Feb 29, 2016: I just had my truck "fixed" at a Ford dealership. It's now back to the dealership for the 3rd time in a week to get it fixed right! My truck had two major know issues; stuck fuel injectors which blew out the catalytic converters & timing chain/cam phasers. The fuel injector/cat conv. issue was covered under the FMC extended warranty $4500 of work. The timing/phaser issue was on my dime $3600. Still have knocking noise. Headed back to dealership with it.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 092015

F-150 STX 4.6L V8

Trucks ticks very loud and engine shakes truck when idling. It ticks and sounds just like the problem with the 5.4L V8 but when I called ford they said the 4.6L V8 doesn't have that problem, yet here I am with the problem. I can't get it fixed under warranty because it isn't a part of a recall and isn't broken yet, so I just have to deal with it until it actually breaks so it can be replaced under warranty. I'm pretty sure they're just saying that so that it gets pushed back till after the warranty ends so that they make money off me for the fix.

It will also make a hissing sound like water hitting a hot surface when going up an incline on the highway especially while towing. Worries me that it might just freaking blow up soon or something. Just can't wait to get rid or this truck in a few months, worst buy decision I've ever made.

- , South Jordan, UT, USA

Nov 032013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

loud sounds like a diesel. common problem cam phazers 2004-. dont buy ford

- , Leduc, AB, Canada

Jun 162012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Bought my 05 F150 5.4l and the Ford dealership said that it has a stumble due to them washing the engine. I took it back after a week and they said would change the oil if I wanted, but the small stumble and ticking sound was normal. Two years later, it all of a sudden started shaking and knocking but only did it a few times. Now 140,000 miles and several coil packs with no engine light and injector flushes later, I need a motor, and is not drivable due to stumble and sound from the front of my motor. I was told by my mechanic it is the timing chain but he said it is not worth fixing. It took out my top end. Very upset and heart broken over my loss.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 152014

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton 3 valve

I bought my 2005 F150 in August of 2013. 10,000 miles later I started to hear a loud ticking, it eventually got louder and sounded like a diesel. My mechanic changed the cam phasers, then the 2 piece plugs broke during removal, then the individual coils went bad, now the timing chain is slapping and the engine is knocking. I did oil changes by the book and used Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend and the ford oil filter from the dealer as they recommend. I bought this truck from a ford dealer used car lot, now I find out the service dept did something in order to quiet it to sell it. I could never recommend ford after this to my fellow air force vets. Can anyone give me the name of the place in Tucson where I can get a reman 5.4 for 1,800 dollars. Thanks

- , Romeoville, IL, USA

Dec 242014

F-150 LX 5.4L

I just purchased a 2005 F150, in nice shape with 116,000 miles. The lifters are tapping, like they are not getting oil to them! As I look to online blogs, it seems like everyone is complaining about the same issue.. I can't believe that FORD, don't have a "RECALL" on this!! I work at the University of Alabama and know a law professor. I am going to see if he knows someone, who may start a class action lawsuit!

- , Cottondale, AL, USA

Aug 052014

F-150 FX4 5.4L Triton

click to see larger images

loud ticking/knocking noise from motor

Had to use a Chevy to tow the Ford. You know what car I'll buy next.

- , Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 142014

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I purchased an F-150 fx5 with the 5.4 Triton motor.2005 year. The truck does run great but it sounds a little like a diesel. It's kind of annoying,and It just makes me worry!I invested a good deal of $$ in extras on this truck, it is very nice,and actually runs excellent so far.

I have put about 6,000 miles on it,and it still sounds the same. Rattles a little at startup, like the oil isn't getting circulated, but it's only for a second. With all I have seen about the spark plug issues,and the noise being tied to the cam phasers I'm quite concerned I'm gonna have a problem. The truck looks great, has plenty of power, and like I said runs great, but 80% of the time it makes a noise like a diesel. People say, oh, sounds like your lifters are going out, and that's embarrassing. I try to explain that's just how it sounds, which I have heard some say that, but it doesn't seem right to me after seeing all that has been said about it on various sites online!

Ford should really honor their quality commitment and fix the problem on these 2005 Tritons! I really like the truck but I am just worried I may have a major issue and I am actually poor, I was able to buy it because a friend helped me out to get me something dependable. And my Ranger was so damned good I thought I would get another Ford truck and I needed something with more room. I am disabled and I will not be able to afford the cost and I shouldn't have to if something like this goes wrong since from all I have read it is an obvious design flaw that Ford doesn't want to acknowledge because that may cost them to fix! They can afford it, I cant! I just hope I don't end up screwed! It's still running great now but I have this constant anxiety of whether or not I'm gonna have a catastrophic failure!

- , Carbondale, KS, USA

Apr 012005

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Well it still ticks. this truck needs to be recalled for motor and exhaust system.

- , Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Sep 022013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I purchased the truck with an extended 3 year warranty that is supposed to cover the power train but the Ford warranty people, after the truck sitting in the local Ford shop for two months, said that they would not honor their contract with me to fix the motor because something went wrong with the motor. As I understand it it was a phase something or the other. From what I have read this is a problem with this motor and they seem to already know this. My local Ford store is not to blame for anything, they have told the Ford people that I have had the truck serviced at all service scheduled times and I haven't abused the truck in anyway. I have only put less than 14,000 miles on the truck since I have had it.

My first Ford was a 1953 flathead 8 cylinder and I have been a Ford man ever since with no problems with any of them. I have had several f-150's The local Ford store has tried to help me with this problem, I have no complaints with them. If Ford doesn't honor their contract with me on this I will not spend one more penny on any Ford product. This is the first step in making my grievances known. FB, BBB, local news stations etc. Thank you carcomplaints .com.

- , Banner Elk, NC, USA

Feb 012012

F-150 XL 5.4L

Wow, Ford 5.4 motors should be recalled completely. Cam Phaser problems on every one they built.

I am a Ford guy since birth but thinking change may be good.

- , Burdett, NY, USA

Mar 262012

F-150 XLT Crew Cab 5.4L 3v V8 Triton

I am owner of 05 F150 for two years, I am mechanic automotive Chevrolet and Ford. I bought a 2005 Ford Crew Cab at 169,000 miles two years ago, same day unfortunately that my truck's 5.4L engine ran awful, shakes, knocked, and rattling. Then I replaced new timing chains, tensioners, cam sensors, and VCT solenoids at 171,646 miles for $2,070. So I used Ford Motorcraft 5W20/ Oil Filter Motorcraft that my 5.4L 3V is required specific type of engine oil. At 175,400 miles, the engine was rough/shake, rattling noise so I had it run like that for a long time until 8 months later, at 196,200 miles, the engine is completely damaged; failure of, crank bearings, timing chains, adjuster lifters, and cam phaser were failures for no reason.

I purchased brand new 5.4L 3V zero mile for $1,790 completed long block 100,000 miles or 3 years warranty in Tucson, AZ very lowest price ever instead of $5,000. I installed new 5.4L 3V into my truck and reprogram my new PCM for $1,600, after everything had finished connected altogether into the truck, I turned it over and ran sound as normal, no ticks, and I will use MC Ford 5w20/ MC Ford oil filter on my 5.4L ALWAYS. I was upset that Ford did not recall this 5.4L, designed is poor, caused spark plug and cam phaser issue. Also I have spent $5,000 for new engine, parts and PCM

- , Tucson, AZ, USA