2.1

2005 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012016

F-150

My F150 frame is rusted through where it actually broke I work as a welder and I have fixed 3 diffrant trucks F150 around the same year it is mostly on drivers side.

- Essex, VT, USA

Apr 102016

F-150

Fuse 14 controlling ABS module, dtr sensor, reverse lights, PCV heater, air conditioner compressor, cruise control deactivator switch and daytime headlights was repeatedly blowing. Truck was serviced by dealer on 3-23-16, replacing the A/C compressor. Replacing the A/C compressor did not resolve any issues. The truck was returned to the dealer on 4-6-16 for the same issue with the same fuse. The dealership replaced the fuse and performed diagnostic tests on the truck, then informing me that they could not diagnose or locate the short. The dealership informed me that I would have to drive the truck until the fuse started blowing more frequently. The first time the truck was driven after work was performed the cruise control was not functioning properly. The truck engine would surge as the truck went down the road with the cruise control on. The issue with the cruise control happened on 4-9-16. On the morning of 4-10-16 the truck was driven approximately 4 miles and parked in the drive of my home. After entering the house the alarm was heard sounding on the vehicle, at which time I stepped outside to find the truck on fire. The fire seemed to have started on the inside of the truck.

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Oct 012014

F-150

Had to replace spark plugs on 2005 Ford F150. Caused mechanical problems. I got them replaced at Ford dealership in rice lake Wisconsin.

- Rice Lake, WI, USA

Oct 232015

F-150

Spark plugs are impossible to be removed/replaced. Went to mechanic to be removed/replaced and was extremely expensive. Must be some defect on Ford's part.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 172014

F-150

About a year ago I was driving my F-150 pickup truck down street maybe 45 M.P.H when out of nowhere the driver side window made a loud noise and fell down into the door. Ended up that the window regulator had broken. Then yesterday I was driving about 50 M.P.H and my back window was open about 2 inches I pushed the button to make it go up, it made a loud grinding noise and fell into the door also.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Mar 052015

F-150

On the morning of March 5th 2015 I started my truck to warm the inside and also melt the snow off my windshield. I got in the truck and backed out away from house. Due to having snow on the driveway I turned on the 4 wheel drive in high. My four wheel drive would not work so I tried to swicth to 2 wheel drive back to four wheel drive but the 4 wheel drive would not turn on. I grabbed the gear shift to put the truck back in park when I noticed my gear shift could float to park to 1st gear freely and would not shift. At this time I noticed smoke starting to come inside cab from under dash and thru the vents. I jumped out and opened the hood. A 1 foot section of a wiring harnes mounted to the firewall had caught fire. I made attempts to put out the fire but within a few seconds the engine compartment was engulfed. In 2 to 3 minutes the entire inside of the cab was also completely on fire. My wife who was watching me immediatly called 911 to get the fire department. After 3 minutes the truck was already a total lose. Due to the truck being only 60' from my house and burning so hot I was concerned about my house catching fire. Two gentleman from the rescue squad arrived but it was too late for anything to be done. I was able to get a backhoe and put the fire out with snow. Unfortunately I had liability insurance only which meant a total lose. I never dreamed that the truck would burn up sitting in my driveway!!!! I know there have been some recalls for F150 due to fire hazards with the cruise control for other year model close to 2005. A vehicle catching fire while its sitting in a driveway running is totally unacceptable. The truck was in excellent shape and had no after market parts or work performed. I have no ideal why the wiring harness caught fire.

- Cadiz, KY, USA

May 212015

F-150

My 2005 F150 XLT frame is rusted through on the driver, S side of the truck. I purchased it in December of 2005 so it has not seen ten years of service yet. It will not pass Vermont state inspection which means I will no longer be able to drive it on public roads due to safety reasons. The body is in very good condition and the truck has less than 41,000 miles on it. I have until the end of August, 2005 to get the truck fixed so it will pass inspection. I do not want to drive it because of this safety issue. The frame which supports all other components of the truck needs to and should definitely last much longer than ten years. Will there be a recall on these trucks to repair/replace the frames soon? it will be very expensive to have it repaired locally.

- Underhill, VT, USA

May 232015

F-150

Driving on interstate doing 70 mph (in fast lane) when truck stopped/stalled and I guess from research went into "limp mode". I was unable to press the gas pedal, it just shook three times each of which slowed it down incredibly, the check engine light was on and a wrench showed up, but the radio still worked. While trying to pull over almost wrecked (memorial day weekend and I was in fast lane). Finally able to pull over to side of road hysterical, shut off and waited a minute and it started. Drove rest of way home miles* with check engine light on and ABS light on. I am scared to death to drive again. Not fun having a vehicle stall/quit whatever on interstate in rush hour traffic.

- Baxter, TN, USA

Nov 142014

F-150

Bought a 2005 F150 Triton V8 5.4L new in 2005. I have now experienced a cam phase problem which will cost appx 2500 to repair. Talking to my mechanic he said that it was no promise to fix the issue, because these motors are known for this issue. Was told it would be easier to put another motor in so I wouldn't have to worry about, if it would fix the problem. My brother has a 2008 Ford with the same motor and had the same problem, but his motor after having the cam phaser's replaced blew up and had to replace the motor. After researching and talking to several ase qualified mechanics they all said that there's an issue with the 5.4 liter Triton motor. Upon calling Ford Motor Company as I well figured would happen they said that they wouldn't help with the cost and that there was nor recall. Consumers should be able to get more than 100,000 miles out of a vehicle they buy. If Ford wants to keep customers happy they should address theproblem and the government should be more vigilant in assuring the consumer is protected from companies whose product dosen't meet standards. I would like to see the government to look at all complaints through a survey on this motor to find a solution for the consumer.

- Pickrell, NE, USA

Nov 262011

F-150 8-cyl

My 2005 Ford F150 needed the spark plugs to be removed. I went to remove them and they were all defective. I had to have the truck towed and repaired. They charged me $941 which crazy. This is 3 times the amount it would cost to repair on my own if the spark plugs on my own which is what I was trying to do. Ford dealership would do nothing for me even after I told them and showed proof of many many many people having the same issue on a forum. There is a problem!

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 152011

F-150 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford F150 4 door. While driving, I heard a loud pop and my drivers door window fell to the bottom of the door. The loud noise was a shock and a possible safety hazard. Approximately a week later, the right rear window did the same thing!! I have read several things on line about this stating that the window regulators going out on these vehicles is a common problem. I have not had either fixed due to the cost. There are numerous issues with this problem on line and needs to be recalled.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jun 252011

F-150

I was driving along in my 2005, Ford F-150 pick-up truck about to make a stop when the passenger side window just fell into the door, it sounded like a small explosion frightening myself and my wife who was a passenger. I have read to many stories concerning the problems with the windows falling to not report this one. If it have not happen yet, there is the possibility of one of these glasses breaking and flying out of the window frame because my glass temporarily hung at an awkward position prematurely before dropping down into door frame.

- Roberta, GA, USA

Jun 032010

F-150 8-cyl

While driving down the road, I heard a loud pop and the driver side window went crashing down inside the door. Had it replaced under warranty. A few days after the maintenance warranty ended (1yr 2 days)....the same problem happened to the same window and it happened while I was driving down the road again and almost caused me to wreck. This is a very unsafe issue that I am finding out about with a lot of 2005 Ford vehicles. Please do something about this issue Ford.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 152011

F-150

Heard loud pop when rolling window up and then window fell into the door. This was the passenger side window. I had the exact same thing happen in September 2009 with the drivers side window. The cause of that was broken regulator in the window. The windows just fall down into the doors. Could be very dangerous if there is a defect with the regulators and someone was traveling at any rate of speed. Luckily my windows did not shatter in the door when they fell.

- Clover, SC, USA

Sep 152008

F-150

Driver air bag exploded instantly upon entering the vehicle.

- Placitas, NM, USA

Feb 032011

F-150

While driving vehicle at any speed from 10 mph to 70 mph the truck will go into safe mode (limp-home mode) going down to 5 mph and losing all power steering. When diagnosed it is the throttle body control to me this is a safety issue what happens if I am driving 70 mph on the highway and it goes into safety mode and I lose all power steering. Does someone have to die before there is a recall on this"?" it will cost me around $1000 to fix per brondes Ford in toledo Ohio and I am told Ford has 2 or 3 vehicles a week come in for the same problem. To me this is not standard maintenance.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 092008

F-150

The left front window regulator failed and window fell down into door 06/09/2010 at 39738 miles. Causing the vehicle to be vulnerable to theft. (at the time vehicle was parked overnight) repair at the dealer was $384 - second failure was to the right front window regulator while driving. 11-13-2010 @ 61400 miles loud pop while window was being rolled up. Window dropped into door. This action caused an immediate distraction to me while driving the vehicle. This could be very unsafe and cause an accident! I truly believe these regulators are not sufficiently designed to reliable standards. I believe Ford should be made to replace the regulators with a new designed part at no cost to the customer. There are hundreds if not thousands of testimonials for this bad order part. Ford is not willing to aid in this matter.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Apr 012010

F-150

Driving down a busy downtown interstate, smooth pavement, bumper to bumper traffic and I hear a loud pop and sound of glass breaking from the left side of my vehicle. Lot of road rage in the city I live in, so for a second I thought someone shot thru my window so I reacted with a quick swerve and almost collected the car to my right. After I got to a place to stop and investigate the drivers side door glass was gone. I took the vehicle to my mechanic and he informed me the window regulator had failed and let the glass fall to the bottom of the door and shatter. I understand from info from my mechanic and on the net this is a common problem for Ford products. I could have easily collected the other car in my situation and caused a major accident. No telling how many have been killed because of this and Ford gets off scot-free because the persons in the Ford it happens to are dead and can't tell the window falling caused them to react and cause an accident. Now their family's not only have to deal with their loved ones death but may be dealing with the fact the accident may have caused other deaths.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Apr 022010

F-150

My 2005 Ford F-150 front passenger window fell inside the door. This is the second time I have had this same problem, first time it was my front driver side window, the dealer repaired it, it was the regulator. This time I disassembled the door panel so I could 'attempt' to fix the problem myself. Upon looking inside the door at the regulator/motor, all I saw was the cable wrapped around the regulator.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 282010

F-150

I have a 2005 Ford F150 super crew pickup truck. As driving in a parking lot heard a very loud crash coming from a drivers to work a raise my arm to protect myself from flying glass that was expecting to contact me at my looked at the and/or glass it was still intact. The sound startled everyone in the car and including small children in the back seat. I stopped the car and checked to make sure everybody was okay which they were. I had to disassemble the door panel so that I could get the window and up as it was chilly outside. The following day I checked on the internet to see what was involved and replacing this broken window regulator and found that this is an extremely common problem on Ford truck's from 2004 - 2008. I contacted the Ford dealer and they stated that there was no recall or service bulletin. I suffered no injury but the potential is certainly there for a very large number of vehicles.

- Beaufort, SC, USA