2005 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 282015

F-150

The lower ujoint on the steering column is freezing up from corrosion. In the past I had noticed it was getting harder to steer so I would spray the joints with penetrating oil and they would improve. Today the joints were so bad it was as if the power steering had given out, to the point I pulled over to check that I didn't blow a power steering hose. I will not let my wife drive this truck until the part is replaced but at a cost of $200 for the part it will have to be parked for a while. I understand normal wear but this is common enough to draw some attention I hope.

- Athens, WI, USA

Dec 152014

F-150

I just wanted to add my vehicle to the list of complaints about the differential. Mine makes noise and has made noise for quite some time. I thought it might be the tires or rotors. I found out that it was coming directly from the rear differential. Based on the complaints I have heard, I am pretty sure this is the same thing. The noise sounds like metal running on metal. I believe this should be something Ford should pay to fix. If I have to pay for it, I'm definitely not using Ford. I read that's many people have the same complaints. This failure is security public problems, because accidental or crash may occur.

- Ciales, PR, USA

Nov 242014

F-150

Corrosion of the U-joints on the lower steering shaft of my 2005 Ford F150 (4.6 L) is causing the steering to malfunction. Steering will not return to center after turning, even at moderate speeds. The vehicle drives as if it has no power steering. Lubrication of these joints will remedy the problem for a period of a week or so, but the problem persists. This is a known design flaw that has been recalled in other Ford models within similar manufacture dates. I live in a cold weather state where the problem in the recalled vehicles has been noted to be more of an issue. There are many online complaints regarding this design flaw in the F150. The cost for me to replace this part will range from $300 to $600. However, the replacement parts are made within the same original oem design. The parts need to be corrected so that replacements will not falter as well. It is very scary to think that I may not be able to rely on my steering during difficult weather situations.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Jul 212014

F-150 8-cyl

I had problems steering my car for the last 3 weeks. I made an appointment and they replaced the shaft 8L3Z-3B676-B. the service tech said the Crown Victoria had the same problem and part. www.edmunds.com/car-news/Ford-recalls-355000-vehicles-in-us-for-possible-steering-loss.html please do something, so other F150 owners will be warned, before they crash. The repair was over $400, but that might be cheaper than crashing the car. Thanks

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Sep 122012

F-150 8-cyl

The steering wheel on this 2005 is extremely loose at the top of the wheel and feels very unsecured as far as it being connected or secured underneath. It is also deteriorating greatly in that same area at the top of the wheel and never have seen this before. The reason I am so concerned about the safety of me and especially my family where we had a head-on collision and were very lucky to be alive. My wife has never fully recuperated from that horrible night. For her to drive my pickup and feel unsafe because of a defect that the Ford Motor Company obviously overlooked or is neglecting is unthinkable. I cannot emphasize this enough due to a friend of mine which was killed in one of your Ford Explorer many years ago due to defective tires from Firestone.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Aug 102009

F-150 8-cyl

Loss of steering because of a leak in hydraulic hoses. Hose rotted out replaced hose and rack. Happened again 11/23/13 same conditioned but parts have not been available as of this date.

- Millis, MA, USA

Jul 252013

F-150

Failure of the lower steering shaft causes vehicle to restrict correcting itself after a turn. Driver has to physically struggle to straighten the vehicle after turning.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jul 102013

F-150 8-cyl

Turned to go around corner steering wheel would not turn back. Ended up on sidewalk. Very hard time to turn steering wheel back. My mechanic it was poor design of the lower steering shaft.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Jul 032013

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel failed and seized without warning. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA

May 062013

F-150

During a recent required nys inspection, play was found in the lower U joint of the steering shaft. I was told by the mechanic doing the inspection that the joint had so much play in it that it could break causing loss of steering and vehicle control. The entire shaft was replaced. The Ford dealership where the vehicle was purchased said to my amazement, it was possibly caused by the vehicle having too few miles on it. ## VIN failed ##

- Marcellus, NY, USA

Apr 272013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact was driving 25 mph and attempting a turn when the steering wheel seized and could not be moved in any direction. The contact applied force to the steering wheel in order to continue driving. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering shaft U-joint was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Jul 102012

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired at the owner's expense, even though there was a recall issued for the similar defect under NHTSA campaign id number 11V107000 (air bags:frontal:driver side inflator module). The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. In addition, the steering wheel would emit a loud clunking and rattling noise when the vehicle was in operation. The steering wheel would also lock whenever the vehicle was being driven for over a period of twenty minutes and eventually unlock when the engine was shut off. There was a technical service bulletin pertaining to the NHTSA item number 10014252 (steering). The steering wheel was repaired by the dealer and the problem continued to occur. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Hampshire , IL, USA

Aug 142012

F-150

The truck loses its power steering capability after about 10-15min of driving down the road. If a turn needs to be made, the steering wheel freezes without notice, which causes panic; additionally, it rattles and clunks as it is manually maneuvered. It becomes necessary to quickly strong-arm the steering wheel, in hopes of forcibly completing the turn so that it doesn't go off the path possibly crashing into something or someone. Ford has issued a tsb #05-9-23 pertaining to this issue. Why is a mechanical problem that can be so dangerous to the driver, passengers and others not identified as a recall vs. A tsb?

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Feb 012012

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when he noticed that fluid was leaking into a puddle under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the power steering lines were leaking. The vehicle was not repaired because the necessary parts were on back order. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 248,000.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Jul 262005

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle would vibrate violently while driving on the highway. The dealer and manufacturer were notified, but were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10 and the current mileage was 76,000.

- Lyndale, IN, USA

Oct 012010

F-150

My 2005 Ford F150 loses the ability to use the gas throttle. I can still steer and the engine, lights, air conditioning system, and brake system still work. The has happened about two dozen times starting in Oct 2010 and still occurring as of December 2011. I have had to swerve across freeway lanes on several occasions. The wrench sign comes on in the dash. I am able to shut the vehicle off and it turns right back on. The wrench goes away but the check engine light stays on. It really scares me because I visit the mountains in the winter and I am afraid this will happen on the way to the mountain and kill me or my family. I have heard numerous complaints online about this issue and it needs to be fixed.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Dec 122011

F-150 8-cyl Diesel

Our 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty, (with less than 50,000 miles) continues to have instances of extreme front end shaking when crossing bridges and going over any size bumps in the road, (big or small). When this happens, the vehicle is 'out of control'!!! this is a severe and dangerous problem that Ford needs to recall. It is clear that this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle. Is it going to take a fatal crash to get the attention from the Ford manufacturer"???? or a class action lawsuit???" the local dealerships deny there is any issue with the vehicle, have paid private mechanic to install stabilizer, etc., but problem is only getting worse. Due to this being a severe safety hazard, I would like to see a formal recall process begin.

- Salem, OR, USA

Nov 012011

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the pressure hose was loosing power steering fluid rapidly. The contact had taken the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the pressure hose had completely rotted. The dealer informed the contact that the part needed for repairs was on back order because the manufacturer had redesigned the part, but was not making it available as of yet. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 64,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Aug 152011

F-150

Vehicle stalls out completely when coming to a stop and at highway speed. Vehicle goes into fail safe mode. Very hard to control vehicle. Vehicle can be restarted once put in park and shut off.

- Stillwater , MN, USA

May 222011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 w/ 5.4 liter V8. Power steering pressure hose portion started leaking under support clamp, and almost emptied out the reservoir in about 2 weeks. Steering was notably harder which caused me to check fluid level. After repairing with aftermarket part, was told by dealer this is common on this vehicle. This truck has 53,000 miles, no accidents, never been abused in anyway that could have lead to this failure. It appears road grit cause the hose to fail by getting in the clamp and wearing into the rubber coating. It is very hard to see any damage. The part should last.

- Northfield, MN, USA