8.3

1. insert (not helicoil) (9 reports)
  3. replaced head (1 reports)
  4. rethread head (1 reports)
2006 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Oct 302016

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

The spark plugs keep loosening or ejecting. At first I thought it was a problem with the spark plugs themselves or something else, but I see a lot of other Ford owners are having the same issue http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-engine/spark-plug-ejection.shtml

- , Interlachen, FL, USA

Jun 242016

F-150 STX 4.6L V/8

This is the 4th cylinder to blow a plug out of the head in about 14 months? See my other posts. I am done with the truck. I got rid of the truck the next day.

Jun 172016

F-150 XL 4.6L

Started truck and heard a loud bang. Saw small amount of smoke. Thought oh sh*t I'm on fire. After calling a few people, was told what to look for. Found 3rd back on left bank blown out. Had to have towed to shop. Don't know amount of damage or cost to fix yet.

- , Columbia, MO, USA

Feb 282016

F-150 5.4L V8

The spark plug blew right out of the engine! This appears to be a big problem with the use of the aluminum block. The little bit of research I did shows that my Ford is not the first one to experience this problem. My mechanic says this is common. So what the heck. Sounds like a recall to me.

- , Williams Lake, BC, Canada

Feb 192016

F-150 STX 4.6L V/8

This is the 3rd cylinder to throw a spark plug. Look back at my other 2 complaints filed. I am not sure why I would buy another ford truck based on this KNOWN problem. I am a Ford Family and get the "A:" plan when purchasing but this may just be too annoying to continue. Really questions your faith in the quality of the next one.

Apr 072015

F-150 STX 4.6L V/8

Spark plug on cylinder #4 blew out of the head and stripped the threads with it as it went. I have found out that this is a known issue with this engine in the F-150. I am kind of a die hard Ford truck fan but this concerns me. I do not buy my vehicles to trade in after warranty - I expect to get more than 10 years out of them. This truck is fabulous but this is a real concern for longevity of use.

Oct 192015

F-150 STX 4.6L V/8

This is the 2nd time that this has happened (not the same cylinder) in 6 months. Very frustrated that a properly maintained vehicle has an issue that is well known in the industry to be a problem. Concerned over the purchase of another F-150 when I do not feel we are being taken care of (a fix/solution/warm fuzzy) on this matter.

Jun 202015

F-150 Fxst 4.6L

This is a problem known by Ford, a TBS has been issued but Ford merely responds by statements that the regret the inconvenience, there are no warranties, there are no recalls or customer satisfaction programs for this concern. This is a Ford created design engineering defect that Ford just ignores and lets its customers pay for its mistake, probably operating on the theory that eventually with age of vehicle problem will go away as repairs will not be made with vehicle sent to junk yard as time passes. In meantime customer subjected to cost of repair that is far from normal wear and tear, a safety concern of fire in engine compartment from fuel blown out of hole vacated by the plug and a reliability concern as well as safety from sudden loss of power. Ford is just ignoring the problem AND NOT providing any monetary consideration for the problem it created. Just very disgusted over this issue of added expense.

- , Highridge, MO, USA

Aug 202015

F-150 XLT 4.6L

After doing my research on this problem with Ford F-150 blown out spark plug problems, I am very angry at Ford Motor Corporation from not recalling the vehicles to correct this problem. Because of this problem may occur again, I will not buy another Ford truck if I have to purchased another truck.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 102015

F-150 XLT 4.6L

When I bought my truck brand new in 2006, it would have been nice had they told me it would have a spark plug issue but they didn't. So now I've been told by my mechanic he needs $5400 to replace the engine. He said the Ford House told him that they wouldn't do anything but replace the engine and no one will replace the head. Oh and they said a helicoil won't work either. Thanks Ford for giving me the shaft!

- , Cleburne, TX, USA

Mar 252015

F-150 STX 4.6L 2 valve V8

Seems to be an unfortunately common problem with FORD.

- , Avondale Estates, GA, USA

Sep 012014

F-150 STX 4.6L

Ford has knew about this problem for years. Why haven't they fixed it? And why do I have to pay when for knowingly put these vehicles on the road with this problem?

- , Booneville, KY, USA

Jul 142014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Well, to say the least, my extended warranty just ran out! FML, but then I heard that this is a common problem with almost all Fords, and this was the place to complain to try and get some type of action, and Ford is currently doing nothing! If nothing is done by Ford, it will be the last one I ever own . . .

- , Dawson, Yukon, canada

Jun 272014

F-150 ES 4.6L

Spark plug blew out of the head. Called Ford dealer in Vineland NJ. Told me the warranty was up and to just put an insert in. That lasted about 15 months, now it blew out again. Transmission had went when i bought he truck new in 06. After i had for 2 months? So much for buying American made? Ford sucks!!!

- , Marlton, NJ, USA

Jun 042008

F-150 Supercrew Cab 4.6L

AFTER THE SPARK PLUG BLUE OUT I PULLED OVER TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED. FOUND THE PROBLEM WENT TO THE FORD DEALER , SERVICE GUY CAME OUT AND SAID SPARK PLUG BLEW OUT. I SAID HOW DID YOU KNOW , HE SAID I HEARD YOU COMING AROUND THE CORNER. HE KNEW WHAT IT WAS AND HAD A PRICE READY FOR ME BEFORE I GOT OUT OF MY TRUCK. THE SERVICE GUY THEN TOLD ME THESE PROBLEM ENGINES COME IN THREE TO FOUR TIMES A DAY. SOUNDS LIKE A RECALL.

- , rosenberg, TX, USA

Feb 202014

F-150 3.05

It is a same this problem can't be fixed. Took it I for a tune up 2 days later no truck and 3 broken plug not sure how much it will cost but it sucks!!!!

- , Marietta, IL, USA

Dec 012013

F-150 XLT 4.6L

Keep it up Ford! Sooner or later you will have to pay for this.

- , Broomfield, CO, USA

Jan 012013

F-150 XLT 4.6L

Absolute sham that Ford tells their dealership mechanics how to fix this problem with an insert ONLY if the vehicle is not under manufacturer warranty but if the warranty is still in place they tell them to replace the heads!!!!

Ford knows that this WIDESPREAD problem is due to faulty heads, not plugs, and this is quite obvious if you consider the way that they instruct their mechanics to deal with it.

This happened to my truck twice within one year and I will be filing a separate complaint for the second incident. This is not only a disgrace for Ford, but also for the NHTSA for not recalling these engines as safety hazards.

- , Broomfield, CO, USA

Sep 122013

F-150 Supercab V8

I entered this complaint on my husbands behalf. un benounced to him. but for the money we paid for his beloved truck this sh*t should not of happened! he is on ss# now we cant afford this repair and I :am goig back to report another complaint because the 4 wheel drive went in febuary on one side !! havent been able to get fixed yet...Thats going to be $400.00 more !!! GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT THIS REPAIR IS GOING TO COST ? ( for the blown out spark plug) sincerely un happy wife of a ford lover

- , Sanford, ME, USA

Jul 182013

F-150 XLT 4.6L V6

My 2006 F-150 Ford pickup blew a spark plug into the head at a gas station while we were on vacation. 7 hours away from home, we took it to Ford dealership for repairs. Were told this was a common problem with these trucks, had to leave it for two weeks, drive back to pick it up, cost over $3,700!

- , Teague, TX, USA