8.7

2. remove heads (10 reports)
  3. purchase special removal tool (8 reports)
  4. don't buy a ford (2 reports)
  5. helio coil, new coil, new plug (1 reports)
2006 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 032013

F-150 Supercrew Xlt 5.4L Triton V8

Ford knows about the defect in the design that causes the plugs to snap off , which causes the extra cost for me , the customer ....yet ford refuses to take any responsibility for their flawed design or product that doesn't meet expectations for a truck I paid good money for when I spent 35k for it new in 2006, so now I will drive it to it dies and the next truck I buy with not be a ford. Simple way to lose a customer FoRd! Buy the way, my wife wants a new 2014 Ford Edge Limited so bad right now, they ride so nice , we even test drove one......but because of a bad taste still in my mouth from this and other issues yet from my 06 ford f150 , my wife will be looking at the buick enclave if I got anything to say about it. Especially since we had 72 mos at 0% thru ford in 06 & now ford only approved us for 0% for 48 mos.......bye ford !

- , Wabasha, MN, USA

May 212013

F-150 LX 5.4L

They said it was # 5 plug, replaced the plug and coil wire. Just drove it and still doing the same thing not fixed at all

- , Reidsville, NC, USA

Feb 102013

F-150 5.4L

Started having a miss so i thought that idle have the plugs changed. 6 out of the 8 broke off. . this problem is total bullshit. first there should be a recall on it and it shouldn't cost so damn much to have it done. im $400 in to it now and still trying to get the broken pieces out. why hasn't ford motor company fixing their problem that is costing there customers so much time money and grief. you would think they would want to take care of this to have repeat business . i can tell u now ill never buy another ford

- , Sardis, Ohio, USA

Aug 162009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Truck started missing. Broke 7 out of 8 plugs. Had to special order removal tool. All in all, total repairs cost $750. Royal P.I.A.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 232012

F-150

I searched for this problem on the Internet and found a site called fordproblems.com that states that this is a known problem and that Ford does not acknowledge it. They say that this is caused by untrained people not installing plugs properly.

The problem with that is that I bought my truck brand new and have had all repairs and maintenance done by Ford dealers. I challenge Ford to look at the service record for my truck and to talk to the service people. They will tell you how anal I am about fixing everything that goes wrong on my truck.

I treat my truck with respect. Anything that goes wrong on it I fix immediately.

Overall I have been happy with this truck but I am at a point to get a new one. This problem could have caused a fire. I am deeply troubled as this does not appear to be an isolated incident.

I ended up here because that is what http://www.fordproblems.com/problems/spark-plug-ejected-from-engine.shtml told me to do. I am following their recommendation. I am also in the process of reporting it to Transport Canada. If you are in the same boat the number to call is 1-800-333-0510. It took me a couple of other calls to the government to get this number. Chances are that you will have to leave a message to call you back.

Peace!

- , Fredericton, NB, canada

Oct 292012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I have NOT attempted to change my plugs yet, and not sure I want to. I have a miss, but it is not bad. After reviewing all of the complaints here, I did a little searching for an official Ford response, but did not find one. I did find a class action lawsuit (http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/tag/ford-f-150). I have NOT looked into this, so not sure if it is worth it or not. But I plan to research the class action lawsuit BEFORE changing my plugs. If there is a way to recoup losses it is worth changing the plugs and driving the truck for another 100,000 miles. If there is no way to recoup losses, I may just sell the truck and buy another one. Hate to do that, but not worth $2000 to $3000 to change the plugs in a truck.

- , Brimingham, AL, USA

Sep 222012

F-150 XL 5.4L V8 Triton

After replacing hundred of plugs I have never come across this. Who would have thought to research how to replace spark plugs. This is a common practice, or so I thought. As soon as the first one broke, I stopped and researched. I am not replacing a piston. Standard maintenance should not require taking out a new mortgage. Recall is definitely a must.

- , Clifton Park, NY, USA

Aug 182012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3v

Ford has an issue with spark plugs breaking off when removing them. Some folks are lucky to have minimal plugs break off. I was lucky as I only had one plug break off. Luckily a local garage was able to extract the piece. I've heard others been less fortunate. When the piece fell into the engine and it cost several thousands of dollars to remove them. This is an issue that Ford needs to take responsibility for and recall the trouble vehicles and replace the plugs with one piece plugs. They will when the class action lawsuit gets initiated.

- , Glennville, Georgia, USA

May 092012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Its not fair to the Ford fans they need to recall on all the 2006 ford f150 cause it costing too damn much money to fix.

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Mar 072012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I took my 06/F150 in for a "tune-up" at 100K and I was told of the spark plug problem, but my mechanic said it only happens about 16% of the time, roughly 1 out of 6. The original estimate for the tune up was around $400. BUT then the call came.....two spark plus had broken, even after spraying them with break loose and letting the vehicle sit over night. Now my $400 tune up was going to be a $3000 Head removal. My mechanic worked with me and reduced the cost to $2,500......over 6 time the original estimate......I'm seriously thinking about taking Ford to Small Claims for the difference between the original tune-up and the final cost. Unfortunately, it's things like this that make me want to change from Ford to Chevy or Toyota, after being a Ford driver for over 35 years.

If Ford knows of the problem with the spark plus, this should have been a recall repair, instead, I had to spend nearly 8 months of payment on this design blunder.....THANKS FORD!!!!!

- , Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Mar 192012

F-150 Xlt Lariet 5.4L

Over $600 for spark plugs. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think Ford needs to be sued for not doing anything about this problem. There is no reason it should cost so much just to put spark plugs in your car or truck.

- , Cohutta, GA, USA

Mar 082012

F-150 5.4L

i have a 5.4 f150 never had any trouble with it until now. i never knew that they would put these defective plugs in new trucks. i had one plug go bad so i knew it was time to change them. i didnt do much research cause i had a manuel. when i bought the new plugs i was wondering why they had an extra metal top to it. but i didnt realize so many people were having them break off. mine was # 8 so it was just a pain to get at in the first place but as soon as i get it loose an pull it out i realize i broke the head off called my normal mechanic and he tells me that he doesnt have the proper tools and i better take it to a dealership. i dont know about u guys but i go to school with a full time job. i was expecting 200 to 300 now i find out it could be thousands if the rest break off its just unbelievable. why havent there been a recall on something so major

- , Fort Smith, Arkansas, USA

Oct 142011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I heard about the Ford F-150 spark plug problem, so recently I was having routine maintenance done at 62,000 miles and decided to have the spark plugs changed. I figured they would come out easier, boy was I wrong. I had the worse case scenrio that the dealer told me about, one plug won't come out and they will have to remove the head, and this little project cost $2800 and they have to remove the cab to do it. When I found out about it I was naturally pissed and contacted Ford via e-mail. They said they would look into it and contact me or the dealer. I found out from the dealer that Ford was go to do NOTHING to help. C'MON MAN!!!!

I have always owned Ford's and HAD considered myself a Ford loyal custom, where is Fords loyality to me. I'll never buy another one since they don't stand behind the products they build.

- , Shelbyville, IL, USA

Oct 012011

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Having the same problem as many other with a ford 5.4 eng. This is my first Ford and most likely it will be my last; "unless" Ford owns up to their mistake and have a recall on the spark plugs. I am getting ready to have new ones put in by a professional mech. I had another mech look at it and he took took them out, but said he was lucky that they didn't break. He could not get the others out so he stopped trying and put the others back in and told me I would have to go to someone that had the proper tools. Ford garage wanted 350.00 up front and at least 100 per plug if it broke. The guy I am taking it to will charge me 100 up front and 50 for each that breaks. Where are all the lawyers that want to sue everyone. There are recalls on a lot of things like cracked trim and such, but when it comes to a mech. problem. where are they?

Update from Jan 3, 2012: Sience I first entered this complaint; I have had my truck fixed. My friend whom is a very good mach and has his own shop. Took my plugs out and.a total of four of them broke. Its no wounder that my truck was running so rough. Those plugs look like they had been in for 500,000 miles instead of 46,800. The total cost was $446.00. I am lucky I have someone like him to work on my cars that don't rip anyone off. The ford company would have cost well over 1000. We need a recall. thank you very much!

- , Ashland, KY, USA

Sep 132011

F-150 XL 5.4L

I took my F150 to have the plugs changed after reading all this stuff about the problem. Guess what 1 plug broke when they tried to change it. 18,450 miles can you believe te. 523.00 later and I have my truc back. How can Ford not stand up for their own design mistake. Where are those big bad lawyers when you need them.

- , Signal Mountain, Tennessee, USA

Nov 072011

F-150 XLT 5.4L

this should be a recall.Why not ? This truck needs plugs replaced asap Dealer say could cost $2800.00 dollars for a tuneup ???

- , Westville, IL, USA

Jun 212011

F-150 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

spark plugs break off in head

Truck is in Maroone Ford of Miami since 6/30/11. They broke 3 of 8 spark plugs. Removed 2 of 3 successfully. Now they want an additional $3,880.58 to remove the spark plug they broke! That's in addition to almost $800 charged previously.

Ford Motor Company has had this issue with 3V engines since 2004 on the F-150s. Yet, they will not pay for repairs. They told me my truck was out of warranty at 93K miles even though their Ford Maintenance Schedule Guide specifies spark plug change at 100K miles.

Ford Motor Company tells me that they can not help me with this issue because there isn't a recall for this issue. Well, I am not the only one that has had this unpleasant experience. I see this has been happening to many people through out the U.S. for many years. SO, WHY ISN'T THERE A RECALL ON THESE SPARK PLUGS? What I don't understand is how when I contacted the U.S. Department of Transportation (NHTSA) ON 7/8/11-THERE IS NO RECORD OF ANYONE ELSE FILING A COMPLAINT.

I have registered complaints with: The Office of the Attorney General in Florida, The Better Business Burea, Federal Trade Commission- Bureau of Consumer Protection, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DACS), Miami Dade County Consumer Protection Office.

If anyone out there knows who else to contact let me know. I will not rest until we get a long overdue recall on this matter. I am sick and tired of the abuse to the consumer. If anyone has had the same unpleasant experience that I am going through - If you haven't filed complaints - please do so, that is the only way we can get something done about this.

Eduardo Pezzi

Update from Nov 28, 2011: If anyone out there is experiencing the same situation, please file complaints as I am. It will take a while, but the more people that complain, the quicker we will see an end to this abuse.

Here are a few places to start:

* National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1-888-327-4236 * The Better Business Bureau 561-842-1918 * State Attorney's Office * Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services 1-850-410-3782 * Miami Dade County Consumer Services 305 375-3677 * Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection 877-382-4357 * Center For Auto Safety * Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service 800-342-8060

Hope this helps. Will keep sending information as I learn it. Good luck, Ed

- , Summerland Key, FL, USA

Aug 172011

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I had a breaker bar on mine and chickened out before I broke one off, for it is still running fine. Just wanted to tune it up. My father has the same make, model and year as mine with 48K miles on it. It stopped running just yesterday on his way home. The Ford Garage told him out of the blue the plugs went bad and the engine is full of gas. Need to clean out engine and replace plugs for $600.00 plus $35 for each plug that breaks off during the replacement. My father is disabled so this is a crock to say the least. So if Ford was running a $200.00 tune-up special you can rest assured you will pay much more by the time they are done. If I understand correctly it is a design flaw where the spark plug threads are longer than the head casting and the threads become covered with carbon or burnt welding them for lack of a better term into the head. Even if you do get them loose you will most likely ruin the threads in the head. And we should have to pay for this why???????

- , New Concord, Ohio, USA

Jul 012011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I can't believe Ford has not issued a recall for this problem. It's unacceptable to have this much expense incurred for new spark plugs. I'll think twice before buying another Ford Truck!

- , Granville, NY, USA

Aug 202010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Ford uses faulty parts. These parts fail. Ford techs break off plug attempting to repair. The customer has to not only pay for the faulty part repair, but also charged for the tech's inability to repair their own merchandise. Then the customer is forced to buy the same faulty equipment again! Ford makes the mistakes and their customers have to pay and pay again for their mistakes, their inability to train their own techs and their decision not to correct an issue they have full knowledge has design flaws. This is my last ford.

- , Ona, WV, USA