2006 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 092016

Power steering hose rust and leaking-transmission hoses rusted and leaking - spark plug breaking off when having them replaced

- Eccles, WV, USA

Jul 012015

Steering became intermittently stiff while driving. Truck had about 80000 miles on it and 9 years old when symptoms started. Stiffness would occur sometimes at highway speeds when I started a lane change, and at slow speeds when I was turning (for instance on community streets). As I was turning it would cycle from hard to regular effort, as would be if a universal joint was going bad. My non-Ford mechanic diagnosed it as a bad lower steering shaft. I inspected the bad shaft and agreed that one universal shaft was tight and the other was extremely tight. $557 repair.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Dec 182015

The steering wheel freezes up in cold weather. My mechanic diagnosed a failed lower steering column that is exposed to roadway splash and corrosion. This is also a telescoping section of the steering column designed to protect the driver in case of frontal crash. So overnite it freezes up and slowly loosens. While driving becomes stif and results in difficult steering. 45,000 miles on odometer.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Feb 272016

Drove F-150 normally during week. On weekend morning while pulling out of driveway steering wheel suddenly and sporadically began resisting effort to turn causing truck to sway unpredictably during turns. Resisting driver input. Was too dangerous to drive. After reviewing blogs online I realized a lot of other people who drive this era F-150 have the same problem. It turns out the lower steering column shaft containing the U-joints uses defective materials or has bad design. The U-joints are binding up during driving causing the driver to lose partial control over direction of vehicle. Temporary fix may be to spray with anti-corrosive spray, then lubricating spray, which I did. This lasts only a short time so the lower shaft with U-joints must be replaced. Ford knows of the defect for this era F-150 and has redesigned this lower shaft to eliminate the binding. This new design is what they sell you as a replacement, not the original design. If you try to buy one online it costs at least $245 for the O.E.M. part. If you buy one of the 2 aftermarket knockoffs it'll set you back approx $125. The aftermarket shaft advertising touts the fact that it has a design that will not bind like the original Ford shaft does. This truck had approx 69,700 miles on it when the shaft began binding up.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 152015

Last week I started noticing my steering starting to get stiff and the wheel does not recenter after a steer to the left or right. Ive had to do some quick muscling to recenter the wheel. I've just finished researching some other Ford forums for this vehicle and many owners have reported the same issue with the U joints on the steering column rusting or seizing. I will try spraying some anti seize on the U joints tommorow until I can get it to a truck has approximately 103,000 miles on it. This is dangerous and with the amount of complaints on this it should be recalled by Ford to correct.

- Torrington, CT, USA

Nov 292015

Last week truck suddenly became very hard to turn going around corners. Steering wheel locked up and I almost went over an embankment. Hit or miss so I never know when it will go out. Thankfully did not have my 2 young children! a week later (11/29/15), truck suddenly starts to violently shake if I go over 50 mph! scared the dickens out of me! hoping to limp it to a dealership and trade it in. Not safe for me to drive. I have put 20K miles on it in 2 years and has been regularly serviced. What gives"!"

- Grove City, OH, USA

Nov 272015

My steering started to bind while driving. Could not make full right or left turns. Very unsafe. The truck has left than 30,000 miles. Rarely driven.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Sep 152015

While my vehicle was in the shop for a four wheel alignment the mechanic noted that the U-joint in intermediate steering shaft is going bad and therefore the reason there is some play in the steering wheel. Cost to repair is going to be approximately $700

- Tripoli, IA, USA

Sep 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving 35 mph and coming to a complete stop, the rear driver side tire separated and rolled into traffic. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear rotor and studs failed and needed to be tightened. The contact also stated that he had to also replace the steering rack and pinion due to the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000.

- Reeding, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Front end bushings deterioration - replacement cost estimate $750

- Margate, FL, USA

Feb 022015

Ford's iwe solenoid has a tendency to malfunction due to a poor design. Tsb 06-8-15 was issued to replace these solenoids, but only if there was a problem and only if it was giving a problem. My vehicle was in storage for 5 years and after it was brought out and to NY, the water leaked on the solenoid due to the inadequate design, causing the iwe's to malfunction. I still don't know what exactly it did but driving the car down the road, it caused me to feel like I was driving over small speed bumps with the front drivers side tire. I'm afraid that if this failed at a high rate of speed it could cause the iwe to engage and possibly lock up one of the front tires.

- Hobart, NY, USA

Dec 192014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Noticed steering wheel very hard to turn. Checked power steering fluid which was ok. Researched problem online and found dozens of similar complaints reported on Ford customer forums and elsewhere online mentioning that the U-joint(s) on the lower steering shaft possibly rust and corrode and become very stiff. When turning corners wheel does not readily recenter itself. Fearful that steering joints could fail, seize or break resulting in a complete loss of steering and serious injury or death. Saw that Ford redesigned the steering shaft after 2006 and the new Ford part looks much different than the original shaft in my 2006 truck. Sprayed some penetrating oil on both U-joints yesterday and steering was noticeably much easier within 5 minutes. Then sprayed some liquid wrench lubricating oil (lightweight aerosol oil) on both joints and drove the truck. Steering was like new and steering wheel easy to turn. Do not know however if this "oiling fix" will last. Ford is aware of this issue as they redesigned the steering shaft/U-joints and had hundreds of complaints. Defect in design of critical steering component, Ford is aware and redesigned steering shaft and U-joints. Note: Other customers with non-Ford vehicles and Ford vehicles other than the F-150 have reported numerous similar complaints.

- Slinger, WI, USA

Oct 012014

My steering wheel is stiff. And hard to turn the mechanic said it is a recalled rack and pinion.

- Marlboro , NY, USA

Sep 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel shook violently without warning. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the tires needed to be replaced and aligned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,270.

- Port Arthur, TX, USA

May 292014

F-150 8-cyl

At very low mileage I cannot understand why I was hearing a whining noise that appeared from coming the rear of my truck. I was advised that the gears were breaking down and should be replaced. The gear and pinion were replaced. Seems to be fixed. Again at 57814 miles?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 152013

F-150 8-cyl

Driving with my 2 kids on us 23 I felt the steering get tight. Stopped check everything looked good. Started back driving and road curved to left as I was driving it did not want to turn back to the right. All most causing to hit a vehicle head on. Finally got back to the house and done some research and figured out it was lower steering shaft.

- Pikeville , KY, USA

May 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel difficult to turn and causing the vehicle to lose control and drive into on coming traffic nearly causing a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and diagnosed that a lower joint in the steering column shaft seized. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Newark Valley, NY, USA

Mar 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F150. The contact stated that the steering wheel became unstable while driving at an unknown speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer multiple times. The diagnosis was to replace the steering shaft. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Edinburg, PA, USA

Jan 232014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph the power steering failed without warning. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to her residence. The failure was not diagnosed by a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximately failure mileage was 154,618.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Aug 052013

F-150 8-cyl

My 2006 Ford F150 FX4 has stalled on the highway at two different times in the last 9,000 miles. I am driving at normal speeds, with normal weather conditions, half tank of gas, and I was coasting as highway speeds slowed - as I went to hit the accelerator to speed up, I lost the ability to accelerate. First the wrench dash light came on, then I noticed steering was slightly difficult and then the battery and transmission light came on. I got the vehicle to the side of the road, but I did not lose headlights, radio, heat, or power. I turned the truck off and waited 2 minutes, then it started back up - a little difficult on the starter, but it worked. I have read numerous chat forums online with users having this same issue with 2006 V8's in the F150. What is Ford doing about this" my vehicle has been meticulously maintained and cared for. From what I read this is a fuel pump control panel issue with corrosion of dissimilar metals - where is the recall"

- Wilmington, DE, USA