8.5

1. replace both cam phasers (5 reports)
  2. replaced engine (2 reports)
2008 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford F-150:

2008 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Nov 282013

F-150 5.4L Triton

Should be happy to be stuck down here on the beach....on vacation my 2008 Ford F150 5.4 L Triton, started acting up. Took it to the local mechanic.......long story short...

VCT Soleniod, timing cover gasket, tensioner, cam phaser all replaced,,,problem still exists. They say engine is only running on the passenger side.......no power, and still ticking. Bought the truck used in Feb. 2013, it has 64000 miles on it currently.

The mechanic place basically gave up, did not know what else to do with the truck. They helped me take it to the dealership. I will post another complaint in a few days I'm sure with possible news of having to get a new engine....

First time with Ford, and will be my last.......

- , Paris, Kentucky, USA

Jun 012013

F-150 FX4 5.4L Ffv V8

It has had a tick since we bought it. The check engine light cam on a few months ago while my son was driving it and it was dying on him. We though we were giving him a reliable $40,000 vehicle but it turns out we need a new engine. The cam phasers have broken along with the plastic, yes plastic, timing guides and metal have ended up in the engine and oil pan. We cannot afford a new engine so we have a piece of scrap metal sitting in our driveway right now. Of course when I called the Ford dealership they said they have not heard of this problem but when you research it online it's all over. I have called and emailed Ford but I am sure they will say there is nothing they can do. Also, there is no recall on it from what I can see. I have also put a complaint in to the national recall place. I am really at a loss of what else to do. My son just got a job for the summer and now we only have my car, Chevy, for us to get around.

- , Mansfield, TX, USA

Apr 172013

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Sounds like a couple others I have heard here, when I slow down my F150 rattles pretty hard and cuts out sometimes.

Had plugs and wires replaced, fuel filter replaced and problem got no better so dealer tells me that Ford has this problem with oil not getting to the top end of the motor and damaging the cam shafts and that I would need to replace the engine at a cost of approx. $5,000 because would eventually fail.

The whole story changed when I told them I have an extended warranty then It was they would have to prove the engine was bad and that I would have to drive in with the problem to start a case.

So not sure if Ford or extended warranties are bullsh**.

- , Blair, NE, USA

Sep 032012

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought a 2007 F150 in June .I loved driving this truck. In early Sept. I drove it to St. Louis and the the truck preformed great. When I got home it started ticking badly. My local mechanic told me that the Cam Phasers were going bad and that Ford had had this issue since 2004. i took the Truck to my local Ford dealer and the first words that I heard from the Service Rep. were ( Oh you have one of those Sh*tty Motor) and we will have to replace it. Ford will not own up to a badly designed motor.

- , Hallsville, Missouri, USA

Dec 232011

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton

thats just half of the problem. but as they say one issue per.

- , Hixson, TN, USA

Aug 092011

F-150 XL 5.4L V8

This problem started probably about 2 years ago. The truck would rattle and idle rough but when you accelerated, it would stop. Replaced the Cam positioning sensors and it started running fine again. A couple of months ago it came back with a vengeance. Took it to a mechanic (will never go to him again) who said it was the timing chain. Spent $1300.00 in parts (timing chains, tensioners,variable timing control solenoids) and labor. Got it back and it still runs like crap. I go to slow down at a red light and the engine starts rattling and shaking until you gun it and sometimes stalls out. After doing some research on the internet, we determine that it's the cam phasers. Dealership wants around $1500 to fix it. We are going to do it ourselves for about $600. The dealer acknowledged that this was a common problem.

- , Markham, Texas, USA

Nov 222010

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I was told this needed fixed so I did. In less than 30 days it started "rattling" again.

- , Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Apr 152010

F-150 F150 5.4L

If ford wants to be on top they need to step up in the quality dept. buying cheap sh*t and putting them in $38000 vehicle is f*cking crazy. Im a hardcore ford guy this is disappointing. Having something in your engine go bad under 30000 miles is damn joke

- , Bono, AR, USA