2010 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 262014

F-150 8-cyl

Turned defrost on rear power slider window and heard a loud explosion like a gunshot and the rear window on passenger side shattered. There are small pieces of glass in the bed of the truck and on the back seat. Temperatures were in the mild 30S at the time. This was a problem with the defrost causing the glass to shatter. Ford will not cover repairs or replacement of the glass. Mileage less than 30,000 miles. Truck also covered under extended maintenance plan but Ford will not cover it there either.

- Derby, VT, USA

May 032014

F-150 8-cyl

I was pumping gas 50 degrees out and drivers side back window blew.

- Novi, MI, USA

Apr 152014

Driver side pane of 3-paned rear window spider web cracked throughout the entire thing, from rear defrost overheating. While taping window up, I could feel tiny shards of glass falling off and sometimes cutting me.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 302014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving my 2010 Ford FX4 when I heard a pop from the rear. The back right rear window glass had "spider-webbed" and slightly shatter with glass falling from it.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Dec 242013

Approx 8:30 am temp near 20 degrees F. light snow falling. I turned my heated rear window and mirrors on. After 5 minutes of heating I smelled burning electrical components and then a loud "pop" noise from the rear of the cab. I immediately pulled to the side of the road and noticed that the passenger side of the three piece slider was completely shattered but in place. I called my local Ford dealership and they told me that glass breakage wasn't covered under any warranties especially at almost 90,000 miles. I did purchase the platinum extended warranty through Ford when new. After paying for the entire window and install myself... the local glass company installer stated that this was somewhat common with these trucks and they have replaced a few. I now don't use the heated windows/mirrors in fear of an expensive repair bill.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Dec 202012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the rear passenger's side window became shattered without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure had occurred once before. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 31,000.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Mar 182014

F-150 8-cyl

The rear window defroster on my power sliding rear window caused the driver side rear window glass to shatter while the vehicle was warming up in my driveway. The defroster had been in operation only 2-3 minutes when a loud bang was heard while I was re-entering the vehicle. I looked for impact damage to the roof, tailgate, etc but nothing seemed unusual, and there were no other people in the vicinity. The damage was not readily visible until I returned to the vehicle in the afternoon, got in, and looked in the rear view mirror time: 4:30am weather conditions: 28 degrees, clear sky, light frost on windows, no precipitation in prior 48 hours. An auto glass installer and a body shop owner both confirmed no sign of any impact damage. A brief internet search of Ford owner's forums revealed multiple owners experiencing shattered glass, melted window frames etc. When using the rear defroster on 2010 F-150 trucks with power sliding rear window. At lease four of these incidents have taken place in the past three months. (Jan-Mar. 2014).

- Hammond, IN, USA

Mar 112014

F-150 8-cyl

For no apparent reason, the rear window has shattered.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Feb 182014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the rear window suddenly shattered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Garden City, MO, USA

Nov 112013

F-150 8-cyl

This a double entry complaint: I was driving home from work late at night when I heard a bang off the rear window of my F-150. As I was passing under an active railroad viaduct at the time I figured something had fallen off and hit me. I wasn't able to determine any damage at the time as it was very dark in a poorly lit section of freeway in downtown detroit. The next day I walked out to my truck and noticed the rear window on the passenger side looked funny. I got in my seat and noticed the window was shattered. The only thing holding it together was the heater element and the privacy glass film (both factory installed). I filed the usual insurance claim and had it repaired. This past Saturday (15 Feb 2014) I walked out to my truck to head to work, got in and saw that the drivers side of the rear window was now shattered. It was fine when I parked it after work. Backed into my usual parking spot with no trees above the vehicle, too snowy and cold for kids to be playing outside in the lot or field behind the truck. Now working with insurance to have this one repaired.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 182014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I allowed my car to warm up. It was approximately 28 degrees outside. I began to drive my car. I engaged the rear defroster. Within 60 seconds I heard a loud bang, similar to a gun shot. Along with a smell of smoke. Then glass went flying towards the front of vehicle. After looking around I noticed the rear window was shattered. The rear window consists of three pieces of glass. Only the passenger (far right side) was shattered. Luckily, there was no people sitting in the back seat at the time. Took it to the Ford dealership, they said the Ford company has not addressed the issue. I was told numerous F150's have had similar problems. Ford refuses to cover repairs.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 072014

While driving to work last Friday morning, my rear glass exploded from what looks like a faulty defroster. The electrical wiring was charred and looked melted. I thought that my vehicle had been struck by something. Ford refuses to acknowledge that there seems to be a problem with this part. I'm just glad that my children were not in the backseat area when this occurred.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Feb 062014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving home from work the other day, about 5 minutes after I left the parking lot I was driving on a side road and heard a loud thump or bang like something fell on the roof. However I was on an open road with nothing overhead or nearby. In the summer of 2012 my wife reported similar circumstances one night while she was on a trip, and she later discovered the right rear window had shattered (we had it replaced at an auto glass shop without reporting the problem). When I looked in the rearview mirror, I could see the same thing had happened; the passenger-side section of the rear glass was completely shattered (but remained in the frame). There was no discernible origin; very even cracking throughout all the pane of glass. The rear window defroster was engaged at the time. I have duct tape holding the glass in place and a dealer appointment next Tuesday morning.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Jan 302014

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he heard a loud sound coming from the rear seat. The contact soon realized that the rear window had exploded without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 41,900. Updated 3/14/14 the consumer stated the driver's side section of the 3 section rear window exploded into hundreds, if not more pieces. Updated 04/01/14

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 302014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving my 2010 F-150 pickup down the street doing 35 mph with the rear window defroster on and after about 5 minutes, pow! the passenger side of the 3-piece window shattered after the loud explosion. After speaking with our local glass repair shop, he stated that he had already replaced 4 of these specific rear windows during the month of January. Seems to be a pattern going on here. There needs to be a recall on these windows!

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Feb 032014

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving on a major state route on my way to work and turned on the rear defroster. I smelled something hot and then a loud popping noise. When I looked in my rear view mirror the rear window had shattered. Contacted Ford dealer and they said the vehicle was out of warranty 3 months and there was nothing they could do. I asked the dealership to contact Ford to see if there were similar instances of this happening. They did not but gave me the phone number for the Ford complaint office. I researched online and it seems that this has happened multiple times with this model of truck. Because the highway I drive is a major truck route it could have been very dangerous not being able to see out the rear window.

- Marysville, OH, USA

Jan 292014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the rear passenger's side window became shattered. The contact took the vehicle to an auto glass specialist where it was advised that the entire rear window needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Jan 232014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph over train tracks, the rear window shattered. The contact took the vehicle to a auto glass shop to have the rear window replaced. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jan 242014

F-150 8-cyl

I started my truck in the driveway to warm it up. When it reached operating temperature, I turned on the rear window defroster before pulling out. Still in the driveway, after 20 seconds I heard an extremely loud 100+ db pop, which was the passenger-side back glass panel shattering. The temperature outside was 32 deg F (0 deg C) with some frozen precipitation on the upper surface of the truck. There are 27 complaints on the NHTSA site for the 2010 F150 and I found more than 50 additional cases on internet bulletin boards.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 152014

F-150 8-cyl

While driving home from work on 1/15/14, I decided to use my rear window defrost due to the temperature (42 degrees) and the build up of condensation. I turned it on for about 10 minutes until the glass was clear. It took me approximately 30 minutes to drive home where I parked my truck inside my garage. I left about 1 hour later and while looking in my rear view mirror I noticed the sliding window shattered on the passenger side. After returning home I contacted safelite and scheduled to have it replaced through my insurance company. When the repairman came out he realized he had the wrong replacement and was going to order it through Ford. He also advised me the window damage started at the connection point of the defrost. After further investigation on-line I realized I am not the only one with this problem. There are many F-150 owners that had the same thing happen to them with some being the glass actually exploded and some with arcing or fire. Most of the issues were on 2010 F-150's with some newer models as well and all were on the passenger side slider window. Most of the cases I read about on-line were paid out by the vehicle owners and insurance agencies. There were some cases were Ford paid the bill. I feel this should definitely be looked into on the safety aspect alone and Ford should be held accountable.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA