2010 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 202013

F-150 8-cyl

Early morning left it running with heater and front defroster on. Ten minutes later I entered the veh & noticed that I had not activated the back defoggers. (I rarely use the back window defogger since I generally park indoors and to be honest I was not entirely sure where the button was located). I remained in the vehicle with the doors closed and the vehicle remained in park (not in gear). I a few moments passed when I heard a loud sound not unlike the noise made by a 22 caliber rifle shot. My truck is a F150 lariat w/crew cab w/ 3 piece window where the center section opens. All three window sections have defogger wires embedded within the glass. It was difficult to see what had happen due to the early hour and fogged windows but the far right (passenger side) back glass panel had literally shattered as tempered glass does. It maintained its surface and did not fall away thanks to the factory tint-coating. I'm told by the dealer this will cost over $900 to fix. I've talked to several glass companies. This is a well known problem that Ford seems to be unconcerned about. I contacted the dealer and Ford care but any good will seems to be in short supply and I get the impression that they are resisting taking responsibility for this problem to avoid the great responsibility of fixing this design defect in millions of trucks. My last Ford truck had the smoking/burning cruise control problem. I was told that was a random occurrence until I heard on the news about cars burning up due to bad cruise control units. Even then, the recall was years in coming and I ended up fixing that one too, also at my own expense. Is there any form of compensation or assistance available here that I may have missed? my dealer has offered no help and Ford care is worthless. I'd hate to say it but if I end up paying for this out of pocket, my next truck will not be a Ford.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Nov 242014

F-150

Approximately 2-3 minutes after turning on my rear defroster, the passenger side panel of the three panel rear glass shattered. Nothing struck the glass to cause this. Temperature outside was around 36* F, windows were slightly foggy, not covered in frost.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Nov 172014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving into work, had the rear defrost active for roughly 10 minutes. At a stoplight, noticed smoke rising from outside of the rear window. As I proceeded to pull off the road, heard a loud bang and the passenger side rear window proceeded to spiderweb. The gasket for the rear window has been burned on the lower left hand corner (when observed from outside of the vehicle). It is apparent there is an issue with the rear heating element, as observed by the number of identical complaints on this site. I hope that Ford steps up and does something about this before someone actually gets hurt.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 102014

F-150

Passenger side rear window panel shattered with a loud bang when the rear defroster was turned on. There was a large 6 X 4" hole in the window and the balance was spider webbed. There was glass in the back seat and on the tonneau cover.

- Cecil, WI, USA

Oct 182014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While stopped, heard a loud pop followed by the right rear window shattering. No evidence of impact to the outside of the window. Took the car to the Ford dealer, they said they have no idea why it broke, it is not under warranty and will cost over $900 to replace the rear power slider assembly. I contacted Ford: Thank you for your response, sarah. I am not sure how your response relates to my email. The rear window burst with no explanation while the vehicle was stopped, no apparent damage to the exterior of the window was observed. To have that assessed as "operating within Ford specifications" is concerning. I have done some research regarding this issue, and understand that my vehicle is not the only one to have this issue. Due to your (lack) of response, I will be filing a complaint this afternoon with the national transportation safety administration. My name is sarah, I am from Ford`S customer relationship center (crc). I have reviewed your email regarding the concerns on your 2010 Ford F-150. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. In an effort to assist you with this matter, we have contacted skyline Ford. According to their assessment your vehicle is operating within Ford specifications. Your dealership has factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve your concerns. We concur with the dealership's assessment. If you require further explanation or the conditions change, please contact the service manager at the dealership. Sarah customer relationship center Ford Motor Company received: 10/22/2014 5:50 pm I purchased my F150 lariat on September 13, 2014. On October 18, 2014 while stopped, the right rear window of the power slider assembly popped and shattered. We could see no exterior damage to the window T(glad for the safety glass). Estimated cost $930.

- Salem, OR, USA

Apr 262014

F-150 8-cyl

Turned defrost on rear power slider window and heard a loud explosion like a gunshot and the rear window on passenger side shattered. There are small pieces of glass in the bed of the truck and on the back seat. Temperatures were in the mild 30S at the time. This was a problem with the defrost causing the glass to shatter. Ford will not cover repairs or replacement of the glass. Mileage less than 30,000 miles. Truck also covered under extended maintenance plan but Ford will not cover it there either.

- Derby, VT, USA

May 032014

F-150 8-cyl

I was pumping gas 50 degrees out and drivers side back window blew.

- Novi, MI, USA

Apr 152014

F-150

Driver side pane of 3-paned rear window spider web cracked throughout the entire thing, from rear defrost overheating. While taping window up, I could feel tiny shards of glass falling off and sometimes cutting me.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 302014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving my 2010 Ford FX4 when I heard a pop from the rear. The back right rear window glass had "spider-webbed" and slightly shatter with glass falling from it.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Dec 242013

F-150

Approx 8:30 am temp near 20 degrees F. light snow falling. I turned my heated rear window and mirrors on. After 5 minutes of heating I smelled burning electrical components and then a loud "pop" noise from the rear of the cab. I immediately pulled to the side of the road and noticed that the passenger side of the three piece slider was completely shattered but in place. I called my local Ford dealership and they told me that glass breakage wasn't covered under any warranties especially at almost 90,000 miles. I did purchase the platinum extended warranty through Ford when new. After paying for the entire window and install myself... the local glass company installer stated that this was somewhat common with these trucks and they have replaced a few. I now don't use the heated windows/mirrors in fear of an expensive repair bill.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Dec 202012

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the rear passenger's side window became shattered without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure had occurred once before. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 31,000.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Mar 182014

F-150 8-cyl

The rear window defroster on my power sliding rear window caused the driver side rear window glass to shatter while the vehicle was warming up in my driveway. The defroster had been in operation only 2-3 minutes when a loud bang was heard while I was re-entering the vehicle. I looked for impact damage to the roof, tailgate, etc but nothing seemed unusual, and there were no other people in the vicinity. The damage was not readily visible until I returned to the vehicle in the afternoon, got in, and looked in the rear view mirror time: 4:30am weather conditions: 28 degrees, clear sky, light frost on windows, no precipitation in prior 48 hours. An auto glass installer and a body shop owner both confirmed no sign of any impact damage. A brief internet search of Ford owner's forums revealed multiple owners experiencing shattered glass, melted window frames etc. When using the rear defroster on 2010 F-150 trucks with power sliding rear window. At lease four of these incidents have taken place in the past three months. (Jan-Mar. 2014).

- Hammond, IN, USA

Mar 112014

F-150 8-cyl

For no apparent reason, the rear window has shattered.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Feb 182014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the rear window suddenly shattered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Garden City, MO, USA

Nov 112013

F-150 8-cyl

This a double entry complaint: I was driving home from work late at night when I heard a bang off the rear window of my F-150. As I was passing under an active railroad viaduct at the time I figured something had fallen off and hit me. I wasn't able to determine any damage at the time as it was very dark in a poorly lit section of freeway in downtown detroit. The next day I walked out to my truck and noticed the rear window on the passenger side looked funny. I got in my seat and noticed the window was shattered. The only thing holding it together was the heater element and the privacy glass film (both factory installed). I filed the usual insurance claim and had it repaired. This past Saturday (15 Feb 2014) I walked out to my truck to head to work, got in and saw that the drivers side of the rear window was now shattered. It was fine when I parked it after work. Backed into my usual parking spot with no trees above the vehicle, too snowy and cold for kids to be playing outside in the lot or field behind the truck. Now working with insurance to have this one repaired.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 182014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I allowed my car to warm up. It was approximately 28 degrees outside. I began to drive my car. I engaged the rear defroster. Within 60 seconds I heard a loud bang, similar to a gun shot. Along with a smell of smoke. Then glass went flying towards the front of vehicle. After looking around I noticed the rear window was shattered. The rear window consists of three pieces of glass. Only the passenger (far right side) was shattered. Luckily, there was no people sitting in the back seat at the time. Took it to the Ford dealership, they said the Ford company has not addressed the issue. I was told numerous F150's have had similar problems. Ford refuses to cover repairs.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 072014

F-150

While driving to work last Friday morning, my rear glass exploded from what looks like a faulty defroster. The electrical wiring was charred and looked melted. I thought that my vehicle had been struck by something. Ford refuses to acknowledge that there seems to be a problem with this part. I'm just glad that my children were not in the backseat area when this occurred.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Feb 062014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving home from work the other day, about 5 minutes after I left the parking lot I was driving on a side road and heard a loud thump or bang like something fell on the roof. However I was on an open road with nothing overhead or nearby. In the summer of 2012 my wife reported similar circumstances one night while she was on a trip, and she later discovered the right rear window had shattered (we had it replaced at an auto glass shop without reporting the problem). When I looked in the rearview mirror, I could see the same thing had happened; the passenger-side section of the rear glass was completely shattered (but remained in the frame). There was no discernible origin; very even cracking throughout all the pane of glass. The rear window defroster was engaged at the time. I have duct tape holding the glass in place and a dealer appointment next Tuesday morning.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Jan 302014

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he heard a loud sound coming from the rear seat. The contact soon realized that the rear window had exploded without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 41,900. Updated 3/14/14 the consumer stated the driver's side section of the 3 section rear window exploded into hundreds, if not more pieces. Updated 04/01/14

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 302014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving my 2010 F-150 pickup down the street doing 35 mph with the rear window defroster on and after about 5 minutes, pow! the passenger side of the 3-piece window shattered after the loud explosion. After speaking with our local glass repair shop, he stated that he had already replaced 4 of these specific rear windows during the month of January. Seems to be a pattern going on here. There needs to be a recall on these windows!

- Brooklyn, MI, USA