2010 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 082013

F-150

I have 2010 Ford F150 FX4. I have 36000 miles on it and am the original. Bought it new from dealership. Today I was towing my horse trailer with 2 horses in it and came through the residential area near the barn. Speed limit is 30 miles an hour and I was doing 25 and was actually braking to slow it down to 20. I heard a weird engine noise and suddenly the truck surged and took off. We hit almost 50 miles an hour in this residential 2 lane road in a matter of seconds and I was standing on the brakes with both feet. My friend in the truck was downshifting (automatic) for me in an attempt to slow engine down. We managed to get it to 2nd and with me standing on brakes we were able to keep it at 40 mph. Neutral had no effect and rpms way too high for first gear-every time I slightly lifted my foot of the brakes slightly, we surged to 50 and the truck kept trying to go faster. Nothing we tried could get it to stop, slow or return to normal. We tried neutral and nothing happened. It was not the floor mat or the tow feature. Did not have speed control on. Scariest ride of my life and with two horses behind me. I was prepared to hit a tree or rock wall as we were running out of road. I was terrified of jack knifing. We finally hit an incline for a hill and we slammed it into neutral again, pulled the emergency brake and shut off the engine when we got to the top. Think my brakes completely burned out and smoke was coming from my engine. Numerous people that we had terrified pulled over with us once we got the runaway truck stopped. Called tow truck and had towed to dealership and will see what they say tomorrow. I shudder to think what could have happened had someone pulled onto the road in front of us or a deer stepped out. I am terrified of this truck now.

- Larkspur, CO, USA

May 022013

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F150. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the brakes locked and the calipers were red. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Mabelvale, AR, USA

Dec 122012

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal but the brakes would not respond. The transmission disengaged as the vehicle began rolling backward. The contact shifted to park and was able to stop the vehicle and shut the engine off. After restarting, the contact was able to operate the vehicle without failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 1/15/13 the consumer stated the problem did not recur and could not be duplicated and wished to withdraw his complaint. Updated 01/17/13

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Nov 052012

F-150

While breaking to make right hand turn engine stalled. First indication was truck was impossible to steer. I was able to stop truck in the middle of the intersection. At a higher speed this would have been deadly. Ford dealer claimed to have never heard of the problem even though an internet search shows thousands of such incidents, many of them reported to this Agency. Dealer was unable to find a cause, although the manager said it was likely the throttle body but he could not replace a part under warranty unless it was positively known to be defective. I was sent on my way to risk my life in an unsafe vehicle.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 022012

F-150

Brake warning light failed to illuminate during two complete brake failures. Dealership confirmed that master cylinder failed causing loss of brake pressure. Dealership says that new brake warning system installed on MY10 F150 is not triggered by pressure loss, but rather only by significant fluid loss in the reservoir. I lost brake pressure and did not receive any warning that something was wrong. In fact, when I was losing brake power, I was staring right at the dashboard and no warning light illuminated during either brake failure. Ford knows there is a problem with the master cylinder as they have issued a tsb for it. There are many people driving F150S that may lose complete braking control and have no advance warning that something will go wrong due to the new brake warning system that Ford has installed on the vehicle. The master cylinder and/or linkage can fail causing immediate pressure loss before a significant amount of fluid loss triggers the warning. By that time, it is too late. The driver has already lost control of the vehicle. This is an extremely dangerous situation that requires NHTSA intervention before someone is needlessly killed.

Jun 292012

F-150 8-cyl

Complete loss of braking power upon backing out of garage - twice! after the first time, the tow truck mechanic refilled brake fluid levels and parked truck back in garage. A few hours later, I tried backing the truck out of the garage and again did not have any braking power and again the brake fluid was low. There were no leaks found on the garage floor. In neither case did the brake warning lights indicate that there was a problem! during both incidents, I had absolutely no braking power. (this is an update to record 10463925 to correct the incident date)

Jul 022011

F-150 8-cyl

Complete loss of braking power upon backing out of the garage - twice! after the first time, the tow truck mechanic refilled brake fluid levels and parked truck back in garage. A few hours later, I tried backing the truck out of the garage and again did not have any braking power! again the brake fluid was low, although there were no leaks found anywhere on the garage floor. Furthermore, none of the warning indicator lights appeared to let me know that the brake fluid was low during either incident. During both incidents I had absolutely no braking power. The truck is now at the dealership and I am waiting for their response. Please contact me at the telephone number (rather than email) below to discuss.

May 212012

F-150 8-cyl

Engine stalls at low speeds causing loss of steering and braking. There was no check engine light or error code when this first occurred. After the engine had stalled for about 32-35 times, the check engine light finally came on. I took the truck to a local mechanic shop to read the code which indicated that the evap system was blocked. My dealer determined that a solenoid in the fuel evap. System had failed. As a result the fuel tank was collapsed by vacuum because there was no secondary tank vent. This is dangerous! there should be a secondary vent or a pressure/vacuum sensor to prevent the tank from being collapsed. Note: The tank was collapsed so much so, as to damage the pump/level sending unit assembly.

- Lake, MS, USA