2010 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 032016

F-150

Braking system failing, ever since I drove it off the lot after purchase from dealership June 2015, I told them something was wrong with braking system, they say oh no new brakes. I put brand new brakes calipers rotors and pressure hoses on my truck. Every 1800 miles or less braking system is failing, every 1800 mile or less replacing pads and rotors. My pads are wearing so quickly and eating through rotors. As soon as I put new ones on theres brake dust instantly and always. Sometimes truck is braking on its own when not accelerating when I coasting vehicle. I have tried taking it to dealer they say nothing is wrong with it. I have had it for over a year now and it still continues to happen. Something is seriously wrong with this braking system.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jul 252016

F-150

My vehicle stop without warning. Had a $800 dollar tune-up. It has stopped several times since tune-up.I took it to two dealers they said they could not find any codes indicating their was a problem. It cuts off as I come to a stop or when I slow down to make a turn at slow speeds on city streets.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Aug 212016

F-150

I was pulling onto an undivided two lane hwy. And was accelerating up to speed. The vehicle, without any type of warning, applied the brakes by itself causing it to veer hard left and pulling the truck into the oncoming traffic lane. The indicator light for traction control flashed on and off in the instrument panel and you could hear the ABS deploying. Lucky there was no one behind me or coming towards me. Very dangerous situation and quite frightening for my family. We live in a rural community and the dealership is over 50 miles away in one direction. Concerned about safely being able to get it in for diagnostics.

- Pacific City, OR, USA

Aug 012013

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While at a stop light with the brake pedal depressed, the contact had to apply extreme force to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on multiple occasions, but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bluefield, VA, USA

Mar 212016

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While attempting to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle took a long time to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 262016

F-150

The front brakes were not releasing. As I traveled around town completing some errands I smelt the brakes burning. When I returned home I discovered my calipers was not releasing. I have replaced the front rotors, brake lines and calipers.

- Walterboro, SC, USA

Apr 082016

F-150

Since December of 2015 we have had to replace brakes rotors and calipers 5 times. Brakes are eating into rotors in less then 800, miles. This is both sides front. Ford: The complete caliper assembly, bracket (anchor plate), brake pads, rotors and clips needs to be replaced due to sticking or binding of front brake caliper.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 102016

F-150

Traveling at 45 mph on a highway I applied brakes to slow down when the brake fluid level warning light came on. Brake pedal went all the way to the floor before slowing the vehicle, had to downshift and apply the emergency brake. Towed vehicle to the dealer where it was determined the master cylinder failed drawing brake fluid into the power brake booster. No visible sign of a brake fluid leak. Master cylinder and power brake booster must be replaced. Vehicle has 80,000 miles. Sounds like the same problem in a recall on 2014-15 F150 but no such recall for the 2010 F150.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 152016

F-150

Brake pads are not lasting more than one year and is losing brake fluid.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 292015

F-150

About 6:30 pm was driving home on I695 about 65 mph and my brakes failed I hit the brakes and I had no brakes went all the way to the floor I could not stop my truck. My front left wheel was smoking so I almost hit 2 cars trying to get over I had to run off the road to get my truck to stop. I want to know if anyone else had a problem with there brakes

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 232015

F-150

After the truck sits for eight to 10 hours, when I start it up I have a very hard brake pedal and no brakes. This happens when I back out of the garage on a slight decline. If I stand on the brake with both feet it eventually begins to work. There were no dashboard warnings before I pulled out of the garage. This failure was very frightening. Imagine the feeling of no brakes! omg! I was headed for the neighbor's yard and big tree! I plan to pursue repair of this with my local service people. My research narrowed to an "electric vacuum assist pump" issue being investigated by the nhtsb which sounds exactly like what's happened to me.

- Lake Elmo, MN, USA

Mar 112015

F-150

While backing out of a driveway I initially had no brakes until I pushed the brake pedal excessively hard. Once the brakes started to work they were fine. Seems to happen shortly after starting the truck. This has happened several times since.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Oct 012014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the front brake pads froze to the rotors causing the caliper to separate. The failure damaged the pistons and caused brake fluid to leak from the master cylinder. The contact was able to engage the emergency brake. The vehicle was towed to the local mechanic and the brake calipers, pads, and rotors were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Moorehead, MN, USA

Feb 032011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While breaking to stop at an intersection the truck unintentionally accelerates and will not stop. The ABS brake pulsations continued walking the F150 into the intersection as the engine rpms climbes. I put it in neutral, the engine revves very high, I released the brake and then slammed it back down. The rpms drop to normal and the truck stoppes. It has done this once every year since 2011. It shows no trouble codes and won't do it for the Ford service technicians.

- Gunnison, CO, USA

Aug 182014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Just after starting the engine the truck was driven out of the driveway and at the first press of the brakes the vehicle was not stopping. After bearing down on the pedal with full force vehicle came to a stop. Brake warning appeared in the digital message center and the ABS light came on. I pumped the brakes and a very tight pedal indicated the vacuum assist had failed. I also could hear a hissing sound at the press of the pedal. I restarted the engine and pulled the vacuum line off the booster and the distinct vacuum pop was present. I began removing the booster, I then realized brake fluid had leaked out of the rear of the master cylinder and into the booster. I believe the corrosive properties of the brake fluid ruptured the diaphragm inside the booster. There was about 5 oz. Of fluid inside the booster. I ordered and replaced the booster and the master cylinder. This is too new of a vehicle for a brake system failure. Someone is going to be killed if this issue is not corrected.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Aug 292014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My Ford F150 XLT was parted in my drive way, last driven at 9.00am on 8/29/2014. The vehicle was engaged in park, steering wheel locked and key fully with drawn. At around 5.00pm vehicle took off itself with out driver went down the street and hit another parked vehicle causing big damages to that vehicle and as well to Ford 150 that I own. I have several evidence of people around my street watching this happening. My purpose of this complain is: 1. to find out whether there is recall on this vehicle, and Ford hasn't informed the customers 2. the dealership san leandro Ford in ca 94577 didn't respond my compliant- my request was to find if there is recall on the vehicle. 3. my big concern is for public safety, whether this vehicle has factory and has tendency take off when fully parked and disengaged. I believe we were just lucky it didn't hit children playing on the street or didn't run in to some one's house. 4. I really beg your organization to quickly investigate, because this defect can cause serious accidents and deaths 5. we have several pictures and videos for evidence, taken by people in the neighborhood.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Aug 202014

F-150 8-cyl

Shifted from park to reverse, felt a pop but figured I drove over a pot hole. (nothing being me) put into drive, made intimidate right turn onto street, tried to slow down at light and brake peddle went straight to floor. Pumped it several times to slow down to a complete stop. Truck is still under 69K miles. (with 34K since last major service). Looked under truck and saw nothing, --> no warning systems or lights on <-- went to dashboard and ran the Ford system check - it said "brake system ok" figured must have been air or something would check on it when I got home. Back into drive turned corner attempted to stop at stop light same issue only worse, figured I would have to baby it to a shop. Dash system still no warnings or brake notifications, thought maybe I'm low on brake fluid will check at home. Going 5 mph now, just a block away from home, attempted to pre-slow down to stop sign, fail just kept going - lucky no one was there. Pulled straight into home used E-brake to stop in-front of neighbors house. Brake system check again said "brake system ok" no brakes, looked under struck - rear drivers side brake fluid all over and pouring out. Wasn't able to find leak or cut or broken hose, maybe a link between hose and connector is bad or something else. Will have to check with Ford further. For now - seems like a defect having a brake warning system that doesn't detect pressure or brake fluid levels. Even running the check returns brake system ok on dashboard - even when there are no brakes.

- Ontario, OR, USA

May 302014

F-150 8-cyl

I was traveling along interstate-10 when I detected a the odor of what I thought was brake pads burning. As I pulled over to the side of the road the front end of my truck didn't respond as it normally would turning and I thought my brakes were locking up. I came to a complete stop and put my flashers on and exited my vehicle to inspect my front end. When I approached the front drivers side tire I could smell the something burning and I could feel and extreme amount of heat coming from the tire well area. I noticed the brake calipers were smoking and when I reached down and touched my wheel rim it was so hot it burnt my hand. I later jacked up the front of my truck to inspect caliper and found it completely locked up and wheel would not turn at all. I had to call for assistance and get it to a shop where I found out that there was a tsb Ford put out. I feel like my life was put in danger because I was not warned about this tsb and the brake problems Ford is experiencing. I am extremely angry that Ford has not made this problem more widely known and I find it disturbing that I have to search out, on my on, potential life threatening issues with my vehicle. Please do something about this problem.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Oct 232013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F150. The contact stated that the front brake and rotors became worn prematurely. In addition, the rear brake disc was not making contact with the rotors and caused corrosion within the open area. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current failure mileage was 18,000. The consumer stated he purchased the vehicle used. At 12,000 miles, the brakes felt abnormal, as if the vehicle did not want to stop, while in reverse, at 18,000 miles the vehicle was inspected, and it was discovered the outer brake pad was completely worn out, while the inner brake pad had very little wear or contact with the rotor. Updated 01/27/14

- Mineral Point , PA, USA

Sep 082013

F-150

I have 2010 Ford F150 FX4. I have 36000 miles on it and am the original. Bought it new from dealership. Today I was towing my horse trailer with 2 horses in it and came through the residential area near the barn. Speed limit is 30 miles an hour and I was doing 25 and was actually braking to slow it down to 20. I heard a weird engine noise and suddenly the truck surged and took off. We hit almost 50 miles an hour in this residential 2 lane road in a matter of seconds and I was standing on the brakes with both feet. My friend in the truck was downshifting (automatic) for me in an attempt to slow engine down. We managed to get it to 2nd and with me standing on brakes we were able to keep it at 40 mph. Neutral had no effect and rpms way too high for first gear-every time I slightly lifted my foot of the brakes slightly, we surged to 50 and the truck kept trying to go faster. Nothing we tried could get it to stop, slow or return to normal. We tried neutral and nothing happened. It was not the floor mat or the tow feature. Did not have speed control on. Scariest ride of my life and with two horses behind me. I was prepared to hit a tree or rock wall as we were running out of road. I was terrified of jack knifing. We finally hit an incline for a hill and we slammed it into neutral again, pulled the emergency brake and shut off the engine when we got to the top. Think my brakes completely burned out and smoke was coming from my engine. Numerous people that we had terrified pulled over with us once we got the runaway truck stopped. Called tow truck and had towed to dealership and will see what they say tomorrow. I shudder to think what could have happened had someone pulled onto the road in front of us or a deer stepped out. I am terrified of this truck now.

- Larkspur, CO, USA