2011 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 022016

Rear glass window on 2011 F150 with power slider- driver side back quarter glass shattered, while driving. Rear defroster was on. I have researched this issue and have seen many complaints reported online. I am glad my children weren't in the back seat at the time this happened and it stayed in the frame and did not blow out/into the rear vehicle passenger area

- Dover, PA, USA

Jul 042016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 5 mph, the rear driver's window shattered without warning. The dealer stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The contact had the window replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Crivite, WI, USA

May 192016

Warming my truck up to leave for work this morning. Turned on windshield defroster and rear window defroster to remove heavy dew. Rear defroster turned on for about 10 seconds and shut off by it self. While driving I noticed it had turned off, pushed the button again and it did not turn on. About 2 minutes later I heard a loud "pop" and looked in my rear view mirror to see that the right rear window had shattered.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 152016

After rear defrost was activated while driving to work in the morning there was a very loud bang and the drivers side rear window broke and spidered. This occurred on April 15 2016. Temp was about 35 deg F. note rear window was replaced once already in 2013 for the rear defrost not working.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Mar 292016

Rear window shattering due to rear defrost temp in the 30's, started my truck, turned on the front & rear defrost for a few minutes before leaving the driveway. Heard a loud pop from behind me. My drivers side rear window was shattered. I immediately turned off the defrost, and turned off my car. Good thing I hadn't put my child in the car seat before the defroster caused the glass to shatter. I never put the vehicle in gear, stayed stationary.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 272016

Rear passenger window shattered after turning on rear window defrost.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 242016

On March 24, 2016 I started my vehicle and activated rear defrost as there had been some light snow build up. Within a few moments I was traveling down the road at approx 45 mph. About two minutes later I heard a loud bang that sounded like a gun shot. This was a bit startling and my reaction immediately caused me to swerve into the adjacent lane of traffic. I quickly pulled to the side of the road and noticed that the right rear window had shattered. The slider and left side did not break, only the right. This could have turned out much worse had there been a vehicle driving next to me at the time. Very scary experience and potentially very dangerous.

- Two Rivers, WI, USA

Mar 102016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated while entering the vehicle and closing the front driver side door, the rear passenger side window fractured without any impact. The contact informed the dealer, who stated that the window needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Hamelton, MI, USA

Feb 122016

Driving at approximately 40 mph and turned on rear glass defroster. A loud bang was heard and discovered the rear passenger side glass had shattered.

- Mill Creek, WV, USA

Nov 272015

Passenger side rear window exploded due to the window defroster. This seems to be common among F150's with a rear slider window. This happen on the way to work one morning. Speed 35 mph on smooth pavement. There was frost on the window but the light on the defroster was not on. Heard a loud bang and did not immediately notice the broken glass until later in the day when the sun defrosted that glass. No response from Ford customer service

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 152016

I turned on the truck with the remote starter. This is apparently tied into the auto defroster on the back window. As soon as I got in the car and started to drive the back window blew out for no reason. I did a search on the web and apparently this is an extremely common problem. The noise was so loud I actually thought someone shot out my window!!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 032016

My left panel of the rear window is shattered after turning the rear defrost on. Called Ford, they will not replace.

- Joy, IL, USA

Dec 302015

Rear passenger side of rear slider window shattered when operating defroster when approx. 27 deg. F. no impact, but loud gunshot like sound and glass was simply shattered while driving. Luckily the glass didn't separate as I had 3 children in rear in child seats, one rear facing. This appears to be a common problem.

- Washington, IL, USA

Dec 232015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that when the vehicle was turned on and the defrost system for the rear window was activated, the rear window's electric sliding window shattered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Dec 042015

Rear defroster quit working for awhile. Turned on the truck today. It was about 26F outside. I tried to turn on my rear defroster button again. It did not turn on. I was driving down the road about 35-40 mph. Heard a loud bang, noticed my drivers side rear sliding window is now shattered. Called the Ford dealership they had no idea of this happending. Called Ford customer care, they had no idea of this either. It seems like everyone else on the internet knows of this issue except Ford and their dealers.

- West Fargo, ND, USA

Nov 252015

Takata recall I have a 2011 F-150 FX4. Noticed the rear defrost wasn┐T coming on all the time, but it did come on and it must of gotten to hot...driving to work 11/24/15 getting on the freeway I heard a loud noise like something hit my truck on the roof. When I got to work...I looked on the damage. I noticed later that day that the back passenger side window had must of gotten to hot from the defroster. Looking on the internet...there are very many complaints about this problem.

- Plain City, OH, USA

Nov 212015

On cold morning (32 degrees F), frost was present on rear window. Operator turned on rear defrost. After approximately 5 minutes of driving, operator heard a loud bang from rear of vehicle and noticed that rear window was shattered. Upon further inspection there was a slight odor of burning electrical wire and no signs of impact.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Nov 092015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While stopped at a red light, the contact noticed an abnormal odor and the rear passenger side window shattered without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 22,700.

- Leavenworth, PA, USA

Nov 092015

Driving straight on highway with no other vehicles around, back glass spontaneously shattered with no warning and nothing touching it. Suspect an already faulty rear window defroster heating element on power sliding rear pick-up truck window is at partial fault. Smelled of burning electrical in cabin just prior to breakage. Poor window quality and heating element at further fault. Also feel like I had tiny glass particles all over me as well.

- Bayou Vista, TX, USA

Oct 212015

Vehicle parked overnight on city street. Started vehicle in ~45 degree weather and activated rear defrost. Over-current through defrost caused windshield to shatter. Small amounts of smoke were produced, vehicle was turned off.

- Alexandria, VA, USA