2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Sep 222014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Just purchased my vehicle. Then take it in for service for rotors that's are shot with 25K on it. Find out the last guy blew the turbo chargers at 4000 miles N traded it in. The vehicle shudders from take off. Then shifts hard. Also shifts hard from reverse to drive. Noone wants to admits there's problems. Dealers keep says oh its ok. Not true. I want a new vehicle. I just got it. They can shove it. Losses power when it wants to. I plug a charger into the ports the radio goes static. I mean wtf.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Jun 012013

F-150 6-cyl

There is a problem with the engine misfiring at moderate to hard acceleration. This really bothers me. As I have talked with Ford mechanics I have been told that Ford has no fix for this problem. From what I have read and studied, this is a problem with condensation in the intercooler making its way to he injectors. Once you put your foot on the gas pedal to accelerate you experience a sometimes violent stutter and the vehicle not accelerating but instead sounding like it's going to explode. I have also heard this happens when its humid outside. Regardless, one day I'm going to need to accelerate away or from something and the truck is going to fail, causing me to get hit or killed. I have found fixes to the problems including a full race intercooler, plugs and wires, however I don't think I should have to spend over $1000 for something Ford released knowing it wasn't ready, or up to par. I've owned my vehicle for over a year now and its 0% better even using top octane fuel. Please help...

- Palmetto, GA, USA

Sep 042014

F-150 6-cyl

I have a Ford F150 ecoboost. This vehicle is very defective due to loss of power when driving on highway trying to overpass other vehicles..vehicle looses power due to moisture or humidity that enters the intercooler. It also makes the cylinders to misfire and the turbo. Due to that engine turns on and I have to power to my vehicle while driving which can cause an accident due to a sudden slow in the middle of the highway.. I have three kids and I wouldn't want any accidents happening due to this.. Ford needs to do something about this vehicles I lost my money on a worthless piece of you know.im very disappointed because I've spend so much money on repairs are not working.

- PeŅItas, TX, USA

Sep 122014

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at about 45 mph there was a total loss of power. The engine continued to run but missing badly. Coasted off the road, stopped and when ignition was turned off and restarted the problem corrected itself. This has happened 2 times in the past two weeks. The dealer won't do anything because there is no error code recorded. This condition could be dangerous in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Nov 152013

F-150

Traveling freeway speed, inside lane, sudden and complete loss of engine power, orange check engine (wrench) appears on display. Got to roadside, appeared to go into limp mode. Truck moved at own (slow) speed, I had zero throttle control. Exited freeway, shut down and restarted, issue gone. Road conditions were wet, sleet, de-icer on roadway. With traffic all around, on slick roads, this was some scary stuff right there!

- Algona, WA, USA

Jun 292014

F-150 6-cyl

While attempting to pass a slower vehicle on a two lane road, my truck lost all power and the check engine light began blinking. I was in the on-coming travel lane adjacent to the vehicle I was passing when the incident occurred. The incident nearly caused an accident as the vehicle I was passing slowed down when I lost power an I was unable to immediately get over. I coasted with a rough running engine to the shoulder and shut off the engine. When I restarted it a few minutes later it ran a little rough and the check engine light remained on. Research shows that this is a know issue for this make model with the ecoboost engine. The Ford dealership, while having a tsb in place for the issue, did not notify me of the issue and will not cover the cost of the recommended service under either the power-train warranty or my Ford extended warranty (bumper-to-bumper has expired). This is a huge safety issue and this should be a recall from Ford to fix these issues and they apparently will not take the initiative to do so on their own. The incident occurred in southwestern Missouri on a day in which it had been raining off and on.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

May 202013

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate beyond 30 mph. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jun 232014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle shifted from sixth, to third, and finally to second gear on its own. The dealer reprogrammed the vehicle, which remedied the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 9/4/14

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Nov 142012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that it was extremely difficult to shift the vehicle from first to second gear. In addition, the vehicle would shake violently when changing gears and approaching a stop. The dealer updated the PCM twice, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000. Updated 9/4/14 the consumer stated the vehicle had a hard shifting and acceleration issue. The vehicle would hard shift everytime it was driven. It felt as if the vehicle was rearended. The vehicle revs up and stays in acceleration for an extended period of time. The entire truck shakes when going 40-45 miles per hour. Updated 1/5/15

- Appalachia, VA, USA

Jun 272014

F-150

Driving down the highway at 75 mph for an extended period of time in high humidity. Pushed the pedal down to pass a couple trucks going up a mountain and the engine began misfiring and stuttering. There was loss of power and vehicle went into limp mode with flashing check engine light. Failed to passed the trucks causing a dangerous condition by producing unexpected results. This problem is detailed in Ford's tsb 13-8-1. I believe that this is a dangerous condition and a recall should be issued for this condition.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Jun 182014

F-150 6-cyl

2011 F150, 3.5L ecoboost motor, vehicle shudders and loses power during acceleration. Dangerous to try and pass vehicles or even change lanes to pull over as there is power loss from engine. Taken to dealer and they performed Ford tsb 13-08-01. This did not fix the problem. The engine misfire continued, after returning to dealer the vehicle showed code related to same tsb after it had been applied. Dealer cleared code. I have since replaced spark plugs and so far has not recurred. I have seen quite a few reports of this same issues on many Ford F150 forums. I would say Ford really needs to look into this problem.

- Milford, NH, USA

Jul 012014

F-150 6-cyl

As I was merging onto the highway, I had to accelerate to avoid a semi who was approaching in the right lane. I hard accelerated, but the truck started shaking and the check engine light began flashing. I had lost all acceleration and was forced to put my flashers on and merge to the break-down lane to avoid being run completely off the highway. The truck shook violently while in 6th gear and I had to manually shift to 5th gear to stop the truck from vibrating apart. Less than 10 minutes later (while driving down the highway in 5th gear) the check engine light turned off and the truck was able to be shifted back into 6th without any vibration. This lack of acceleration is extremely dangerous and has happened more times than I can count. Above was only an explanation of the last occurrence. The truck has been serviced (under warranty) where issue was discussed with Ford, but they were unable to "reproduce" the problem...

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 252014

F-150 6-cyl

As I was merging onto highway 694 North, I had to accelerate because of a semi approaching me from behind, I gave the truck full throttle but the truck started shaking and the engine felt like it quit or just had no power left. The truck struggled to reach 55mph, and within seconds I almost got rear-ended and almost ran off the highway, do to the fact that my truck had no power. After I merged onto the highway the truck shook violently for about 3 miles while my check engine light was flashing. During this time it felt as though my truck had lost 50% of its power.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

Feb 032014

F-150 6-cyl

Brake pedal goes to the floor until truck is warmed up. Front hubs don't have enough vaccum to disengage.

- Stewartville, MN, USA

May 272014

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging into traffic after picking up my daughter from daycare. I pressed down on the accelerator firmly to gain speed to get into traffic. My truck stalled with a pinging noise coming from the engine and an uncharacteristic black smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipe. Oncoming traffic had to brake to avoid hitting my truck on my daughters side. The truck recovered but only gradually picked up speed with very little power. It was a low constant acceleration. This is the 4th time this has happened with my truck but this time it endangered my daughter so I feel that I need to speak out. This needs to be addressed before my 1.5 year old daughter or someone else gets hurt due to faulty equipment.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 282014

F-150 6-cyl

I am glad that we were not in a situation that we could have gotten killed because of the throttle problem. The first time we were driving down the road at 45 mph suddenly the accelerator would not respond, the engine was still running at a rough idle. We had to coast to the shoulder. Stopped turned off the truck, it was able to restart and the accelerator was working again. We drove to the local Ford dealer. At the Ford dealer they could not identify the problem. The second time this happened was when we were going 55 mph. Coasted to shoulder of the road and I was able to restart the truck and drove very carefully to the Ford dealer. This time they were able to get a code reading of the problem. The code called for a recalibration. This was done. Drove the truck home thinking that it was repaired. The third time this happened was on the interstate traveling 75mph. Luckily we were in the right lane and was able to coast to the shoulder. Repeated same procedure as above. Returned to the Ford dealer. This time they read the code(P2112) and replaced the throttle body and motor assembly. This problem with the throttle could have very easily caused a deadly crash. I feel that my wife and are very lucky as we could have been in a very serious accident.

- Bayfield, CO, USA

Apr 012014

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to pass a vehicle on the highway my truck started to sputter and loose power, the check engine light came on for a few seconds and went off. This problem is happening every day now under all conditions. There are numerous complaints on this problem and no real resolutions.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Feb 052013

F-150 6-cyl

When attempting to pass a slower moving vehicle, I moved into the left pass lane and pushed on the gas, the truck began to shudder violently, lose power, and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and they did the intercooler fix. After that the problem continued. Check engine light came on, took back to dealership, they told me it was a spark plug, replaced it, on the drive home same problem, engine shudders violently, loses power, goes into limp mode, and check engine light either flashes or goes solid. I have had this problem since the day I purchased the truck new from the dealer.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Dec 202013

F-150 8-cyl

On the night of Dec 20, 2013, I was traveling South on I81 North of syracuse NY. Road conditions were not very good. A block of ice fell off a truck ahead of me, evasive action was not possible due to ice and traffic volume. The ice struck the alternator which is cleverly positioned about 10" off the ground on the lower left front of the vehicle. The vehicle began to lose electrical power system by system. I cant recall the exact sequence, as it was all happening pretty fast. Eventually, the electric power steering system lost power. When this happens on this vehicle, you lose all steering capability. Its not like its just manual steering, there is no steering other than the ability to slightly alter course by pulling extremely hard on the wheel. The vehicle had no lights, the shoulders were unplowed, stopping wasn't a good idea. As good fortune would have it, the cicero NY exit presented itself at that moment. I was able to pull extremely hard on the wheel and was able to steer the slight curve. At the bottom, I discovered I had no breaks. I shot across the usually busy NY 31 and into a kwikstop, where I stomped on the emergency brake and came to a stop. We shortly discovered a fire underneath the engine and were able to extinguish it with snow. I cannot believe a steering system like this is permitted. Had I known it had this system and its limitations, id never have bought the car. If my son and I had been killed that night, it would have all been chalked up to road conditions. In furious about this system. It needs to be recalled.....now.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

May 242013

F-150

Loss of power while traveling 800 miles from home. Problem has continued and worsened. The turbos now do not spool up and the truck runs on 6 cylinder power alone. Currently parked in my driveway. Will not let my family drive it due to safety concerns.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA