2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Sep 152010

Steering wheel shakes real bad on stopping the harder the stop the worse it shakes this truck has 16000 miles on it now and the problem seems to have started after the 1st service and tire rotation (about 8500 miles) although it did not start immediately after but rather seemed to get worse over time from that point I believe that it is warped brake rotors possibly from cheap or defective oem parts the truck has never been off road or abused just daily drive to from work 19 miles each way.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Jan 102012

I feel a heavy tapping in the steering wheel while driving straight. This condition gets worse with warmer weather. 78 to 100 degrees.

- San Ramon , CA, USA

Mar 232012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

When I started up my F-150 super crew cab with the ecoboost engine the service advanced track warning message came on. As I was driving with this error message on the dash I found that my turn signals would not stay on unless I hold the turn signal lever. Later that day I went to take the truck into the dealer to show them the issue and the error message was gone and the turn signals were now functioning fine. Since the error was no longer on the Ford dealer could not do anything about the issue. The error stayed off for about 6 weeks and then came on again. Now it has been coming on about every 3 or 4 days so I took it to the dealer and they determined that the issue is with the rack and pinion steering assembly and have replaced that. I just go the truck back and have not had time to confirm that the issue is fixed however my confidence level is not there as this is just one of many issues that I have seen on this truck that appear to be "computer" related since shutting off the truck (or as I put it rebooting) will correct the issue.

- Andover, MN, USA

Mar 242012

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving home on freeway. Right before exiting I lost my power steering. It was very difficult to steer. It took all my strength to switch lanes, turn corners, and make it home. Also, the traction control icon appeared in smart screen. Took vehicle to Ford where they hopefully repaired problem. They said it was a faulty module inside the powersteering. My concern is if I'm already having problems, what next! and what are my rights?

- Spring, TX, USA

May 252011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle violently shook while driving 50 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the dealer could not diagnose the failure. The contact replaced the tires, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that a software update for the vehicle's system was not available. The failure mileage was 9,400.

- Rapid City, MI, USA

Nov 232011

2012 Ford F-150 pickup trucks do not have a grab handle on the drivers side a pillar. Ford F-150 trucks are higher than passenger cars and require a driver to pull or hold onto an object to enter the drivers side of the vehicle. Ford recommends drivers pull on the steering wheel as an assist when entering the F-150. It appears that repetitive and strenuous pulling on the steering wheel, particularly by larger drivers over 6 feet tall and weighing over 200 pounds, when entering the F-150, can cause steering components to break which could lead to steering failure, or problems while the vehicle is in motion. Suggested solution: Ford has a grab handle on the passenger side a pillar to assist passengers when entering the truck. Evidently, Ford engineers see a need to place a grab handle for occupants to use when entering F-150 trucks. To avoid possible steering mechanism damage, Ford should place a grab handle on the drivers side a pillar which would remove the potential damage to the steering mechanism.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Oct 042011

F-150 8-cyl

I purchased a brand new Ford F150 truck and immediately began to experience steering issues. Steering becomes stuck on a turn and then getting out of turn results in swerving. I almost was in two head-on accidents in the narrow roads around where I drive. This is a significant safety issue... Ford is replacing steering gears but why isn't this a recall- there appears to be a tsb on this issue, but this is way more serious in my experience.. this needs to be addressed asap I am very concerned for other potential people having accidents.

- Lincoln University, PA, USA

Mar 282011

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that whenever he turned the steering wheel, he would feel a bump coming from the steering wheel when it returned to the straightened position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told that the steering components were defective. All of the steering components were replaced. The failure mileage was 30 and the current mileage was 680. Updated 06/01/11 updated 1/18/2012

- Bolivar, MO, USA