2012 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 182012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

"check brake system" warning appeared on dash display. No problem found with brakes. Turning off the ignition for a time seems to return things to normal until the next episode which has happened many times. Two dealerships have not found the problem. Outside ambient temperature seems to play a part since no problem in winter. This is not an isolated issue since a search of the internet confirms other owners have the problem. I have become inclined to ignore the warning but worry that there may be one time when there is a true problem that if ignored may jeopardize the safety of my vehicle and passengers.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Nov 102014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Below is the email I sent to Ford, please help me. I have just bought a 2012 F150 ecoboost and have had a issue with the breaks when in reverse, I almost crashed with my 3 year old son in the car the first time this happened, a quick google search showed that this is a common issue, a issue I am sure you have heard of, I am an iraq war vet who could have been killed along with my 3 year old son because of this defect, I demand answers this is a serious safety defect and I am putting you on notice no denying you knew about this when someone is killed. Here is a link documenting this issue I have taken it to the shop repair bill of $890 this is why Ford is not recalling it, although they changed the part in model year 2014.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 242014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The vacuum pump on my ecoboost truck needs to be replaced. When I start my car every once and while the brakes are super stiff and it has trouble stopping the car for a few seconds. After driving for a bit the brakes are fine. This seems to be a common issue with the 2011/2012 ecoboosts.

- Warwick, RI, USA

May 032014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 5 mph, the eco boost braking system failed. The contact was able to engage the eco braking system once the vehicle was driven for awhile. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,874.

- Rowley, MA, USA

May 152014

F-150 6-cyl

I am writing to complain about the failure of the vacuum pump on our 2012 Ford F150 with ecoboost. Once the vehicle had been driven around 33,000 miles, we began to notice some issues with the brakes immediately following startup: The brake pedal was difficult to press and unless pumped several times before moving, the brakes would not fully engage. This in other words, the vehicle could not be brought to a complete stop in a normal or safe amount of distance. We informed the technicians at our local Ford dealer of this issue while having the annual inspection completed. Ultimately, they found the vacuum pump to be completely inoperable and it had to be replaced. Fortunately, no accident occurred before we had this part replaced, but the potential was significant. Ford should take some action to prevent any possible crashes that may happen as a result of the early malfunction of this component.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Jan 012014

F-150 6-cyl

After the vehicle is started and placed in gear, there are times when no power brakes are available and the vehicle is difficult to stop when it is only rolling at a few miles per hour (less than 5mph). You have to stand on the brakes to stop the vehicle, and if I'm towing a load when this happens it's a very scary event because the vehicle doesn't stop when you need it to stop. When pulling out of a parking position in a parking lot, I've come close to hitting a parked vehicle when my vehicle wouldn't stop as you would expect it to. I had my vehicle into the Ford dealership today to have this vacuum brake pump replaced to correct this problem, a problem that they know that exists and that is a safety issue, and I was told that the part will not be available until halloween timeframe.... a 3.5 month back order. This is the most popular selling vehicle in North America, and if this is happening to only a small percentage of Ford F150 ecoboost's, it's only a matter of time before an individual is seriously injured or killed from this vacuum brake pump failure on this vehicle equipped with the ecoboost engine.

- Skaneateles, NY, USA

Mar 312014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while reversing at approximately 5 mph, the brakes became hard and failed to respond, causing the contact to crash into a tree. A police report was not filed. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 41,000.

- Milton , VT, USA

Apr 102012

Brakes engaged partly when I was going down the road without stepping on the brake. This has happened several times. Dealer turned rotaries but did not solve problem. This truck had less than 10,000 miles when this problem was occurring. I have taken the truck to two different dealerships, but Ford has not corrected the problem yet. The reason I bought the Ford was to respect the workers who did not take the government bailout and to get better gas mileage. I feel this is a safety issue.

- Camden, TN, USA