2012 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 012015

F-150

At cold startup, the electric vacuum pump fails due to corrosion and the brakes do not work at all. The truck will not stop regardless of how much pressure is applied to the pedal during the first 2 minutes of startup time. This happens every time the vehicle is started after not running for more than 5 hours. I have nearly hit pets, kids, pedestrians, and mailboxes because of this. Parking attendants driving my vehicle have hit other vehicles because of this. This happens when the vehicle is first started, and immediately put into gear, it begins to move with no ability to use the brakes.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Oct 302015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. When the vehicle was started, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vacuum pump and wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Jul 222015

F-150

I have had continuous problems with braking after cold start when backing or driving forward out of my driveway. Replaced vacuum pump as this is a documented problem and after only a few days the problem resumed. This has been happening for several months. My truck is currently at my mechanic for further evaluation and potential repair. This is a serious safety concern and also costing me alot of money in repairs! I have not experienced any issues when driving on the roadway, however, I do not Transport my family in the truck due to this issue.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Jul 012015

F-150

Truck has no power brakes when first started.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 192015

F-150

Brakes don't engage after sitting, vaccum pump to booster is not working properly.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Feb 022015

F-150

The below problem has repeated itself more than 20 times since the first incident. When parked overnight or over a long period of time, upon starting and operating the truck - either reverse or drive - the brakes fail to engage the first one or two times. Had to either hit the brakes very hard or I had to revert the truck to P(parking) position. This just about works to bring the truck to a halt, but even this failed a couple of times when D(driving forward). Thankfully, no one was around for 10 meters. This has led me to only starting the vehicle when there is no person/object either in front or the rear. It is high-risk each time given the damage the truck can do if it collides into something. It is not readily reproducible as it works fine thereafter and hence could not prove it exists to Ford technicians. Reported it first to Ford along with an E-brake issue on 02/12/2015. They replaced the E-brake but brushed off this issue saying it could be rust and it's normal on vehicles parked for long. However the frequency has increased of late and I see quite a few Ford owners having the same issue on Ford forums. The possible issues could be the vacuum pump failing, but Ford technicians claim to have never heard of this problem. Really at a loss and hope Ford sends out a bulletin to fix this asap. This is not a joke. It's life threatening and could cause real damage very soon.

- Northborough, MA, USA

Sep 062015

F-150

When I started the car in the driveway and tried to move it 20 feet away from my garage, the brakes would not immediatly work and I came within 2 feet from hitting another car. I took the vehicle into the Ford dealership and they informed me that I had a brake vacuum pump failure and I had to pay $900 to have it fixed. If there were a child walking in front of my vehicle, I would have not been able to stop.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Jun 212015

F-150

When vehicle is started with a foot on the brake, and then put into gear, the brake pedal depresses completely and the ABS system then kicks in to assist in stopping. The result was that there was a defect in the brake system's vacuum pump, which also blew the fuse for it. Under my extended warranty, the dealer replaced the vacuum pump, although not the fuse which caused a subsequent trip to the dealership as the problem did not seem to have been resolved.

- Spencer, MA, USA

Oct 282014

F-150

Loss of brake pedal when parked at cold start. Able to eventually pump brake pedal to achieve vehicle braking. Problem occurs intermittently. Reported to dealer on 10/28/2014 but no problem found. Reported to dealer again on 8/19/2015 for further investigation.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Jul 022015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost came off warranty in April, on July 2nd I started the truck, put it in gear (drive), and had no brakes. There was a grinding noise as if the ABS was trying to engage. I had to practically stand on the brake pedal to stop the truck and put it back in park. Pumped the brakes a few times and tried it again same thing. I shut off the engine, turned it back on, and let it warm up a few minutes. Now it was ok. From then on when the truck started cold it has done this on a regular basis. Good thing I found this before I reached any speed, and while there was no cargo in the bed to add inertia. I did some research and reported to Ford that the brake vacuum assist pump was likely corroded, and that this was a known issue on 2011-2013 F-150 ecoboost models. They needed a Ford technician to make the diagnosis, which I was charged $100 for (to determine that I was right). They also reported a bad fuse for the pump. I am hoping nobody is trying to say that with a bad fuse these pumps will disintegrate in three weeks of summer weather? let's be honest- the bad pump took out the fuse, if the fuse was blown. They estimate a ~$900 repair. I opened a ticket with Ford Motor Company because this event exactly matches NHTSA preliminary investigation item PE15026. People with these trucks or anyone around them could get seriously hurt if the driver cannot react quickly or panics when this part fails, and it is a poorly designed part. Apparently this part was re-engineered for 2014 and later models. At the time of this writing I am hoping I can get some help from Ford. I am a long time customer and have had no prior issue with the dealership or their service department. This is a manufacturing quality issue, pure and simple. I just wanted to report in order to make sure that this case was included with the others related to PE15026... updated 09/30/15

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Jul 202015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving at 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,200.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Jan 132012

F-150

Driving at 70 mph and tried to push the brake pedal to take vehicle off cruise control. The brake pedal was so firm that I couldn't push it, almost like the brakes were frozen. Very scary situation on snowy roads and 70 mph. The problem occurred several times when it was cold. Since then the brake vacuum booster has been replaced but the problem has gotten worse. Now when I start the vehicle, I have to wait several seconds for vacuum to build up before the pedal softens up. The brake vacuum pump behind the drivers side headlamp has been replaced twice and problem still exist.

- Stanwood, MI, USA

Apr 072015

F-150

After starting the truck the brake pedal was very hard like there was no power assist. It only happened periodically and I assumed my brakes were getting old. Brakes were replaced and the problem still existed at times. It is now happening more often. Just found out about the electric vacuum pump investigation and it sounds like exactly what is happening. Have not had it checked out professionally. I looked at it and it appears there is corrosion happening inside the plastic body. Dates and mileage noted approximate as I did not document it.

- Dalton, OH, USA

Apr 012015

F-150

Occasionally, upon initial startup of vehicle, the power brakes would fail to engage, resulting in extreme force being necessary on brake pedal to slowly bring vehicle to a stop over several feet. This has resulted in near - hits of other vehicles in the driveway, basketball pole, camper, and house. Fortunately no impacts were recorded, but a major risk nonetheless. This phenomenon did not happen while driving, and did not happen 100% of the time during startups, but when it did it had the potential to be a major hazard.

- Fleetwood, PA, USA

Apr 022015

F-150

No braking while backing out of garage. Heard ABS motor engage while pushing on brake pedal. Took three 'pumps' on pedal for normal braking to return. Took vehicle to Ford dealer and they replaced brake vacuum pump assembly under warranty. Problem has returned as of 06-24-2015.

- Isabel, SD, USA

Dec 222012

F-150

I purchased this vehicle for my son in December 2012. We took a trip to Alabama on the Saturday following the purchase. The truck had problems stalling, misfiriing, and not braking immediately. We have taken the truck to the Ford dealership for repairs approximately 15 to 20 times. It is in the shop again today for the misfiring/stalling. The service writer told my son that his vehicle has only been the shop twice for the same problem. We still have all the service paperwork to dispel that remark, this vehicle has approximately 24,000 miles on it. The factory warranty expires in December and has still not been fixed. It does not just stall in rainy or very humid conditions as stated by Ford in their response to the NHTSA investigation. They have replaced spark plugs twice, updated software, put a heat shield in front of the inter-cooler. None of these things have worked. The shield in front of the inter-cooler defeats the purpose of the inter-cooler by not allowing it to cool as intended. It raises the temperature in the intercooler in an attempt to produce less condensation. My son believes the inter-cooler has a design flaw. He thinks that the air return from the inter-cooler to the engine being on the bottom allows more condensation to be sucked back into the engine. If it were on the top, more of the condensation would stay in the bottom and not returned back to the engine. There is an after market fix for this problem but it is expensive and I believe Ford Motor Company does not want to spend the kind of money that it will take to fix this problem correctly. This vehicle should be able to operate efficiently under any conditions. If it does not, it is flawed. I will probably have to purchase the replacement inter-cooler out of my own pocket. I've included all this information in the event that it helps others with the same problem.

- Kempner, TX, USA

May 082015

F-150

Electric vacuum pump fails and you loose your power brakes. Brake petal gets very hard with little or no braking power to stop. 2012 was the last year to use electric vacuum pump to supply power brakes and then was replaced in 2013 with a belt driven vacuum pump. This is a common failure in the F-150 from 2012 and prior year mdls.

- Denver, PA, USA

Mar 222015

F-150

Auxiliary pump for power brakes boost noisy/failure

- Milford, MA, USA

Apr 012015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During first startup of the day, the electric vacuum pump makes a terrible noise for approx. 10 seconds as it builds up assist vacuum pressure. The brake pedal becomes hard as a stone with no vacuum assist. This is due to a faulty design with the pump assy. It becomes corroded internally and externally, and the piston inside the cheap housing becomes corroded and the pump will eventually seize. This is definitely a dangerous issue. If the pump seizes, there is not enough vacuum assist coming from the engine to provide enough vacuum pressure to the brake boost system and the pedal becomes hard as a rock to press. This happens every day during first startup in the morning, and start up in the afternoon when the vehicle sits for a long period of time and vacuum pressure depletes.

- Risng Sun, MD, USA

Mar 022015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Started truck and pulled away, pressed the brake pedal to stop and no brakes. As truck runs a few minutes the brakes start working. Failed 2 days now. Ford wants about $600 for replacement of vacuum pump. Should be recalled for safety.

- Lakeville, OH, USA