2012 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 132015

Braking fails sporadically when starting forward or reverse. Unable to stop. Once moving problem appears to go away. Identical to descriptions given in other 2012 recall on brake failure. Vehicle has 31K miles, and problem has existed since around 24K miles. Becoming more frequent.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Nov 172012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving under 30 mph, the traction control warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle decelerated without being prompted. The brakes engaged and the failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Southside, AL, USA

Jul 022016

While driving on the interstate doing 75mph pulling a 6000lb camper the brakes wouldn't work. The stayed firm and would not allow me to depress them. Then errors came across the screens warning of a break system failure.

- Louisville, NE, USA

May 062016

While at a red light on hyw 59 with my foot on the brake pedal it suddenly went soft and depressed completely to the floor. I proceeded to a truck service shop where a mechanic did a quick look and found no leaks, I then made an apt at a Ford dealer in Canada where they discovered that the master brake cylinder had an internal fault and was replaced at a cost of $992.53 to myself.

- East St Paul Manitoba Canada, AZ, USA

Apr 222016

First of all I have a pickup with a reconstructed title. Upon entering highway and starting to accelerate, I had to stop immediately for stopped vehicle in front of me. My pedal was real hard and it didn't feel like my normal pedal. I wasn't sure I would stop, but it did just in time. It is the hardest I have ever applied a brake pedal in my 44 plus years driving and not one tire locked up or any pulsation on pedal. Ford has sent me a letter with customer satisfaction program "15N05". vacuum pump failure. Which applies to what happen to me. They informed me that this was a warranty issue that branded titles are not covered, not a safety issue, which would cover a branded title. How can brakes not be safety? Ford has changed this brake system after only a couple of years. Just because it only involves a couple of years, Ford should make this a safety issue not extended warranty to keep the NHTSA from forcing their hand.

- Little Valley, NY, USA

Mar 182016

The brake fluid light came on and the brakes stopped working. There was no sign of a leak. I filled the master cylinder 2 times within 2 miles and samething continued to happen. I was able to slowly get it to a dealership and it was the booster and master cylinder. No signs of leaks. Immediately stopped functioning.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Mar 102016

Riding down the road low brake fluid light comes on and brake light pull over put 24 oz. Brake fluid in drive for 20 miles hi-way same thing pull over master cylinder almost dry. Refill check vehicle for leaks nothing drive 1/2 mile check fluid down half way take truck to dealer say, S master cylinder leaking into booster pump luckily driving early morning no traffic and was able to pull off road quickly could have been disasters

- Winchester, VA, USA

Apr 122015

I also have experienced the brake pedal going to the floor and not having any brakes when applied. The dealer replaced several parts to no avail. The first time it happened I was getting off the interstate highway and the brakes went all the way to the floor and I went straight through the stop sign at the end of the ramp. I believe the problem has been resolved but I am still very careful. I would love to find the exact problem.

- Biscoe, NC, USA

Dec 232015

Started vehicle placed in drive gave a little gas was unable to stop, I was standing on brake pedal but was not stopping until going through the corner post of my garage.

- Whitesboro, NY, USA

Jan 052016

Brake pedal goes to floor loss of braking right after starting engine and moving vehicle. Has happened repeattedly for the past two years.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Feb 252016

Got in the truck in the morning, the truck was cold was backing up and pushed the break pedal and did not have breaks..this has happened twice to me.once in November of 2015 and February of 2016, when I called my wife to ask for the VIN# to fill out this report she said it has happened to her also 3 times in the last the morning, we live in Michigan.

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard without warning. The vehicle failed to slow down and crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The ABS activated even though the road surface was dry. The vehicle resumed normal operation, but the brake warning indicator was illuminated. There were no injuries. The front bumper sustained minor damage. A police report was not filed. On five separate occasions, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Brandenburg, KY, USA

Feb 052016

After having the brake pads replaced at about 24,000 miles, I was backing up and lost power and almost ran into my neighbors yard. The mechanic is saying its the vacuum assist pump and possibly something else but this problem didn't happen before and only when I start the car and back

- Montara, CA, USA

Feb 082016

On start up the power brakes can fail to work resulting in extreme difficulty in stopping the truck when backing up our of the driveway or a parking space. This has resulted in two near miss accidents with parked cars in a parking garage. The issue appears to be limited to start-up for now. If you start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, the brakes appear to pressurize and work fine. It has not occurred while driving at speed. There is not indication of any braking issue with the onboard display.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Jan 112016

Vacuum assist pump is failing at 33000 miles. This is the second pump that has failed.. pump makes loud noise and vehicle loses braking ability brake pedal requires excessive force to stop vehicle and greatly extends stopping distance.

- Zelienople, PA, USA

Dec 102014

Each morning, when I pull the truck out of the garage, the brakes sometimes do not work. Sometimes, it is very difficult to stop the truck. I heard it might be a vacuum issue, but it happens all the time, summer winter, etc. Truck was stationary to begin with. The brakes sometimes make a loud noise, as well. It's happened ever since I bought it, last year.

- Oneonta, NY, USA

Dec 112015

Periodically lose brake power and it sounds/feels like the antilock brakes are kicking in. Typically happens immediately after starting and at low speeds (<5mph). Brake power is returned if I rev the engine in neutral or park. Nearly hit a person in the parking lot and did minor damage to snow fence today when backing up and could not stop in time.

- Williston, VT, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. The contact veered to the right to avoid crashing into the vehicle in front and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained unknown medical injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 162015

I have been hearing a loud noise behind my headlight on the drivers side for quite some time now. A few months back, my brakes didn't seem to work correctly and I rear ended someone. I am going through brake pads like crazy on my truck and my brakes still don't seem to work correctly. I was doing research and found out about the vacuum brake assist behind the driver side headlight. That's what's making that noise inder my hood & has got to be the problem for the loss of my brakes. If my brakes worked correctly I would have never rear ended car in front of me. I knew something was wrong at that point. & now I know the exact cause. But with everyone having this issue with the 2011-2012S, I think this is something that should be a recall. Ford should be the one paying for the wreck I got into since it's a common problem that's happening. Hopefully we could come to a conclusion before someone gets killed! I do have an accident report if you need more information from it.

- Raceland, LA, USA

Oct 012015

At cold startup, the electric vacuum pump fails due to corrosion and the brakes do not work at all. The truck will not stop regardless of how much pressure is applied to the pedal during the first 2 minutes of startup time. This happens every time the vehicle is started after not running for more than 5 hours. I have nearly hit pets, kids, pedestrians, and mailboxes because of this. Parking attendants driving my vehicle have hit other vehicles because of this. This happens when the vehicle is first started, and immediately put into gear, it begins to move with no ability to use the brakes.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA