2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jul 302016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving various speeds, the transmission began to downshift without warning. The check engine light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Apr 162016

F-150

I have intermittent failure of the transmission while in motion. At 60 mph the truck transmission shifted from 6th gear down to 4th gear. Also at a lower speed it shifted from 4th gear down to 1st gear. Also when taking off from a stand still the transmission will shift from 1st gear where it starts out up to 5th gear and I have no power to pull out onto highway etc. This occurrence has come very close to getting us hit when pulling into traffic. This abrupt downshift is a very hard jerk and I have to shift into manual to override the problem. We have taken the truck to the dealer and have been told repeatedly that they can not get it to fail. This problem does not happen every time we drive. We have contacted Ford Motor Co. And are told that there is a safety recall but they do not have the computer software to fix it yet. We are extremely concerned that this ongoing problem is going to get us killed or someone else killed. This is our only vehicle so we don't have another one we can drive until Ford comes up with the software.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Mar 292016

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and it lost power. In addition, the gear shifter independently shifted from the sixth to second gear. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 09/27/16 updated 09/28/16.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 022016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, the transmission dropped into first gear and caused the vehicle to fishtail. The failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was acknowledged that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 072016

F-150

Automatic transmission downshifted to first gear while at highway speed. This event is like the recall described in NHTSA 16V248000. My vehicle was manufactured in August 2012, outside of 16V248000 recall target dates. Repair at dealership required. Recall dates were not inclusive of all defective transmissions.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 152016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission downshifted into first gear and the instrument panel lights failed without warning. The contact was able to place the vehicle in neutural, turn off, and resart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,200.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jul 112016

F-150

I have shuddering goin on somewhere in the drive shaft, transfer case and the transmission. I just got it back from Ford where they told me they could not fix it. And on the way home I hit a bump on the highway and the shudder almost ran me into the car next to me. I am feeling very scared to drive it, I feel like it's gonna fall apart. I've had it into Ford many times for this problem and others and to no avail, they can't fix it. I'm ready to file a lawsuit over this. Please help. Thanks

- Winnebago, IL, USA

Jun 012016

F-150

Tsb 11-08-18. Exactly what happens to my vehicle. Random. In long sweeping left turns when steering wheel is at the 11 oclock position between 40-75 mph. Steering wheel will not reset itself back to center. I have to manually move wheel back to center. Meaning, when coming out of the lefthand turn the wheel will stay at the 11oclock position until I move it back to center. Not every time but often. If you dont pay attention 100% of the time the truck will steer itself into a wall or median only going left.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 012016

F-150

Truck started to skip out of gear when driving; this started happening a year ago. Took to dealership in austin, tx (covert Ford), did a minor transmission rebuild; however, we noted that there was a recall for Ford F150 2012 transmission, but the dealership said the model was not under the recall. After numerous returns to covert due to the recurrence of the same issue, we took the truck on an extended vacation to the mountains where the truck started to lose power on inclines (the same problem as before). We had the truck towed to durango, co to the Ford dealership. The durango dealership acknowledged that it needed a new leadframe, something which should have been caught by the austin dealership a long time ago. Covert (the austin dealership) did install a tsb component, but the older recalled version of it, which is why the problem persisted. We have been waiting three days and 800 miles from home for the new version of the lead frame to arrive and be installed by the durango dealership. Covert Ford (in austin, tx) grossly mishandled this from the very beginning with their incompetence and lack of acknowledging the service bulletin, which we brought to their attention from the very beginning!!! at this point, this has cost us thousands of dollars, hours of lost work and wages, time away from home, and many headaches.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 082016

F-150

April 27, 2016 recall 16S19-my Ford is experiencing the same problem as the April recall. My truck has (while in motion on a city street) shifted from 5th & 6th gear down to 1st gear. My truck has also stayed in 5th gear even though I was in park. I began calling Ford in April to report these issues, but my VIN# is not in the recall but I'm experiencing the same problems and reported it. I want Ford to include my VIN in the recall. Obviously there are some trucks outside the specific dates the recall includes that are experiencing the same problem.a district customer representative gave me her number to call her, but after I reported the last time my truck involuntarily shifted, I did not receive a call back. I tend to believe they are aware there are more trucks experiencing the same issue and they are reluctant to take any action. Help....

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jun 112016

F-150

After starting the vehicle and putting it in drive, vehicle is driven a few feet on cty streets and upshifts into fifth gear from first gear, skipping other gears. Vehicle then will not down shift, even after coming to a complete stop, vehicle will still remain in fifth gear. When on a hill, the vehicle has a very difficult time moving from a stopped position when it's in fifth gear. The vehicle had to be turned off and back on, as well as put in park and back in drive multiple times to try to temporarily fix the issue so the car could become mobile again. Vehicle was taken to Ford dealer who stated there's an issue with a sollonoid.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 052016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle independently downshifted into first gear and the wheels seized. The contact slowed down and the failure subsided. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact was informed that the failure was related to a recall for the powertrain and Ford recall number 16S19. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000. VIN tool confirms parts not avaliable.....updated 0711/16

- Central Square, NY, USA

Feb 052016

F-150

I have had my truck to the dealer for repairs, four times! the truck will actually go into żlimp modeż causing the engine to lose all power when accelerating, it takes about a minute to correct itself, but you have to let completely off the accelerator. If you depress the accelerator before it corrects itself the vehicle shutters violently and slows even more! this is a very hairy situation especially when your in heavy traffic on rt 95! the dealership tells me "unfortunately it's sunny out and we can't duplicate the problem "! it only does this when you go on trips during rainy days or in heavy moisture.I live in Maryland and have a second home in winston-salem nc. This has happened to me at least seven times whill couting between the two. All the dealership has done is put a so called water deflector on my vehicle, which did absolutely nothing! is it going to take someone getting killed before something is done about this widely known problem?

- Brooklyn, MD, USA

Feb 012016

F-150

I took delivery of this truck in March of 2012. The truck has had documented ongoing serious drivability, safety and reliability issues since October of 2013. The issue of immediate concern relates to ongoing misfire, back fire, and engine stall. This condition has occurred at low speed, highway speed, and while towing. The immediate loss of power and subsequent surging effects caused by this condition renders the truck hazardous to me, my family, and other motorists. This issue has been repeatedly reported to and serviced by Ford. I have also personally filed complaints and concern with Ford Motor Company. See Ford customer service case number 8603638. The misfire, back fire, and engine stall is the current ongoing issue but you will also see in the service history this vehicle has also experienced traction control, drive shaft, steering system, and sensor/electrical component failures dating back to may of 2012. It is my understanding Ford Motor Company is aware of this issue with the eco boost engine and drivetrain in my truck. This known issue was responded to by tech service bulletin 13-2-14. However, the mitigation measures of that bulletin and other subsequent service attempted to repair my truck have not been successful. Further, the service bulletin does not take into account the significant safety issue of a truck traveling public roads and experiencing sudden loss of engine power. Finally, I want to point out that the ignition/engine problems my vehicle experienced has caused premature failure to other components to my drive train. This includes fouled spark plugs, damaged coils, and likely accelerated end of life to other emission controls and mechanical components to the engine due to the misfire and water entering the combustion chamber.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 272015

F-150

For two years the rear slider and defrost hasn't worked. When accelerating to pass the engine light comes on and the truck starts to chatter.

- Tiller, OR, USA

Dec 112015

F-150

20,484 miles on truck. 10/18/15 RPM's increase but doesnt shift into next gear. 10/19/15 roadside assistance towed to dealer. Dealer found no code, sent back to me. 11/17&11/22 driver seat lost memory. 11/28/15 RPM reved when brake was applied RPM's were still increasing. 12/2 brought to dealer no code on diagnosis, sent out again without troubleshooting 20,900 miles on truck. 12/8/15 RPM's reved didnt go into gear. 12/8/15 1hr after prior failure, tried to leave driveway and 2 attempts to engage drive it wouldnt move put truck in reverse then proceeded to put in drive, stuck in 1st gear for 2 blks. 12/10/15 my 5yr old granddaughter and I drove 4 blocks before truck shifted to 2nd gear. 12/11/15 truck did not seem to be running right heard a clunk upon leaving prk lot got across 4 lanes of traffic and truck failed to shift, wrench on dashed showed and went away, dash info had lines across instead of mpg and air bag light stayed on, dealer was on my way, this time code showed and was the torque converter. I ended up driving this vehicle 500 miles iwith the torque converter failing here and there until a code showed. This caused a very dangerous condition to all on the road and much unneeded stress. I am very concerned what other components have premature wear due to continuing to drive my truck in this condition. I purchased an extended vsc from dealer but unsure what it covers so Ford will not offer extended warrenty, only offering oil changes. I do not want anyone to go through this same dangerous situation. Please act on this before deaths start occuring. After reading up on the torque converter, the symtoms my truck experienced were exact along with the truck increasing RPM's although brake was applied. Instinct is you dont continue driving a vechile that doesnt shift even due to likelyhood of other components failing and dangerous conditions in traffic.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Nov 062015

F-150

F150 ups shifts hard when cold from first to second and third gear. It down shifts hard from 3ed to first gear when stopped at a stop sign. This morning while slowing down to merge into traffic it bogged down and started to die then all of a sudden it fixed itself. I bought it used and have had it for 3 weeks.

- Fletcher, OK, USA

Jul 162014

F-150

Back sliding window doesn't work, popping sound from the rear end when you accelerate from a stop.

- Tiller, OR, USA

Jul 062015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

July 6 lost power to truck engine at 60 mph when going to pass in hard acceleration situation. Truck engine shuttered for over 3 mins until I could get it stabilized around 2000 rpms in a lower gear/speed. This was the first of two similar situation on the same day with the truck and throughout the remainder of the day any acceleration over 3500 rpms caused a loss of power. We limped the vehicle home that day. Next day check engine light came on and off until we could get truck into our local Ford dealer for service on 7-13. This issue has been researched via info on this site to no conclusion. I can say if you drove this vehicle and simulated this issue you would see the major issue this causes and potential risk of accident at highway speeds with acceleration. Specifically heavy traffic situations. The issue caused spark plug damage, catalytic converter damage and the dealer performed the tsb (4th issued by Ford) to attempt to fix the issue. This is a known issue, causes safety issues and should be recalled to permanently fix not try to patch with four different tsb. Fix this correctly before accidents occur that cause deaths. Updated 9/25/15 updated 3/23/2016

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 172014

F-150

24,991mi: Misfire when accelerating while driving. No check engine light. Dealer reported no problem found, no codes & made no repairs. 29,440mi: Misfire when accelerating & going up & down hills specifically when in 4,5, 6 gear during both flat & inclined highway driving. This was while pulling an 8000lb trailer. No check engine light. Dealer found misfire in #1 & 4 and replaced coils & plugs in #1 & #4 only. Test drive still showed misfire, then replaced turbo boost pressure sensor. I was told that moisture had damaged the plugs & sensor. 35,214mi: Misfire when taking off from a stop, during normal acceleration and going up hills.no check engine light. Dealer replaced the driver's side exhaust manifold because it was warped. 37,164mi: Misfire when taking off from a stop, during normal acceleration & going up hills. I saw this in acceleration conditions from 10-60mph without towing a trailer. No check engine light. Dealer reported no problem found, no codes & made no repairs. 38,577mi: Repeated severe misfires while going up moderate inclines. Check engine light came on (first time this ever happened) & I had a reduction in power, could not get out of 3rd gear & my speed dropped from 65mph to 50mph. After repair had moderate misfires during major inclines while towing a trailer but no check engine light. 39,000mi: While towing a trailer, experienced series of moderate to severe misfires in waves – be ok for an hour & then go into a series of misfires for 3-10 minutes. Some were on hills, some were on flat highway driving. I had 5 occurrences where the check engine light came on during this drive. 3 of these were during a hill climb where I had a power reduction & lost speed. Vehicle stayed in 3rd gear. When I would get a series of severe misfires, misfires were so severe (without the check engine light on), that I could hear & feel the turbo kick off & on..

- Fort Collins, CO, USA