2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Aug 112016

F-150

While driving approximately 50mph there is an apparent loss of signal to the speedometer followed by a sudden down shift from 6th to 2nd causing the truck to nearly come to a halt. Happens very randomly and intermittently. Almost caused an accident a couple of times. On one occasion the truck was in drive, I was pressing the accelerator and the truck would not go any where. Put it in park and turned it off and back on and then it was fine.

- Blackwell, MO, USA

Dec 172015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that there was a burning odor under the hood of the vehicle. The contact looked and found that the cables connected to the battery were burning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery caused excessive battery corrosion and ate through the positive battery cable. The vehicle's motor also failed. The motor, battery, and battery cables needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the power train was covered under warranty; however, the other repairs were not. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

May 212016

F-150

For about a month we would be driving down the road and the truck would "down" shift all by its self and stop. We would have to put the truck in park in the middle of the road or if we could safely get off to the side and restart it. And then 5/21/16 my wife was driving it down the road and lots "all power" the little " wrench symbol came put and the truck just stopped, she was able to get into a parking lot. She waited about 15 minutes like Ford had told us and nothing, turn it key on and off still nothing waited another 15 minutes and it worked. So she set there and let the truck warm up and she went to pull out and as she did the truck lost all power as she pulled out and the truck died again in the middle of the highway. So we had the truck towed to the dealership (pioneer Ford) and the oss sensor had broke and was causing the down shift and lose speed. So we had to pay out of pocket $450 plus towing fees. And this could have been worse all because of this oss causing the truck to lose speed of 65-70 miles per hour on a highway. I can't upload the invoice on my ipad, but I could fax if needed.

- Bremen, GA, USA

Jul 122016

F-150

Rear tire lock up while traveling at differant speeds.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 292016

F-150

Fluid loss: On 2 separate occasions I have parked my truck in my driveway at night and in the morning I awake to find puddles of fluid under truck. I have taken the truck to a Ford service center and both times have been told I have no leaks. 2 days ago the puddle of reddish fluid was much bigger. Once again I am told no leaks by service department. I have shown them pictures & I am told there are fluids they cannot check, Ford has not provided a way to do that on this truck. I purchased an extended warranty as I can't afford a huge repair bill. Other F150 owners have had similar issues and I am concerned. Is Ford going to wait until someone dies or are they hoping the consumer will pay for fix after warranty has expired" what are they hiding"

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Aug 062016

F-150

I was driving close to 50 mph on a street and the truck suddenly downshifted to first gear without warning. The rear wheels locked up and went into a skid. The engine revved to the redline. After several seconds the transmission shifted back up into a higher gear and resumed normal operation. It was a spontaneous problem and has not been able to be reproduced. These symptoms are consistent with a recall issued by Ford for the 2011-2012 F150's with the 6R80 transmissions, but my VIN was not included in the recall. My truck's build date is 8/29/2012. The transmission's lead frame connector was replaced by the local Ford dealership, but the software has not been updated as prescribed in the recall.

- League City, SD, USA

Jul 152015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 5 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but vehicle hesitated before it accelerated and the rpms increased. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 09/27/16

- Saucier, MS, USA

Aug 072016

F-150

Stumble/misfires at speed causing truck to lose speed rapidly while in traffic, has been at a Ford dealer up to a month at a time for repairs and they cannot seem to fix problem. I have been in contact with Ford since Tuesday 3 May 2016and they assigned a case number to my truck cas-9385544-N9C1Q6 crm:01199000003347. Since then I have been through four different customer representatives and the truck has been at the dealer on and off for over six weeks with them saying try this it should be ok now. I almost on several occasions got rear ended on the interstate when the engine shuts down and speed drops to about 40, then I have to get across lanes to the shoulder let the truck idle for about 5 minuets. Then I cannot get it to go above 50mph for about 10 miles. I bought this F150 new in 2012 it has ben doing this since I bought but not this bad, I am getting afraid to drive this truck. Can you look into what can be done to get this truck repaired by Ford. You ask for date and mileage the this happened, it happens every day so I cannot all that information, so I only provided the last day I drove this truck.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Jul 302016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving various speeds, the transmission began to downshift without warning. The check engine light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Apr 162016

F-150

I have intermittent failure of the transmission while in motion. At 60 mph the truck transmission shifted from 6th gear down to 4th gear. Also at a lower speed it shifted from 4th gear down to 1st gear. Also when taking off from a stand still the transmission will shift from 1st gear where it starts out up to 5th gear and I have no power to pull out onto highway etc. This occurrence has come very close to getting us hit when pulling into traffic. This abrupt downshift is a very hard jerk and I have to shift into manual to override the problem. We have taken the truck to the dealer and have been told repeatedly that they can not get it to fail. This problem does not happen every time we drive. We have contacted Ford Motor Co. And are told that there is a safety recall but they do not have the computer software to fix it yet. We are extremely concerned that this ongoing problem is going to get us killed or someone else killed. This is our only vehicle so we don't have another one we can drive until Ford comes up with the software.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Mar 292016

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and it lost power. In addition, the gear shifter independently shifted from the sixth to second gear. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 09/27/16 updated 09/28/16.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 022016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, the transmission dropped into first gear and caused the vehicle to fishtail. The failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was acknowledged that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 072016

F-150

Automatic transmission downshifted to first gear while at highway speed. This event is like the recall described in NHTSA 16V248000. My vehicle was manufactured in August 2012, outside of 16V248000 recall target dates. Repair at dealership required. Recall dates were not inclusive of all defective transmissions.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 152016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission downshifted into first gear and the instrument panel lights failed without warning. The contact was able to place the vehicle in neutural, turn off, and resart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,200.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jul 112016

F-150

I have shuddering goin on somewhere in the drive shaft, transfer case and the transmission. I just got it back from Ford where they told me they could not fix it. And on the way home I hit a bump on the highway and the shudder almost ran me into the car next to me. I am feeling very scared to drive it, I feel like it's gonna fall apart. I've had it into Ford many times for this problem and others and to no avail, they can't fix it. I'm ready to file a lawsuit over this. Please help. Thanks

- Winnebago, IL, USA

Jun 012016

F-150

Tsb 11-08-18. Exactly what happens to my vehicle. Random. In long sweeping left turns when steering wheel is at the 11 oclock position between 40-75 mph. Steering wheel will not reset itself back to center. I have to manually move wheel back to center. Meaning, when coming out of the lefthand turn the wheel will stay at the 11oclock position until I move it back to center. Not every time but often. If you dont pay attention 100% of the time the truck will steer itself into a wall or median only going left.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 012016

F-150

Truck started to skip out of gear when driving; this started happening a year ago. Took to dealership in austin, tx (covert Ford), did a minor transmission rebuild; however, we noted that there was a recall for Ford F150 2012 transmission, but the dealership said the model was not under the recall. After numerous returns to covert due to the recurrence of the same issue, we took the truck on an extended vacation to the mountains where the truck started to lose power on inclines (the same problem as before). We had the truck towed to durango, co to the Ford dealership. The durango dealership acknowledged that it needed a new leadframe, something which should have been caught by the austin dealership a long time ago. Covert (the austin dealership) did install a tsb component, but the older recalled version of it, which is why the problem persisted. We have been waiting three days and 800 miles from home for the new version of the lead frame to arrive and be installed by the durango dealership. Covert Ford (in austin, tx) grossly mishandled this from the very beginning with their incompetence and lack of acknowledging the service bulletin, which we brought to their attention from the very beginning!!! at this point, this has cost us thousands of dollars, hours of lost work and wages, time away from home, and many headaches.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 082016

F-150

April 27, 2016 recall 16S19-my Ford is experiencing the same problem as the April recall. My truck has (while in motion on a city street) shifted from 5th & 6th gear down to 1st gear. My truck has also stayed in 5th gear even though I was in park. I began calling Ford in April to report these issues, but my VIN# is not in the recall but I'm experiencing the same problems and reported it. I want Ford to include my VIN in the recall. Obviously there are some trucks outside the specific dates the recall includes that are experiencing the same problem.a district customer representative gave me her number to call her, but after I reported the last time my truck involuntarily shifted, I did not receive a call back. I tend to believe they are aware there are more trucks experiencing the same issue and they are reluctant to take any action. Help....

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jun 112016

F-150

After starting the vehicle and putting it in drive, vehicle is driven a few feet on cty streets and upshifts into fifth gear from first gear, skipping other gears. Vehicle then will not down shift, even after coming to a complete stop, vehicle will still remain in fifth gear. When on a hill, the vehicle has a very difficult time moving from a stopped position when it's in fifth gear. The vehicle had to be turned off and back on, as well as put in park and back in drive multiple times to try to temporarily fix the issue so the car could become mobile again. Vehicle was taken to Ford dealer who stated there's an issue with a sollonoid.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 052016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle independently downshifted into first gear and the wheels seized. The contact slowed down and the failure subsided. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact was informed that the failure was related to a recall for the powertrain and Ford recall number 16S19. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000. VIN tool confirms parts not avaliable.....updated 0711/16

- Central Square, NY, USA