3.4

2012 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 152016

F-150

After speaking with Ford Motor Company I thought I should file a complaint on here as well. My husbands 2012 Ford F150 power steering shut off while driving down the road. After much research, it appears his is by far not the only one. Apparently other models of the same year have had recalls but not the F150. I was told go get it checked out and fixed and if we issue a recall, you might get a refund. $2200 and we can get it checked out and fixed if they see the problem. This is not an in and out service and its very disappointing a company that has been around since 1903 has turned to such poor quality in service. Everyone needs to file a complaint so they will stop taking advantage of the loyalty of the customers.

- Satsuma, AL, USA

Aug 032016

F-150

Fuel pump fuse #27 melted causing engine to shut down and lose all power steering and brakes.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Aug 192016

F-150

Our transmission is doing exactly what the recall mentioned. We are traveling with a 2 year old and I can not believe that Ford does not have a fix to this problem this usa very dangerous situation while traveling on an interstate

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 152016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission downshifted into first gear and the instrument panel lights failed without warning. The contact was able to place the vehicle in neutural, turn off, and resart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,200.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jun 252016

F-150

While driving my 2012 F-150eb, the power steering assist quit working in the middle of a turn in a parking garage. I had to put all 180 lbs of my weight into the steer in order to avoid a concrete stanchion, 2 pedestrians and another vehicle. Had my wife been driving, this could have resulted in a fatality. Ford Corp. Claims they know of no problems with the steering on this vehicle. However, I have found numerous complaints on line citing the same problem/issues. Diagnosis was "power steering electric motor failure" and repair cost is $2,200.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Apr 202016

F-150

Steering wheel clock spring, which controls all steering wheel electronics and airbag is faulty. Replacement clock spring required. I noticed this issue while driving and using my radio controls on the steering wheel. Upon pushing a button like volume up for instance, the radio station would change. The buttons were doing the improper functions. I brought it into Ford and they stated that the clock spring is faulty and needs to be replaced since it controls the airbag, which may be affected by the faulty unit.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Mar 192016

F-150

Started my truck around 9 pm and placed the transmission in reverse, had to back down a long straight parking lot, speeds of at least 15 mph. Came to a complete stop, shifted the transmission into drive and pulled out onto a main road, hit the merge turn signal and heard nothing. I diddnt think much of it, thought I diddnt hit the turn signal arm hard enough. Turning onto main road and hit turn signal again, no sound. Looked at dashboard, everything is off, no back lighting and no gauge movement/lights at all. Exterior lights work but not reverse lights, turn truck on and off 3X with no resolution to the problem. 4th try finally reboots the computer and has run fine since then

- Avon, CT, USA

Apr 032012

F-150

Started the truck to warm up, as tempeture was 17 deg. F.. went inside to lock up house and when I came out there was smoke coming out of doors. Upon opening, the cab was filled with black smoke and there was a flaming mass on passinger side floor on a floor mat I had purchased for truck. I pulled mat out with melting pile of plastic and put fire out with snow on ground. Had to make arrangements for someone to pick us up and get home because I had my 8yr. Old granddaughter with me and she had to attend school the next day and we were 275 miles from our home. This happened April 3rd 2016 in millport, pa. 16748 and my residence is ivyland, pa. 18974. Rented a car at home 4/4/16 and got ion touch with Ford dealership in coudersport, pa. 16915, kightlinger motors. Truck wasto be ready 4/13 and I was going to return rental car to mansfield, pa. Location and had a ride to coudersport to pick up truck. Received a call Thursday 4/14 that truck wouldn't be ready until possibly 4/20/16. The vehicle was stantionary warming up with fan on low when fire started and had been warming up (no pun intended) less than 5 minutes as we were ready to leave. Truck is a company vehicle.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Mar 232016

F-150

I remote started my F-150 supercrew in the morning, it was approximately 22 degrees F outside. I drove to the corner store (0.1 miles away) to grab a bite to eat. I turned my truck off, went in, then started my truck back up to head to the gas station (0.2 miles away) & fueled up. I turned my truck back on and hit the rear defrost button to clear some ice on the rear window. After driving for about 3-4 minutes (roughly 3 miles), while on the freeway, I heard a loud "pop". I noticed that the rear window had shattered. It was the window pane located behind the driver seat. There was no impact to the window and would've been extremely unlikely since I was driving. Must be an electrical issue (a short, a surge, or something). My truck is out of the 3 year warranty window, but has just under 22,000 miles on it. The dealership would not pay a penny to replace my window. I called the Ford customer care line and they stand behind the dealer decision to not pay anything for it. This is clearly an issue with their vehicles. I've searched this site and seen the same problems on 2010 - 2015 models of the F-150. This problem is not being addressed what-so-ever by Ford. What happens after I get this window replaced and use the defroster, only to have my new window shatter as well? I guess I have to pay for that one too. My grandmother and grandfather worked for Ford. My family has been long time Ford customers. This is my third Ford vehicle. That trend has just ended. Considering a trade in to Chevy or Dodge.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 212016

F-150

While driving on the highway at 7:15am I was using the rear window defroster to melt the ice on the rear window. It was 24 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The drivers side rear window pane (3 paned rear window) shattered. The window that shattered is where the connections for the rear defrost are located. There were no holes or impact points on the window.

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Mar 142016

F-150

Started up truck, windows were foggy so turned on front and rear defrost. Rear defrost light came on and went off. Pushed rear defrost button again and light would not come on. Parked the truck got out and heard a loud pop. Rear window driver side completely shattered. There is no impact and believe the rear defrost is defective and shorted out causing the rear window to shatter. Was not covered under Ford extended warranty and dealer wanted $950 to replace.

- Millington, TN, USA

Feb 182016

F-150

Turned rear defroster on, heard loud pop from rear defrost and it shattered out back window all in an instant. The vehicle was parked and had recently been started after a cold night.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Feb 012016

F-150

Vehicle fuel pump shuts off while driving due to fuel pump fuse (location #27) burning up in fuse box. After my vehicle shutting down while driving several times, last on the highway, with a total loss of power steering and other safety concerns, I found Ford has issued a tsb (tsb 15-0137) with a work around fuse relocation. This is unsatisfactory as this is a known issue to Ford, but not the consumer, putting drivers at risk. The fuse at issue, location #27, literally melted and burned up in the socket.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Feb 082016

F-150

Drivers side rear window shattered while using defrost. Occurred while vehicle was not moving and parked. A visual inspection was made to insure that no foreign object was the cause. Shards of glass was noted covering the back seat and floorboard. This could be a major safety issue if a child or other person was in the back seat at the time of the incident.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Jan 292016

F-150

Driver door latch sensor is faulty. Door ajar warning on instrument panel will not go off. Interior lights stay on and doors will not lock while still or in motion. Serious safety issue for my wife while traveling or shopping at might. Impairs visibility while night driving and locking car a big security issue.

- Scranton, AR, USA

Jan 042016

F-150

Recently I took my vehicle in because both driver and passenger seat heaters were "fried" according to the service department. There are multiple people with this same problem. Here is a post with some same owners the the same problem. www.F150forum.com/F38/heated-seats-problem-please-help-123190/index2/ I was quoted $1900 to fix the seat heaters. In one of the posts the owner stated the seat heater got burning hot. Another stated it charred the foam and even the leather. I feel like it is going to take a vehicle to catch fire or even worse someone getting injured from this problem. It is Ford problem if this is happening on multiple vehicles and all they are doing is putting in new elements until they fry again. They need to figure the issue out right and see what is causing it to happen. I feel it is a safety issue and a hazard that these problems are occurring. I am not sending this complaint because I want Ford to pay for the seat heaters. It is because it is happening to multiple owners and its a safety issue. This issue can be resolved but it seems like my service advisory didn't take this issue seriously.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Oct 092015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed but the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 142015

F-150

Back passanger side loud boom window busted when defrost cut

- Youngsville, NC, USA

Nov 042015

F-150

After traveling about 35 minutes, I parked my truck for about an hour. After returning to my vehicle and pulling away, my truck would barely accelerate. I gave it more gas and a large wrench warning light appeared on my dash and soon disappeared. Once it was gone, my speedometer didn't function, the mileage was gone and the air bag disconnect warning light was illuminated. I decided to drive it to my dealership 10 miles away so they could attempt to register a code on their computer as I've had issues with this truck bucking/surging while traveling at highways speeds for 8 months. This is the first time a warning light had illuminated for a problem. In addition to the above issues, I noticed that the signals were not turn off automatically and had to be deactivated manually during turns. After the technician took technical information my vehicle was turned off and on and everything returned to normal. As I mentioned there have been multiple issues with my vehicle and they are getting worse and worse. I see no recalls from Ford on this ecoboost engine.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Oct 022015

F-150

The other day my truck would not start when leaving work at night. I had to get it towed into the Ford dealership. The engine would crank over but not start. Ford let me know it was a fuse and some components that had melted, that it would need a special part to be ordered in since Ford has stated that when this happens it must be located to a different area of the vehicle for safety reasons (fire hazard). I am shocked that there is not a recall about this nor is it covered under my warranty (I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty).

- Dakota Dunes, SD, USA