2013 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 262016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle downshifted to first gear and caused the contact to lose control. The contact was able to shift the vehicle into neutral and pull over. The vehicle was restarted and driven in first gear to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module needed to be reprogrammed and updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 64,000.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 102016

With cruise control set on and going 70 mph, on a straight level highway, transmission downshifted to 1st gear. Rear tires slid, engine RPM's were increased from the engine braking effect of the sudden downshift and tires dragging. Pulled off the road and turned off the engine for a short time. Started the engine and went home slowly without another issue. Did a search for what happened and found the recall for 2011 and 2012 F150. This is a seriously unsafe and unpredictable condition that if it occurs on a curve or rain slicked road could cause a serious accident through loss of control. I have contacted Ford and been told the recall does not cover may year model. I think my 95,000 miles on my 2013 model F150 puts my vehicle in the mileage range obtained by earlier year models so I may be the start of the same issues with the 2013 year models. There is a component issue with the transmissions that they failing in such a dangerous and unpredictable manner. The NHTSA campaign number is 16V248000 for 2011 and 2012 F150S.

- Driftwood, TX, USA

Sep 082016

Like many other Ford throttle body complaints in vehicles 2010-2013 mine has the same electrical connection problem from the vehicle computer to the throttle body itself. Sending the vehicle into the "limp home mode " while in motion at any speed causing a safety issue by, at any given time losing throttle control.this vehicle needs to be included in the earlier recall ( customer satisfaction program via Ford Motor Company ) of electronic throttle body defects.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Mar 112016

Upon entering freeway merging traffic I had a hard truck stumbled would not go any faster then 30 mph by then the semi was on my rear causing a serious problem had to pull off to the shoulder.waited a few minutes and the problem seam to go away. This has occurred numerous times.

- Woodway, TX, USA

Aug 082016

Upon leaving my driveway which is on a hill I went to apply my brakes and had no response, caused me to go off the curb. My brake pedal was hard to operate I went on line and did some research found out about recall.

- Woodway, TX, USA

Apr 042016

While driving the vehicle at 50mph the truck suddenly shifted from 5th gear to 1st gear causing the rear wheels to loose traction and loss of control into on coming cars in a turn lane. After a few seconds noticing the RPM's reached 6800 the truck shifted to 3rd gear and I was able to avoid impact. No trouble lights or any indications were given. I'm filing a complaint to see if any other owners of this year truck are having this problem. There is a recall 16S19 for 2011-2012 Ford trucks but when asking Ford about my 2013 doing the same thing I get shunned. The damage caused by the down shift has resulted in the truck needing a complete new transmission which was stated by Ford's field service rep. My truck has been sitting at the dealer since April 18th and is still not drivable after 2 different attempts to fixing the problem.

- Moscow Mills, MO, USA

Jun 172015

I was parked on a incline with the engine off and the transmission in drive. I went to step out of the vehicle when it started to roll backwards. The truck was rolling backwards and the door was pushing me down the hill with it. Luckily I was able to get back in the truck and stop the vehicle. Another time I was parked in a parking lot with the engine off and the transmission in drive and after awhile the vehicle started to roll forward. After both incidents I asked my Ford dealer and they stated that it was normal for the truck to roll when the transmission was in drive. The first time I could've been seriously hurt and the second time someone in the parking lot could've been seriously hurt.

- Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA

Jun 082016

When I turn on and place the truck in drive, my steering wheel locks up to where I cant use steering wheel, I get a error on dash stating "assist power steering failure. I place truck in park and turn vehicle off, and restart and problem seems fine, until steering wheel locks up while driving and I get this same error. Ford dealer is charging me $2000 to fix this problem. This could cause a major crash. I believe Ford should have this recalled and pay for this.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Jun 062016

While accelerating to merge into traffic on the interstate the truck shuttered violently and lost all power to the drive train. Motor was still running but transmission would not engage for approximately 10-15 seconds. Tapped accelerator 2 times and motor would rev up but transmission did not engage again until third attempt. I have my truck serviced regularly, this is not a low transmission fluid issue and seems to be the same issue reported by other F150 owners across the country. This is a safety issue, I was almost hit in the rear after this happened. The service light came on when this issue occurred; however, after going to the dealer and shutting the engine off the service light did not reappear when started again.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jun 082015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 35 mph, the transmission downshifted independently and the rpms increased. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed or duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. Updated 07/14/16 the consumer stated the transmission/computer was reprogrammed by the dealer. The problem recurred several times. Updated 07/19/16.

- Berwick, ME, USA

May 022016

Vehicles has several times after being at a stop, vehicle will not engage transmission. Vehicle will accelerate engine RPM's, but is like it is neutral and speedometer goes to 0. vehicle will roll, but stops in middle of road, intersection or shoulder if enough speed before it stops. Brought vehicle in 2 times and kinsel Ford dealership can't get it duplicate problem. Called Ford motor and they told me they can't help me until a certified technician sees it. Was told I need to drive vehicle until it does this again and call roadside assistance and don't restart so codes won't clear. I feel this was unsafe because vehicle can stall in a intersection and cause a cause a wreck. Ford told me they couldn't help me until they could actually see this prove. I have to have a vehicle and drive it until it does it so I can get this fixed.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Apr 222016

Truck shifts up & down by self. Jerks hard when shifting. When stopped speedo goes to 30 to 50 and shows in 3rd gear. At start in this situation it jumps violently forward. When trying to merge with traffic will not shift out of 1st gear. Restart and take back roads as it is not safe in traffic or where there are pedestrians at a cross walk. Phil long Ford denver is waiting to hear from Ford. Ford has started a case report on this vehicle but has not responded. I am concerned this is a big safety problem. This appears to happen when the transmission temperature goes up over 200 degrees F. the problems happen while stopped, stopping, starting highways or secondary roads, this happened 2 times within the last month.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

May 032016

While driving 75 mph the transmission dropped into a low gear enough to make the tires bark, then within seconds while assessing what happened it happened again. I put the vehicle in neutral and coasted to the shoulder. If a car had been following within 3 or 4 car lengths there would have been a collision. The action was severe and abrupt. The motor never shut off, but the transmission shifted into a lower gear twice before I was able to put it in neutral and work my way to the shoulder.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Feb 022016

My truck has been experiencing hesitation upon acelleration and is making noises and my check engine light was on. I took it to the dealership on February 2, 2016 be fixed and at first it was covered under warranty. I took it back on February 16, 2016 bc I had to have a Ford rental per Ford. The truck was repaired but then it wasn't covered per Ford and I had to pay over $400 to get it fixed. My check engine light came on again and it had to go back to the dealership but this time it was covered under warranty. I just got my truck back on April 11,2016 and today on April 14, 2016 the light is back on. I am waiting on a call back from the Ford dealership to find out what to do next.

- Cherry Creek, NY, USA

Jan 202015

From time to time the truck starts to shake violently and have to pull over and shakes all the time from the rear between 45 and 60 mph. Has been back to dealer 3 or 4 times with no results. The last visit I was told this normal, after some research there seems to be a lot of complaints about this.I have had this truck a yr and 1/2 put 10,000 miles on it because im afraid something is going to shake out of it.Ford should be ashamed taking peoples money for trucks they cant use

- Logan, OH, USA

Feb 232016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 65 mph, the transmission downshifted without warning and the instrument cluster failed suddenly. The vehicle was stuck in fifth gear. The contact notified the dealer and they advised the contact to wait a moment and restart the vehicle. The contact was able to coast the vehicle over to the side of the road to restart the vehicle, which reset the computer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who disassembled the transmission and indicated that there was an internal failure. The micro chip was covered in transmission fluid. The dealer did not indicate why the transmission fluid leaked internally or if there was an internal fracture within the transmission. The dealer replaced the part with a modified version of the micro chip within the transmission along with a cover. The contact was uncertain if the repair would provide a permanent remedy for the condition. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 99,116.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 052015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 25 mph downhill in second gear, the vehicle felt as if it were shifted into neutral and accelerated down the hill. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 03/09/16 the consumer stated while driving down a hill, when the transmission was cold, he put the vehicle in second gear. However, it held back for approximately 10 seconds and then it felt as though the vehicle went into neutral on its own. Updated 5/10/16.

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Dec 132015

Vehicle decelerated during attempt hard acceleration. Had loss of power while trying to accelerate on two separate occasions. Once while accelerating on an on ramp and once during acceleration up a steep incline and highway speeds. Both during wet conditions. Check engine light came on while decelerating and then went off after slowing and pulling to side of road. Dangerous circumstance while trying to merge and from overtaking traffic.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

May 302015

I have some strange shifting issues with this truck Ford has denied me a fix. As of now, it seems to be consistent with the split two-piece drive shaft "bump". (spline yoke needs grease) or tsb 14-0090 for the rear differential. It feels like sometimes you hit a bump but the road is smooth. Drive shaft spline needs grease? also, very rough "clunk" when shifting from reverse to drive and vice-versa. Second gear shuddering at times under slight acceleration. Rough shifting random, but it happens from time to time. I've been to one dealership several times. I've contacted Ford customer service for some assistance...the first time I got basically nowhere. This time, the representative from Ford says she cannot talk to me at the times I am available. I feel like they are hiding the problems with refusal to "fix" the truck. I know I've read all over the internet this is happening to other F-150 owners. Very frustrating and annoying. I've talked to a local area drive-train specialty shop. He said to bring it by and look at it for me at a cost. However, my truck is still within the drive-train warranty...but Ford refuses to assist their very own customers. Not a very happy customer any more. I just want my truck repaired permanently. Oh, yes, the dealership did finally replace the front pump assembly in the transmission earlier this year, but that has not resolved the problem.

- Forney, TX, USA

Oct 202015

While driving and accellerating in a normal manner the vehicle will upshift properly until it reaches 4th gear and will not shift any further, even at freeway speeds of 65 to 70 mph for several miles no matter what I attempt to do. Sometimes it will make it to 5th gear and remain there even though I'm not loaded down or pulling anything.

- Kingston, TN, USA