2013 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 182016

F-150

Intermittent problems with the rear defrost last couple of months. Then, last night, the temperature was about 20F. I turned rear defrost on and the light for the defroster went out and wouldn't turn back on. A couple of minutes later, I heard a loud bang from the back and the passenger's side stationary window pane was shattered.

- Winnebago, IL, USA

Jan 222016

F-150

Rear window electric defrost was activated by factory remote start system. Apparent defroster overheat or short circuit caused the left panel of the three panel sliding window to explode, resulting in a loud band and spider webbed panel resulting in glass shards in my child's booster seat. Ford does not acknowledge the problem and provided no assistance at the local dealer or Ford customer service. Truck was stationary at time of event.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Jan 062016

F-150

Remote started my 2013 F-150 raptor and it ran in the drive way for 3-4 min. Started down the road and turned on the rear defrost. After about 2 min, the rear window popped and shattered behind me. After researching, looks to be a known issue that Ford seems to not want to acknowledge. I called them today and the customer service rep acted like he did not know of any past issues. Hopefully this will get the attention it needs soon.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 142016

F-150

2013 F150 Ford parked outside on driveway. Sunny with temperature roughly 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Remote start used to warm up truck. Walking out to truck when a loud bang/gunshot type of sound happened without warning. Walked around truck and saw that driver's side of the power sliding rear window (3 sections) had started to spider crack. This part of the window then continued to crack until the whole section was spider cracked. (the sharp edges of glass were on the inside of vehicle window.) the vehicle was taken to dealer for evaluation but was told it is out of warranty. The dealer estimated replacement cost is $1,200-1,300 usd. (parts and labor).

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

Jan 102016

F-150

IM requesting the NHTSA investigate F150 accelerator pedals that are placed too closely to the cabin floor vent. The cabin floor vent on the driver side is perpendicular and to the right of the accelerator pedal at a distance of 3.5 inches. My foot is wider than the pedal, so when my foot is resting on the accelerator it is only 1-2 inches from the vent. Since my foot is directly in front of the vent, it blocks all airflow. Setting the floor vents on heat means that hot air blows directly on the outside edge of my right foot. Within 1-2 minutes of activation, my foot becomes uncomfortably warm from the barrage of hot air. The result is a painful, burning sensation and extreme physical discomfort in my foot. Using an infrared thermometer, I gathered temperature readings of the air exiting the vents. The ac was set to maximum heat. All readings were taken while the truck was idle. Outside temperatures were 30 F. the thermometer measured temperatures in excess of 140 F from all vents. The reading of the vent next to the accelerator was 141.5F. I placed an empty shoe on the accelerator and left it there for 3 minutes. Readings of the shoe while on the accelerator were in excess of 120F. I removed the shoe from accelerator and took readings after it cooled for 3 seconds. The shoe's temperature was 115F. the shoe remained warm to the touch for several minutes. Leaving the vents at the same settings, I took measurements of the bare skin of my hands and arms. Temperature readings were between 89-91F. skin can be burned in a relatively short period of time when exposed to temperatures in excess of 120F. my own discomfort confirms this. I contacted 3 Ford dealers regarding this problem and explained my findings. Two dealers said that the pedals in my model Ford were nonadjustable, so the issue was not actionable. I also contacted Ford directly. So far no solution.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Nov 012015

F-150

Rear window defroster works intermittently. After doing research and reading many forums I learned there is a contact in rear window that has shorted out and caused many rear window sections to pop and shatter the glass. When I turn my rear defrost on most of the time it doesn't work but when it does I am afraid the glass will break like it had for so many others. This had also caused me not to use it when my kids are in the truck.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Oct 262015

F-150

Discovered my rear defrost was not working one morning, brought the truck to my local Ford dear where I purchased the truck. Was informed that there was a short in the rear window glass and it needed to be replaced.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 262015

F-150

Power rear middle window shattered when truck was sitting still in parking lot. Rear window defroster was on while driving truck. Windshield wiper come on every twenty seconds with switch in off position

- Clanton, AL, USA

Aug 112015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While making a turn at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle resumed normal operation shortly after the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Aug 102015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart; however, the failure immediately recurred. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Crossroads, TX, USA

May 012015

F-150

Vehicle hesitation with jerking and loss of momentum when lightly accelerating at speeds between 60 mph and 70 mph when hot. Dealer determined this was caused by the spark plugs and boots and changed them out at 48K miles. Dealer maintenance book lists changing out the spark plugs and boots at 100K miles which a gross underestimated maintenance schedule. This is miss leading to the buyer for expected repair costs and dangerous for the owner while on the road and dangerous to other motorist because of the unexpected loss of momentum and jerking of the vehicle.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Apr 112015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I had just exited the freeway and was at a red light when the truck message board read shift to park, I did that and the truck basically shut down, flashing both a service advancetrac message as well as a start system fault message. The hazard lights would not work nor any signal in the vehicle, the radio, dome lights worked but the keyless remote keys were not working. So we called Ford roadside assistance and was stuck on the bottom of a freeway off ramp for 3 hours with no hazard lights functional I had to pop the hood and open my driver side door and stand outside of the truck to let other drivers know we were stalled it was a very nerve racking experience I'm just thankful nobody hit us as were basically just sitting ducks at the bottom of a busy freeway off ramp. Please fix this issue before some one gets killed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 102014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The back right drivers side rear window shattered due to the wiring or the rear window defroster.this has happened twice on 12/10/14 and 3/27/15.this is a known defect that Ford has not addressed yet.

- Charlton , MA, USA

Jun 062013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Ford F-150. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After shifting into the neutral position, the vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice for diagnostic testing. A flash update was performed on the cpu each time the vehicle was taken to the dealer; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 300.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Feb 272015

F-150

My first incident on my truck was total loss of power steering with no warning, dealer said it was electrical issue. Next was stopped at a light and my rear window shattered, glass company said they have done a ton of these and was due to a short in rear defrost causing the window to shatter" Ford dealer stated they didn't know if it would be warranted that send in S photo to Ford to be determined warranty or not "

- Romeo, MI, USA

Nov 202014

F-150 6-cyl

My 2013 Ford F150 has had two dead batteries since I purchased in July of 2013 brand new. The first one happened Nov of 2014, they put in a new battery and the second in Feb 2015 Ford dealer can't seem to find anything wrong so they basically just put in a new battery, currently 15K miles.., but there is a power draw somewhere. This can leave me and my family stranded some where, not safe!

- Payette, ID, USA

Jan 152014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would repeat law battery message. Took to dealer battery tests good. Vehicle would sometimes die overnight with a no start condition in mourning. 6 dealer visits and one new battery, "no problem found" from dealer. This vehicle could strand you at any time. I have a open case from Ford but problem continues.

- Tomah, WI, USA

Dec 212014

F-150

I started my truck with remote start to warm up when I got in truck I turned the rear defrost on and my drivers side back glass shattered temperature out was 42degrees truck was in garage my little girl was in car seat in the middle what if glass would have gotten it her eyes just glade it shattered and didn't blow up.

- Hughes, AR, USA

Dec 182014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Using the factory remote, I started the 2013 Ford F150 for first time of the day 12/18/14 and entered vehicle 5 minutes later. Put key in column ignition. Did not touch any controls. With the transmission still in park, a very loud noise occurred. One section of the rear window / backlite had shattered top to bottom, edge to edge. The outdoor temperature was 24F, the heat setting was 67F. Vehicle was backed into driveway with garage behind. Nothing could have hit the window from the outside and the vehicle hadn't moved, yet the glass practically exploded. There are dozens of very similar experiences shared on several internet forums involving years 2010 forward of the same model truck -- same generation. Ford has not created a tsb and there isn't a recall, and Ford has made no indication that they will do anything about it. They referred me back to a dealer to document the damage. Local Ford dealer told me afterward that the rear window defrost turns on automatically with the remote start feature. Now driver visibility is obscured and I'm concerned about the safety of the electrical heating element. Reportedly fires have occurred with this situation. I won't be using the rear defrost under any circumstances -- even in northern Illinois, in the winter. It seems most owners have been denied warranty claims because Ford stated the damage was to glass, which isn't covered under the warranty. The glass isn't the problem, its the evidence. Ford said it is up to the dealer to determine if the damage is due to a manufacturer's defect to get replacement under warranty. The dealer service manager told me they submit a warranty claim with photos to Ford which will either approve or deny the claim. The dealer quoted $800 installed to replace the entire backlite assembly. The two different stories are troubling. I'm already preparing myself for the run-around.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Dec 152014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Rear defogger overheated and shattered rear glass window. Rear window eventually started to fall out. This is a real safety issue in bad weather. Ford has no recall as of today and a lot of these rear windows are being shattered.

- New City, NY, USA