2013 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 242014

F-150 6-cyl

After driving for several hours on the interstate we had stopped to re-fuel. Upon re-entry onto the interstate the truck failed to accelerate, the check engine light came on, the truck was shaking it took 30-40 seconds before normal operation resumed. This is the 3rd time this has happened, twice on of which were on the interstate while attempting to merge into traffic or pass vehicles. All three times the conditions have been high humidity, rain & traveling at a relatively constant speed for an extended period of time.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Feb 262014

F-150 6-cyl

The following occurred in a 2013 F150 platinum with 12,000 miles on it. While accelerating from a traffic light, the car lost power and stuttered and fell into limp mode. You could not drive over 10 mph. This has been just one of many similar incidents. I have taken the car in several times but Ford cannot replicate the problem, so they will not fix anything. Recently, the car just misfired while driving around 40mph, these incidents occur suddenly then the car recovers. My car is currently in the shop, I will pick it up today, they said they could not replicate the problem, so no service was done. The reason it was in the shop this time? I was driving to work in the morning and the car basically collapsed while driving, almost causing a huge accident, this incident was more extreme than the others and the car was stuck in limp mode for about 5 seconds, the woman behind me almost smashed into me. This is a 50K truck with 12,000 miles on it. This truck is extremely dangerous to drive. Recall!!!!!!

- Bayville , NY, USA

May 192014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The vehicle was being refueled when the metal stopper within the fuel tank did not engage and fuel spilled out of the fuel tank. The contact was unable to insert the fuel pump nozzle because the capless entry point was blocked by the metal piece in the fuel tank. The dealer informed the contact to force the nozzle into the fuel tank. The contact did not heed the dealer's suggestion. The contact was planning to have the failure diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,500.

- Weddington, NC, USA

Apr 122014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Upon accelerating from a stop 4or 5 loud knocking sounds were heard and felt, and engine power loss was experienced. I let off throttle to reduce knocking sound, which sounded like turbo wastegate possibly, and engine shook and had reduced power for several miles. Temperature outside was warm and dry. I had been driving vehicle for over an hour before problem. It has had reduced power and minor shaking before, but nothing like this. Fortunately no other vehicles were coming. I do notice wastegate popping off on short, steep hills more lately. I have the ecoboost engine. Have not been to dealer yet, but have appt soon.

- Ellsworth, KS, USA

Mar 302013

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start when parked on a decline of approximately 8% and fuel level below 1/4 of tank or less than 100 miles on fuel warning indicator. Low fuel warning light comes on and vehicle will not start until on level ground. I am not comfortable traveling off-road or in mountains if fuel level is below 1/4 tank as this issue may cause vehicle to stall resulting in an accident or being stranded.

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 062013

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging onto the highway while it was raining. In attempting to accelerate to merge in front of a semi my vehicle stated shuttering violently and lost power. I could not get past 40mph. The check engine light was flashing. This was after the truck had been running for two hours. The semi almost rear ended me as I got off the road as soon as possible. I shut the truck off and restarted the engine and it ran fine after that. I took the truck back to my dealer the next day and they could find nothing wrong, not even an error code. The truck has a Ford 6 cylinder eco boost engine.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jul 262013

F-150 6-cyl

While making a left hand turn across traffic I floored the gas pedal and all power was lost almost resulting in a crash. The next time was on the highway while trying to pass another vehicle total loss of power. Unable to pass almost rear ended, luckily able to get off the road. Today November 3rd 2013 9:00 am traveling 40 mph on flat ground clear sky about 45 degrees I floored it and the truck did nothing it did shake alittle and I kept my foot to the floor for about 1/2 a mile and it never regained any power. Then I smelled something burning. No check engine lights ever came on and my fuel economy get worst every day. The truck feels like something is dragging it down all the time. Poor fuel economy mixed with unreliability is going to equal disaster. Ford is lucky no one has been hurt or killed yet.the truck will be towed to the dealer in the morning I simply will not risk my life while Ford sits on there thumbs. Fix the problem before someone is hurt!!!!

- Gilberts, IL, USA

Jun 232010

F-150 6-cyl

When first accelerating early in the morning the truck accelerates suddenly when 1st taking off. This really became a problem when someone stepped in front of me, the truck took off and then I had to stop suddenly. I have reported to Ford and taken it in twice, but they insist no one has had this problem. The motor's RPM fluctuates about 200-300, then settles down.the visibility has been a problem since day one. Ford replaced the wiper blades, but the problem is still there. I have back to the dealer 3 times and all they say is "we can duplicate the problem".

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 032013

F-150 6-cyl

3.5L ecoboost engine. Went to merge on highway, pressed accelerator, engine stumbled, pressed further on accelerator, engine stumbled, loss of power, check engine light flashing, violent shaking when trying to accelerate to safe speed on -ramp, light went out after a period of 1 - 2 minutes. Had to pull off side of road to avoid traffic as I was unable to accelerate. This was the second incident for this truck. Ford engineering to my service department that there was no fix but they were aware of the issue.

- Wilder, KY, USA

Sep 232013

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to merge into traffic I pressed the accelerator to the floor to get the truck up to the speed of traffic flow.I had no response from the engine for approx 1 to 2 seconds. This put me in a very dangerous situation as I had to get on the brakes hard to slow the vehicle on the on ramp to keep from getting hit by the faster traffic on the highway. In addition the traffic behind me had to rapidly slow down to keep from hitting me.we took the vehicle into the Ford dealership on Monday 30 Sept 2013. This was ruidoso Ford in ruidoso New Mexico. They checked the vehicle and said there was no problem with it and that they knew of no other problems of this type on 2013 F-150 fx-4 pickup trucks. I am still in the talking stages with them about this problem as I feel they have made little effort to solve it and the research I have done indicates that Ford Motor Corporation is aware of this problem. (this problem has happened to me several times since I purchased this vehicle, I thought that after the break in period, as the truck was new when purchased this problem would go away but it has not. Also this truck does not get the gas mileage that it is claimed to get.

- Laluz, NM, USA

Sep 292013

F-150 6-cyl

Ford F-150 ecoboost loss of power. - trying to pass a semi on the highway when the vehicle stumbled after a downshift, lost power, check engine light flashed, and the vehicle started to shudder. Tried to pull off of side of road but once I was able to get over to the median, the light stopped flashing and the shudder went away as did the light. It was in the mid 60S, I had traveled about 120 miles on the highway at about 70 mph in Ohio on I-75 South of toledo. It had been raining off and on all day.

- Wilder, KY, USA

Sep 192013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving at 48-50- mph when I decided to pass a cement truck that was going below the speed limit. As I pulled out to pass the truck everything seemed fine. When I got alongside the cement truck my truck started to hesitate and misfire. The engine light started flashing. I was stuck from going back as another car was behind me, also trying to pass the slow truck. I barely made it past the cement truck as an oncoming vehicle had to swerve into the shoulder to miss me and the vehicle behind me. When I returned home I looked up ecoboost problems on the internet and found numerous other people with the same problem. Thankfully no one was injured or killed today, I believe the it will only be a matter of time before there is a fatality if there hasn't been one already.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Sep 052013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

While driving from wilson, N.C. to swan quarter N.C. in the early morning hours on a fishing trip, I started to pass a slow school bus then my truck start jumping, loosing power and the check engine light started flashing. It almost caused me to have to ditch my truck to keep from hitting another vehicle. It was a very foggy morning and I had been driving at 50 and 55 mph for a long distance before this happened.

- Lucama, NC, USA

Jan 022013

F-150 6-cyl

This vehicle stalled out while passing another motorist a few days after we purchased it. We returned to the dealership where it was purchased and we were told by their service department that the truck had a recall on the inter cooler system. We were not aware of any problems occurring with this motor prior to purchasing. The inter cooler was "replaced" several months later and the vehicle still stalls and check engine light flashes without warning. We were told by dealership that no codes are showing up on the truck. The stalling incident has happened 10 times during various driving and weather conditions. We were told by dealership we would "just have to live with it". I no longer allow my children to ride in this vehicle due to the fact that it stalls without warning and I have almost been in a head on collision due to this problem when the vehicle died in the middle of the highway.

- Harrisonburg , LA, USA

Jul 302013

F-150 6-cyl

I get nowhere near the mileage the sticker has on the window.....states 21 miles to the gal hwy try 15-17. Someone needs to do some research this and stop falsely advertising because once you sign your name to that contract Ford will not buy it back!

- Jasper, AL, USA

Jul 022013

F-150 6-cyl

Weather: Raining and humid, temp: 73 degrees, speed: 65mph. After driving for approximately 40 miles on the highway (using cruise control), I attempted to accelerate and pass a car after coming off of highway onto a secondary road and truck began to surge as if it lost traction. Truck decreased power and threw check engine code P0300, light went off and cleared the code. Over the next 10 miles I attempted to replicate the issue but was unable to do so. Code has not returned.

- Carthage, NC, USA

May 222013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate with cruise control set approximately at 70mph, I stepped on the gas to accelerate past a vehicle. The truck did not respond but decelerated and the steering wheel began to shake. The check engine light flashed. I continued to drive and with only slight pressure to the gas to maintain speed. After approximately 5-10 seconds the vehicle regained power. The incident happened a second time, same conditions same results. The Ford dealer says its a known problem with parts back ordered. This seems unacceptable if its a know problem. Someone can get in a serious accident at highway speeds if they pulled out in fast moving traffic expecting acceleration to be there.

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 272013

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle is getting way below estimated mpg. Truck is barely getting 16 mpg while the false advertisement says the truck will get 17-21 mpg. This is a brand new truck and has those far shown false advertisement in gas mileage. Along with the mpg, when in cruise control the transmission down shifts all the way down to 2nd gear while driving at 50 mpg leaving the rpms at a high rate when it down shift. There is something wrong with the way this truck down shifts in cruise control. This needs to be looked into as this is not the way a 50K plus truck should be driving or the false representation of the mpg that Ford has claimed. If I had knew the mpg would have been this bad I would have considered a different vehicle.

- Baltimore, MD, USA