2013 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 102016

Ford's electronic power assisted steering (epas) system failed while I was driving in traffic at a slow rate of speed. The steering was very difficult to manage the truck to the side of the road. I turned off the truck and re-stared it, and the steering was fine. The same event happened 3 times before I could get the truck into the shop for the $2,000 replacement. Cannot believe that NHTSA has not recognized this as a systemic failure worthy of a recall. Hundreds of F150 trucks are having this problem. Only a brief amount of research on the internet reveals that this is a systemic failure issue.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 262016

On our 2013 F150 ecoboost, the power steering assist is an electric motor that is prone to failure. Ours failed at 27,000 miles. Losing power steering in a turn could be very dangerous as the vehicle is extremely difficult to control without it. Furthermore, the differential of effort would lead a person to believe their steering failed completely. There was no real warning that the power steering was about to fail aside from some cryptic warning messages on seemingly unrelated systems.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 022016

Received dash messages stating "service advance trac" and "hill descent control fault" resulting in inop full detent turn signals, yet 3-blink lane change retained function. Steering angle dash readout remained inop regardless of steering input. Returned vehicle to a Ford dealer for diagnosis. Was advised entire steering rack requires replacement. ## VIN passed ## Ford F150 2013 ##

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Jul 202016

First of all my truck just now hit 30,000 miles. When starting the truck 3 days ago it gave us a display message of 'power steering assist fault' and we had no power steering to back out of the driveway. I turned the truck off, waited a minute then back on it didn't happen again. The next day it happened again while starting. Did the same thing of turning off waiting then back on didn't do it. Backed out of the driveway and while going down the street to get about 30mph it faults again and we can't steer. Stop the vehicle in the middle of the road, thankfully still in our neighborhood and turn it back on. Made it to work. Got in truck to leave work and it happened again. Same process turing it off and on. Got home. Then again this morning it happened again with the fault display. Turned it off and on again. But this time it did it twice in a row. And had to be turned off again. Took it in for a diagnostic and nothing shows up!! of course!! drove to work. Had to run an errand and it did it again when I started it then again while I was driving down the street about 20mph, thankfully it wasn't too busy, I put on my hazards and turned truck off and on and finished driving. What happens when it happens on the highway" do I need to crash and kill someone or my family and kids to get a recall" the 2014 is recalled that uses same parts so I'm not sure why these aren't as well. Included is the picture taken this morning when it did it again.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

Jul 102016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. When the vehicle was started, the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The mechanic was unable to retrieve a fault code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jul 072016

Power steering made a grinding noise when the steering wheel was turned fully to the left. A warning regarding the stabilitrack system appeared on the dash. Subsequently while I was driving on a street power steering assist stopped, resulting in very difficult steering. My mechanic scanned the computer and found that the steering angle sensor failed.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Jul 032016

At times when turning left the power steering will just stop. Have to force it back to center. Sometimes drifts to left also. This is covered by a recall for 2014 but not 2013 and they use the same parts.

- Salem, IL, USA

Jun 262016

Received power steering assist fault and was unable to turn vehicle. Searching online Ford has recalled older models of the F150 but there are numerous complaints of this happening on several Ford models. This is a serious, serious safety issue. Further Ford is screwing customers over by not recalling these vehicles and making customers replace the entire steering rack at a cost of almost $2000 at minimum this should be included in extended warranties which it is not. Vehicle was reversing out of my garage when the fault occurred and it cannot be reset. The vehicle is now inoperable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 082016

When I turn on and place the truck in drive, my steering wheel locks up to where I cant use steering wheel, I get a error on dash stating "assist power steering failure. I place truck in park and turn vehicle off, and restart and problem seems fine, until steering wheel locks up while driving and I get this same error. Ford dealer is charging me $2000 to fix this problem. This could cause a major crash. I believe Ford should have this recalled and pay for this.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

May 202016

The service advance trac light came on when I started up my truck for the day. I lost all power steering control and the blinkers stopped working. My truck is a 2013 F-150 with only 38,000 miles. This is a serious safety problem that Ford knows about and you, the NHTSA knows about the problem. It is time that something is done about this safety problem. Is everybody going to wait like GM did until there are multiple fatalities before this is addressed? do something!

- Woodbury, GA, USA

Dec 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While operating the vehicle, the traction control light would illuminate and the power steering would suddenly malfunction. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The power steering failures occurred on multiple occasions and eventually went out completely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic power assist assembly malfunctioned. The electronic power assist assembly was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Nov 032015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while reversing, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel become difficult to maneuver and had to turn the engine off and restart the engine to be able to turn the steering wheel while in traffic. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic power assist sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V316000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximated failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Feb 062016

Vehicle has electric power steering. The power assist occasionally quits while you are driving the vehicle, creating an extremely dangerous situation.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

Jan 212016

I purchased my 2013 Ford F150 three weeks ago, certified pre-owned from mountain view Ford in chattanooga, tn. While pulling out of my driveway this morning, the truck was engaged in 4X4H mode, (due to inclement weather) it started making a terrible popping noise that sounded like the front left tire was coming off as I was turning to the right. I pulled over and let the car idle for a while. I then kept driving and when going up a steep hill it started doing it again, so I pulled over at a gas station and the loud popping/banging noise happened again as I was turning left this time. It was so loud it startled the customers who were fueling their vehicles. Sounded like a piece of metal snapping in two. Is this related to NHTSA # 10058199" or Ford tsb 44964" I had to disengage the 4X4H and put my truck back in 4X2H a to make the noise stop. We had icy roads this morning, which is the reason I purchased a 4X4 to begin with.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Oct 192015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion gear assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,637.

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Jul 272015

While making a left hand turn at approximately 15 miles an hour the power steering went out and I got a "power steering assist fault" warning. No prior warning of any problems that this might be about to happen. Fortunately one of my teenage daughters were not driving it. They would not have been able to make the turn. Took it to dealership and it was out of warranty due to mileage and not included in power-train warranty. And no recalls on this item, although through research I see there is one for the 2014 year model. The dealership has informed me that it will cost me 1800 dollars for the repair.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jun 242015

While driving I had an immediate loss of the power steering. It changed to manual steering without any warning. If I had been driving on the interstate or at a higher rate of speed I could have had a major accident. I see the Ford cars are recalled for this same issue. I also noticed the 2015 has a recall for steering issues. Apparently, the 2013 has issues also. This was a scary situation that is a huge safety risk. I couldn't drive the truck once I got it parked on the side of the road. I had to get it towed to the dealer for repair. Ford will charge us about $1500 to repair it.

- Sycamore , GA, USA

Jun 082015

The truck makes a grinding/popping sound when turning over any terrain. Feels like something is loose or a wheel is going to fall off.

- Acton, CA, USA

May 242015

I was driving down the road at 55 mph and without warning my steering wheel all of a sudden got very stiff and difficult to steer and immediately 2 messages came up on the dash reading "service advancetrac" and " electrical power assisted steering fault". as I panicked to changed lanes and get to the shoulder I was almost struck by another vehicle by the lag caused by the power steering failure. Turning became very exhausting and tedious just to change lanes or turn the tires. I tried starting and re-starting my truck, but to no avail. The day I got my truck towed home, I parked it and have not touched it since, for I fear my life will be in danger if I drive it in those conditions again. I am aware of other recalls of previous and later model years of my same vehicle from other owners with the same issues. If this hasnt been brought to the attention of Ford Motor Company, yet, I hope it does before some serious/fatal incidents occur, such as mine, becuase of this particular problem.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 012015

I was driving down freeway and went to exit and heard a sound with a warning light with advancetrac service and power steering default. I was unable to move my steering more than just a few inches left or right and stopped immediately. I had to get it towed to the dealership do to the steering was unable to function any longer.

- Pearland, TX, USA