1.3

2001 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-250:

2001 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Oct 142016

F-250

Spark plug blown out of head. Spark plug #7 blew out 9 months ago. Now plug #8 blew out. Mechanic says it's due to poor design of aluminum head and insufficient threads. Both times, this happened while coasting at a slow speed (< 30 mph).

- Arvada, CO, USA

Sep 172016

F-250

The sparkplug blew out for the second time. The first time was about 9 months ago. Running fine then about 40 mph the plug blew out

- Elyria, OH, USA

May 162016

F-250

I was in the process of running a medical in my personal truck when I starting the engine it popped and when I checked it out I noticed the engine blew out a spark plug. So when I called the parts store they said the type of motor I have in my truck is bad for blowing them like that and to fix it would cost a pretty penny so my question is if you all and Ford knows theres a problem how come they dont have to fix I know so far it hasnt been an saftey issue yet when will it be or is it a consumer issue.

- Danbury, NC, USA

Jan 262016

F-250

While traveling at approximately 35 mph on a city street, the spark plug was blown out of the cylinder destroying the threads, coil pack and spark plug.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 182016

F-250

Spark plug blowout.when driving on the highway had a sparkplug blow out of the engine.limped the truck home slowly with gas fumes every were.very dangerous. Ford wont admit they have a problem but they do have a fix.your dollars not theres.this is also the second time this has happened to me.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Aug 182014

F-250 8-cyl

Motor ejected #3spark plug on passenger side.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

May 022013

F-250 4WD 8-cyl

While I was driving along a hilly, winding road the engine of my 2001 F-250 diesel 4X4 truck unexpectedly shut off. I lost steering and braking. There were no lights on the dash. There was no prior indication of any problem with the engine or electrical system. I've had the truck for 12 years at the time and never experienced any problem like this. I was very fortunate to have been able to get the truck to the road's shoulder. After the truck stopped I put the shift into park. The key was still in the run position. I simply turned it to the start position and the engine started right up. I took it immediately to the local Ford dealer who ran diagnostics on the truck. They found no indication of a problem other than one battery's voltage was slightly low, but not out of acceptable range. I replaced both batteries as they were almost 3 years old. So far, I've not experienced this problem again.

- Saluda, NC, USA

Aug 182011

F-250

The plugs blew!! this has happened repeatedly and as of now(7-2-2014) all have been replaced. Im sure that will start again but this is quite an expensive problem. My truck had 8 plugs...thank god they don't all blow at once!!

- Summerville, GA, USA

Jun 172013

F-250 8-cyl

Was driving truck all of sudden I heard a loud pop then loud sound coming from under the hood. Called husband and took truck back home (approximately 2 miles). Husband started researching problem and found online that several people have had spark plugs explode and heard similar sound, this caused him to remove wires and inspect spark plugs. One of the spark plug had popped out and now the threads can't be used. I believe this is a known problem and Ford should be responsible for the damage.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Nov 042012

F-250 8-cyl

2001 Ford F150 was sitting out in driveway of owner's home. He had been home approx 1/2 hours when owners vehicle was on fire coming from the engine compartment. No fire damage to the inside cab of owners vehicle.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA