2.5

2001 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-250:

2001 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Nov 162011

F-250 8-cyl

Vehicle was parked in my garage and at 2:30 am smoke alarms went off and smoke was coming out of garage and my house burned down. Fire investigator told me was from faulty cruise control switch on Ford F250.

- Gilmer, TX, USA

Jul 072011

F-250 Diesel

July 7, 2011, my 2001 Ford F250 diesel, caught on fire while my truck was in driveway. I was able to put fire out but my truck was rendered inoperable. Ford has claimed several things that caused the fire including a backfire (which diesels do not do) and the mechanics I have had to look at it, including the local Ford dealer's mechanic, came to the same conclusion, it was the cruise control. Ford refuses to fix my vehicle, and I have been without transportation since then. I do not have the almost $3,000 that it will cost to fix my truck.

- Mineola, TX, USA

Aug 012011

F-250

The truck was parked inside a metal building when the fire occurred around 1:41 a.M. while business was closed. Fire originated from a failure in the brake switch mounted on the master cylinder resulting in the vehicle being destroyed and damage to the building and contents.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Sep 082010

F-250

My 2001 F 150 super crew start on fire in a parking lot I live in Mexico but this truck was made in the usa, the fire started about 45 minutes after the engine was turned off.

- Queretaro, 00, USA

Apr 252009

F-250

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F250. While the vehicle was parked in the driveway with the engine turned off, the owner heard a loud popping noise. He went outside and noticed flames underneath the hood of his vehicle. The fire department arrived and extinguished the fire. There were no injuries. The siding melted off of the house and some of his work materials and trees next to the house were burned. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. NHTSA campaign id number 06V286000 (vehicle speed control) was discovered; however, the manufacturer would not disclose whether or not the vehicle was included. The owner was informed that an investigator may inspect the vehicle. The current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jan 132008

F-250

I was woken up by someone knocking on my apartment door to let me know that my truck was on fire. I attempted to put the fire out by filling cooking pans with water and dousing the flames but to no avail. The fire dept along with the police showed up and the front part of the truck is all burned up.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 182008

F-250

Truck caught fire sitting in the driveway due to cruise control switch that was on recall list. I knew nothing of the recall until the fire department told me that was what happened.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Sep 032008

F-250

What good is it to respond to a recall of a F150 cruise control when they don't have the parts and you have to make 3-4 trips to get the work done. Then they say they have the part but don't do the work and your back again.....I'm a long time Ford customer but this is ridiculous...then your Agency urges motorists to respond to the recall....how about kicking those Ford execs in their pockets.

- League City , TX, USA

Jul 272005

F-250 8-cyl

2001 Ford Expedition ignited into flames causing our clients mobile home and all of it contents to be lost. Fire department stated that the fire originated in the vehicle.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

May 312007

F-250 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F250. Approximately fifteen minutes after parking the vehicle, the contact noticed flames underneath the hood. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. Recall # 06V286000 (vehicle speed control) was found. As of June 6, 2007, the dealer has been unable to determine the cause of the fire. The current and failure mileages were 185,000. Updated 08/29/07

- Howell, MI, USA

May 282006

F-250 4WD 10-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 60 mph on flat ground, with the cruise control engaged, my truck floored the gas pedal. I had to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The truck just took off, like it had a mind of its own. Since then I have not, and will not use the cruise control. I will not use the cruise control again. It was very shocking, and took the wind out of me. It could have easily caused an accident. I missed the car in front me by inches. I will never use the cruise control on my truck again.

- Holmes, NY, USA

Jan 282006

F-250 4WD

Ford 2001 blew up into flames while parked in drive way while vehicle was off. Total loss.

- Corpus Christ, TX, USA

Mar 122005

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

The accelerator pedal failed. The cause has yet to be determined. Accelerator pedal stop working sporadically. Mainly happened when going through intersections.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

May 242002

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Consumer was behind another vehicle with the clutch engaged. The vehicle suddenly took off and almost hit another car. The consumer had to shut off the engine to stop the vehicle. The brakes were inoperative and the clutch was stuck to the floor.

- Laport, MN, USA

Apr 302002

F-250

While trying to apply brakes to slow down vehicle unexpectedly started to accelerate. Cause unknown contacted dealer, and dealer could not determine the cause.

- Peroia, AL, USA

Apr 012001

F-250

While applying brakes and slowing down engine will continue to surge and accelerate. This problem is causing an increase in stopping distance and trouble maintaining control of truck. Could not determine a cause for this problem. Please provide any additional information / attachments.

- East Greenbush, NY, USA