9.1

1. spark plug after spark plug, or a new engine or re tap head (11 reports)
  2. replace head or get fulltorque sparkplug insert (6 reports)
  4. repair with insert (2 reports)
  5. replace head & retap plug (1 reports)
2002 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-250:

2002 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 182016

F-250 EX CAB V8

click to see larger images

shot out a spark plug

I just replaced my spark plug and coil pack started my truck spark plug blew and my truck caught on fire! I'm sooooo angry because Ford knows of this problem. Thank God no one was hurt and my house didn't burn down. Thanks to the OFD for saving my house. My truck is a total loss.

- , Buzzards Bay, MA, USA

Oct 202015

F-250 XLT 5.4L

The truck blew out a plug several years ago and the dealer who I bought the truck from and who had just a few weeks before changed the plugs installed a helicoil at no cost to me, they have since gone out of business, Courtesy Ford of Elizabeth City, North Carolina.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 212007

F-250 5.8L V8

This problem was fixable, but frightening when it occurred. It could completely destroy the engine.

- , North East, MD, USA

Sep 092013

F-250 5.8L V8

This happened previously, at 54,030 miles, Same issue and solution.

- , North East, MD, USA

Nov 022012

F-250 LX 5,4

This is the 3rd time this has happened to this truck. These plugs were always maintained by the Ford garage before this started happening. My fear is that it will continue to occur and eventually it will ruin my engine. This is definitely a Ford design error. If they were going to use aluminum heads they should have put metal inserts in the plug holes when they were first put together and this would not be happening. It should not be an expense I should be liable for every few months and fearing an accident that will injure someone. Also, this problem really lowers the value of my truck because it's becoming so well known that it would be a difficult to sell it. Love my truck otherwise, but this is really making Dodge look good.

- , carterville, MO, USA

Jan 302014

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L

This is the second time I have had a plug blow out in this truck, seems like a common problem but Ford will do nothing to help. Tranny went, also another$ 3000. No more Fords for me

- , Millbury, MA, USA

Sep 262013

F-250 5.4L

Obviously an on going problem for the Ford Triton v-8 5.4 liter. this happened twice to my truck and I have heard its happened to many other ford owners. Time for a recall Ford.

- , North Andover, MA, USA

Sep 232013

F-250 XLT 6.8L V10

sPARK PLUG BLEW OUT WITH ENOUGH FORCE TO RUIN THE COIL AND THE PLUG. i HAD TO PURCHASE A PLUG INSERT KIT, RETAP THE HOLE, THREAD IN AN INSERT WITH SLEEVE RETAINER. TRUCK WAS DOWN FOR 3 DAYS DUE TO THE WEATHER AND A TRUCK TOO BIG TO PUT IN THE GARAGE. JUST A SERIOUS PAIN IN THE ASS!

- , Billings, MT, USA

Jun 052009

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L Triton V8

i bought used 2002 f250 v-8 with all options in 2008. truck was extremely well taken care of with all receipts from estate of original owner who babied this truck only drove it to work less then ten miles from his home never plowed with it or loaded it. since i have owned it i have blown 6 sparkplugs @ a cost of avg. 350.00 apiece to fix plus coil packs which always got destroyed. also cracked fuel rail when plug shot out and got bounced around. im starting class action suit against ford for their negligence and not recalling these faulty dangerous engines. ill post info if anyone wants to join suit to make ford responsible for this known design flaw. I was a loyal ford guy.

- , Middleboro, MA, USA

Apr 022013

F-250

Third spark plug to blow in less than three years!!!

- , Maugansville, MD, USA

Mar 142012

F-250 XLS 6.8L

Same problem as all the rest of the Ford truck failures. Too bad the consumer has to pay for the mistakes of a large company that does not care at all about the consumer. This is the last Ford I will ever buy.

- , Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 022012

F-250 XLS 6.8L

This is not the first plug to blow on this truck. I think Ford should be doing something about this because I have read hundreds of the same complaint. This will be the last Ford truck I will ever buy. Chevy and Dodge looking better every day.

- , Oxford, MI, USA

May 282012

F-250 5.4L

driving down the road #3 plug blew out. now i hear its a common problem.Ford should let the public know about this problem.I have been driving Ford products all my life BUT this may be coming to an end after this crap.cost me $100 to get it hauled home don't what the repair cost will be.this is bulls**t.

- , Mineral Wells, TX, USA

Aug 102010

F-250 Super Duty V10

This was the first time it "spit" out a plug. We of course were miles from home. My complaint seemed to fall on deaf ears and it seemed like I waas the very first to have this problem. After checking further it seems like a common problem that will cost a bundle to "Maybe" fix.

Oct 122010

F-250 Super Duty V10

Second time it "spit" out a plug. Of course we were on vacation and had to have it towed to a Ford dealer. I have AAA so no cost there. Was early afternoon on a Friday but Ford got it done by 5 and we were on our way. Asked what I should do about this and was told I should check the tourque on my spark plugs every so often. RIGHT--I am sure that the big bosses ot Ford have that done for them on a regular basis.

Jul 112011

F-250 Super Duty V10

Since I only drive this on trips and have only put 16,000 miles on it in 16 months since I bought it I would not expect that this would be the 3rd plug spit out in that time. I was so upset I removed what was left of the coil and drove it 50 miles on 9 cylinders. My friend is a service manager at a Ford dealer and took pity on me and fixed it for about 1/2. Of course I has purchased a coil and plug myself so the only cost was the new sleeve and of course labor.

When do I get rid of this truck? Should I try to have the remaining 7 cyclinders sleeved? Would this solve the problem? Would the dealers give me a deal on the remainding cyclinders? I am about ready to tear my hair out. It seems to me that Ford either refuses to acknowledge this problem or just doesn't care. I am looking to replace my car soon and I don't think that Ford is in the running.

Mar 272011

F-250 Super Duty V10

Seems to be a known defect on the Triton Engines (V10 in this case) that the Ford dealer refuses to admit might be a defective head ...

The dealer blamed this on the unknown mechanic who replaced the plugs at 60K (4-5 years ago before I got the truck). I had to replace head, retap plug, $700 non-ford fix for plug.

- , Reno, NV, USA

Feb 262011

F-250 SuperDuty V10

I expect that the manufacturer will take responsibility for this design flaw.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Mar 112010

F-250 Superduty 5.4L

Well if i had it to do over i would not purchase the 5.4 because i can not take a trip wondering if the plugs are go to blow out and leave on on the side of road again or not this makes two plugs that has blow out #7 and #3 and I am a ford man but I'm about to change because of this problem yes it is a easy fix but the point is if i can't go 100 miles down the road wonder if i can make it back that is not the ford truck that i what.

- , Teaberry, KY, USA

Feb 022011

F-250 Superduty 5.4L

second plug to blow so ford you need to do something because this is not the fords that i what to purchase in the future

- , Teaberry, KY, USA