8.6

1. heli-coiled plug back in temporarily (18 reports)
  3. installed stainless steel spark plug inserts (1 reports)
  4. replaced the ignition coil and inserted new spark plug (1 reports)
2003 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford F-250:

2003 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 152009

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L V8

I was pulling out at an intersection when I heard a noise and my truck seemed to lose power. I drove it about 5 miles and it only had about 50% power. When I blew the spark plug my truck was out of warranty so I had it towed to a local mechanic. They were able to replace the spark plug and coil (spark plug #3), but recommended I take it to a dealer to have the remaining spark plugs replaced because the spark plugs in ford trucks tend to stick and if they do a ford dealer would be the best place to have it fixed. I didn't know at the time how bad it could be to replace the spark plugs in my truck until I blew the same plug on 1/3/2012 while driving on a interstate in rush hour traffic.

- , Keene, KY, USA

Aug 292011

F-250 SuperDuty 5.4L

I started my engine and POP. The spark plug popped out. I took the truck to my local dealer and they want about $700 to fix it and they are trying to up sell me saying my intake manifold is needs replacing and they got the bid up to $2500. Seems expensive right. So I called ford and they act surprised, like they have never heard of the problem before. This is my 3rd ford truck, I have been loyal ford guy for a since I was old enough to drive. Ford needs to step up recall this problem, or at least offer repair assistance.

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Apr 012011

F-250 V8

Hello and I'm sorry your having issues with your Truck. I love Ford Trucks but this problem with spark plugs jumping out is not standard with Ford tradition of excellence. This is the 2nd times its happen to me and I cant imagine how much this is going to cost. Ford needs to look into this and take care of its customers. The first time my plug jumped out I was driving down the road, the 2nd time I started my truck and Bam!! The treads are to short and thats the bottom line.

I have 108,000 miles on my truck. Thats just getting broke in for Ford standards. Come on Ford lets get this squared away and take care of your customers. USA what a great Country!!

The Stoudtman!!

- , Sheridan, IL, USA

Mar 052011

F-250 XLT 5.4L V8

Unlike other peoples complaints I wasn't driving when the spark plug blew through the head. I went to start the truck and pop the plug flew out. I called our local autoparts store and they hooked me up with a kit that was designed to fix this problem, ( not a heli-coil) big mistake. Now I have to spend more money to put a heil-coil in it. This is starting to become a real pain, I am looking to trade my truck in for a diesel but now I cant until the problem is fixed. Ford should recall those parts since they have now redesigned the threads from 5 to 12 to accommodate this problem.

- , Sugar Grove, OH, USA

Sep 202010

F-250 5.4L Triton

Driving down the road doing about 55mph...pop!!!!!!!

Pull over and found out my #4 spark plug shot out. Lucky for me there was no fire. Now I have to come up with the money to get this fixed...Just paid $1800 less than a year ago to have the tranny rebuilt. I wish I could look away like Ford has about this problem but I have 5 kids that depend on that truck.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 292010

F-250 6.8L V10

Ford really needs to fix this problem with the spark plug blowing out of the engine head. They know that they have a problem, but don't want to admit it. I have a v10 triton with 86,000 mi. and just bought it used and about two months later it blew a spark plug. It has the factory spark plugs in it and for ford to blame this issue on the mechanic is bs(ford blames mechanic of over torquing of spark plug when tunning up vehicle, but my plugs are factory installed). This is a poor engineering issue because not only is this an aluminum head it has only three threads that hold the spark plug in the aluminum head. I'm no engineer but I do know that aluminum is a weaker metal than the old cast iron and that if you use a weaker metal then you should at least make sure you have enough threads to hold something steel or a spark plug. Sounds like a bunch of people have this problem with ford and any vehicle with aluminum heads. This could be a big safety issue while driving down the road for many reasons and should be recalled for that reason. So Ford needs to man up and fix this problem at their expense and not at the expense of the consumer. What ever happened to standing behind your product?

- , Mounds, OK, USA

Jun 012009

F-250 Super Duty 4x4 5.4L V8

Something had been feeling "weird" for a while, like a hesitation between 40-50mph. I thought it was a transmission issue. Before I could have it looked at, a friend borrowed the truck and horse trailer and went to Texas (we're in central Illinois). She was driving on the interstate and heard a loud "pop" sound, pulled over, and found a spark plug lying on top of the engine. I local mechanic heli-coiled the plug in to get her home and noted that there were 2 other loose plugs. I had my mechanics replace the head with a good used one from a salvage yard. Then I sold the horrid truck, it never met my expectations anyway. I went back to Chevy!

- , Lincoln, IL, USA

Jun 022009

F-250 Lariet 5.4L

I would like to join the Ford "spark plug jumped out club". I am already a member of "opps my front end fell off".

- , Waterloo, WI, USA