8.6

1. heli-coiled plug back in temporarily (18 reports)
  3. installed stainless steel spark plug inserts (1 reports)
  4. replaced the ignition coil and inserted new spark plug (1 reports)
2003 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford F-250:

2003 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 142015

F-250 XLT 5.4L

This is the second time this problem has occurred.

Jun 122015

F-250 XLT 5.4L

This problem causes a loss of vehicle for several days

Mar 252016

F-250 XLT 5.4L

This is the third time this has happened in nine months. Number 8 plug blow out, a fire started and burnt the fuel injector and wiring harness.

Dec 272014

F-250 Lariat 5.4L

In December 2014 My truck spit out a spark plug, and I had it fixed with a heli-coil temporary. Then In March of 2016 a second plug was spit out on the same side. Passenger, this is a problem that Ford must correct.

- , Telephone, TX, USA

Apr 052016

F-250 XLT 5.4L

This is the fourth time this has occurred and it is ridiculous.

Dec 092015

F-250 Lariat 5.4L

Ford 5.4 liter motor with aluminum heads, 2 or 3 threads at each plug port. Major engineering defect that Ford won't do anything about.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Jan 152011

F-250 XL 5.4L V8

At 130k, spark plug ejected from engine, repair done with motor in vehicle

At 133k, second spark plug ejected from engine, threads in aluminum head damaged, repair done with motor in vehicle

At 140k,third spark plug ejected, motor removed, all eight plugs repaired with stainless steel inserts.

- , Windsor, USA

May 062015

F-250 XL 5.4L

3rd plug from the front on passenger side blew out stripping the threads in head and destroying the coil.

This is a well known problem on the 5.4. Fortunately, Firestone was familiar with it and able to fix it in 2 hours.

- , Indianola, IA, USA

Jan 092015

F-250 6.8L

This is second one that has blown the plug out of engine v10. I think Ford motor had better give some help with the problem. Its an engine problem that they build. Not a happy camper. I have been a Ford owner all my life and am 70 years old. Maybe think something next time if Ford don't get their act together and help us out.

- , Lenox, IA, USA

Dec 112014

F-250 Lariet V10

This is the second plug in my truck that has blown out. Each time it blows the coil off as well. When I pull in Ford dealer they hear me drive in and are smiling and state "Blew a plug..." Ford should fix this design/factory problem. They know it's an issue. They came up with a retro fix for the damn problem. They know.

- , Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 232014

F-250 6.8L

TRUCK WAS IDLING THEN WENT TO GO AND PLUG CAME OUT. GOOD THING I WASN'T GOING FULL BORE DOWN THE ROAD. IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THESE ENGINES. SO I THINK FORD SHOULD STAND BEHIND THEM AS THIS IS NOT JUST A FEW. I HAVE BEEN A FORD OWNER ALL MY LIFE AND THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. I THINK IT IS ENGINE PROBLEM WITH THEIR ENGINES. THEY SHOULD HELP OUT WITH REPAIRS. I WILL THINK ABOUT ANOTHER BRAND OF TRUCK NEXT TIME I BUY, IF THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING.

- , Lenox, IA, USA

Aug 082014

F-250 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

spark plugs loose, jump out spark plugs loose, jump out

3rd plug blew out on driver's side. Do not like the fix method. Know it will cause problems later. Such a cheap head for such a well known company.

- , Sturgis, KY, USA

Aug 312014

F-250 XLT 5.5L V8

Pulling small empty trailer with my F250 when the engine sparkplug blew out causing huge loss of power! Had to swerve into the muntain side to prevent head on collision. Fortunately no one was injured, but unknown if any damage to chassis/suspension. This could have easily turned into a injury/fatality!

- , Cloudcroft, NM, USA

Dec 122011

F-250 XLT 5.4L Triton

Rear plug of passenger bank blew, also ruined coil. had the ford garage insert what is similar to a helicoil. It was a threaded insert developed to hold in the head. It supposedly has a flared end to cleat to the underside of the head. Evidently ford knew they had a problem with this issue so they designed these inserts. After installing the insert and a new plug the head gasket is now leaking at the rear of the head on the passenger side where the repairs were made. Estimates to replace the head gasket were extensive approx. $ 3000.00. I can't afford to dish out three grand for something that may have been a result of work done at the garage. If there is a class action suit for this problem I would like to be involved.

Respectfully Yours

T Cashman

- , Waternille, ME, USA

Jun 282010

F-250 Superduty 4X4 5.4L V8

5 sparkplug shot out of the head when starting my truck.

towed to dealership for repair as i bought the extended warranty and 'that's not covered' was the reply i got.

the truck only had 69,462 miles on it.

it currently has 98,000 and i'm scared to death to even start the engine.

- , Chebanse, IL, USA

Jan 312011

F-250 XLT V10

AGAIN Husband is driving to Kalispell,110 miles away , calls me about 65 miles from home. AGAIN ARE YOU NUTS there went another spark plug........................Hard to leave my job and go get him, then pay for a tow truck to come get it............WHAT THE HELL...............................WHAT?????????????????????? Shoul of bought new truck from Dodge or Chevy or anything but a FORD.. Raides with fords actually believed in them..............................................GHad it fixed have to can not afford to buy another one thats for sure and wait for this to be the same problem that FORD is not backing..............RECALL, RECALL,,RECALL,,COME ON.......This is our lively hood vechile how is your running???????????????????

Oct 222011

F-250 XLT V10

ARE YOU KIDDING NOT AGAIN! Husband is trying to run our business and take the trash to the dumpsters, and guess what...............POP What the hell we very rarely drive this truck we were trying today to figure out what to do about this truck with winter coming and the feer of me getting lost out in the snow and cold of Montana with the spark plug problems. Sell it and give someonelse this problem that is what Ford did to us, NO THAT IS NOT AN OPTION yes there are some honest people left in theis world, and yes we pay FORDS EMPLOYEES WAGES.

We are not sure what we are going to do how many people can afford to buy a $45,000 plus new truck in 8 year time??? expecially when the Manufactor does not even know their product??????????????? 4 PLUGS COME ON !! IN 8 YEARS Never missed a payment and always bought FORD What the hell good is it to back an American MAde company if they treat there customers like this?????????

By the way I am American MADE ALSO BUT I WOULD NEVER TREAT MY CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS AND I DO NOT GET THE MONEY FORD DOES, BUT ATLEAST I HAVE A PRIDE IN MY SMALL FAMILY BUSINESS THAT I STAND BEHIND. RECALL RECALL, RECALL IT is not the Customers fault that FORD BUILT THIS PEACE OF S---- WILL NOT BACK IT.....................

Send all of these complaints to the CEO of Ford and I guarantee he will not even read them or care......I have never been able to buy a brand new vechile in my life. I have alkways been so proud of my Ford F250 but the last 4 years have been HELL../ Everyone kept telling me "complain all you want Ford does not care neither does the Dealership in Libby, Montana that you bought it from. Well I do and it about time someone did something about this.

Jun 022008

F-250 XLT V10

I was alone as a women by myself at 11PM in the parking lot of a Lowes 110 miles from home. Had a Trailer loaded with treated lumber I was taking home. I started the motor and it popped loud. Please remember I had to load on the side of the builiong so it was really dark and I was by myself in a medium city. I sut it off and then I started it I had no idea what happend. Then it sounded like popcorn poppintg, I thought that I was really low on oil, then I opend the hood there was oil all over the hood of my truck and the oil cap was laying on the ground. I had to get to another store because Lowes was closed now and there is only one store out there open that time of night and it was on the otherside of the Interstate Hwy 93 in Montana. I bought oil and put 1 qt in. After I check the dip stick and there was no oil on it. Still no oil was on the stick. There was a lotof oil on the motor and on the ground. I put one more qt in and then checked the dip stick it finally read oil. I started it and thed sound makes you shut it off right a-way. I have never in all the years of working on cars and truck(I grew up on a ranch and have mechanice family and friends) I have never heard a spark plug blow out of the head. My husband and friends came to get me because he is a mechanice and was worried about what happen, We had to tow the trailer home and go back (330 miles altogether do to Fords defects) and get my truck. Took to a Ford dealer to fix never siad a word accept that this is happening a lot in these trucks, but you are good now. TRUSTED THEM.........

Dec 242009

F-250 XLT V10

We got the phone call that my dad passed away by the way it was DECEMBER 24, 2009 in my home town at 11:30 a.m.. My home town is 18-hours from where we live in Montana, they live in Colorado. We decided to go throught Colorado Springs way because throught Utah there are less traffic and it was a holiday and there is a strech that is 140 miles nothing. The three of us headed to Colorado by 3 pm or so, at around 5 a.m. we were in Wyoming and it was a chill factor of 45 below zero and in a snow storm. Not a town to be seen and then it happen and we blew a spark plug. ARE YOU KIDDING? NOT AGAIN We still had at least6-8 hrs to go just to get to Colorado Springs and still 5 more to get to my parents home, but 25 more miles to a town. We had to keep driving becuase of the weather situation. Used a Ford web site that our son found whom we called to help us, for GOD SAKE IT IS X-MAS MORNING. The site said we could remove the fuel injection and drive just creep. It took us over 8 hrs to get to Colorado Springs, nothing open all the way.........Found a dealer on Monday 4 days after we were in C/S CO.(3 days weekend Holiday)by the way my family is still waiting for me to get there. They fixed it and were so understanding of our situation at the Chapel HIlls Ford dealership they got us right in and on the road that day.

FORD BACK YOU PRODUCTS IT COULD NOT EVEN GET ME HOME THE FIRST TIME OR EVEN TO MY DADS DEATH ON TIME COME ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IT WAS BOUGHT OFF THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR AND PAID OFF 2 YEARS EARLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IT IS ONLY 6YEARS OLD AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME

Jan 032012

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L V8

Right before Thanksgiving I had a routine grease job/oil change done and a couple days later I drove 660 miles to NJ. I let my truck sit for about a week and when I went to start it it sounded rough while at idol and thought it was due to the cold weather. I let it run for a few minutes and it seemed to smooth out. During the next 3 weeks I drove my truck a couple of times with no problems. On 1/3/2012 I started my drive back to KY. I drove about 480 out of 660 through the mountains of Maryland and West Virginia and was on I64, in the center lane, in a construction zone with no shoulders, in rush hour when I heard a sound which reminded me of a truck tire blowing out. When I turned off the radio the sound reminded me of the sound my truck made when I blew out the #3 spark plug 2 years prior. When I pressed the gas pedal the sound got worse and the thumping sound got faster. I was able to change lanes and get off at the next exit. Within minutes my engine stopped running and thankfully I was near a shoulder and traffic was able to get by me. I was towed all the way back home; all 180 miles back home. A friend who is a mechanic came over and immediate noticed spark plug #3 had blown out and was sitting on the engine. We attempted to replace the spark plug, but the spark plug would not catch and thread in. We believe the threads are stripped. I called a local Ford dealer to ask about the cost of a tune up and was told it would be $488 and it could be more if the spark plugs stick which occurrs frequently in my engine. After the failed attempt to replace the 3 spark plug I called the local Ford dealer back and asked about the cost to replace a blown spark plug and was told me the repair would cost at least $500 and need heli coil, but if the heli coil doesn't work I may need a new head to the tune of $2,000 or more. My truck is now at the dealer and I am waiting a call tomorrow and they check it out to see what it needs to fix the blown spark plug.

- , Keene, KY, USA