2001 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jul 192011

Focus 4-cyl

2001 Ford Focus SE 4 door sedan. 67,140 miles. Turn signal will not turn off automatically once turn is completed either turning left or right. Have to now turn off the signal manually. Happened on my way home from work on 7-19-2011. Nothing yet has been done to correct the failure other than an internet search to determine what might be wrong.

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 012010

The A/C evaporator core leaking refrigerant into vents of car. Fumes making driver and passengers nauseous as well as A/C failure.

- Pequea, PA, USA

Dec 282010

The ignition will not turn without large amounts of spray lubricant and pummeling the key while in the ignition to cause the tumblers in the cylinder to fall into place. This is a major safety issue, because it happens without warning, and right now, during these epic blizzards we are experiencing, it has caused me to be in danger. This problem is common among owners of this vehicle. Many people have developed ways to temporarily fix it since they don't have money available fix this unexpected safety issue, which is not part of preventative maintenance of an automobile.... while others have opted to just get the car towed to a dealership, which replaces the ignition assembly with the same faulty parts, and then charges up to $500. This ignition needs to be recalled by Ford, and it needs to be replaced free of charge with a reliable ignition assembly. This morning, after having to find other transportation to work for two days, I finally dedicated three hours to getting the ignition to turn. I had to leave the key in the ignition, because I cannot afford to lose my job by being absent or tardy. I am in an initial probationary period at my job, and I think it goes without saying that if I had enough money to fix Ford's mistakes, I would probably just go and buy a different car altogether.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Feb 152010

I tried to start my car and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition, therefore I was unable to start my car. It has only occurred this one time, I am having the ignition replaced.

- Merriam, KS, USA

Dec 222009

Turned off my 2001 Ford Focus (with only 36,320 miles on it) as usual and when I returned to car and attempted to start it up, the key would not turn in the ignition. Had to have it towed to the dealership where they had to drilled out the tab, and build and install new key cylinder for a total of $427.84. They did not offer the old part to me and I didn't think to ask for it. Thankfully, it happened during the day while I was at my dentist's, and not at night after work. Have since found out that a class action law suit has been filed in California. There should be a recall of these cars.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Aug 222008

I will start with the fact the car is on it's fourth battery. It has had the wiring harness replaced along with every sensor in the car some twice. There was a steering column recall done on it. The two back windows tracks have been broke a total of six times. The door handles brake three so far. The stereo is broke for the second time. I have had to do the brakes twice so far and all this and the car only has 63,498.8 miles.

- Oceanside, CA, USA