7.0

2. replace fan (1 reports)
  3. replaced thermostat (1 reports)
2001 Ford Focus cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Nov 012010

Focus 2.0L DOHC

It wasn't too bad, just annoying, caused overheating that didn't show correctly on the gauge and that made me replace the thermostat housing.

- , Alpine, UT, USA

Feb 052010

Focus SE 2.0L Dohc

i have a 2001 ford focus se wagon with a dohc it overheats.this will be the 3rd time this has happened since i bought the car. i bought the car used from a ford dealership the car had 57,000 miles on it when i bought it. i now have about 113,000 miles.i do not even have the car paid for yet.the first time this happened the ford dealer charged me 350.00 to fix the problem.the second time it happened i fixed the problem my self changed thermostat,seal, changed coolant for around 60.00 total.its the 3rd time now and im now pissed i think ford sold me a lemon. going to take the car to a mechanic i dont trust the ford dealership they find anyway to rip you off.my engine light,warning light and battery light came on.the owners manual says the car is equipped with a fail safe system on the 2.0L zetech engine only.the manual says that the engine coolant temp gauge will move to the red area.the multi function warning light:automatic transaxle/cooling system will light.if the engine reaches a present over heat condition the engine will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation.each disabled cylinder acts like an air pump to cool the engine.however when this happens the engine will still operate but the engine power will be limited the air conditioning will be disabled the check engine warning light illuminates. continued operation will increase the engine temp and the engine will completely shut down causing steering and braking effort to increase. once the engine cools off the car then be restarted and then they recommend that you take the car in for service as to not damage the engine.today is feb 6 2010 i dont know who is going to read this but if anyone lives hear on the east cost and lives near new jersey they all know that were having a blizzard great time getting home from work last night great time for this to happen again. im pissed

- , Tuckerton, NJ, USA

May 012006

Focus SE

It took the a/c to break before the mechanic could see why my car was constantly overheating. Since he couldn't buy the part that broke (used to cost $5), I had to purchase the entire fan. This plus the a/c cost over $1700!!

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Oct 012007

Focus

My boyfriend and I have recently discovered a new problem with the Focus. During the summer I am constantly having to run the AC, and even up till recently because of the unusual weather, but if we run the AC for any length of time, the car begins to overheat. I have had to check on the radiator fluid several times. There appears to be no leak anywhere, but it is going through the fluid like nothing. It can be a real pain in the ass when you have long distances to drive or even sitting in a drive through for food. This car is a real piece of crap. I do not recommend Fords to anyone.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA